PDA

View Full Version : RP campaign doesnt contact Iowa media??

RP4ME
01-02-2008, 09:48 PM
ON CSPAN : Tom beaumont - from the Des Moines register just said that RP's campaign has never called them liek the other campaigns do....WHAT GIVES? Jesse has some SPLAINING to do! WHY NOT???

Why have we not reached out to them?

lew
01-02-2008, 09:48 PM

Real_CaGeD
01-02-2008, 09:49 PM
No, the media is garbage.

skinzterpswizfan
01-02-2008, 09:50 PM
You could also argue that the campaign was purposely trying to stay under the radar in order that we shock everyone come caucus day, but who knows.

0zzy
01-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Stop believing the media. As if they ever gave us favors, and as if they ever told the truth.

patawa91
01-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Are you for Ron Paul. It seems like you would have a little more tact. I think the campaign is doing great. Tell us what else they have messed up. Seriously, I'd like to know.

fuzzybekool
01-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Why kiss the media's ass when the message can be directly sent to the people via the grassroots, phone calls, mailers, leaflet drops, slim jim drops, canvassing, youtube, blogging, facebook, sign waving, banners, myspace, rallys, and paid ads ?

pinkmandy
01-02-2008, 09:56 PM
I think they are doing okay but one of the big jobs of the campaign is to contact media. PR is VERY important.

Or maybe they didn't because the Register has been pretty fair with Paul coverage? Maybe they did contact other media outlets for coverage? I hate to assume to much and rush to judgment. We really don't know what the whole story is, kwim?

No1ButPaul08
01-02-2008, 09:59 PM
It could have been part of the plan. They didn't want to give any of their numbers away. If you watched the Drew Ivers video you will understand. He said something about the number of grassroots supporters doubling but he wanted to keep the specific numbers low key.

The guy on cspan was saying they had no clue about RP's numbers. He said he was a wild card. I think Ron Paul has an Ace.

Edit: If you also watched the Drew Ivers video you would get the sense that He knows what the fuck he's doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wo7G6j6bi4

ronpaulfan
01-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Because for the millionth time, the Campaign is garbage. They fuck things up constantly.

+1

austin356
01-02-2008, 10:05 PM
The campaign is full of incompetent people. Always has been always will be until Dr. Paul wins the nomination and the Party "flushes out" all the crap and brings in real political talent.

You have to remember Dr. Paul started this run thinking he was not going to go this far. He hired much of the same campaign staff as his 88 run. He should have brought back the Buchanan Brigade.

RSLudlum
01-02-2008, 10:10 PM
I don't know guys...if all goes right, the media will be running to the campaign!

steelhawk
01-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Because for the millionth time, the Campaign is garbage. They fuck things up constantly.

I approve this message.

tsetsefly
01-02-2008, 10:12 PM

yes, they are quite incompetent...

Ron Paul Fan
01-02-2008, 10:16 PM
He's lying. Why do you believe everything these guys say on tv? He wants to make it seem like the campaign is incompetent and cause a rift between supporters and the campaign. Looks like his plan worked and you fell for it.

Jodi
01-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Wasn't it the register that excluded Dr. Paul in their write ups on the republicans running for president?

tsetsefly
01-02-2008, 10:17 PM
He's lying. Why do you believe everything these guys say on tv? He wants to make it seem like the campaign is incompetent and cause a rift between supporters and the campaign. Looks like his plan worked and you fell for it.

there has been more than enough eveidence on these boards to show HQ is incompetent, but there is not much we can do about it, just another hurdle we must overcome!

RP4ME
01-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Why kiss the media's ass when the message can be directly sent to the people via the grassroots, phone calls, mailers, leaflet drops, slim jim drops, canvassing, youtube, blogging, facebook, sign waving, banners, myspace, rallys, and paid ads ?

But they didnt !!!! Tehy guy just says they see RP signs around - sorry but this is when it gets concerning. I dont liek hearing this....it was an off teh cuff comment - I odnt think he was LYING!

RP4ME
01-02-2008, 10:23 PM

PROVE IT THEN! Im just reporting what he said and NO not everything reported is al lie.....it wasnt in the context of trying to diss RP.....

walt
01-02-2008, 10:24 PM
+1

+how about some staff turnover?

literatim
01-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Drew Ivers and the Iowa campaign are competent.

transistor
01-02-2008, 10:30 PM

sad but true

walt

yeah that des moines register coverage has been....oh wait bascially non-existent

Jeremy

Um, no. Just stop.

