PDA

View Full Version : Politico: Gilmore out

Johnnybags
07-14-2007, 01:53 PM
One less talking head at the debates, maybe Ron can get closer to middle now. I hope one or two more drop soon. Let the games begin.

JoshLowry
07-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Please post a link to a reputable source.

Wyurm
07-14-2007, 01:57 PM
One less talking head at the debates, maybe Ron can get closer to middle now. I hope one or two more drop soon. Let the games begin.

who? (Yes I know who Jim Gilmore is, but its not like he was ever much of a threat.)

rockfree33
07-14-2007, 01:59 PM
http://www.gilmoreforpresident.com/

His website does not mention this. Although I do think it's good if true to give Ron Paul for talking time in the debates.

Bryan
07-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Google news has nothing- neither does his campaign website.

A link would be good...

Johnnybags
07-14-2007, 02:00 PM
http://www.politico.com/

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail
07-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Gilmore drops out of the race
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0707/4949.html

Former Virginia Gov. James S. Gilmore III is dropping his underdog bid for the Republican presidential nomination today, his top strategist, Dick Leggitt, told Politico.

Gilmore had offered himself as "the Reagan conservative" in a field that has left many Republican activists dissatisfied. He is the first GOP candidate to leave the race.

Other candidates commanded much more cash and attention, keeping Gilmore a distant also-ran. Financial reports due tomorrow showed he had little hope of cracking the top tier.

In his successful race for a four-year term for Virginia governor in 1997, he showed the popular appeal of fiscal conservativism with his "no car tax" pledge to reduce the commonwealth's personal property tax.

While in office, he served briefly as chairman of the Republican National Committee.

Gilmore is a lawyer who has made counterterrorism his specialty since leaving office. The son of a butcher, he rose as an outsider in the clubby world of Richmond law, becoming state attorney general.

JoshLowry
07-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks! In the future please include the source in your original post. :)

One down, eight to go...

j650
07-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Excellent. I figured he'd be one of the first ones out. This will be good to give Dr. Paul more time at debates unless Fred Thompson enters the race, then the debates will be focused around 4 candidates and Dr. Paul might get even less time.

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-14-2007, 02:04 PM
C'mere little Gilmore supporters. Closer. Yes, both of you. We've got you a brand new up-swinging candidate.

LibertyEagle
07-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Yeah, but I hope some of 'em stay in for awhile to split the vote amongst the war mongers a little more.

LibertyEagle
07-14-2007, 02:05 PM
C'mere little Gilmore supporters. Closer. Yes, both of you. We've got you a brand new up-swinging candidate.

You are hilarious! :D

austin356
07-14-2007, 02:06 PM
One down ten to go!

DavyDuke17
07-14-2007, 02:09 PM
When do official fund raising figures come out? I thought that was today, I wanted to see how many donors we had compared to other candidates.

angelatc
07-14-2007, 02:12 PM
HOw sad for his supporters that he didn't announce it on his site, or in emails, to them. Right now the Gilmore supporters are scrambling around, trying to determine if this is real or not.

Johnnybags
07-14-2007, 02:13 PM
but the MS media pretend Paul was the least respectable candidate who did not belong, Brownback,Thompson next, Tancredo and Hunter and Huckabee, then McCain, leaves Paul, Ghouliani,Mitt and possibly Fred Flintstone. Now thats a debate worth watching.

FreedomLover
07-14-2007, 02:13 PM
That gives Ron Paul about 45 more seconds to talk during debates.

And the camera doesnt have to pan out as much.

Im assuming they dropped out considering they're 2nd quarter earnings probably barely broke half a mil, if that.

Devil_rules_in_extremes
07-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Gilmore dropping out now doesn't surprise me...

I hope his supporters find some light in Ron Paul, and start supporting him.

Dary
07-14-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm going to send a comment to him at his blog at

http://www.gilmoreforpresident.com/blog/?p=89#respond

let him know that I'm a Paul supporter, and wish him well.

ThePieSwindler
07-14-2007, 03:44 PM
He actually was one of the only Republican candidates that was against the Patriot act, other than Paul, i think. (didnt vote cuse he was a governor) He seemed like a decent enough guy.

BuddyRey
07-14-2007, 03:46 PM
I'll betcha a nickel John McCain is next!!!

