PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Turn a Good Speech Into a Great One

PaulineDisciple
01-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Last time I asked for help on a speech for a Tea Party 07 event and you guys came through for me. This time I am going to be officially representing the Ron Paul campaign for the Kansas Caucus on Feb. 9. Saturday we are going to have a practice and video taping session to get official approval from the RP campaign.

Here is my speech, the coordinator for Eastern Kansas said it was awsome, but I want to make it better. Please feel free to add to or re-phrase. It needs to be kept down to 10 minutes. Thank you in advance.

Kansas Caucus Speech

30 years ago Ron Paul entered into politics because he saw that our country was headed in the wrong direction and that we were no longer heeding the advice of our founders. Now 30 years later he is still fighting to keep our constitutional rights intact. He has certainly earned our votes for his candidacy. My talk here tonight for this great statesman, is to announce to you that now is the time to elect the only true conservative into the highest office of this great nation of ours.

Here is why I support Ron Paul for the presidency.

Ron Paul has, by far, the best voting record.
He has never voted to raise taxes or for an unbalanced budget.
He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership, which has earned him an A+ rating from the Gun Owners of America organization.
He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
He has never taken a government-paid junket.
He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.
He voted against regulating the Internet.
He voted against the Iraq war.
He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.
He introduces numerous pieces of substantive legislation each year, probably more than any single member of Congress.
He will abolish the IRS and replace it with <pause> NOTHING. He will do this by stopping all of the unconstitutional spending that our government beauracrats have gotten used to.
He will get rid of that dollar destroying, secretive and unaccountable private bank known as the FED. For almost one hundred years, government beauracrats have been allowing this private centralized bank to devalue our money by printing it out of thin air, usually to bail out the big corporations that help keep these big government beauracrats in office. He plans on doing this by allowing for competition and returning to a gold standard as the constitution requires. I don’t know about you, but if given the choice, I would take dollars backed by gold and silver any day over fiat money.
He will end plans to build a NAFTA superhighway and the plans to form a North American Union, which would make our constitution null and void.
He will protect our borders and refuse to grant amnesty to illegal aliens. He will get rid of the incentives that cause illegal aliens to come into this country in the first place by not granting them birthright citizenship, free health care or a free education.

Ron Paul is the only candidate that is making a strong principled stand for life. As a OBGYN, having delivered over 4,000 babies, he knows that unborn babies are a human life with legal rights and protections. He believes that in cases where a human life is being taken that these cases should be taken care of in a similar fashion as murder cases are handled and that is on the local level. Ron Paul believes as do I, that the case of Roe vs. Wade was a case where the federal government overstepped its bounds and gave a single federally mandated solution to this very complex problem. He understands the importance of nominating strict constructionist judges who recognize state's rights when dealing with these kinds of issues. Ron Paul will work hard to end this tyranny of the federal courts.

Ron Paul is the only candidate that will protect our liberties. He is one of the few that voted against that deceptively misnamed “patriot act”. Ron Paul also opposed the Military Commissions Act which permits torture, or what politicians like to call “enhanced interrogation techniques”, it allows for the arbitrary detention of American citizens as unlawful enemy combatants at the full discretion of the president and without the right of Habeas Corpus, and grants warrantless searches by the National Security Agency. It also gives to the president the power to imprison individuals based on secret testimony. These assaults on our liberties are disgraceful and Ron Paul is the only candidate in this race that has shown the intestinal fortitude to stand against these attacks. We must remember that when we sacrifice liberty for security we will lose both.

He will end the occupation of foreign nations that over-extend our military and throw us into insurmountable debt and that cause other nations to resent our presence. If you don’t agree with this kind of foreign policy, just ask yourself if you would shoot at foreign troops if they occupied our nation.

We have over 700 bases in 130 different nations. We spend approximately $1 trillion dollars per year to maintain our global military presence around the world. The simple fact is, we can no longer afford this and it is our children that we are going to be making to pay for all of this. We have a dollar on the brink if collapse, our economy is in shambles, our good name around the world has been tarnished, our Government is out of control with spending, our national debt stands at approx. $9 trillion dollars. Ron Paul is the only candidate who is speaking forcefully about all these issues and has a real plan to fix them.

