PDA

View Full Version : Teacher/Slim Jims in school.

Nate SY
01-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Hey, I'm not positive if this belongs in this forum or the issue's part sorry if it's the wrong one.

Anyways. I'm 16 and won't be able to vote (sadly) but me and a few friends bought Ron Paul shirts and a whole bunch of slim jims to hand out at our school. Today I gave one to my Psychology teacher. She promptly tore it into pieces and started saying how she hated Ron Paul. After asking her about this she told me about how he is for "No government" and that he "wants to put poor people on the streets" after a little while I got her to tone down on those issues, but afterwards she asked me about Ron wanting to abolish the IRS. I told her that the Federal government would still make as much yearly as they did 10 years ago. She told me that she'll believe that when I can tell her other ways that the Federal government makes money.

So basically can anyone help me out and inform me on the ways government gets money excluding the income tax? Any help is much appreciated.

jasonjasonjason1
01-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Tariffs, sales taxes...

Besides, don't forget that he doesn't want to just cut taxes, he wants to cut the spending that necessitates them. Our taxes pay to maintain our empire and our welfare state. We only need these taxes if he want our big government. Also, remind her that the income tax wasn't even USED in this country until 1913.

Nate SY
01-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Aren't sales taxes a state thing though? Do you mean something like a federal gas tax? Something less apparent?

I think I covered the cutting taxes pretty well with her, but I'll be sure to remind her of that and add in the 1913 part.

Thanks for the response.

jasonjasonjason1
01-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Aren't sales taxes a state thing though?

You're probably right. I'm just talking off the cuff and I may be misinformed. I do remember Ron saying something about "user fees" to bring in federal money, but I don't know enough to speak on the topic. Thanks for the correction! :)

Abobo
01-02-2008, 07:13 PM
We would still have corporate taxes, just not personal income tax.

mjp1025
01-02-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm old, you're young....I commend you for your passion for Dr. Paul's message...I probably would not have done the same thing when I was your age.

Nate SY
01-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Alright so right now I have Corporate taxes, Tariffs, and the Federal gas tax. (Which I looked up and it's 18.4 cents a gallon)

lol thanks mjp1025. It's nice to hear.

Thanks again for the responses. I think with a little more research I can set her straight on some things. ^.^ Oh and I just found out her son is a hardcore Ron Paul supporter too. Probably why she flipped out when we gave her the slim jim.

kushaze
01-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Your teacher sucks, couldn't she have just handed it back to you.

jasonjasonjason1
01-02-2008, 07:25 PM
aa

jabrownie
01-02-2008, 07:27 PM
HERE IS YOUR ANSWER IN A NICE SUPED UP DISPLAY. Print out the 6 pages and give her a copy. :-)

http://ronpaul.cc/images/RonPaulOnTaxes.pdf

Great job with your efforts Nate SY

*For anyone else who hasn't seen it, but is interested in the topic, this actually makes for an interesting short read.

Nate SY
01-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Yeah I was actually shocked. She is normally one of the nicest teachers, but I guess the establishment being threatened scares her. I think she felt bad afterwards and that's why she's actually talking with me about it. I think with a little time I might actually convert her.

And thanks for the pdf link. I'll be sure to leave it on her desk.

slamhead
01-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Hey, I'm not positive if this belongs in this forum or the issue's part sorry if it's the wrong one.

Anyways. I'm 16 and won't be able to vote (sadly) but me and a few friends bought Ron Paul shirts and a whole bunch of slim jims to hand out at our school. Today I gave one to my Psychology teacher. She promptly tore it into pieces and started saying how she hated Ron Paul. After asking her about this she told me about how he is for "No government" and that he "wants to put poor people on the streets" after a little while I got her to tone down on those issues, but afterwards she asked me about Ron wanting to abolish the IRS. I told her that the Federal government would still make as much yearly as they did 10 years ago. She told me that she'll believe that when I can tell her other ways that the Federal government makes money.

So basically can anyone help me out and inform me on the ways government gets money excluding the income tax? Any help is much appreciated.

Also inform her Ron Paul does not want the Federal government to dictate to the schools as this is a state issues.

Also ask her if the Federal government is so good at helping the poor why do we have so many after 40 years.

Nate SY
01-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Haha... I'll be sure to use the 40 years one. I don't know what she'll have to say to that.