Craig_R
07-14-2007, 03:50 PM

http://www.gilmoreforpresident.com/view.php?mode=news&id=189

ronpaulitician
07-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Comment left :)

cujothekitten
07-14-2007, 03:57 PM
I'm going to send a comment to him at his blog at

http://www.gilmoreforpresident.com/blog/?p=89#respond

let him know that I'm a Paul supporter, and wish him well.

I did the same thing:

Jim Gilmore I’m sad to see you go. I think you had some wonderful ideas and really brought something to the field of candidates. Though I wasn’t a supporter of yours I always looked forward to hearing what you had to say. I would most certainly vote for you above Rudy, Mitt, and Thompson. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors and I know you’ll always bring something to the table.

Thank you,
Jen

yongrel
07-14-2007, 05:50 PM
I say Brownback is next, followed by Tancredo and T. Thompson.

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-14-2007, 06:42 PM
I'll betcha a nickel John McCain is next!!!

Brownback said he raised 1.5 million, so if he's not spending like McCain, he may be okay for a while. The rest of these guys probably have minimalist campaigns, though T Thompson seems to be putting everything he's got into Iowa. I say he drops after the straw poll.

If you put McCain's debt against the 2 million he says he has in the bank (less the portion which can't be spent until the general), I bet he's in the hole. He's gotta be going next. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Dary
07-14-2007, 06:50 PM
Mr. Gilmore –

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve decided to leave the race.

Though I’m a Ron Paul supporter, I certainly trusted you more than the other so-called top tier candidates.

Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

It says that the comment is waiting moderation...

batman00
07-14-2007, 07:04 PM
I say Tommy Thompson, Duncan Hunter, and Tom Tancredo will be the next out in that subsequent order.

walt
07-14-2007, 07:05 PM
I love the picture of thompson on that page.

Joe Knows
07-14-2007, 08:08 PM
I did the same thing:

Jim Gilmore I’m sad to see you go. I think you had some wonderful ideas and really brought something to the field of candidates. Though I wasn’t a supporter of yours I always looked forward to hearing what you had to say. I would most certainly vote for you above Rudy, Mitt, and Thompson. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors and I know you’ll always bring something to the table.

Thank you,
Jen

I left my comment.

Good luck on your future endeavors. The country needs good conservative governors. I enjoyed listening to you during the debates, (what little time they gave you). You seemed to be a great person on the right side of most issues. I am going to support Ron Paul for President because he hasn’t changed his positions the way the other candidates have in the past. When I listen to him talk, I find myself agreeing with what he says about the Constitution. I find myself becoming more motivated to help his campaign every time I hear him speak. And I think most importantly, I trust him. Please consider endorsing him in his campaign for President and continuing your campaign to make America a better place. Thanks again for your sacrifice to shape debate in America.

Joe Knows
07-14-2007, 08:11 PM

Brownback will be in it until at least January. Since Kansas is close to Iowa he will be in at least until the caucus.

Nathan Hale
07-14-2007, 09:36 PM
I knew Gilmore was going to drop, though I thought he'd use his eye surgery as an excuse. As for Tancredo, he'll stay in for the long haul just to boost his reputation. Perhaps he has his eye on a Senate seat or a Governorship. Thompson, however, has already announced that Ames will be his Little Bighorn. If he doesn't perform well at Ames, he's going to drop out. So, basically, he's out.

Of the remainder, expect Duncan Hunter to drop in the Fall, and McCain may leave as well if the reinvention he's planning doesn't go well - I'd imagine we'll know where McCain stands by September. If he's in the second tier or worse, he'll drop.

MozoVote
07-14-2007, 09:40 PM
Thompson cannot survive a poor showing in Ames considering how long he has been stumping in Iowa. It would just prove that people are not interested.

quickmike
07-14-2007, 09:45 PM
That gives Ron Paul about 45 more seconds to talk during debates.

And the camera doesnt have to pan out as much.

Im assuming they dropped out considering they're 2nd quarter earnings probably barely broke half a mil, if that.

Yeah, it wont have to pan as much at least until Fred Thompsons big fat head gets involved.
:D

billv
07-14-2007, 09:57 PM
I wish Tancredo would get out. I used to like him until he suggested nuking Mecca as a deterrent to Islamic terrorism. To me nuking Mecca is the same kind of act but is more heinous than flying planes into towers because hundreds of thousands of innocents could be killed. I will not vote for someone who wants us to become like the terrorists.

