PDA

View Full Version : do you have a good caucus speech for me ?

jeremycobert
01-02-2008, 09:49 AM
hey people i need one last bit of help.
tonight i will be calling all the RP supporters in my precinct (iowa CR-26) and reminding them that we need to come out and vote, but i need some help in coming up with a speech for the caucus . at the event most candidates are given a minute or two to allow a campaign representative to give a speech and hopefully sway some of the attendees.

so if you have something i can say for a minute or two, please share it. otherwise i will have to come up with it, and this is not my strong suit. if you do have something that you think can sway the undecideds please share it.

tiznow
01-02-2008, 09:52 AM
tonight i will be calling all the RP supporters in my precinct (iowa CR-26) and reminding them that we need to come out and vote, but i need some help in coming up with a speech for the caucus . at the event most candidates are given a minute or two to allow a campaign representative to give a speech and hopefully sway some of the attendees.

so if you have something i can say for a minute or two, please share it. otherwise i will have to come up with it, and this is not my strong suit. if you do have something that you think can sway the undecideds please share it.

campaign has a sample speech

http://people.ronpaul2008.com/iowa/2007/10/31/weekly-thrusday-conference-call/

micahnelson
01-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Many candidates are going to promise you all sorts of things today- larger military, bigger subsidies, government health care. I don't know how they are going to pay for it, I guess Romney could just write a check and Huckabee could pray about it. Don't fall for it, making promises is the first step to breaking them, and friends even if they kept these promises, they would break the bank.

Ron Paul is promising you the truth, plain and ugly. The truth is, we can't afford big government spending. The only thing we can afford is freedom. Freedom to choose how to spend your own money, how to educate your children, and how you want to prepare for retirement. So the choice is this, business as usual- or a new look at an old idea. That the government that governs best, governs least.

And for those of you who think Ron Paul may be too conservative to win in America, remember this. Ronald Reagan won in two landslides, but never hid from his conservatism. You don't have to choose between the lesser of two evils this time around, a true small government conservative is on the ballot. It's not time to hold our nose for the guy you think can beat the democrat. People want change in this election, and Ron Paul will provide that change.

Kade
01-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Many candidates are going to promise you all sorts of things today- larger military, bigger subsidies, government health care. I don't know how they are going to pay for it, I guess Romney could just write a check and Huckabee could pray about it. Don't fall for it, making promises is the first step to breaking them, and friends even if they kept these promises, they would break the bank.

Ron Paul is promising you the truth, plain and ugly. The truth is, we can't afford big government spending. The only thing we can afford is freedom. Freedom to choose how to spend your own money, how to educate your children, and how you want to prepare for retirement. So the choice is this, business as usual- or a new look at an old idea. That the government that governs best, governs least.

And for those of you who think Ron Paul may be too conservative to win in America, remember this. Ronald Reagan won in two landslides, but never hid from his conservatism. You don't have to choose between the lesser of two evils this time around, a true small government conservative is on the ballot. It's not time to hold our nose for the guy you think can beat the democrat. People want change in this election, and Ron Paul will provide that change.

Reagan Democrats had nothing to do with it... and the shift of racial divides, middle class tensions towards Democrats alienation and a unbelievably weak and pathetic Motoring Mondale and Jimmy Carter malaise, Reagan's strong leadership of a Democrat controlled congress...

With all the new stuff I've learned on these forums, I'm going to demand a refund from my school. What a waste.

jonahtrainer
01-02-2008, 11:23 AM
campaign has a sample speech

This speech looks good. I would also bring a chart of the US$ in terms of gold since 2000. Bring up that gold was up $25/ounce yesterday (today). Tell them Gold is Money and required as legal tender currency by the US Constitution in Art 1 Section 10. As a nation we have strayed from the Constitution. Then I would proceed with language like this:

"The US$ is completely based on confidence, is in the process of collapsing (point to the chart) and will become worth absolutely nothing like all other fiat currencies in history. A lot will be up for grabs all at once. When faced with this problem Weimar Germany, and currently Zimbabwe, chose preemptive war, restrictions on civil liberties and eventually a military dictatorship. When the Continental collapsed the Founding Fathers chose non-intervention, freedom and a republic. With the Iraq War and Patriot Act we are following the path Germany took. Ron Paul is the only candidate from either party who represents the US Constitution and path our Founding Fathers took. The US$ is collapsing and will completely collapse. We are simply faced with the question: Repression or Regeneration? Ron Paul represents Regeneration and that is why we should vote for him."

acroso
01-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Stress honestly, consistency, and intergrity...all of which Paul is strong in.

werdd
01-02-2008, 11:28 AM
I support Congressman Ron Paul for President because he gives me hope for America’s future. He promotes maximum individual freedom and limited federal government – exactly what the founders envisioned in our constitution.

