PDA

View Full Version : Free Voice Chat (Teleconferencing) about the campaign

danda
07-14-2007, 04:00 PM
I have setup a TeamSpeak server that anyone interested in Ron Paul's campaign can use to discuss ideas, meet people, etc.

TeamSpeak is teleconferencing software designed mainly for the online gaming community that combines voice with text style chat. It supports multiple channels irc style. Free client software is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

I don't know how useful or popular this will be. I am making it available just in case. Much like these forums, It is up to us all to decide how best to use such tools. A couple of ideas I can think of where it could be helpful are for individual meetup groups to coordiniate, or for the campaign teleconferences.

Right now, there are no restrictions on who can login. That will remain in effect unless and until I learn that the service is being abused somehow.

For starters there is just one default channel "ronpaul". I can create sub-channels if anyone has a specific request. Or individuals can create your own temporary channels. I am "danda" on TeamSpeak, and for now I am the only person with access to create *permanent* channels.

Just as one example, we could create sub-channels for individual meetup groups.

=== Instructions for Logging In ===

Downloading TeamSpeak

Go this page and download the *client* (not server) package for your operating system:
http://www.goteamspeak.com/index.php?page=downloads

Run the downloaded file to install the software on your computer. Once
installed, run the program.

Step by Step Setup for Teamspeak Client:

From the "Connection" Menu Select "Connect" (Connection -> Connect)
Right click on the "Servers" label in the tree on the left hand pane
Select "Add Server"
Name the "New Server" "RONPAULPLANET" ( Or whatever you like, really )
set the "Server Address" to "ronpaulplanet.org:8768"
set your "Nickname" (eg your first name, or an alter-ego)
select the "Anonymous" radio button
leave the "Server Password" blank
click the "Connect" button

After following the previous steps you should be logged into Teamspeak within a few seconds. You will most likely need to tweak sound settings (Settings -> Sound Input /
Output Settings). Personally, I recommend using the "Push to Talk" option
since it cuts down on unintentional communication. If you don't have a USB
headset or laptop you may also need to adjust your output volumes. :-)

I don't have a web-page up for this yet. I may create one later. For now though, you may find the following page helpful while getting started:

http://mac.clanhalo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6023

enjoy.

MikeStanart
07-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Very good idea! I was thinking the same thing the other day.

What is the Maximum Capacity?

jpa
07-14-2007, 04:07 PM
very nice! thank you...

The campaign could use this instead of conference calls... cheaper and allows muting / certain people only can talk.

danda
07-14-2007, 04:14 PM
What is the Maximum Capacity?

200 at present. We'll see how it goes with the bandwidth if that needs to be raised or lowered.

ThePieSwindler
07-14-2007, 04:16 PM
ventrilo is better sound quality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aravoth
07-14-2007, 04:24 PM
I was thinking about this earlier, Have the conference calls on Vent. TS isn't bad, it's proven, I've used it several times when I used to play AO and Eve.

MikeStanart
07-14-2007, 04:29 PM
ventrilo is better sound quality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ventrilo costs a lot of money per month....Lets test this out in TS....if the demand for Vent arises, as a community we can make it happen.

ThePieSwindler
07-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Ventrilo costs a lot of money per month....Lets test this out in TS....if the demand for Vent arises, as a community we can make it happen.

Oh ok didn't know haha. My bad - tried to switch to a better codec, might sounds slightly better.

Anyways, gotta get off TS now ill be on a bit later.

danda
07-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Yeah, various codecs are available in TS. I guess we'll need to play with em to see which sound best.

I like TS because it has a decent linux client, as well as mac and windows. And its free for both server and clients (for up to 1000 users). Unfortunately the text-messaging/chat is a bit cumbersome though, as you need to click "Send text message to all" in the menu, instead of just having a text area at the bottom to type into.

It may be that voice chat is best suited for two types of events:

1) Planned meetings, such as the campaign teleconferences or meetup groups.

2) When a big event is happening, such as the Iowa or Bay Area rallies.

It may be helpful to post the server info when such events are about to occur.

danda
07-14-2007, 06:38 PM
I just added a Ron Paul Revolution graphic, for a friendlier touch. :)

Okay, I'll be out of town for a couple of days without net access, but I invite y'all to use this service meanwhile.