PDA

View Full Version : Ad company that helped Ventura win...

raystone
01-02-2008, 03:59 PM
this is on Daily Paul today

Urgent Advertising Strategy.
Posted January 2nd, 2008 by Kane5445
I was watching CNN's Hour Special called "Campaign Killers." As I was watching the special, I caught my on on this production company that worked for ralph nader spread the message in 2000 and helped Ventura vin his election in minnesotta. So I contacted them and this is what I wrote to them:

This company is called Northwoods Ad

To whom it may concern,

After watching CNN's special on political ads, I was compelled to contact this company. I'm a student at City College of New York, studying film production and political science. I've interned for the Executive Producers of the hit documentary "SuperSize Me." Joseph Morley and Heather Winters are owners of the two-in-one company called CBC. CBC is a corporate communications company that produces video, film, and live events for business clients, and a feature documentary film production company (Studio-On-Hudson) that produced "SuperSize Me." I've always had a fascination for film, politics, and marketing. I beleive people like you and me witness politics on a unique level than the average audience.

After following the presidential campaigns amongst republicans and democrats for some time now, and being apart of the Ron Paul movement, I couldn't help but to want to do something that would level the playing field for my candidate. Now before this idea is thrown out, I want you to consider helping the Ron Paul campaign with ads that spread the message of freedom. Upon considering this, I want this company to do research on the grassroots movement that support Ron Paul. Now, you've recently heard that Ron Paul broke all fundraising records by raising an astounding $6.04 million in 24-hours on December 16th, the anniversary of the Boston Tea Party. Over 58,000 supporters donated an average of just $102 to the Ron Paul web site. 25,000 of those supporters were first time donors. When this broke into mainstream headlines, the nation recognized Ron Paul supporters of being apart of the new "American Revolution." Then you also heard that grassroots efforts helped launch the first presidential blimp in US history. Ron Paul is the most searched presidential candidate on the Internet. He has more youtube views on his content than any other candidate. His meet up groups all across the nation tallies at over 8,000 constantly working to help spread Ron Paul's message. This grassroots movement is far more powerful and efficient than any other candidate's grassroots efforts. Now, me as one of these supporters in the same effort, is contacting you because it not only benefits us, but your company.

I ask you to consider advertising for us (outside the Ron Paul campaign since I'm not officially working for them) because if you do your research, the Ron Paul Campaign and our efforts have proven time and time again the internet can be a deadly force. We can spread the message to millions of internet users. Consider tapping into these resources. Consider being apart a vast movement where true grassroots efforts have broken all of mainstream media's expectations of our Candidate Dr. Ron Paul (the only anti-war Republican candidate running for the nomination). It would only benefit both parties, because while we are trying to to spread the message, you know a lot of people are going to have positive feedback. Help Ron Paul get one step closer to the nomination.

Visit:

www.dailypaul.com (just to help you tap into our movement.)

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Salah El-Berawy

THEIR RESPONSE WAS:

Salah-- Thank you for your interest in our company.

We have reached out repeatedly to the Ron Paul campaign (specifically his
communications director, Jesse Benton, and his campaign manager, Lew Moore)
and have received no response whatsoever.

For all the online success of campaigns like Ron Paul's and Howard Dean's,
effective political campaigning today requires a combination of innovative
online communications with creative, breakthrough mass media communications.
We have had success with both.

Obviously, we do not (nor can we afford to) do campaign ads and pay for them
out of our own pocket. We would be interested in helping Ron Paul get his
message out and become truly competitive in the Republican primary, but no
one in the campaign hierarchy seems interested in our expertise.

Perhaps
you and others can change that by calling (703/248-9115) or writing the
campaign or putting pressure on them online. At present, we can't get a
phone call returned. And time has gotten very short for Rep. Paul to prove
his viability. It's likely he will be shut out of the upcoming New
Hampshire debates because of poor poll numbers.

--
Bill Hillsman
President & Chief Creative Officer
North Woods Advertising

MichaelD
01-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Find out how much money they want, and then start a chipin.

ShowMeLiberty
01-02-2008, 04:18 PM
I'd chipin for it, but is there enough time to pull something together before Feb 5th?

hueylong
01-02-2008, 04:19 PM
These guys are pretty good. Maybe we can have the grassroots fund it...

That would be a good news story, too.