Ron Paul is a Christian. He’s a veteran. He’s a pro-life doctor who has himself delivered over 4,000 babies. In 10 terms as a U.S. Congressman, he’s never voted for a tax increase or an unbalanced budget. He’ll secure our borders and end the government giveaways that encourage people to come here illegally in the first place.

Our national debt is now over $9 trillion and as our government keeps borrowing and printing more money, the value of our dollars keeps going down, making everything more expensive. Dr. Paul will save us trillions of dollars by bringing our troops home to keep America safe. We won the war. He’s the only one who’s committed to keeping our priceless troops out of nation-building and policing actions that we can’t even afford. Everyone likes to say “I support the troops”. But who do the troops support? According to the government, the most donations from members of the armed forces are going to…Ron Paul – and by a huge margin.

Sometimes people come in to the Caucus and they think “well, I like so-and-so but he can’t win so I’m voting for one of the front-runners”. But this isn’t a horse race. There’s no prize for you if you vote for the one who ends up winning tonight. In fact, our first-in-the-nation role here in Iowa isn’t to select the ultimate winner. Our role is to narrow the field, and tell the rest of the nation who we think they should be paying attention to. After tonight I’m sure there will be attention paid to the front-runners. We have a unique opportunity here tonight to tell the rest of America that Ron Paul’s message of simply following the constitution and limiting federal government is something they should give a listen to. Please join me in voting for Ron Paul.

skinzterpswizfan
01-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Whatever you say, be sure to follow this advice from the campaign website:

We recommend you make eye contact and speak from the heart and from memory rather than simply reading, if possible.

It could go a long way to swaying any undecideds in the room.

Just Come Home
01-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Fore score and seven years ago, our Republic was ripped away from us, and replaced with a government that is disconnected from the people that it is charged to serve. Strong central government replaced the distributed governmental infrastructure that empowered the states, and ultimately the people. The results have been disasterous.

Tomorrow, we take the first steps towards turning it all around!

UtahApocalypse
01-02-2008, 11:48 AM
I support Congressman Ron Paul for President because he gives me hope for America’s future. He promotes maximum individual freedom and limited federal government – exactly what the founders envisioned in our constitution.

Ron Paul is a Christian. He’s a veteran. He’s a pro-life doctor who has himself delivered over 4,000 babies. In 10 terms as a U.S. Congressman, he’s never voted for a tax increase or an unbalanced budget. He’ll secure our borders and end the government giveaways that encourage people to come here illegally in the first place.

Our national debt is now over $9 trillion and as our government keeps borrowing and printing more money, the value of our dollars keeps going down, making everything more expensive. Dr. Paul will save us trillions of dollars by bringing our troops home to keep America safe. We won the war. He’s the only one who’s committed to keeping our priceless troops out of nation-building and policing actions that we can’t even afford. Everyone likes to say “I support the troops”. But who do the troops support? According to the government, the most donations from members of the armed forces are going to…Ron Paul – and by a huge margin.

Sometimes people come in to the Caucus and they think “well, I like so-and-so but he can’t win so I’m voting for one of the front-runners”. But this isn’t a horse race. There’s no prize for you if you vote for the one who ends up winning tonight. In fact, our first-in-the-nation role here in Iowa isn’t to select the ultimate winner. Our role is to narrow the field, and tell the rest of the nation who we think they should be paying attention to. After tonight I’m sure there will be attention paid to the front-runners. We have a unique opportunity here tonight to tell the rest of America that Ron Paul’s message of simply following the constitution and limiting federal government is something they should give a listen to. Please join me in voting for Ron Paul.

+1 Amazing, Amazing

alexpasch
01-02-2008, 11:52 AM
All are good...I'm partial to werdd's though

jeremycobert
01-02-2008, 12:10 PM
im not going to read verbatim, in fact i would just like to go off the paper by taking the best bits from all of you, and put something together.
i hear that you lose most people after 30 seconds of speech, so i really need to find the strongest points.

i'm a fairly good public speaker i just need some talking points to get undecideds to vote our way.

acroso
01-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Has Ron Paul missed a vote since the campaign started? My impression is he isn't campaigning in Iowa because he takes his job seriously.