Bradley in DC
07-14-2007, 10:04 PM
I wish Tancredo would get out. I used to like him until he suggested nuking Mecca as a deterrent to Islamic terrorism. To me nuking Mecca is the same kind of act but is more heinous than flying planes into towers because hundreds of thousands of innocents could be killed. I will not vote for someone who wants us to become like the terrorists.

He's going to have to get out soon in order to run for re-election to Congress. I don't know when Colorado's filing deadline is, but if he doesn't formalize it soon, he could risk getting primary challengers for his House seat. Anyone in Colorado know when that is?

Nathan Hale
07-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Thompson cannot survive a poor showing in Ames considering how long he has been stumping in Iowa. It would just prove that people are not interested.

And Thompson has openly stated this, I heard it on NPR. From the horse's mouth, he's out if he does poorly at Ames.

Nathan Hale
07-16-2007, 05:04 PM
He's going to have to get out soon in order to run for re-election to Congress. I don't know when Colorado's filing deadline is, but if he doesn't formalize it soon, he could risk getting primary challengers for his House seat. Anyone in Colorado know when that is?

A lot of candidates are filing for their current seats in addition to running for president. It's allowed, so Tancredo can stay in. If anybody knows a way to get him to drop, we'd love to hear it because as of right now I think Tancredo is taking the most votes from Paul's voter pool.

Bradley in DC
07-16-2007, 05:17 PM
As for Tancredo, he'll stay in for the long haul just to boost his reputation. Perhaps he has his eye on a Senate seat or a Governorship. Thompson, however, has already announced that Ames will be his Little Bighorn. If he doesn't perform well at Ames, he's going to drop out. So, basically, he's out.

Of the remainder, expect Duncan Hunter to drop in the Fall, and McCain may leave as well if the reinvention he's planning doesn't go well - I'd imagine we'll know where McCain stands by September. If he's in the second tier or worse, he'll drop.

Tancredo is running for re-election to Congress and is using the national campaign to push his pet issue. Tommy is out after Ames, possibly Huckabee if we beat him and he comes in 4th or worse, Hunter's out after NH or possibly California (try to win his three CD delegates and help his son keep his seat), Brownback is out after the Iowa caucus.

Bradley in DC
07-16-2007, 05:19 PM
A lot of candidates are filing for their current seats in addition to running for president. It's allowed, so Tancredo can stay in. If anybody knows a way to get him to drop, we'd love to hear it because as of right now I think Tancredo is taking the most votes from Paul's voter pool.

No, Dr. Paul is running for both under Texas' LBJ law, but that is the exception. Tancredo will have to choose and already told a 4th of July event back in his district "when I'm back in Congress next time..." or something to that effect.

Nathan Hale
07-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Tancredo is running for re-election to Congress and is using the national campaign to push his pet issue.

Yes, but you can both run for your Congressional seat AND run for President. Ron Paul also plans to file for his Congressional seat. Most of the sitting elected officials running for President who aren't term limited are re-filing for their seat. When you're running for Congress, you don't really have to do much of anything until April or May during the year of the race - that's long after the Presidential primary ends.

Tommy is out after Ames, possibly Huckabee if we beat him and he comes in 4th or worse, Hunter's out after NH or possibly California (try to win his three CD delegates and help his son keep his seat), Brownback is out after the Iowa caucus.

I agree about Tommy and Huckabee, I've said it before that they'll both drop after Ames. Though, Huckabee actually has a chance of coming in 4th if McCain really is washed up and if Paul doesn't rally enough. As for Hunter, he might drop as well after Ames. Brownback....well, my crystal ball isn't telling me anything about Brownback.

Bradley in DC
07-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Yes, but you can both run for your Congressional seat AND run for President. Ron Paul also plans to file for his Congressional seat. Most of the sitting elected officials running for President who aren't term limited are re-filing for their seat. When you're running for Congress, you don't really have to do much of anything until April or May during the year of the race - that's long after the Presidential primary ends.

