PDA

View Full Version : Huckabee to Cross Picket Lines to be on Leno

Razmear
01-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Source:
http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/index.html

Huckabee is scheduled to appear on "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" Wednesday, despite the fact that TV writers -- who he says he supports "unequivocally" and "absolutely" -- remain on strike.

Pasting whole thing cuz this page changes:

Not ready for prime time (again)?

In an interview with Time Saturday, Mike Huckabee said that he and his staff "learned an important lesson" from the embarrassment he suffered when he didn't know about the new National Intelligence Estimate on Iran a day and a half after it was released. "We are being much more careful now," Huckabee said. "If there is some breaking news, I am being pulled out of events to be sure that I know what may be happening."

That's probably a good idea, and it would be an even better one if Huckabee and his staff actually put it to use.

Huckabee is scheduled to appear on "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" Wednesday, despite the fact that TV writers -- who he says he supports "unequivocally" and "absolutely" -- remain on strike. There's no conflict there, Huckabee explained earlier today, because "there was a special arrangement made for the late-night shows, and the writers have made this agreement to let the late-night shows come back on, so I don't anticipate that it's crossing a picket line."

Not exactly.

While David Letterman's production company, WorldWide Pants, has reached a deal with the Writers Guild of America -- meaning writers are returning to work at "The Late Show" and the WorldWide Pants-produced "Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson" -- NBC hasn't struck any such deal, and the writers are still picketing "The Tonight Show." When a reporter explained the situation to Huckabee today, the candidate again said that his "understanding" was that "there's a sort of dispensation given to the late-night shows."

"Is that right?" he asked.

Told that it wasn't right, Huckabee reportedly said, "Hmm" and "Oh," then moved on to another question.

Update: Talking Points Memo reports that Hillary Clinton will appear on Letterman's picket-free show tonight.
― Tim Grieve

slantedview
01-02-2008, 05:44 PM
that is classic. hopefully he comes to regret it if is does cross the line.

Real_CaGeD
01-02-2008, 05:45 PM
So is Clinton.

nist7
01-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Okay, so Hillary is on Letterman and Huckabee is on Leno?

Anyone know who will be on Conan?

slantedview
01-02-2008, 05:48 PM
So is Clinton.
not really. letterman came to an agreement with his writers. no such agreement has been reached for leno... they're still picketing his show.

fortilite
01-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Who cares? That's their beef. It's between the writers and the producers. I don't blame him one bit for crossing the picket line. He isn't in the writers union.

mtmedlin
01-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Ya, but we could use anything to help us in California. This is the state that will put Ron in the winners circle. This could be a real positive.

FluffyUnbound
01-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Ron crossed a picket line to be on The View.

Kilrain
01-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Ron crossed a picket line to be on The View.

Al Bundy's "No Ma'am" group doesn't count as a picket line.

Sey.Naci
01-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Al Bundy's "No Ma'am" group doesn't count as a picket line.And Ron Paul supports free-market labour negotiations. In other words, just as he supports the rights of workers to strike, he supports the rights of employers, show producers, etc. to do what they can to continue.

The Huckster has taken a different position, one that would suggest he shouldn't cross the picket line.

gb13
01-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Who cares? That's their beef. It's between the writers and the producers. I don't blame him one bit for crossing the picket line. He isn't in the writers union.

The problem is that he says he supports them "unequivocally". If he truly did support their decision to strike, he would not cross the picket lines to shamelessly plug himself.

Hypocrisy.

Razmear
01-02-2008, 06:55 PM
It's another case of a politician saying one thing and doing another.
Anything like this needs to be exploited by 6pm tomorrow, as Huck and Mitt hit each other we can slide right up as they fall.

eb

rfbz
01-02-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm a huge Huckabee critic, but I don't see a problem with him crossing a picket line to be on Leno.

Razmear
01-02-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm a huge Huckabee critic, but I don't see a problem with him crossing a picket line to be on Leno.

As far as any citizen crossing a picket line, it's their choice and none of my business.

But if a presidential candidate says he supports a union "unequivocally" then crosses their picket line to troll for votes, then that should raise some flags about his credibility.

eb

Razmear
01-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Update:
"The Writers Guild thanks the former Governor for his strong statement of support for striking writers," the WGA said in a statement, "and hopes that he will not cross the picket lines at NBC."

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6516416.html

spiteface
01-02-2008, 07:06 PM
I have more criticism for someone who gives in to the demands of the thugs. If he crosses a picket line and gives them the finger it would be the first good thing I've heard of or seen from Huck.

Razmear
01-02-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm Macacca giddy, he backs down he loses, he goes on the show he loses, now if he just makes an ass out of himself tonight Ron will get the #1 spot for sure.

eb

Young_Apprentice
01-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Should be interesting to see David Letterman interview Hillary. I can't imagine him liking her too much.

spiteface
01-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the info Raz. I didn't know he had said that previously. Typical politician.

Razmear
01-02-2008, 07:13 PM
AP has picked it up:

That's not the case with Leno, and pickets outside Leno's Burbank, Calif., studio targeted Huckabee.

"Huckabee is a scab," read one picket sign.

This is freaking beautiful and perfectly timed!

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gHYNzEcZSMpqnA03CsL64Wab_yfQD8TU0OQ80

eb

Razmear
01-02-2008, 07:27 PM
More nice reporting:

Clinton didn't cross any picket lines. Huckabee did, although now he claims he was confused about which show was still being picketed and he wouldn't have agreed to appear if he'd known.

Here's a clue, governor: It's the show with the long line of people out front carrying signs that say "Huckabee is a scab."

http://tvdinner.tuscaloosanews.com/default.asp?item=725523

MN Patriot
01-02-2008, 09:32 PM
I have more criticism for someone who gives in to the demands of the thugs. If he crosses a picket line and gives them the finger it would be the first good thing I've heard of or seen from Huck.

I was on strike 2 years ago. My employer offered us a 33% pay cut, loss of 3/4 of our jobs, less benefits, less vacation, etc. Our union had no choice but to strike, and we were replaced by scabs.

None of us were thugs, we were people who worked for a living. Sorry if all of us aren't born with millions in a trust fund.

For 20 years I worked, paid taxes, had the federal government send my tax money overseas to help communist China and other developing nations. Then my job went overseas to those developing nations, thanks in part to the tax money the government took from me.

Yeah, I got the finger a few times.

LinearChaos
01-02-2008, 09:35 PM
This further perpetuates the "Huckabee is overwhelmed" meme, just like the NIE.

Mesogen
01-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Oh man, both Hilldog and Huckster stepped in it good. They deserve it.

murrayrothbard
01-02-2008, 09:43 PM
I wish the government would go on strike....forever

RP4U&ME
01-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Huck on now...

crhoades
01-02-2008, 11:06 PM
As always - all cotton candy. All jokes and no issues.

RonPaulFTFW
01-02-2008, 11:08 PM
this man angers republicans like my brother.

expect a big defeat for fatty.

Cleaner44
01-02-2008, 11:09 PM
This is just another blatant attemp by Huck to work a cross into his appearence.

noztnac
01-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Crossing picket lines is good. That may be the only thing I've ever supported Huckabee doing.

crhoades
01-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Crossing picket lines is good. That may be the only thing I've ever supported Huckabee doing.

Of course he copied Paul because he crossed for the View.

colecrowe
01-02-2008, 11:17 PM
http://forum.hucksarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5474&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=45

devil21
01-03-2008, 02:35 AM
http://forum.hucksarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5474&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=45

Thats the longest thread on that site.

(a lot of gullible people there too)