John of Des Moines
01-02-2008, 10:32 PM
I know for the a fact the campaign has contacted the media starting with the June 30th Rally. I can't tell you the number of times I spoken to John Z., Drew Ivers, Jesse, Joe S., Lew Moore, and Kent about communicating with the media. It's the media that has a problem with Ron Paul. I think they're ticked off that the campaign doesn't lay-out a buffet spread for them... Or it's further evidence of Operation Mockingbird is still an ongoing program.

hsmith
01-02-2008, 10:33 PM
If they aren't going to report anything at all, why call them?

ronpaulitician
01-02-2008, 10:33 PM
The less the official campaign does, the better. We are the driving force behind this movement. If we can get third and/or 10% in Iowa, I think we must congratulate both ourselves and the official campaign (for not standing in our way).

No1ButPaul08
01-02-2008, 10:39 PM

Thank You. I'm trying to get this across. The strategy was to lay low in Iowa so our big night looks like a surprise and gives us a huge bump

It also kept us free from attacks and allowed us to run our campaign and not dealing with the MittHuck garbage

austin356
01-02-2008, 10:42 PM

I agree. I dont think the same can be said nationally though.

Avalon
01-02-2008, 10:43 PM
I suggest a new rule. Before posting a message (either reply or thread) in the grassroots section, ask yourself, "Does this post hurt the campaign?" In this subforum at least we should be trying to win a campaign, not sink it.

hsmith
01-02-2008, 10:45 PM
I suggest a new rule. Before posting a message (either reply or thread) in the grassroots section, ask yourself, "Does this post hurt the campaign?" In this subforum at least we should be trying to win a campaign, not sink it.
How would a simple question "hurt" the campaign?

walt
01-02-2008, 10:51 PM
I know for the a fact the campaign has contacted the media starting with the June 30th Rally. I can't tell you the number of times I spoken to John Z., Drew Ivers, Jesse, Joe S., Lew Moore, and Kent about communicating with the media. It's the media that has a problem with Ron Paul. I think they're ticked off that the campaign doesn't lay-out a buffet spread for them... Or it's further evidence of Operation Mockingbird is still an ongoing program.

Fox = favoritism.

However, with the rest of the media it's about the campaigns pathetic lack of execution, excuses and living in denial. It's called having a clue and being transparent frequently. They just don't get it. Certain grassroots people, including myself, totally do. I know how to do something this simple - then again - I didn't go on post incorrect information on ronpaul2008.com today and embarass thousands of supporters who asked people to watch Larry King tonight when he wasn't on.

examples of having a clue.
http://www.mikehuckabee.com/?FuseAction=Newsroom.PressRelease&ID=469

http://www.mikehuckabee.com/?FuseAction=Newsroom.PressRelease&ID=467

ah heck huckabee only had 5 press releases today to help the media navigate and have total transparency to his day.
http://www.mikehuckabee.com/?FuseAction=NewsRoom.PressReleases
http://www.mikehuckabee.com/?FuseAction=NewsRoom.PressReleases

Avalon
01-02-2008, 10:52 PM
How would a simple question "hurt" the campaign? I was primarily responding to all the "Official campaign is garbage" posts. But there certainly was no upside to the thread (no chance of it helping...nor being about grassroots) and I think this result was quite predictable. I understand that we're all free, independent minded people but we really need to stop armchair quarterbacking and criticizing the campaign on things we know nothing about. And even if we can personally attest to someone's incompetence (beyond doubt), how does bringing it up all the time here help?

walt
01-02-2008, 10:52 PM

I suggest that the campaign should have competent staff that has a significantly less frequency of your suggestion being necessary.

ghemminger
01-02-2008, 10:53 PM

I wouldn't put it so harshly - but guys seriously - grassroots is prolly 100x more effiecient - hence the next money bomb shoud be a grassroots money bomb

ghemminger
01-02-2008, 10:54 PM
I was primarily responding to all the "Official campaign is garbage" posts. But there certainly was no upside to the thread (no chance of it helping...nor being about grassroots) and I think this result was quite predictable. I understand that we're all free, independent minded people but we really need to stop armchair quarterbacking and criticizing the campaign on things we know nothing about. And even if we can personally attest to someone's incompetence (beyond doubt), how does bringing it up all the time here help?

We can help - massive funding of the grassroots....

ionlyknowy
01-02-2008, 10:56 PM
It could have been part of the plan. They didn't want to give any of their numbers away. If you watched the Drew Ivers video you will understand. He said something about the number of grassroots supporters doubling but he wanted to keep the specific numbers low key.

The guy on cspan was saying they had no clue about RP's numbers. He said he was a wild card. I think Ron Paul has an Ace.

