PDA

View Full Version : Editorial feedback needed

Harald
07-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Take a closer look at Ron Paul’s heroes

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070714/OPINION01/207140316/-1/news

CONCLUSION: Paul’s characterization of Ed and Elaine Brown, the armed tax evaders holed up in Plainfield, as heroic deserves the attention of New Hampshire voters.

Ron Paul is entitled to his views, however incendiary. But he really ought to leave Martin Luther King out of it. Let’s hope New Hampshire Republican primary voters are paying attention.

– The Keene Sentinel

⇒ React to this editorial

JoshLowry
07-14-2007, 02:20 PM
They conveniently left out how Dr. Paul said he is for non violent civil disobedience and does not support armed disobedience.

Someone on their forums has brought it to the attention of that reporter: http://forum.nashuatelegraph.com/viewtopic.php?t=893&sid=6c2e0b8b9b6d4f5fe264809106a2f75d

LibertyEagle
07-14-2007, 05:40 PM
bump

FreedomLover
07-14-2007, 07:03 PM
here is a good counter to this: Its on the forum http://forum.nashuatelegraph.com/viewtopic.php?p=6236#6236

thanks demosthenes, for bringing up the actual quote:

Ill break it down for yall

Interviewer: And currently there’s a situation in Plainfied NH with Ed and Elaine Brown. And these people are simply asking the government to show them the law that requires them to pay an income tax on their labor. And instead of the government showing them the law they send a bunch of US marshals with guns and urban assault vehicles. And I am wondering what you think this tells us about the IRS and the legality of the income tax?

Notice how in the interview, the interviewer doesn't give any indication that the Browns are hold up in a compound, or that they have any kind of weapons, or that they plan to fight to the death.

Next

Ron Paul: Well it gives you the perfect reason why you have to get rid of this monster…you know because of what has happened. And a lot of individuals have taken the IRS on and some of them have suffered from it and it sounds like they be on the verge of suffering or already have suffered for….

Notice, again, Ron Paul seems to know very little about the situation, just based off what the interviewer has told him, he doesnt even know if they're in jail yet or not. The articles title indicates specifically that the Browns are his "heroes." So why doesn't he seem to know anything about them?

Next

Lee Rogers: [b]Mr. Schiff example….

Ron Paul: Yea…..they…you go to prison

The interviewer interjects by saying Mr. Shiffs name. The person he mentions is Irwin Schiff, a prominent tax evader who has written numerous books outlining the illegality of the income tax, and taking his position to court numerous times. Read: Not some violent kook holded up in his house.

This guy is what makes Ron paul lead into his glittering defense of people in the tax-protestor movement in this paragraph. NOT the browns.

...And what they are doing is standing up for the law because the law is the Constitution. Other individuals have done this on the monetary issue. You know that Federal Reserves notes aren’t legal tender. Gold and silver are legal tender….they go and fight this… So you fight it at your own risk. Because it’s civil disobedience according to “their system”. It’s weird that you’re breaking the law when you’re obeying the Constitution. But that’s the point we’re at. So in many ways people who point this out and fight the tax code and fight the monetary system are heroic. I mean I gave a speech on the House floor just recently and called them the true patriots. But I also point out that it’s risky business. And I compare them to people like Gandhi who’s willing to speak out and have ah…and try to bring about change in a peaceful manner. Martin Luther King fought laws that were unfair and unjust. But he suffered, too. But it takes people like that to stand up and talk about these things and point it out instead of us all being zombies and just going along. And ah…it is easier to go along with the system because just the idea…how many times have just about all of us given up our social security number. I mean I give it up. I shouldn’t do it on some of those occasions. But I have a bill in Congress that would emphasize the fact that SS numbers should never be used as an identifier because that’s the law of the land. That’s the way it was started and it’s still in the code. But you know it’s universal….it’s going to be tied to our national ID card which is our drivers license.

And the media regains consciousness here:

So it….it takes people ah…like the Brownsto stand up and bring this to attention but you know it’s risky business because government is so omnipotent.

"Like the browns." Because the browns didnt sound so bad when the interviewer told ron paul about them.

And so what starts out as a harmless defense of tax protesters such as irwin schiff and other folks who "talk about it" in a "peaceful manner" becomes "Paul promotes shooting officers, compares violent militia of crazy Brown couple to Martin Luther King and Ghandi."

It's really not difficult, fudge a fact here, leave out a sentence there, ignore context over there, and you've got something like this trashy attack piece. :wink:

This has been todays lesson in deconstructing media spin.

Thank you and have a nice day. 8)

surf
07-14-2007, 07:08 PM
bump.
someone (or many) in Nashua, or nearby, needs to go to bat for Dr. Paul in the form of letters to the editor of this paper, particularly if this "editorial" made it into print.
posting on their message board does not carry as much impact as a response in print. people that read editorials read LTEs.
my advice from the other side of the country

ThePieSwindler
07-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Haha i love that "braveheart" idiot. "Hes a total looney. Not getting my vote!" What an idiot. Enjoy your big government, you get what you deserve.