PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Dropping Out Before New Hampshire?

jon31rm
01-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Sorry if this has been mentioned:

CBS Evening News reported tonight that Thompson would immediately drop out if he finished lower than the top three in Iowa, and would back McCain.

1. Has this been mentioned anywhere else? Is this report credible?

2. If Thompson does drop out, would Fox News have Ron Paul take his place on the Forum bus? Would Ron Paul even accept an invitation at that point?

Discuss.

Adamsa
01-02-2008, 08:24 PM
I don't know if backing McCain can stop a Paul train. :D

curtisag
01-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Thompson is pathetic, he never should have run for President. He never really wanted to do what is required to win anyway.

chiplitfam
01-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Those old fellas need each other to hold each other up!

fuzzybekool
01-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Thompson should quit. It seems his wife wants to be President more than he does. No passion left. It ain't his fault. Ron Paul is just too big out there and Thompson knows it.

WilliamC
01-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Fred seemed to expect the nomination to fall into his lap.
Unfortunately for him it didn't. He would like the prize but is not willing to work for it.

AgentPaul001
01-02-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm not sure if Thompson dropping out would help us or not. He's not really competitive in New Hampshire anyway.

And we don't want McCain to pickup much more momentum.

Sergeant Brother
Those old fellas need each other to hold each other up!

RP is older than both of them. :P

WilliamC
I'm not sure if Thompson dropping out would help us or not. He's not really competitive in New Hampshire anyway.

And we don't want McCain to pickup much more momentum.

Something tells me McCain isn't going to :)

Johnnybags
01-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Thompson should quit. It seems his wife wants to be President more than he does. No passion left. It ain't his fault. Ron Paul is just too big out there and Thompson knows it.

Fred is going to get squat so he needs to prop up the weakest link in fundraising, McCain. Keep Mr Amnesty going a few more months. FRED is done.

chiplitfam
But Ron takes Revolution vitamins!

prlgrl

CBS Evening News reported tonight that Thompson would immediately drop out if he finished lower than the top three in Iowa, and would back McCain.

1. Has this been mentioned anywhere else? Is this report credible?

2. If Thompson does drop out, would Fox News have Ron Paul take his place on the Forum bus? Would Ron Paul even accept an invitation at that point?

Discuss.

It will give Ron a seat on the Faux News Bus. Ron will be in double digits tomorrow. What will they say then?

UtahApocalypse
01-02-2008, 08:29 PM
So that will be the play heh... Thompson drops out making room on the bus. Fox still can claim that was why the original exclusion, and have RP on.

evadmurd
Thompson has always been a front for the McCain campaign. That was the only reason for his campaign. Maybe a McCain VP?

jake
unfortunate campaign.

Hopefully some Thompson supporters would join this campaign (What were Thompson's positions anyways?!)

ItsTime
01-02-2008, 08:30 PM
I hope so! If Fred drops out my grandfather will vote for Ron Paul (my grandfather lives in Maine)

Mortikhi
01-02-2008, 08:30 PM
he said if he didnt get 2nd or better in iowa, he was quitting.

no, i dont have a source. i heard it on npr.

kushaze
01-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Lets make good with the Fred supporters and hope that they join up with us.

Dave Pedersen
01-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Didn't you guys know FOX's bus shrinks on command from David Rockefeller?

It's tha splendidly amazing shrinkable bus.

Brian Ristuccia
01-02-2008, 08:40 PM

CBS Evening News reported tonight that Thompson would immediately drop out if he finished lower than the top three in Iowa....

Now if Thompson drops out on Thursday or Friday, will Fox still claim there's no room in the trailer this weekend?

Paulitician
01-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Hopefully his supporters don't hear this news. This could be a big motivator for them...

nist7
01-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Thompson just filed to get on the Texas primary ballot....which is in March.

It looks like Fred has no plans to drop out anytime soon......

FreedomLover
01-02-2008, 08:43 PM
this is good, i bet they're are some thompson supporters who would go paul.

of all the other candidates, thompson was the only one i was okay with, and if it weren't for RP, i mightve ended up supporting him

jon31rm
01-02-2008, 08:44 PM
From MSNBC.com:

"2nd — Where Fred Thompson said he needs to finish in Iowa.