Edit: If you also watched the Drew Ivers video you would get the sense that He knows what the fuck he's doing

so what was the thing that he wasnt going to tell everyone at about 7:20 in the video?

He said he would tell the Iowa people but not the camera or others... what is it?

Anyone know?

Avalon
01-02-2008, 10:58 PM
We can help - massive funding of the grassroots.... Well yeah, I'm certainly not arguing against threads/posts that argue for funding grassroots ventures instead of the official campaign. I'm arguing against negative posts (which outside of walt don't even bother substantiating their claim) that serve no use in a thread that serves no use in a subforum dedicated to useful discussion on how we can help him win.

Avalon
01-02-2008, 11:01 PM
I suggest that the campaign should have competent staff that has a significantly less frequency of your suggestion being necessary. Remind me to put you on ignore if Ron Paul loses. I really don't want to read the excitement in your words as you revel in being "so right, all along."

walt
01-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Remind me to put you on ignore if Ron Paul loses. I really don't want to read the excitement in your words as you revel in being "so right, all along."

It's not about beng right - I could care less - it's about creating cultural change that creates an execution culture so that Ron can win.

ghemminger
01-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Well yeah, I'm certainly not arguing against threads/posts that argue for funding grassroots ventures instead of the official campaign. I'm arguing against negative posts (which outside of walt don't even bother substantiating their claim) that serve no use in a thread that serves no use in a subforum dedicated to useful discussion on how we can help him win.

Avalon - seriously if we want Ron Paul to win - HQ is grossly ineffcient - $1 dollar to a good grassroots effort = $100 to the campaign....hopefully we'll have enough for both

Opulen
01-02-2008, 11:08 PM
I believe this is not the time for attacking the campaign HQ. Remember who is our enemy - the media.

Avalon
01-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Avalon - seriously if we want Ron Paul to win - HQ is grossly ineffcient - $1 dollar to a good grassroots effort = $100 to the campaign....hopefully we'll have enough for both Look, I already knocked that strawman down. That's not my argument.

Avalon
01-02-2008, 11:11 PM
It's not about beng right - I could care less - it's about creating cultural change that creates an execution culture so that Ron can win. Let's hear the full plan exalted leader.

Flirple
01-02-2008, 11:15 PM

From what I've seen Drew Ivers is the man.

No1ButPaul08
01-02-2008, 11:16 PM
so what was the thing that he wasnt going to tell everyone at about 7:20 in the video?

He said he would tell the Iowa people but not the camera or others... what is it?

Anyone know?

Probably the infomercial.

People are making a big deal over nothing. I quote, "and our grassroots continue to grow. I'm not going to share them with you right now, because we are keeping them confidential.

All in a very positive tone.

walt
01-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Avalon,

thank you for asking....

the simple transparency issues - you have to tip your hat to the pr job that the huckabee folks have done - a candidate with no core value system and no money, yet with simple transparency and feeding the media easy to write content - i.e here's this campaign commercial we can't afford to run - we'll let you run it for free - they've taken the spoon fed stories on even have a press bus with their slim resources - yet our campaign whines they don't know what to spend the money on. It's because, as George suggests, they haven't hired the most passionate grassroots supporters (http://www.mikehuckabee.com/?FuseAction=Newsroom.PressRelease&ID=469 )with a clue about old and new media who would kill themselves to get Ron elected (others might add more color here but I'll hold my toungue). They are hiring tons of people to answer phones - but they are not empowered to take grassroots feedback and effectively create new action because the culture of the campaign does not allow it (see pimpin turtle's campaign interview post http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=66262&highlight=pimpin+turtle )

Also, I'd actually start replying to the campaign suggestions in the suggestion box on this board with resolution of suggestion - privately at a minimum

If anyone from the campaign wants to take me up on implementing these suggestions (or organizing people to fix it, they can drop me a line in PM and I'll call them Thursday night after the caucus is over.

hsmith
01-02-2008, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't put it so harshly - but guys seriously - grassroots is prolly 100x more effiecient - hence the next money bomb shoud be a grassroots money bomb
lew is just jaded. :D

Avalon
01-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Walt, I'm asking you how you forsee, in detail, your cheerleading against the campaign on these forums (half of the posts I see from you!) eliciting the change you (at least pretend to) want it to have? Do you plan to stir up enough discontent so you can organize a phone bomb here against the campaign offices? Shut them down until they cede to your demands?

walt
01-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Walt, I'm asking you how you forsee, in detail, your cheerleading against the campaign on these forums (half of the posts I see from you!) eliciting the change you (at least pretend to) want it to have? Do you plan to stir up enough discontent so you can organize a phone bomb here against the campaign offices? Shut them down until they cede to your demands?