It’s been said that this man is an isolationist, but nothing could be further from the truth. In fact the true isolationist are the ones that think that they have to have an intimidating presence in other countries, but the truth of the matter is that it is these kinds of policies that isolate us from having peaceful and friendly relationships with other nations.

Ronald Reagan said of this man, “He is one of the outstanding leaders fighting for a stronger national defense, as a former air force officer, he knows well the needs of our armed forces and he always puts them first, we need to keep him fighting for our country.”

Ron Paul is the only candidate that will protect our pursuit of happiness, otherwise known as our right to keep an own property. As a mature Christian statesman, Ron Paul recognizes that the Bible only gives government a very limited role in society and that the government’s role is limited to protecting these individual rights. When a government violates these rights, through whatever means, they are breaking God’s law and liable for such offenses. In God’s eyes theft is still theft, even though civil laws may be passed to make it legal for the government to engage in it. Therefore Ron Paul is very cautious not to engage in these unlawful acts against humanity. In one radio interview, Ron Paul has agreed that Biblically speaking it is not the role of the civil government at any level, federal, state or local to house, clothe, feed or educate anybody, for in doing so, they would have to violate the rights of individuals by forcibly taking from some individuals in order to give to others. To give you an idea of why these politicians would do such a thing, studies have shown that 60-70 percent of this money fades into the bureaucracy and only 30-40 percent actually gets to the people in need. This demonstrates that centralizing these benefits is in fact the most inefficient way to provide them. The Biblical and more efficient way to help the needy is for the local Church to provide for them. I have personally witnessed that when a Church provides for the needy, over 90 percent of the money goes to those in need.

So if you want the only candidate that will fight hard for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all Americans, Ron Paul is your man.

The old media is trying to tell us that Ron Paul is a longshot and does not have a chance to win, but here are some numbers that they are hiding from you.

His supporters without any help from the campaign raised a record $4.3 million in one day on Nov 5 th, and over $6 million on Dec 16th which would brings his total campaign contributions for the 4th quarter to about $20 million.

Ron Paul has received more donations from active military personnel than any other candidate.

He has over 88,000 meetup members in well over 1400 meetup groups nationwide. Compare this to Rudy Guiliani with only 25 members in 3 meetup groups or Hillary Clinton 1200 members in 45 meetup groups.

He has won first place in 32 of the 55 straw polls held around the nation this fall, of which 46 of those, he placed in the top 3. In our straw poll in Johnson County, Ron Paul got 79 votes out of 79 voters, 40 of which said that they had switched to the Republican party to vote for Dr. Paul, which demonstrates just one more reason why Ron Paul is the only candidate that has a chance at beating the Democratic nominee this year.

Post Republican debate polls show Ron Paul winning, and in most cases by a large margin.

MSNBC on May 3rd with 47%, CNN on June 5th with 60%, ABC on August 5th with 63%, Fox News on September 5th with 33%, CNBC on October 9th with 74%, Fox News on October 21st with 34%, CNN on November 28th with 51%.

He also has an advertising blimp for fly-overs of major events. All of this is coming from private individuals that like his message of peace, prosperity and freedom.
I hope that this will quench all fears whether or not Ron Paul can win the presidency.

One such individual, Lawrence Lepard, has even taken out a full page add in USA Today costing him $85,000 dollars and another add in the New York Times on why he spent that money.

