PDA

View Full Version : "That's the kind of guy we need to be President"

rajibo
07-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Well, my parents came to visit me in my new apartment today, and the conversation eventually turned political. My Mom brought up that she was leaning toward Guilliani and I let her know that I strongly opposed that position. She asked who I was supporting and I told her Ron Paul. Neither my Mom or Dad had heard of him. I proceeded to enthusiastically inform them of his positions and my Dad said "That's the kind of guy we need to be President".

My parents are relatively politically knowledgable, but it blew my mind that they didn't even recognize the name. Granted, they get their news from CNNFOXMSNBC, but it really hit me, and made me realize how much name recognition may be our biggest obstacle.

I'm now going to work twice as hard to get the name out there. And if my Dad gets hooked, my Mom will too. 2 more votes for RP! :D

PS: I mailed in my voter registration today, new address and new party: Republican :eek: . Make that 3 more votes for RP. :p

shrugged0106
07-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Well, my parents came to visit me in my new apartment today, and the conversation eventually turned political. My Mom brought up that she was leaning toward Guilliani and I let her know that I strongly opposed that position. She asked who I was supporting and I told her Ron Paul. Neither my Mom or Dad had heard of him. I proceeded to enthusiastically inform them of his positions and my Dad said "That's the kind of guy we need to be President".

My parents are relatively politically knowledgable, but it blew my mind that they didn't even recognize the name. Granted, they get their news from CNNFOXMSNBC, but it really hit me, and made me realize how much name recognition may be our biggest obstacle.

I'm now going to work twice as hard to get the name out there. And if my Dad gets hooked, my Mom will too. 2 more votes for RP! :D

PS: I mailed in my voter registration today, new address and new party: Republican :eek: . Make that 3 more votes for RP. :p

My wife and I both are writing a long letter to all of our friends and family that will request that any gifts they plan to give us be in the form of donations to the campaign and more importantly, a vote ofr Dr. paul!!

j650
07-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Nice work. I've convinced my mom who is an independent to support Ron Paul. My Dad has voted democrat for about 40 years so it'll be extremely tough to change his mind, but I haven't talked to him about it yet. He liked Bill Clinton so I imagine he'll lean towards Hillary. Other than that I've talked to a few people who said they weren't sure who they would support, but would never vote for Hillary under any circumstances. So I told them to look up Ron Paul on you tube and they've been converted. God help us all if it's Hillary Clinton vs. Rudy Giuliani.

UCFGavin
07-14-2007, 05:41 PM
sounds good. i know i've pretty much got my parents in the bag, time to work on the rest.

ronpaulitician
07-14-2007, 05:44 PM
I think at this stage, it is indeed name recognition that's a problem.

"Who's Ron Paul?"

That's the question we want people to ask.

I'm gonna probably end up making some T-shirts that just say ASK ME ABOUT RON PAUL. That's about as to the point as it can get.

wbbgjr
07-14-2007, 05:44 PM
I also will be helping my mom and dad change from Democrat to Republican just to vote for Ron Paul.

Lord Xar
07-14-2007, 05:47 PM

AWESOME.. I got my brother on board.. working on another friend.

Listen, you also need them to register as republicans AND become delegates in your state as republicans....

ecliptic
07-14-2007, 06:01 PM
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5823/paulheartdeeszj0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Save the Constitution before a false-flag attack on the U.S.S. Enterprise is blamed on Iran and nuclear war erupts in the middle east... (http://www.signs-of-the-times.org/articles/show/136367-%22Mr+Chertoff+to+the+White+Courtesy+Phone%22)

RP08
07-14-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm older than many of the forum members but it's still just as tough to get parents to take information from their kids. I mean, as financial "get out of debt" guru Dave Ramsey always says, "They powdered your butt, you think they're gonna listen to you now?"

Still, the possibility for exposure is there. I try to approach it from a "Here's a little information... the rest, please go explore more and decide for yourself" perspective. I don't want anyone to leave the conversation thinking I was just trying to convince them of my own opinion. Ron Paul sells himself very well.

