PDA

View Full Version : RP warned Congress abt Nasdaq n Housing

Larry_for_Paul
01-03-2008, 02:10 AM
Congressional hearings

Dr Paul to Greenspan 3 weeks before the Nasdaq crash in 2000:

"It was suggested here that maybe you are running a policy that is too tight. Well, I would have to take exception to that, because it has been far from tight. I think that we have had tremendous growth in money. The last three months of last year might be historic highs for the increase of Federal Reserve credit. In the last three months, the Federal Reserve credit was increasing at a rate of 74 percent at an annual rate.

It is true, a lot of that has been withdrawn already, but this credit that was created at that time also influenced M3, and M3 during that period of time grew significantly, not quite as fast as the credit itself, but M3 was rising at a 17 percent annual rate.

Now, since that time, a lot of the credit has been withdrawn, but I have not seen any significant decrease in M3. I wanted to refer to this chart that the Federal Reserve prepared on M3 for the past three years. It sets the targets. For three years, you have never been once in the target range.

If I set my targets and performed like that as a physician, my patient would die. This would be big trouble in medicine, but here it does not seem to bother anybody. And if you extrapolate and look at the targets set in 1997 and carry that set of targets all the way out, you only missed M3 by $690 billion, just a small amount of extra money that came into circulation. But I think it is harmful. I know Wall Street likes it and the economy likes it when the bubble is getting bigger, but my concern is what is going to happen when this bubble bursts? I think it will, unless you can reassure me."

Dr Paul to Greenspan in July 2004:

"As the economy slowed in 2000, 2001, of course, there was an aggressive approach by inflating and lowering the interest rates to an unprecedented level of 1 percent. But lo and behold, when we look back at this, we find out that manufacturing really hasn't recovered, savings hasn't recovered, the housing bubble continues, the current account deficit is way out of whack, continuing to grow as our foreign debt grew, and consumer debt is rising as well as Government debt.

So it looks like this 1 percent really hasn't done much good other than prevent the deflating of the bubble, which means that, yes, we have had a temporary victory, but we have delayed the inevitable, the pain and suffering that must always come after the distortion occurs from a period of time of inflating.

So my question to you is, how unique do you think this period of time is that we live in and the job that you have? To me, it is not surprising that half the people think you are too early and the other half think you are too late on raising rates. But since fiat money has never survived for long periods of time in all of history, is it possible that the funnel of tasks that you face today is a historic event, possibly the beginning of the end of the fiat system that replaced Brenton Woods 33 years ago? And since there is no evidence that fiat money works on the long run, is there any possibility that you would entertain that, quote, ''We may have to address the subject of overall monetary policy not only domestically but internationally in order to restore real growth''?"

http://www.usagold.com/gildedopinion/greenspan-gold.html

Copperhed51
01-03-2008, 02:22 AM
Prophetic

sunray
01-03-2008, 03:37 AM
From the link, discussion on 2/17/2000

Mr. GREENSPAN. So our problem is not that we do not believe in sound money; we do. We very much believe that if you have a debased currency that you will have a debased economy. The difficulty is in defining what part of our liquidity structure is truly money. We have had trouble ferreting out proxies for that for a number of years. And the standard we employ is whether it gives us a good forward indicator of the direction of finance and the economy. Regrettably none of those that we have been able to develop, including MZM, have done that. That does not mean that we think that money is irrelevant; it means that we think that our measures of money have been inadequate and as a consequence of that we, as I have mentioned previously, have downgraded the use of the monetary aggregates for monetary policy purposes until we are able to find a more stable proxy for what we believe is the underlying money in the economy.

Dr. PAUL. So it is hard to manage something you can't define.

Mr. GREENSPAN. It is not possible to manage something you cannot define.

This is amazing stuff. Greenspan actually admitting that his job is NOT doable at all.

Larry_for_Paul
01-03-2008, 03:51 AM
We need to get these paul/greenspan discussion into the MSM after Iowa.

Anyone with any good ideas on how to do it?

AceNZ
01-03-2008, 04:55 AM

Greenspan was, until just recently, making the rounds pushing his new book.

What would be really cool is some kind of round table discussion / debate about monetary policy. I bet Greenspan and RP would attend. Set an agenda with lots of provocative topics, line up a host, get a couple more interesting people to agree to come (maybe Edward Griffin and someone from the Mises group like Lew Rockwell), rent some space at a hotel, invite the media. "The first serious debate about monetary policy in a campaign for president in the last 100 yrs"... Maybe the Mises group would sponsor it to give it some sense of "officialness".

hawks4ronpaul
01-03-2008, 05:00 AM

Send them to reporters who have done housing stories (do not overlook your local paper).

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

idiom
01-03-2008, 05:01 AM
Maybe RP set off the crash with all the fear mongering :D ?

hawks4ronpaul
01-03-2008, 05:15 AM
Maybe RP set of the crash with all the fear mongering :D ?

Rational sobriety, all this rational sobriety is "ruining" the economy.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

Larry_for_Paul
01-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Ok if anyone find this interesting, please forward to campaign and WSJ.

These historical records show that Dr Paul is a very good amateur historian of economics and not a kukoo. No one else in DC is close to his understanding of monetary policy.

You create bubbles by printing too much money out of thin air. Overcapacity follows, with the hardship that follows that again.

Take notice Kudlow!

bolidew
01-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Dr. Paul - right on the money.

freelance
01-03-2008, 08:48 AM
Maybe RP set off the crash with all the fear mongering :D ?

Um, NO! He merely stated the obvious.