I, as well as many others, have contacted the campaign about these types of issues many times before - and with the notable exception of the Philly Rally where they moved the location back to the orginal location - only after a major riot - they have not been responsive. In it's simplest sense, this forum is a giant group blog and when obvious concerns are raised they need to be responded to.

Transparency is the answer. Executing simple suggestions like please link to ronpaulaudio.com off ronpaul2008.com so people can listen to Ron's many speeches is the answer.

I think some people have become too fixated with acquiring depreciating currency and they'd be wise to learn from the pr efforts of mr huckabee's team.

Avalon
01-02-2008, 11:51 PM
You're still not answering my question. I'm not asking why the campaign should do things your way. I'm not asking why you think what you do. I'm not asking for examples of where inciting riots worked in the past. I'm asking for you to provide with me a theoretical example (in detail) of how you think this constant negativity could help here and now in the grassroots forum. Please lay that out.

jd603
01-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Ding! +5 points.

Stop believing the media. As if they ever gave us favors, and as if they ever told the truth.

coffeewithchess
01-03-2008, 12:05 AM
No, the media is garbage.

Both are garbage.

Just Come Home
01-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Some of you people are real idiots...

http://www.ronpaulaudio.com

Look at this website and tell me that the campaign hasn't been busy getting the word out.

walt
01-03-2008, 12:10 AM
You're still not answering my question. I'm not asking why the campaign should do things your way. I'm not asking why you think what you do. I'm not asking for examples of where inciting riots worked in the past. I'm asking for you to provide with me a theoretical example (in detail) of how you think this constant negativity could help here and now in the grassroots forum. Please lay that out.

Well, let's see - people made fun of the he's catching on commercial and that got us coverage on the front page of salon.com - that is one scenario.

however, to get back to the issue that truly matters, the campaign should engage our community more.

walt
01-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Some of you people are real idiots...

http://www.ronpaulaudio.com

Look at this website and tell me that the campaign hasn't been busy getting the word out.

ronpaulaudio.com is a grassroots site. I'm suggesting that the ronpaul2008.com site should link to it as it's an awesome resource. :D

Avalon
01-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Well, let's see - people made fun of the he's catching on commercial and that got us coverage on the front page of salon.com - that is one scenario. That's not a scenario, that's an example...which I specifically said I wasn't looking for. Are you saying that you don't really have a plan for spewing this stuff but you just "feel" it will work out for the best?

Bradley in DC
01-03-2008, 12:15 AM
The campaign is full of incompetent people. Always has been always will be until Dr. Paul wins the nomination and the Party "flushes out" all the crap and brings in real political talent.

You have to remember Dr. Paul started this run thinking he was not going to go this far. He hired much of the same campaign staff as his 88 run. He should have brought back the Buchanan Brigade.

+1

Bradley in DC
01-03-2008, 12:18 AM
I agree. I dont think the same can be said nationally though.

We are of like minds. Debbie is good too. Some of NH even.

Avalon
01-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Great to have you join in Brad! Are you also looking forward to a headline like: "Ron Paul - Worst Campaign Ever, Say Supporters"?

Bradley in DC
01-03-2008, 12:25 AM
http://blog.nj.com/njv_paul_mulshine/2007/11/no_news_is_bad_news.html

Avalon
01-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Good point! The media really only seems interested in negative stories about Paul...maybe we can provide them with some! Now this is how the grassroots can get involved! How about we spike his food/drink or maybe coat his NH debate notes with LSD! Or maybe when he's giving autographs we could slip a used condom into his pocket and hope he pulls it out with his pen (and that cameras are rolling)! Maybe we should hold our biggest rally yet and devote it to the KKK. Let's overwhelm the media with stories! Who is with us?

Bradley in DC
01-03-2008, 12:40 AM
Great to have you join in Brad! Are you also looking forward to a headline like: "Ron Paul - Worst Campaign Ever, Say Supporters"?

Hi Avalon,

I was one of the first (few hundred) people here very early. For many months I apologized and made excuses for the official campaign (most of whom I'd known for a decade). But it's too late now to still be making the same mistakes without causing problems that can't be corrected.

I was the volunteer DC ballot access coordinator. We got NO support from HQ which was preferable to them taking it over (after I turned down the paid position for it--see my threads posts regard Mike McHugh) and ROYALLY screwing up. They have a history of taking successful grassroots projects and running them into the ground (Operation Spooner calling Iowa, etc.).