Trigonx
01-02-2008, 07:43 PM
I thought it was like 43 cents per gallon.

2young2vote
01-02-2008, 07:46 PM
I had my Ron Paul book and my teacher looked at it then asked if i had a lighter so he could burn it because he hates republicans. He "likes to debate with republicans".

Soccrmastr
01-02-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm 15 and wear my Ron Paul wristband and students for ron paul t shirt. I made a ron paul poster thats up in my Global classroom, I will hope to do more stuff like signs, flyers etc around the school. And you're teacher is obviously an ignorant communist.

fredricko
01-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Tell her it's about rethinking the way we view the role of the government. Right now, everyone expects the government to take care of the poor because they take our money to do that. Now, if the government isn't helping the poor that doesn't necessarily mean that the poor are going to go out on the street.

All of a sudden caring people (like your teacher) have all this extra money not being taken out of their pay check and now it is up to them: People that want to help the poor have the responsibility to donate to charities (or not). The best thing is, this money doesn't get tied up in the bureaucracy and you have the choice to give your money to a cause that you really feel strongly for.

I would argue that the poor would fair better if the government wasn't responsible for caring for them. Right now, people are complacent because everyone thinks "that's the government's responsibility." It should really be "I feel strongly about helping people less fortunatly than me and I will do something to help." When people see a direct correlation between their donations and the benefits, they are encouraged to donate more. That positive feedback doesn't necessarily happen when the government steps in.

hawks4ronpaul
01-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Aren't sales taxes a state thing though? Do you mean something like a federal gas tax? Something less apparent?

I think I covered the cutting taxes pretty well with her, but I'll be sure to remind her of that and add in the 1913 part.

Thanks for the response.

"Excise" taxes (e.g. gas tax) are a type of sales tax.

See http://www.heritage.org/research/features/BudgetChartBook/charts_R/r4.cfm

Your teacher pays non-"income tax" federal tax all the time right under her nose (at the gas pump, in her phone bill, on her paystub's payroll-tax box, and listed in a pie chart on most (every?) year's IRS instructions).

The federal government was 100% funded without an income tax for half our history.

I would like to see evidence that this teacher graduated college and high school.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

Nate SY
01-02-2008, 07:51 PM
I thought it was like 43 cents per gallon.

Na... It's 18.4 for gasoline and 24.4 for diesel. Your probably adding your state gas tax to it. I know in WA we just had a 30 cent hike for our gas tax. I don't know how much it was before that.

RoyalShock
01-02-2008, 07:51 PM
I had my Ron Paul book and my teacher looked at it then asked if i had a lighter so he could burn it because he hates republicans. He "likes to debate with republicans".

These types of things need to be reported to principals, superintendents and school boards. Anyone who is going to disparage a student in this fashion should not be in the teaching profession.

Melissa
01-02-2008, 07:53 PM
I would also remind her that he would like to get rid of the Department of Education which is why we have standerized testing and teachers like her can't teach the way they want when some federal agency is dictating to the entire country 1 standard to maintain.

homah
01-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Sounds like a really immature teacher that would react by ripping up the slim jim and making comments like that.

Nate SY
fredricko so basically you think I should tell her that without those taxes people like her could use their extra money to give to charities and stuff? And support the poor through those?

hawks4ronpaul thanks for clearing that up. That will definitely help support my (Ron's) position when I inform her tomorrow.

piotr1
As a teacher she should be ashamed of herself for acting as she did, as well as for being so uninformed...

Soccrmastr
01-02-2008, 07:58 PM
yeah Nate SY and 2young2votes stories are quite scary ones, teachers being so ignorant and acting dumb in front of students. My Global teacher who teaches US Politics class seems to be liberal-leaning but she follows Ron Paul news and all other candidates news and fully supports me in everything I do for Ron Paul.

cien750hp
01-02-2008, 07:59 PM
don't forget he has that bill to get them an extra 3k
what teacher doesnt want more money? :D

FreeTraveler
01-02-2008, 07:59 PM
fredricko so basically you think I should tell her that without those taxes people like her could use their extra money to give to charities and stuff? And support the poor through those?