3rd — Where he'll be lucky to finish. One poll had him tied for fourth with surging Ron Paul."

...so, apparently Thompson wants to finish in the top 2, not top 3. Hahaha...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22475436/

fortilite
01-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Bad news, he drained some votes from other neocons.

Jeremy
01-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Well #5 is obviously lower...

But him backing McCain is not good for us in NH.

nist7
01-02-2008, 08:48 PM
We want Fred to stay in the race as long as possible...this will split up the neocon votes

RPTXState
01-02-2008, 08:52 PM
We want Fred to stay in the race as long as possible...this will split up the neocon votes

Have him leave before Texas. Not only do we need a win in this delegate-rich state, but 90% of the poeple who support Fred (that i've talked to) said they wouldn't mind backing Paul if Fred quits.

zaffa
01-02-2008, 08:55 PM
What does everybody think would happen if Thompson placed higher than Mccaiin?

ronpaulitician
01-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Was Fred Thompson a different politician than the one who runs for president?

freedominnumbers
01-02-2008, 08:57 PM
LOL how could thompson back McCain? McCain has none of the same stances.

davidhperry
01-02-2008, 08:59 PM
this is good, i bet they're are some thompson supporters who would go paul.

of all the other candidates, thompson was the only one i was okay with, and if it weren't for RP, i mightve ended up supporting him

I agree. I considered voting for Fred before I knew about Dr. Paul.

davidhperry
01-02-2008, 08:59 PM

Supposedly they are good friends.

fj45lvr
01-02-2008, 09:01 PM

I think you are confusing what they SAY and what they actually believe.....these are two completely different things.

Jobarra
01-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Now THAT would be interesting :D Thompson 4th, McCain 5th. Thompson curses and endorses McCain. Many Thompson supporters scratch their heads and mouth "WTF?"

I would love to see this... Thompson bows out after Iowa. Huck and Duncan bow out after New Hampshire. I think ultimately Huck's supporters have to come to us and McCain. McCain is almost broke, he just doesn't have the grassroots + money to match up against us. Rudy and Romney just can't take the South(except for Florida) and Midwest(except for Utah). This race could be REALLY interesting after Feb 5th with no clear winners. Just wait until our grassroots get into 'berserk' mode trying to hit all those late states up for votes :D

If I were any of them though, I wouldn't give up until after Feb 5th. If I had the money, I would go the distance even if I was losing. Some of them don't have the money though.

MozoVote
01-02-2008, 09:02 PM
If this happens, the "fringe" candidate Ron Paul will have outlasted Gilmore, Tommy Thompson, Brownback, Tancredo, and ol' Freddy.

Cardinal Red
01-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Unless something amazing happens. So I expect he'll drop out. That probably hurts us a bit in the short term, but longer term, we've thinned the herd by one more. Giuliani is done as well, he just hasn't figured it out yet.

That leaves RP, Mccain, Huckabee and Romney. Which will mean a lot more attention for us.

Gilmore, Tommy Thompson, Brownback, Tancredo and now (likely) Thompson-- we've outlasted them all-- just a few more to go!

RP4ME
01-02-2008, 09:24 PM
i belive he was paid to be an actor in teh drama of the election - seriously...I think there was a plan perhaos it failed...anyway ba-bye

dirknb@hotmail.com
01-02-2008, 09:30 PM
We'll pick up some of his supporters. And not lose them.

Goldwater Conservative
01-02-2008, 09:31 PM
But him backing McCain is not good for us in NH.

Thompson has been struggling to stay above the margin of error there. Even then, his support won't necessarily transfer to who he endorses. Some of his supporters would go to the two other "tough-looking" guys of the race, McCain and Julie. Romney would pick up a few, especially people who were sympathetic to Tancredo and agreed with him on immigration.

Paul could pick up a surprising amount. I for one still like Thompson (he seems to be the most popular top-tier candidate around here other than Paul), and I've noticed a lot of his supporters like our guy. If nothing else, they can appreciate Paul's conservative credentials (even if they disagree on the war) and can probably relate to how disrespected and even marginalized he's been.

richk
01-02-2008, 09:39 PM
If I had to vote for someone other than Paul, it would've been Thompson. I don't know how much of what he says he actually means :o, but it sounds the best out of all the Repubs other than Ron.