Unfortunately, all private constructive criticisms get ignored and it's only the public ones that have any effect. It's a bad incentive mechanism but it's not one that Walt and I et al. prefer or created.

Bradley in DC
01-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Good point! The media really only seems interested in negative stories about Paul...maybe we can provide them with some!

You ask for substantiation and then bitch that we give the media ammo?

Walt and I (and many, many others) have NOT made public most of the reasons for our knowledge of official campaign staff incompetence--and their hostility towards the grassroots.

Avalon
01-03-2008, 12:50 AM

Walt and I (and many, many others) have NOT made public most of the reasons for our knowledge of official campaign staff incompetence--and their hostility towards the grassroots. First of all, I didn't ask for substantiation. I said that even if we had tons of it, badmouthing the campaign in the GRASSROOTS forum is only doing harm, as far as I can see. Please explain how I'm wrong.

sanjeevjain
01-03-2008, 01:06 AM
I also think Campaign HQ isn't doing a good job.

Why isn't there an official campaign person answering people's question on this board?
Why can't a campaign staffer be assigned to quell any rumors and not waste energy and time of potentially 12K registered users on the blog?
Why does every thread has to degrade into a 100s of posts of guesstimates based on "feelings"?

I think it reflects extremely poorly on Dr. Paul's management abilities.

After reading Tucker's article that Dr. Paul isn't even comfortable enough to dictate to his staffers to turn down heat in the Van, I am guessing Dr. Paul does whatever his campaign "managers" tells him to ... without much idea of any real ongoings of grassroots work and even this forum.

Bradley in DC
01-03-2008, 01:17 AM
First of all, I didn't ask for substantiation. I said that even if we had tons of it, badmouthing the campaign in the GRASSROOTS forum is only doing harm, as far as I can see. Please explain how I'm wrong.

We're trying to be constructive. Not only do we know official staffers read the forums (and watch YouTubes) instead of doing their own work, we help other grassroots people. :)

For example, my big issue has been regarding ballot access and getting delegates and getting us up to speed on the RNC rules. I'd prefer that the official campaign staff did that on their own but they don't. Specifically, weeks (months?) ago, I warned my fellow Buckeyes on the Ohio threads not to put their trust in the competence of the official staff for their ballot petitioning. They initially assured me HQ was on top of it. Now, tomorrow is the deadline and they don't know if they have enough signatures in all of the Congressional Districts and those same people who HAD faith in HQ now think heads should roll. :mad:

It's helpful because other readers here in states with processes in progress or not started yet will, hopefully, not rely on HQ and procrastinate and will instead take the initiative to get the job done or at least started early themselves. ;)

Specifically for this thread, the grassroots should rely on themselves and not Jesse to get press for their events. Jesse's not a bad guy, he's just in way over his head. :(

Avalon
01-03-2008, 01:25 AM
Hi Avalon,

I was one of the first (few hundred) people here very early. For many months I apologized and made excuses for the official campaign (most of whom I'd known for a decade). Hi Brad. I've been following your posts since you showed up here. From the beginning I held you in high esteem due merely to the credentials you'd mention in (seemingly) every discussion. I was extremely disappointed/disheartened (in general) when you confirmed others' reports of incompetency within the official campaign...especially regarding such important issues and with the strident, black and white descriptions you brought forth. I picked myself up and kept doing my best to support the campaign regardless. And I've bit my tongue the last fifty times I've watched you use your status to try to turn supporters against the official campaign. With you and walt it's more than just wanting to be heard or receive understanding from fellow supporters; it seems to be a personal vendetta...where you'll only be happy when the people who you vehemently disagree with you meet with defeat (either through losing, getting fired, or simply the grassroots setting fire to HQ). This movement isn't about you or those that hold your disgust...it's even bigger than Ron Paul.

If Ron Paul has weaknesses, we need to do our best to correct them, compensate for them, or overshadow them. We don't need to create new ones, highlight the ones he has, or magnify them in any way.

webaform
01-03-2008, 01:29 AM
Maybe the campaign could hire Lewis Libby. He knows how to work the press. We could hop right in the bed with them.

Avalon
01-03-2008, 01:32 AM
It's helpful because other readers here in states with processes in progress or not started yet will, hopefully, not rely on HQ and procrastinate and will instead take the initiative to get the job done or at least started early themselves. ;) Now that would be helpful/constructive. Please do some more of that!

Specifically for this thread, the grassroots should rely on themselves and not Jesse to get press for their events. Jesse's not a bad guy, he's just in way over his head. :( This thread isn't about press for grassroots events. But at least that's something we could discuss here that could help direct our efforts...unlike all the needless campaign bashing garbage.