Yes, she can still send the same money they were taking for "charity tax" and send it to her choice of charity... and because they won't be taking the money they used to take from her to finance the war, she can also send her "war money" to charity, as well as the "charity money" they used to take from her to send to charity.

This means people who like one thing more than the other can vote with their dollars for more charity and less war. (Psst... it's called the Free Market, but don't confuse her with facts. :))

fredricko
01-02-2008, 08:00 PM

Right. I think it would be a hard point to refute if you were to say that independent charities are more efficient than the federal government.

AggieforPaul
01-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Point out to her that if we brought spending back to its 2000 level and eliminated the income tax, the result between those 2 actions would still be a net surplus.

gerryb
01-02-2008, 08:21 PM
This may help you, a Psychology teacher should be aware of the techniques to control free individuals.....

A twenty minute series on why the income tax supports Fascism
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrQgBpcrJqo&feature=related

Ask her; if you support an income tax, why is that different than supporting slavery?

Try to convince her to show the movie Freedom to Fascism in her class.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1656880303867390173&q=freedom+to+fascism&total=1078&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

slamhead
01-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Yeah I was actually shocked. She is normally one of the nicest teachers, but I guess the establishment being threatened scares her. I think she felt bad afterwards and that's why she's actually talking with me about it. I think with a little time I might actually convert her.

And thanks for the pdf link. I'll be sure to leave it on her desk.

She is probably googling him as we type.

Eric21ND
01-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Did you call him a book burning nazi? :mad:

Jobarra
01-02-2008, 08:36 PM
I haven't talked to one public school teacher yet that supports No Child Left Behind. In fact, I had one say they would vote for Ron Paul immediately upon seeing his views on NCLB as well as his speech against it where he named the act "No Bureaucrat Left Behind". This could be another thing to bring up to her.

As for the budget, just search for 2007 budget and you should be able to find the 2007 budget from the White House in .PDF format. It's fairly large. It lists both the income and the expenditures. I think the Personal income tax was just $880B. The total expenditures was $2.7T. You can see the breakdown of the income where corporate income taxes are something like $800B+. Don't go by my figures though, find the budget and get cold hard facts for her.

fletcher
01-02-2008, 08:46 PM
From wikipedia for 2007L
* $1,163 billion - Individual income tax
* $869.6 billion - Social Security and other payroll taxes
* $370.2 billion - Corporate income tax
* $65.1 billion - Excise taxes
* $26.0 billion - Customs duties
* $26.0 billion - Estate and gift taxes
* $47.2 billion - Other

skeryl
01-02-2008, 08:49 PM
heres a website that says how the govt. spends the income tax money.

http://www.thebudgetgraph.com/site/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1&zenid=44f8b050487099287404bb08fe6a4f0d

nimo
01-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Sounds like you need a new teacher for she is obviously not very educated.

Bold As Love
01-02-2008, 09:15 PM
As a Government and Economics teacher, I support Ron Paul all the way. While I don't think it appropriate to actively campaign for a candidate in the classroom I will say that my students are just as much aware of Ron Paul's candidacy and positions on the issues as they are Obama, Clinton, Guiliani, etc. When we talk about the primaries and the issues, he is always included.

I have used some of his material in teaching Monetary Policy and have referred them to the writings of Murray Rothbard and the Mises group, just like I cover Keynes, Friedman, et al.

His stump speech in New Hampshire a couple weeks ago would actually have been a great review for our quiz on Monetary Policy.

There is quite a bit of bias built into the system without any help from faculty. The statist mentality is kind of subconciously drilled into the curriculum.

I try to avoid bias, but I will often throw some of his stances on issues such as the value of the dollar, role of the Fed., gov't spending and such out there. It tends to lead to some outstanding discussions in the AP classes. I do try to balance that out with contrary points of view, but I don't doubt they know where I stand. (if the bumper stickers and yard signs don't give it away)

paulette
01-02-2008, 09:22 PM

You ROCK Nate! My 16 & 17 year old daughters have their RP t-shirts to wear to school, but I haven't been able to get them to bring any slimjims to school! Good luck with your teacher, you may just be able to get her to see the light!

Nate SY
01-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the support everyone! I think I have a very good presentation for her tomorrow, thanks to all your help. I think she just might "see the light".