Psyclone
01-02-2008, 05:33 PM
I've been working on my speech, too, and I think I'm going to stress the limited government aspects of Dr. Paul's message. I plan to stress that after the Bush years, what the Republicans need more than anything is someone who can return them to their small government roots, and Dr. Paul is the only candidate that is serious about doing that.

jeremycobert
01-02-2008, 08:04 PM
I've been working on my speech, too, and I think I'm going to stress the limited government aspects of Dr. Paul's message. I plan to stress that after the Bush years, what the Republicans need more than anything is someone who can return them to their small government roots, and Dr. Paul is the only candidate that is serious about doing that.

i was thinking about focusing on the troops and who they want. i like your approach as well.... man i'm worried about striking the right cord :confused:

alexpasch
01-02-2008, 08:40 PM
i was thinking about focusing on the troops and who they want. i like your approach as well.... man i'm worried about striking the right cord :confused:

I think you guys have a pretty good idea what to say and will do a great job.

Just make sure to present the message well. I don't know what the typical attire is for these things, but I feel that if you dressed well that it would make a good impression (given that we have that stereotype of being kooky, loony supporters).

Thomas Paine
01-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Here is your speech for tomorrow night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b56e0u0EgQ

OptionsTrader
01-02-2008, 08:47 PM

The campaign has one that you can use or tweak:

SAMPLE: CAUCUS-NIGHT SPEECH FOR RON PAUL
Thursday, January 3rd 7:00 P.M.

[You can modify this to fit your style to make it your own. Remember your target audience is undecided voters and people who are interested in Ron Paul but are tempted to vote for a “front-runner”. How long you can speak is at the discretion of the Caucus Chair running your precinct. One minute or at most two is sufficient. We recommend you make eye contact and speak from the heart and from memory rather than simply reading, if possible.]

DirectDemocracy
01-02-2008, 08:55 PM

I saw a video of good speeches people gave before a straw poll-if you want me find it-PM me.

AFM
01-02-2008, 08:56 PM
just say
THIS
IS
SPARTA

thomj76
01-02-2008, 09:03 PM
You know personally the reasons you are attracted to the Positions of Personal Liberty, Limited Government and the Mandates of the US Constitution.

*spoken like Kirk,

"Tell, us now, these reasons, so that We, the People may contribute in your noble and virtuous endeavor to re-kindle the fire of liberty that dwells inside each and every American!"

Sey.Naci
01-02-2008, 09:07 PM
This woman has always cringed at the absurdity of this phrasing:

has delivered over 4,000 babiesInstead say "has helped deliver over 4,000 babies."

Believe me, other women have taken exception to this too (I've come across comments about it) because, after all, the mother did most of the work!

beobeli
01-02-2008, 09:19 PM

They promise you what they think you want to hear. But they have not lived any of those promises and rest assured that those promises will all go down the drain if you elect them. Ron Paul is different, he lives what he talks, and he talks what hi lives. And you can take that to the bank.

piotr1
01-02-2008, 09:20 PM
you could edit this speech alittle..... 8)

Wallace: Sons of Scotland, I am William Wallace.

Young soldier: William Wallace is 7 feet tall.

Wallace: Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds, and if he were here he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse. I am William Wallace. And I see a whole army of my countrymen here in defiance of tyranny. You have come to fight as free men, and free men you are. What would you do without freedom? Will you fight?

Veteran soldier: Fight? Against that? No, we will run; and we will live.

Wallace: Aye, fight and you may die. Run and you'll live -- at least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom!!!

derekjohnson
01-02-2008, 10:36 PM

The last paragraph is huge...put it on the people of Iowa to shape the election..take it away from the MSM and give it back to the people...tell America that Ron Paul is the right candidate, not the MSM elites.

derekjohnson
01-02-2008, 10:38 PM

if you bring up the troops, bring up the article regarding police support today...maybe something to the effect of if we put trust in our military and police to protect us, maybe we should put trust in the candidate that they trust to protect the constitution.