Bradley in DC
01-03-2008, 01:37 AM
Hi Brad. I've been following your posts since you showed up here. From the beginning I held you in high esteem due merely to the credentials you'd mention in (seemingly) every discussion. I was extremely disappointed/disheartened (in general) when you confirmed others' reports of incompetency within the official campaign... This movement isn't about you or those that hold your disgust...it's even bigger than Ron Paul.

If Ron Paul has weaknesses, we need to do our best to correct them, compensate for them, or overshadow them. We don't need to create new ones, highlight the ones he has, or magnify them in any way.

Points well taken. The repeating who I am has usually been in response to the (encouraging) constant flow of so many new people here (it's really amazing to me). I would have preferred you liked my posts for what I said more than for who I am. :(

I am NOT trying to turn anyone against the official campaign and apologize if it comes off that way. However, IMHO (and yes, based on having worked on campaigns before over the past two decades--gratuitous plug for creds for your benefit :D), it's too late in the game for the campaign to be making the same mistakes since there isn't time anymore to compensate for them. It is important for the grassroots to have fair expectations of backup--or not--from HQ.

Yes, this campaign, the real one, the grassroots, is MUCH bigger than I. :)
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=67776

I think most of the official campaign staff could be great but are being asked to do jobs for which they're not qualified by experience or inclination. And HQ routinely fires those who are competent and hard-working but who point out inadequacies of others constructively. :mad:

Avalon
01-03-2008, 01:57 AM
it's too late in the game for the campaign to be making the same mistakes since there isn't time anymore to compensate for them. I'm not sure why you're trying to convince us of this? Should we give up then? Apparently HQ doesn't give a shit what you or walt think...you've been stirring up this shit for the last two months to no avail.

It is only productive to focus on problems when we can actually do something about them. I'm not telling you to keep quiet with your horrid little anecdotes about the campaign...I'm pleading with you to try to help the movement with them instead of hurt it. If we spend so much time and energy focusing on failure it'll be very hard to achieve anything else...and we're up against enough as it is.

WebFX
01-03-2008, 01:57 AM
Bradley,

Would you be willing to take a paid position funded by the grassroots to setup an organization to shadow that shadowed the campaign and work on these things that you think are important and not being adequately addressed?

Lord Xar
01-03-2008, 01:58 AM
I think part of the expression, is the excise of the frustration. I am just some grassroots person with no palatable experience with the campaign other than what I have seen and heard - and I am amost at my wits end. Of course, that only means that I have to get more wit because I am not going anywhere - BUT, for me - I have made snide remarks because some part of me HOPES just one time the campaign - those who can effect change will get these messages.

The problem for me is that amatuers have taken the show and they are doing on the job training. Their egos still matter because they are new to the game and thus fragile. For me, we need SEASONED AND NEW HUNGRE types that can bridge the gap between old and new.

You remember in "Interview with a vampire" when Armand needed Louis to be his bridge into the new from the old. Well, our Armand is still chilling in that old french theatre 'not getting it'.

I mean when 'we' can see glaring deficiences and it seems those within cannot - it is very frightening because these deficiences should be noted and dismantled in the planning of ANYTHING the campaign does --- its almost as if my best friends kid brother and his buddies are running the show. Not all - for instance - Drew Ivers. From what I know and seen of him - I mean, why is this guy ONLY in Iowa. I mean, he should be a MAJOR part of the campaign!

Anyways, just venting. Come tomorrow we will see if there was a method to the madness. I am HOPING HOPING HOPING that I am wrong and just "overreacting", and that those in charge really do have a great handle on things.

Avalon
01-03-2008, 02:11 AM
I am HOPING HOPING HOPING that I am wrong and just "overreacting", and that those in charge really do have a great handle on things. You being wrong or right about the issues you have with the campaign doesn't matter. You guys can't see the forest for the trees. I know you guys have been sapping my motivation and energy. Have these posts done anything positive?

Lord Xar
01-03-2008, 02:14 AM
You being wrong or right about the issues you have with the campaign doesn't matter. You guys can't see the forest for the trees. I know you guys have been sapping my motivation and energy. Have these posts done anything positive?

I agree with you. Like I said, I think mostly it is just frustration. But I also wrote that even if I was at my wits end I would still find more 'wit' - because my 2008 presidential destiny is tied to Ron's.

But I hear what you are saying and I think that perhaps we should all stay positive and productive.