And Bold As Love you actually sound a lot like my AP gov. teacher. I'm not quite sure if he supports Paul or not. But he tries to avoid showing personal bias while he's teaching. Good to see there are teachers who are really concerned about their students learning, but still allow them to develop their own opinions.

Bold As Love
01-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Nate, good luck to you. I think that Ron Paul is the easiest candidate to promote. His message does all the work and is sufficient to win reasonable people over.

TruckinMike
01-02-2008, 10:19 PM
I pay $550 every year to the feds for a "heavy use tax" -- this must be paid before I can even get my Tags for my truck($1500). Then there is the fed fuel tax -- mine adds up to over $5000 a year. now imagine every single 18 wheeler on the road paying similar amounts. There are something like 2 million trucks on the road. 2 million X $5550.00 = 11.1 billion just in fuel tax and HU tax for 18 wheelers. -- This does not include any income tax or any of the hundreds of hidden taxes. Like tire disposal, battery, etc.

Ok, how many cars are on the road? Just imagine the Total fuel tax the feds rake in for that. 100 million cars X ??? = big number!

Oh, and don't forget telephone taxes, cell phone tax, radio tax(FCC fees),et. al. --- there are thousands upon thousands of taxes that I and you have never even heard of.

TM

Bold As Love
01-02-2008, 11:04 PM
I came across this on another site a couple weeks ago.

In alphabetical order (does include Income tax)

Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL License Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Perm it Tax
Gasoline Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax),
IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax),
Liquor Tax,
Luxury Tax,
Marriage License Tax,
Medicare Tax,
Property Tax,
Real Estate Tax,
Service charge taxes,
Social Security Tax,
Road Usage Tax (Truckers),
Sales Taxes,
Recreational Vehicle Tax,
School Tax,
State Income Tax,
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA),
Telephone Federal Excise Tax,
Telephone Federal Universal Service Fe e Tax,
Telephone Federal, State and Local Su rcharge Tax,
Telephone Minimum Usage Su rcharge Tax,
Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax,
Telephone State and Local Tax,
Telephone Usage Charge Tax,
Utility Tax,
Vehicle License Registration Tax,
Vehicle Sales Tax,
Watercraft Registration Tax,
Well Permit Tax,
Workers Compensation Tax.

THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago,
and our nation was the most prosperous in the world.
We had virtually no national debt, the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

Sandy
01-02-2008, 11:05 PM

What your psychology teacher did was EXTREMELY unprofessional. I mean EXTREMELY. This is what you can expect from plenty of teachers in the socialist education system now, not that all of them would tear up the slim jim like that necessarily. Her job is not supposed to be humiliating a student or acting like a 5 year old child like she did. Unbelievable. I have read about so many stories involving teachers humiliating students it makes my blood boil, humiliating students who aren't socialist minded or Marxist politically correct. You must conform or else get lambasted. Don't ever give in to it!

She sounds majorly indoctrinated, and not very educated. :eek:

Tariffs, excise taxes, etc. Putting poor people on the streets? Tell her the income tax started at 2%. Tell her a gradually increasing tax on wages is part of the Communist Manifesto. That's not a joke. Tell her the income tax along with inflation caused by the Fed Reserve printing out more and more money is gradually destroyed the middle class which means there is an expanding lower class and an increasing poor population. Tell her the Fed Reserve is a central bank that causes havoc in our economy and is holding us hostage, that the value of the dollar continues to decline because of their purposely reckless policies. Tell her about the housing bubble and massive home foreclosures going on across the country putting people in the streets.

Tell her how 'social security' was supposedly developed to help retirees, and they originally made all sorts of promises. They then went on to tax social security and much more when they said they wouldn't, which certainly doesn't help those retirees to pay the bills. Tell her she is currently paying for the social security of retirees and where does she think the money for her social security income is going to come from? Tell her the government has stolen the social security to use on wasteful things and is bankrupting this country. Ask her why she thinks the income tax is moral, that always stumps people and they get the dear in the headlights look. Tell her it's a form of slavery, and that we are all serfs. 6 months of our salaries go to pay the income tax and other slavery type taxes. Tell her the income tax goes to pay for the Fed Reserve interest, and then ask her why we pay interest in the first place.

I wish I was there when she treated you like that, I would have made mincemeat out of her. :D She would deserve it, too. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I don't take kindly to people that humiliate children and teenagers.