But, as many have pointed out, very few people paying attention to politics have remembered the name or given it much thought. I suspect they're looking at the so called front-runners and already trying to sort out which is the lesser of the evils to consider for their vote, not knowing there's this phenomenon candidate who is amazingly not evil at all.

As for my own mother, she was hard core Reagan and traditional Republican fan until Bush Sr. turned her off completely to politics and decided to support Clinton next. She was very pleased with Clinton's performance in office, even blowing off the silly Lewinsky "scandal", and basically had her mind hard switched against the Republican party due to neo-con infiltration and forced control.

When I first started talking to her about Ron Paul, she just about closed me down at the mention of his running as a Republican. She basically was set on voting for Hilary just to get Bill back "in the system". It took a lot of work to help her understand that I was aware of the significant difference between Buch/Cheney (etc.) Republican and "traditional" Republican.

When I did get to start answering some questions, I didn't push too much on mom, she's brittle ya know, and a few days later the NH straw poll results were anounced. After I read her the article with the results, she said "Hey, you guys may be on to something with this Ron Paul guy." She asked for more material, and after a few days with a handful of links to videos, audio interview, and text information I asked her if she wanted me to put a Ron Paul sticker on her car. After hesitating and making some strange (thinking) noises, she finally said "Um... yes. I do. Absolutely."

shrugged0106
07-14-2007, 06:36 PM
These are my favorite type of tread topics. Just makes me smile

ARealConservative
07-14-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm older than many of the forum members but it's still just as tough to get parents to take information from their kids. I mean, as financial "get out of debt" guru Dave Ramsey always says, "They powdered your butt, you think they're gonna listen to you now?"

That has been may experience as well.

My inlaws are on board. So is my sister-in law and her boyfriend.

Yet my mom wont look at a republican. My brother is a hawk, and my dad refuses to have anything to do with it until the general election - and even then he is a complete mystery on who he supports. 5 presidential elections have went by and he refused to say who he votes for. Personally, I think he is a minarchist of some sort but refuses to share his beliefs. :mad:

I say that because for a split second his eyes shined the first time I talked about how I'm working my ass off for a constitutionalist to get elected. He then dryly remarked how nobody decent runs for office.

rajibo
07-14-2007, 06:50 PM

As for my own mother, she was hard core Reagan and traditional Republican fan until Bush Sr. turned her off completely to politics and decided to support Clinton next. She was very pleased with Clinton's performance in office, even blowing off the silly Lewinsky "scandal", and basically had her mind hard switched against the Republican party due to neo-con infiltration and forced control.

When I first started talking to her about Ron Paul, she just about closed me down at the mention of his running as a Republican. She basically was set on voting for Hilary just to get Bill back "in the system". It took a lot of work to help her understand that I was aware of the significant difference between Buch/Cheney (etc.) Republican and "traditional" Republican.

When I did get to start answering some questions, I didn't push too much on mom, she's brittle ya know, and a few days later the NH straw poll results were anounced. After I read her the article with the results, she said "Hey, you guys may be on to something with this Ron Paul guy." She asked for more material, and after a few days with a handful of links to videos, audio interview, and text information I asked her if she wanted me to put a Ron Paul sticker on her car. After hesitating and making some strange (thinking) noises, she finally said "Um... yes. I do. Absolutely."

Last election, I was at odds with my whole family. I was steadfastly supporting Kerry and they were steadfastly supporting Bush. The war was my only issue at the time, and I guess they believed Bush was a real conservative, who had all our welfare at heart. I don't know what they believed. Unfortunately, I got into a real argument with my older brother and think he fell into the "if we don't attack them, they'll attack us" card.

I'm just so happy that I now have a mainstream candidate (piss off MSM) that I can debate for, and guide people to, and finally believe that what I've believed for years is not just psychobabble.

I was registered Libertarian for 5 years. This year at my driver's license renewal I changed that to Independent. I just didn't think the Libertarian party was doing a good job of spreading the message which I really believed in. I'm now a Republican. Go figure. Dr. Paul came along at the perfect time for me, and I truly believe that regardless of whether he wins this thing, he has legitimized our message and only good things can come from it.