Huey

Lord Xar
01-02-2008, 07:14 PM
NO returned calls... shocking!..

Badger Paul
01-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Dammit! If Hillsman wants to help we better connect him with the powers that be in the campaign or tell them that all they have to do is produce the ads, we'll pay for them. I live near Minnesota and that guy knows how to do ads, believe me.

mtmedlin
01-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Raystone,

Are you planning on contacting them and finding out if the grassroots can hire them? If we can ge together 400K for a blimp then we should be able to hire them to help in at least one state. Maybe we can get these guys to lead the charge in California. We win there on Super Tuesday and we will be taken VERY seriously.

DesignerJoes
01-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Im in.... someone call the blimp guy to fund this thing.... blimp guy ...where are you ?

teshuah
01-02-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm in Minnesota... what about having the MN campaign coordinator put a word in too?

Sey.Naci
01-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Lots of advertising and production companies likely contacted each campaign. Since ad firms typically charge huge amounts of money, it doesn't surprise me that RP's campaign didn't return the calls.

katao
01-02-2008, 09:25 PM
WE are the campaign. Find out how much they need and let's debate if it's worth it. If it is, we can fund it ourselves...

kill the banks
01-02-2008, 09:28 PM
are there any links to their work , any video ...?

kill the banks

slantedview
01-03-2008, 12:07 PM
agreed, if someone can get a dollar figure to work with maybe that will clarify things a bit and either prompt action on our part... or not.

teshuah
01-03-2008, 01:34 PM
http://www.northwoodsadvertising.com/

John P Slevin
01-04-2008, 09:37 AM
http://www.publicintegrity.org/consultants/default.aspx?act=profiles&pid=1

The link above is to a profile of the firm---be aware that this profile comes from a Nader group, and that Hillsman worked for Nader in 2000. Hillsman does have a track record of working for insurgents.

Their work is imaginative, first rate quality, and it can be very expensive: Following are figures from the Texas Ethics Commission for what Kinky Friedman paid to North Woods (you can pull these records yourself if you want.

North Woods Advertising, Friedman, Richard S. 8/14/2006 $ 113,884.00 Television Advertising 321673
North Woods Advertising, Friedman, Richard S. 9/14/2006 $ 249,787.22 Television Advertising 321673
North Woods Advertising, Friedman, Richard S. 10/02/2006 $ 249,883.14 Television Advertising 322956
North Woods Advertising, Friedman, Richard S. 10/02/2006 $ 32,111.63 Television Advertising 322956
North Woods Advertising, Friedman, Richard S. 10/11/2006 $ 249,456.73 Television Advertising 322956
North Woods Advertising, Friedman, Richard S. 10/11/2006 $ 32,111.63 Television Advertising 322956
North Woods Advertising, Friedman, Richard S. 10/17/2006 $ 32,111.63 Television Advertising 322956
North Woods Advertising, Friedman, Richard S. 10/23/2006 $ 33,334.85 Television Advertising 322956
North Woods Advertising, Friedman, Richard S. 10/25/2006 $ 349,334.72 Television Advertising 322956

jamesmadison
01-04-2008, 09:41 AM
What is wrong with the campaign?

No more money bombs - lets take over this operation ourselves.

John P Slevin
01-04-2008, 09:43 AM
It is quite naive, pointless and harmful to yammer about harassing the campaign staff with the need to rush into a major, seven figure expenditure when you haven't got a clue what they are looking at.

If you want to fund this yourselves, more power to you...Hillsman does exceptional work. But, it is very costly...the figures I've cited in the previous post were for an independent gubernatorial bid in Texas. Consultants typically charge costs, mark-up and a percentage of ad buys...so, the more times you pay to book the ad, the more money they make.

magicmike
01-05-2008, 01:49 AM
From the looks of the media figures my best guess is that the $30,000 bills are the production for each ad. And the 6 figure amounts are the media buys.

Maybe a production company could be less hefty on the production bills if we offer free or low cost talent/resources.

The dream would be to get a virtual production studio going. If anyone has the resources it would be us. Just need a good automated way to coordinate, direct, and create a pool of resources to pull off of. Need a website that can handle media resources, and offer all produced source material for free to anybody that wants to go off and make their own project. Maybe get a bid system in to encourage professional artists to set aside more time towards a Ron Paul project.