Avalon
01-03-2008, 02:15 AM
But I hear what you are saying and I think that perhaps we should all stay positive and productive. Thanks. I'm going to sleep now.

fj45lvr
01-03-2008, 02:19 AM

"political talent" ?????

Could you define what that means. Because that makes me think of a bunch of LIARS and CROOKS that make people believe stuff that isn't true.

maybe a better word is shrewd marketing folks?

JohnnyWrath
01-03-2008, 02:24 AM
Ron Paul also doesn't FORCE cops and firemen to take pctures with him to show the media....he has a message he believes in, and he doesn't need to kiss the ass of the coporate media like Hillary or Rudy do.

Bradley in DC
01-03-2008, 02:27 AM
I'm not sure why you're trying to convince us of this? Should we give up then?

It is only productive to focus on problems when we can actually do something about them.

No, don't give up. Just be realistic of what to expect from HQ. We need to do more ourselves--press, delegates, ballot petitioning, all of it. Yes, like the Ohio ballot petitioning. The grassroots pulled it off (we think/hope) but would have had a much easier time with an earlier start (after delaying explicitly because of HQ).

So, yes, be productive, go do what needs to be done, come here and ask questions (I've been helping LOTS of people as have many others--the grassroots here helping each other is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, publicly and privately), find out what needs to be done, assume HQ will not be doing and then make sure it happens. If HQ is doing it, better for the redundancy of us doing it twice than not at all.

The lesson from this thread: Meetup Groups, et al., please put your events--and HQ's when in your area--in the AP Daybook yourselves, publicize them yourselves, reach out to media yourselves. Stop blaming media conspiracies and do what you can to fix it!

Larry_for_Paul
01-03-2008, 02:36 AM
Great. The grassroot will continue - because of the message and integrity of Dr Paul.
We will place top 3 in Iowa for the same reason.

And I am sure, the campaign will get better - remember they are scrambling 24 hours a day. It is probably utter chaos.

Peace, Freedom and prosperity

parocks
01-03-2008, 06:35 AM

Do you think that the Republican political talent will be behind Dr. Paul 100% provided he wins the nomination? Put differently, will Dr. Paul be able to find the necessary talent?

I do think that with a candidate like Dr. Paul, you're still gonna want to keep everyone on board, being loyalists and all, and trustworthy (I'm not sure I agree with "flushes out" all the crap).

itshappening
01-03-2008, 06:40 AM
Do you think that the Republican political talent will be behind Dr. Paul 100% provided he wins the nomination? Put differently, will Dr. Paul be able to find the necessary talent?

I do think that with a candidate like Dr. Paul, you're still gonna want to keep everyone on board, being loyalists and all, and trustworthy (I'm not sure I agree with "flushes out" all the crap).

people will start coming out of the woodwork if they perceive he has a chance

parocks
01-03-2008, 08:30 AM

Well, I was directly targeting that comment to Austin.

Occasionally when I see someone who seems to have some insight, I'll follow their comments from thread to thread and I was wondering if he thought that the Republican establishment political talent would support Dr. Paul if he won the nomination.

It has been of a certain degree of concern. My actual, real, paid-type political experience was over 10 years ago and in, um, a different political party, so I don't have an excellent feel for how Republican political pros would respond to a Dr. Paul victory.

But it's good to hear from you that the Atwaters of this day would give their heart and soul to Dr. Paul.

mosquitobite
01-03-2008, 08:37 AM

The problem will be determining who is there to help, and who is there to sabotage.

vegetarianrpfan
01-03-2008, 10:06 AM

Actually, while many people have been with RP a long time (Kent Snyder, for example), many people are new graduates just out of college. Jonathan Bydlak the fundraising director, for one, and the communications director in Iowa is brand new, as well. That's what happens when you don't have $100 mil to start with like some other candidates.

...And HQ routinely fires those who are competent and hard-working but who point out inadequacies of others constructively. :mad:

That is a huge problem which speaks of incompetence on HQ's part more than anything. If they're firing anyone, they should be firing those who have made these huge mistakes (missing the NRA forum, etc.)

--------------------------
Libertarian Girl
http://www.libertariangirl.com

walt
01-03-2008, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE=vegetarianrpfan;792109]Actually, while many people have been with RP a long time (Kent Snyder, for example), many people are new graduates just out of college. Jonathan Bydlak the fundraising director, for one, and the communications director in Iowa is brand new, as well. That's what happens when you don't have $100 mil to start with like some other candidates.[QUOTE]

FALSE - Kent has chosen to do it that way, it doesn't have to be that way...