BTW, the book that made me a Libertarian was Peter McWilliam's "Ain't Nobody's Business if you Do", which I read my freshman year in college in 1993. I actually did a speech on a review of the book in my Speech class prior to reading it. It's all just common sense to me.......:rolleyes:

Lord Xar
07-14-2007, 07:32 PM
I just want to make sure that those you talk to... get registered as republican delegates and vote DURING THE PRIMARIES... It doesn't matter if you convince them if they don't vote in the primaries...

Can someone post this info.?

Ronstock '08
07-14-2007, 09:20 PM

"My parents are relatively politically knowledgable, but it blew my mind that they didn't even recognize the name. Granted, they get their news from CNNFOXMSNBC, but it really hit me, and made me realize how much name recognition may be our biggest obstacle."

This is why RP polls at 2%. We've GOT to increase name recognition or we're sunk.

It goes without saying that you should have a bumper sticker on your car. Don't forget the little things like printing www.ronpaul2008 on all your money.

Check out my van window....http://www.flickr.com/photos/9139407@N02/765493317/

A booth at your local county fair is a great place to reach thousands.

Put a sign in your yard. Email all your contacts.

The main thing is.....just do something!

DeadheadForPaul
07-14-2007, 09:23 PM
That has been may experience as well.
my dad refuses to have anything to do with it until the general election - and even then he is a complete mystery on who he supports. 5 presidential elections have went by and he refused to say who he votes for. Personally, I think he is a minarchist of some sort but refuses to share his beliefs. :mad: .

Hah. MY dad is the EXACT same way. He has never admitted to voting for any Presidential candidate though I did a search on donations and saw that he gave money to a Senate campaign in 2006 (because the guy was one of his frat brothers from college). We're complete opposites. He doesnt talk about politics and I live politics

Richie
07-14-2007, 09:35 PM
My Dad was actually the one who introduced me to Ron Paul. I heart living in a Constitutionalist household. :D

Delivered4000
07-15-2007, 03:31 AM
Name recognition is one of our biggest obstacles

kimosabi
07-15-2007, 04:10 AM
The other that is key, once you have made someone a Ron Paul, excourage them to tell everyone they know about Ron Paul.

Generally, once someone hears the Ron Paul message they start spontaneously start spreading the word, but it can't hurt to put the thought in someones mind.

Electric Church
07-15-2007, 04:36 AM
you know there's people who come on this forum and say that young people are "part of the problem" in the Ron Paul campaign. No w of course upon seein this I was enraged biut in response I posted a video where Ron Paul said that a lot of people that were coming to him said that their kids told them about him.

This is what is so real about this thing....it seems the younger generation is waking up the older genetration and the enemies of this revolution want to discredit and downplay the essential role that young people have and will have in the success of this revolution

SeanEdwards
07-15-2007, 04:37 AM
My uncle is a total nutcase diehard democrat. He seems completely impervious to the reality of the democrat candidates and agenda, and seems to be operating under the illusion that the democrats are the party of JFK, or something. He really does seem to believe that the democrats want to 'protect' the little guy, while the republicans want to 'shaft' the little guy. It's as if he is living within a myth that only exists in his mind. To him, democrats are the good guys, and republicans are the bad guys, and that's just how it has been and shall always be.

Even if I get him to accept that the current democrats are as bad as the republicans, his retort is "Well, I want a new batch of crooks in charge!" It's really infurating.

I tried to drag his cantankerous ass down to see Ron Paul live at the rally in mountain view, a whole 15 minutes travel for him, but he couldn't be bothered. Said he had hurt his toe. The bastard pisses me off sometimes. :mad:

*edit* The crazy luddite doesn't even own a computer. Can you believe that? I tell him, "dude, it's the 21st century. What is your problem?" He says, "I heard they can steal your identity over the internet." Dumb freakin bastard. I think I'd kick his ass if we weren't related.