I wonder though, cause I have a few people at work for Thompson, yet despise Ron due to his FP. FP still seems to be #1 Neo-con issue-- very disturbing. :(

Carole
01-02-2008, 09:43 PM
But he seems so young in spirit that he seems like a twenty-something. :D:D

Carole
01-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Exactly!! Unfortunately Fred Thompson is a CFR member, too and is a neocon. I will have to write in Ron Paul if he is not the nominee for Republican Party. I will not settle for anything less than a vote for Liberty.

Scott Wilson
01-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Why would a candidate drop out after doing bad in Iowa?

Iowa is one state out of fifty. How stupid.

The magnification of Iowa by the media is insane in my opinion.

Josh
01-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Why would a candidate drop out after doing bad in Iowa?

Iowa is one state out of fifty. How stupid.

The magnification of Iowa by the media is insane in my opinion.

lack of $$

born2drv
01-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Thompson talks a lot about the constitution, states rights, pro-2nd ammendment, etc.... we can win over his supports I believe.

richk
01-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Thompson talks a lot about the constitution, states rights, pro-2nd ammendment, etc.... we can win over his supports I believe.

If they can forget their WOT silliness, yes. I just do not know anymore, such brainwashing. :(

deedles
01-02-2008, 11:04 PM
(What were Thompson's positions anyways?!)

mostly horizontal

:)

RonPaulFTFW
01-02-2008, 11:08 PM
mccain is nothing.

how can a guy tied to the iraq war be the come back kid?

I tell you though, my parents like Ron Paul a lot and they liked Thompson. I bet money a lot of thompsons people will go to Paul. There is overlap there for some reason.

cindy25
01-03-2008, 01:35 AM
Biden, Richardson, Dodd will all drop out and endorse Hillary within the next week also.

Hunter may also drop out before NH, and Rudy not long after.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-03-2008, 01:58 AM

It also splits up the talking time. Time that's already heavily biased against Paul. The sooner some of these clowns drop out, the better. We know Paul has staying power.

AggieforPaul
01-03-2008, 02:12 AM
I want him to stay in the race. McCain will be even tougher to beat with a Thompson endorsement.

AggieforPaul
01-03-2008, 02:14 AM
mccain is nothing.

how can a guy tied to the iraq war be the come back kid?

I tell you though, my parents like Ron Paul a lot and they liked Thompson. I bet money a lot of thompsons people will go to Paul. There is overlap there for some reason.

They both have Southern ties, and both camps think Rudy is a fake. I think a few Fredheads will join us, but the majority will go to McCain.

RedLightning
01-03-2008, 02:48 AM
Its funny how before he even got into the race he was considered a front runner, but now he can't even seem to stay awake.

Bradley in DC
01-03-2008, 02:51 AM

Wouldn't that just mean McCain gets two seats? :p

wildflower
01-03-2008, 02:58 AM
I haven't read the whole thread, so I don't know if someone already said this... but according to FT, it's not true, just a rumor that someone "made up out of whole cloth."

http://blogs.iowapolitics.com/caucus/2008/01/thompson-poor-finish-in-iowa-wont-end.html

Is anyone else a bit worried that Hunter will drop out and endorse Fred or one of the others which could give them a boost? (I agree with those who said it's better they all stay in the race and split up the pro-war vote)

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-03-2008, 03:07 AM
Politico is reporting Thompson likely to drop out after Iowa, and the Wall Street Journal just published an article that can only be described as a eulogy for Fred's campaign.

Now we just let Mitt, Huck & McAmnesty tear one another down, while Ron continues his steady rise.

joshdvm
01-03-2008, 05:31 AM
politico.com:Fred Thompson may drop out (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0108/7682.html)

You know, I really disliked him at first, but he actually just might be the least bad of all the other guys-- laziness is an extremely desirable quality in an executive, imo.

But of course, you can't take for granted his remaining lazy once he's attained office and is tempted by the intoxication of power. And untrustworthy he certainly is, even as he is apparently lazy.