LibertyEagle
01-03-2008, 10:11 AM

Ok, you've talked to them about communicating with the media. Do you know for a fact that they did it?

Mort
01-03-2008, 10:13 AM
[QUOTE=vegetarianrpfan;792109]Actually, while many people have been with RP a long time (Kent Snyder, for example), many people are new graduates just out of college. Jonathan Bydlak the fundraising director, for one, and the communications director in Iowa is brand new, as well. That's what happens when you don't have $100 mil to start with like some other candidates.[QUOTE]

FALSE - Kent has chosen to do it that way, it doesn't have to be that way...

Everything useful in this campaign has been done by the grassroots.

At least the campaign put together a nice web page with a quality donation counter.

Ron Paul's small government mindset probably also comes with small campaign HQ. At least we know Dr. Paul is not burning money overpaying his campaign staff.

vegetarianrpfan
01-03-2008, 10:20 AM

This New Jersey article speaks of a MAJOR problem.

Someone mentioned that coverage of the Des Moines Register has been nonexistent. I've been reading the DMR all week. They have a schedule of campaign events, for which Dr. Paul's of course are the only ones not listed. They have write-ups or articles on even the smallest of events (Chris Dodd visiting a Mexican restaurant with 20 people in it), because those things are listed ahead of time and publicized to the media.

I don't know about this "flying under the radar" thing; I think we could have done better with daily coverage in the DM Register, for one.

Yes, the media is biased and we know that. However, if your job is to speak to the media, you still have to do that no matter what. It's what you're getting paid for. You need to tell them if there is going to be a press conference, ahead of time.

------------------------
Libertarian Girl
http://www.libertariangirl.com

wfd40
01-03-2008, 10:32 AM

Walt and I (and many, many others) have NOT made public most of the reasons for our knowledge of official campaign staff incompetence--and their hostility towards the grassroots.

Bradley, why not say something to Dr. Paul himself?? I'd imagine he'd be receptive to constructive criticism no??

aksmith
01-03-2008, 10:39 AM
The campaign has not been perfect, for sure. But I've done a lot of media, and most of it is horse race garbage. Nazis, tinfoil hats, third party run, racist, fringe, longshot, will he support the R candidate, why is he running as a Republican, etc. etc. etc.

The media is the laziest, most corrupt bunch of losers on the planet. There is nothing they can say or do at this point that would make me change my mind. I've seen it for too many years.

I will believe the guy from the Des Moines register when he crawls over a field of broken glass and begs our forgiveness.

Bradley in DC
01-03-2008, 10:46 AM
The media is the laziest, most corrupt bunch of losers on the planet. There is nothing they can say or do at this point that would make me change my mind. I've seen it for too many years.

Largely, but not always, true from my experience too. All the more reason why the campaign needs to spoon-feed them not ignore them (especially when the reporters do make an effort).

And, yes, I know for a fact there have been, at times, rumors that reporters' calls were not returned where the opposite was true--that Jesse had been calling the reporter unsuccessfully. It's not all or nothing, but yes, we expect more.

Bradley in DC
01-03-2008, 10:50 AM

This New Jersey article speaks of a MAJOR problem.
You need to tell them if there is going to be a press conference, ahead of time.

And then show up at it and not be rude. ;)

joelfarm
01-03-2008, 11:20 AM
From the N.J. article, echoes my sentiments exactly!!;

Posted by blarneyboy on 11/18/07 at 12:52PM

Grassroots campaigns are always plagued by the amatuers who participate in them.

There are no spinmeisters like Rove or Carville. There's no swiftboating, and no claims that an opponent has an illegitimate black baby. No push polls for the likes of Paul.

The professional political vampires who run the elections tell the candidate what position to take on the issue, regardless of principal.
That's why Rodham-Clinton is "for" licensing illegals and then against it. Mostly, the pros get their candidate- whores to take NO position, so no voter will be offended. That's why shrub opposed nation-building as he planned an attack on Iraq BEFORE 911.

With Ron Paul you get a throwback to the politicians like TR who campaigned from their veranda and actually say what they think and promise to do what they pledge. And I did see one reporter's estimate on the Philly rally indicatring only a 1,000 Paulists celebrating his campaign. the neatest thing about this "children's campaign" is that it is largely supported by kids who are 18 to 35 years old; who will get no Social Security and can be expected to lose their jobs 5 times under the New World Order of Bush-Clinton regimes, and have a 10 trillion dollar debt we old folks have lambasted them with. Despite the amatuer nature of the campaign, isn't it grand to see these sharp young people parading in support of our Constitution?

Keep locking and loading 'kids', the fight has just began!!!