Here are a few quotes from his ads:

“The America that I grew up in believed in the rule of law, not the rule of man.”
“The America that I grew up in believed in the golden rule: treat people the way we would like them to treat us.”
“I see the U.S. involved in an aggressive, undeclared war against a country that did not represent a threat to us in any way. We were lead into this war using false and inaccurate information. This war has increased the number of emotionally charged enemies who conspire to attack us.”
“I see a country that has violated the Geneva Conventions. I see a country that has violated the Christian Doctrine of Just War Theory... President Eisenhower once said, Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly, I would not listen to anyone who seriously talked about such a thing.”
“We need a President who is intelligent enough to recognize, and honest enough to admit, that the resentment and hatred directed towards America are the unintended consequences of decades of maintaining a foreign policy of interference and occupation. They don’t hate us because we are free. They hate us because we’re (over) there, or because we are aiding their enemies.”
“If it sounds like I am angry. That is right. I am angry that my money becomes worth less every year because the Federal Reserve can print money out of thin air. I am angry that the actions of the Fed put the economy through boom and bust cycles that benefit financiers at the expense of the middle class, retirees and the poor.”

[End of quotes]

Ron Paul’s message of Freedom, Prosperity and Peace has sparked a second revolution in this country, which is really not a second, but a continuation of the first revolution. And it is for this reason that I am convinced that the old media is in for a surprise when Ron Paul not only takes the Republican nomination, but he will win the presidency in November by a landslide.

What I am asking from you here tonight is more than just the support of a honest and sincere candidate, what I want from you, is to adopt not only this man’s political philosophy, but his moral integrity and passion to restore what our founding fathers were willing to sacrifice their lives, fortunes and sacred honor for.

If you want peace, prosperity and freedom for you and your children, I ask you to vote for Ron Paul.

Chester Copperpot
01-02-2008, 11:58 AM
IF you want a GREAT speech and not just an okay one you must THROW OUT YOUR NOTES AND NOT READ FROM ANYTHING...

You will speak from your heart with natural emotion that will infuse all your listeners.. Notice how the good Doctor very rarely reads from notes? same thing

PaulineDisciple
01-02-2008, 12:03 PM
But I have a habit of rambling and straying off topic. If I had time to memorize each point I want to make, I would, but for now I would like to read it. I see your point though and agree, thanks for the input. And besides the speech needs to be approved by the campaign and I would not want to interject anything during the speech that the campaign would not approve.

Chester Copperpot
01-02-2008, 12:09 PM
But I have a habit of rambling and straying off topic. If I had time to memorize each point I want to make, I would, but for now I would like to read it. I see your point though and agree, thanks for the input. And besides the speech needs to be approved by the campaign and I would not want to interject anything during the speech that the campaign would not approve.

I bet you already have all of your speech points memorized already.. Im sure you think about these things all day when you talk to friends or whenever.. You already know your main points, I would bet money on it.

Paulbot_9876
01-02-2008, 12:10 PM
ask not what your country can do for you...but what ron paul can do for your country....mwaahaahaahaa

UtahApocalypse
01-02-2008, 12:12 PM
The best speech will be one from your heart.

Cardinal Red
01-02-2008, 12:16 PM
But also think about Independent voters. We do not need to reach those who think just like us-- They are on the team already. Instead, we need to be reaching out to those who don't think just like us, but respect RP's integrity and can find common ground with him on enough issues to vote for him

PaulineDisciple
01-02-2008, 12:20 PM
I bet you already have all of your speech points memorized already.. Im sure you think about these things all day when you talk to friends or whenever.. You already know your main points, I would bet money on it.

Actually, you are right about that, I am known at my work as that Ron Paul guy. I have listened to all of the MP3's at Ron Paul audio and have burned literally hundreds of CD's of all of those MP3's and have handed them out to co-workers, store employee's of all the stores I shop at and to waitresses at all of the restaurants that I eat at. But I just feel more comfortable reading my speech at this time. Since I have over a month, I might record it to MP3 and listen to it over and over again so as to have it memorized. I would still like to have input if their is any part that I could refine a bit.

Thanks again for your advice.

Eric21ND
01-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Ok first of all get Larry's ad that he bought to run in the NY Times. The one where he spent $85,000 for Dr. Paul to be elected. Great stuff in there! Anyone have the link to this?