Nathan, please show me the Colorado state law permitting Tancredo to run simultaneously for both Congress AND the Presidency. Texas is the exception and created it so LBJ could run for re-election to the Senate and the vice presidency with Kennedy. I'd be prepared to wager with you that Colorado does not have a similar law, and I'm not a bettin' man!

What other "sitting elected officials running for president who aren't term limited" re-filing for their seat AND for president? Answer: not one except Dr. Paul. Remember former Sen. Edwards? Really, whatever you're thinking you need to check your facts before you get into debates. I'll email you the word doc I got from the Colorado Secretary of State office on the qualifications to run for Congress if you like (I asked about the filing deadlines so I know when Tancredo has to drop out to run ONLY for Congress). PM me your email address.

Edit: while not very knowledgable on Colorado state election law, I think Tancredo will have to drop out the third week of November (75 days before primary).

Bradley in DC
07-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Yes, but you can both run for your Congressional seat AND run for President. Ron Paul also plans to file for his Congressional seat. Most of the sitting elected officials running for President who aren't term limited are re-filing for their seat.

Nathan, not trying to be mean, but you are just plain wrong on this factually, it's not a matter of opinion. Below is an email from the Colorado official responsible for this. I can send the attachment to you if you like:

Mr. Jansen,

Attached is a candidate packet outlining the filing requirements for U.S. Congress. In order for a candidate to be eligible for this office, they must meet the qualifications for office as well as the filing deadlines. I would also suggest contacting the state political party to ensure that qualifications outlined in the party bylaws are met.

Colorado law does not allow a person to be a candidate for more than one office at a time. I have inserted the statute text below for your review.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thank you,

Kathryn Mikeworth
Colorado Secretary of State
Elections Division
1700 Broadway, Suite 270
Denver, CO 80290
Phone: 303-894-2200 ext. 6312

1-4-501. Only eligible electors eligible for office.

Statute text

(1) No person except an eligible elector who is at least eighteen years of age, unless another age is required by law, is eligible to hold any office in this state. No person is eligible to be a designee or candidate for office unless that person fully meets the qualifications of that office as stated in the constitution and statutes of this state on or before the date the term of that office begins. The designated election official shall not certify the name of any designee or candidate who fails to swear or affirm under oath that he or she will fully meet the qualifications of the office if elected and who is unable to provide proof that he or she meets any requirements of the office relating to registration, residence, or property ownership. The information found on the person's voter registration record is admissible as prima facie evidence of compliance with this section.

(2) No person is eligible to be a candidate for more than one office at one time; except that this subsection (2) does not apply to memberships on different special district boards. This subsection (2) shall not prohibit a candidate or elected official of any political subdivision from being a candidate or member of the board of directors of any special district or districts in which he or she is an eligible elector, unless otherwise prohibited by law.

(3) The qualification of any candidate may be challenged by an eligible elector of the political subdivision within five days after the designated election official's statement is issued that certifies the candidate to the ballot. The challenge shall be made by verified petition setting forth the facts alleged concerning the qualification of the candidate and shall be filed in the district court in the county in which the political subdivision is located. The hearing on the qualification of the candidate shall be held in not less than five nor more than ten days after the date the election official's statement is issued that certifies the candidate to the ballot. The court shall hear the testimony and other evidence and, within forty-eight hours after the close of the hearing, determine whether the candidate meets the qualifications for the office for which the candidate has declared. Provisions of section 13-17-101, C.R.S., regarding frivolous, groundless, or vexatious actions shall apply to this section.

mtmedlin
07-17-2007, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=Bradley in DC;71994]Nathan, please show me the Colorado state law permitting Tancredo to run simultaneously for both Congress AND the Presidency. Texas is the exception and created it so LBJ could run for re-election to the Senate and the vice presidency with Kennedy. I'd be prepared to wager with you that Colorado does not have a similar law, and I'm not a bettin' man!
QUOTE]

Me thinks I remember a prominent Jewish fellow who was a VP candidate and got re-elected in his seat. Me thinks it was fairly recent too.

randomname
07-29-2015, 04:12 PM
He's back in for 2016. As nr. 17, likely the last "serious" candidate to enter the GOP field.

Dianne
07-29-2015, 08:31 PM
I'm embarrassed to say, I didn't even know he was in the race. Maybe I listen to FAUX News too much, but never recall them mentioning his name.