PDA

View Full Version : Stuff RP could be attacked on

Gee
05-20-2007, 11:40 PM
IMO:

Getting rid of the Fed
"But the Fed saves us from depression!"
Most people will see this as "scary". I think we need to present this by telling people he wants to get rid of the legal tender laws and not actually abolish the Fed. Tell people how alternate currencies could protect them from hyperinflation (a common way to pay off big debts).

Against the drug war
"Ron Paul is pro-heroin and cocain!"
Some people will never believe drugs should be legalized any time soon. Remind them this is an issue of states rights, and maybe ask them if they'd mind the government placing a ban on red meat.

Getting rid of the Department of Education
"Ron Paul is against education!"
Remind them they'd have more control over their schools if they were handled at state, county or city levels, and the huge bureaucracy the department of education represents.

Overall, I think the less fringey we can present RP as - the better.

Can anyone else think of anything else? The Middle East and conspiracy stuff is more or less covered, I think.

zMtLlC
05-21-2007, 12:04 AM
For most people, going back to the gold standard would probably seem strange and "fringey" mostly because they don't know much about it. At least that's my view.

Brandybuck
05-21-2007, 12:43 AM
For most people, going back to the gold standard would probably seem strange and "fringey" mostly because they don't know much about it. At least that's my view.
You can just say "fractional reserve". Instead of banks lending money based on debt, the banks lend money based on gold reserves. (or platinum, or other appropriate specie).

Gee
05-21-2007, 12:58 AM
You can just say "fractional reserve". Instead of banks lending money based on debt, the banks lend money based on gold reserves. (or platinum, or other appropriate specie).
Well, RP doesn't actually want to get rid of the Fed, just give people an alternative. Thats not at all "scary", so I think that view will go over well. I'll add another,

IRS
"But Ron Paul doesn't support the Fair Tax or the Flat Tax!"
I think, in the Austin speach, he said he'd sign either of these if they got to his office as president, didn't he? I know he really wants to replace the IRS with nothing, but surely anything is better than our current tax code.

mdh
05-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Getting rid of the Fed

I don't think this is a loser. Very few people understand anything about how the US financial machine works at all. Many have never heard the term fiat currency, much less understand it. They think of the FR as the bank where the government keeps its money, just like individuals often keep theirs at local banks. I also don't think that our detractors will hit us here for the same reason.

Against the drug war

Dealing with this issue is more complex, and requires some knowledge of your audience to be entirely effective. Without that knowledge, falling back on the constitution is likely the best tactic, as it turns a "negative" into a "Dr. Paul is THAT committed to constitutional values!"

Getting rid of the Department of Education

I don't see this as a loser either. Most people nowadays (anyone under 35, or with kids between 9 and 21 years old) don't feel that government education is good at all. But really though, the federal DoE doesn't do much as it is, so it doesn't change the landscape to save some money by ditching it to begin with.