Also take notes from this speech from a Virginia Ron Paul supporter. Excellent speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt9OhYOBabc

Same speech, better audio maybe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4gekaUJgls

raystone
01-02-2008, 12:27 PM
the best speeches to persuade people start with a problem. why should I listen ? why should I care ? use some stats like how everyone's money is worth less now, or national debt #'s and the inevitable results of reduced standard of living for all. Even Ron Paul doesn't "bring it home" enough on these issues and create the cognitive dissonance to get more citizens emotionally involved.

where are we headed now and then how Ron Paul as President, working with Congress, will turn it around. Paint the picture, again even Ron Paul hasn't given clear #'s (e.g., MTP) on how we can eliminate the IRS and maintain Federal programs people are concerned about - Medicare, etc.

for details... check out this link...

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sciman/classes/324/organizer/persuaSpeech.html

dshields
01-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Actually, you are right about that, I am known at my work as that Ron Paul guy. I have listened to all of the MP3's at Ron Paul audio and have burned literally hundreds of CD's of all of those MP3's and have handed them out to co-workers, store employee's of all the stores I shop at and to waitresses at all of the restaurants that I eat at. But I just feel more comfortable reading my speech at this time. Since I have over a month, I might record it to MP3 and listen to it over and over again so as to have it memorized. I would still like to have input if their is any part that I could refine a bit.

Thanks again for your advice.

Maybe just create a few bullet point to use as a guide through your speech. Let the details come when you are giving the speech because you might find the crowd responds better to one point more than the other so take the liberty to expand more on the points that resonate.

I would say ditch the details and work off a bulleted summary.

Dave

curtisag
01-02-2008, 12:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt9OhYOBabc

This video is a great speech given on Dr. Paul's behalf at the Virginia straw poll.

Minuteman
01-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Love that video. Just think how daunting it would be to have to get up after Chris and the thundering applause he recieved, to talk about another candidate.

As to the OP. In oration its better to speak to people than to read to people. I suggest instead of having a written speach prepared, which you can easily get lost in if not reading directly from it, to just get some 3X5's and have your talking points written down. Have your quotes and figures if you plan to have any also written down so they can be accurate. If you feel like you are losing your place, stop on a strong point and regather yourself. If you are not used to speaking in front of a large crowd it can seem rather daunting looking at all those people. Instead of looking at faces, look at the tops of heads and remember you are not talking to only a couple people in the audience, but to everyone so you need to not focus on one individual to talk to.

I know this is pretty standard oration techniques, hope you find them helpful.

TwiLeXia
01-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Emotion. Power. It doesn't matter what you say, as long as you say it with the full force of all your belief and passion into it.

That being said, I recommend starting out with something like this:

There is only one candidate in the entire race who wants to withdraw our troops from Iraq immediately.
There is only one candidate in the entire race who wants to cut all unnecessary spending, both foreign bases and domestic programs.
There is only one candidate in the entire race who wants to destroy the income tax, and replace it with nothing.
There is only one candidate in the entire race who has voted consistently, his entire career, for his traditional conservative, Republican, and constitutional views, even when it was the rest of congress against him.
There is only one candidate in the entire race who believes peace and non-intervention is truly the best foreign policy, as the founding fathers recommended.

That one candidate is Congressman Ron Paul.

Ron Paul was an... (etc)

--

So start it off with that if you desire, with power and emotion. Emphasize some of the main words with passion. Good luck!

manny
01-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Hope it goes well. Sounds like you're covering a lot of info.

On the notes vs no notes debate it really depends. Do whatever you're comfortable with. I hate public speaking but have had to do quite a bit and always want to type out everything but too often ended up reading it in too much of a mumble, looking at the sheet.

If you go to a stationary shop they'll have lots of small cards you can buy to put on the main points.

If you still decide to read it from a complete print then my advice is to really take your time. It's so easy to rush. A tip I use is to break it into lots of small paragraphs as you type it. Make sure that you pause after each paragraph and look at the people you're talking to - it's important that they know you're talking to them, not at them.

Most of all have fun and relax. Just take your time and know you will get through to some of those listening. They know it isn't easy to speak in public and it's amazing how much people will pay attention to anyone who has the guts to stand up in front of a group. Good luck!! :)