acptulsa
01-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks for being there. Please remember your audience. Try this on for size:
Many of us were fans of Ronald Reagan. He actually, in some instances, reduced his own power while he was in office. For example, he eliminated the Interstate Commerce Commission. Unfortunately, we haven't had a president since actually willing to reduce his own power.
Remember that awful 55 mph speed limit? You may have thought that was shoved down our throats by the population centers back east, where the towns are about twelve miles apart. And you're right, but it was never a federal law. Our Constitution would consider such a federal law to be a restriction on interstate trade, and prohibits that. So why were we having to drive so slowly across our great plains that we were falling asleep at the wheel? Because of the Interstate Highway system.
A federal gasoline tax was passed to address the temporary problem of getting the original Interstate mileage built. Once the temporary problem was over, it should have been repealed. It still hasn't been, because as we all know, the federal government hates to give up power. And, in the Seventies, the federal government decided to withhold federal highway funds from states that refused to bow to the "double nickel"--even that money that we put into the kitty.
So it goes. The fed taxes, takes its cut, and redistributes the money according to its own agenda. Yet most of us know--especially those who have fought for conservative causes--that the real action comes on the state level. The states are more efficient, more responsive, and a lot less ignorant of local needs than the federal government is.
Reagan's not around. Voting for him would do no good. But there is one candidate in the race who has proven by his whole political life that, if elected president, he's not afraid to reduce his own power instead of trying to grab more. One candidate believes that government is not the solution. That candidate definitely isn't Clinton. Nor is it Giuliani. That candidate is Ron Paul.
Thank you.

Psyclone
01-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Given that the people we are trying to reach in the caucuses are Republicans (else they wouldn't be going to the caucus) but undecided (because we might be able to convince them to vote for Ron Paul, I decided to tailor the speech I'm going to give at the caucuses to that group:

"I grew up in a Republican household. Both my mother and father were and are registered Republicans, and what they told me growing up was that Republicans were the good guys, because unlike the Democrats, they understood the idea of America and why people chose to immigrate here. The Republicans understood that America was the nation of limited government and that people came here because they could keep what they earned and live their lives however they wanted. Republicans understood that America was the land of the free where citizens were supposed to be treated as adults capable of making their own decisions.

What I've seen since I've been an adult, however, is a very different Republican party. This is a party that hasn't kept the government small, that is daily intruding into my life, and is running up debts that all of us will spend the rest of our lives paying off. I, and a lot of other people turned away from the Republicans because they appear to have forgotten that American is the land of limited government, the land where the highest goal government can achieve is to guarantee its peoples' freedom.

Tonight we have a rare opportunity to reclaim the mantle of freedom for the Republican party because for the first time in more than 40 years we have a candidate running who is honestly, truly committed to making freedom the highest priority of our government. The man I am speaking about is Dr. Ron Paul.

In our volunteer group for Dr. Paul we have a doctor who immigrated to Iowa from India and just received his citizenship in October. He was extremely excited about the opportunity to participate in the Iowa caucuses because it was his first election as an American. So, he carefully researched all the candidates in both parties, and after studying them carefully, he said the only one who really understood what America was all about was Ron Paul. It was only Ron Paul who understood that America is supposed to have a limited government, that it is supposed to collect taxes only for the limited purpose of funding those few activities that we the citizens have given the government to do, that it is supposed to allow its citizens to live their lives as they see fit, that the government's chief purpose is to keep us free.

Republicans have a bad reputation right now precisely because they have become the party of intrusive and expensive government. This election tonight is a rare opportunity that most people in other parts of the country never have, to restore the Republican party as the party of limited government, low taxes, no deficits, and freedom, and that is why so many of us are so deeply committed to Dr. Paul and are voting for him tonight."

risiusj
01-03-2008, 11:37 AM
I plan on adding to the campaign's speech that Ron Paul is the only Republican that can win in the general election since 70% of the American people are against the war in Iraq and want us out.

Danny
01-03-2008, 11:46 AM
I would focus on the "small government" angle. Be sure to point out that under six years of a Republican controlled House, Senate, and Presidency government doubled in size. Ask if they would honestly expect anyone other than Ron Paul to be any different. Say that it's time that we remind these guys that the GOP is the party of SMALL government.

acptulsa
01-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Outstanding! Also, Democrats and independents concerned with the preservation of the Constitution may not trust another mainstream Republican, but can be convinced to trust Dr. Paul, quite possibly more than Clinton.

BIG_J
01-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Wow; great! I think you should use that!

Son of Freedom
01-03-2008, 11:57 AM

This part is especially powerful imo.

jeremycobert
01-03-2008, 12:16 PM
I would like to say a few words on behalf of Dr. Ron Paul.

Ron Paul is a Christian. He’s a veteran. He’s a pro-life doctor who has delivered over 4,000 babies. In 10 terms as a U.S. Congressman, he’s never voted for a tax increase or an unbalanced budget or anything Unconstitutional. He has actively worked to eliminate the I.R.S. and put an end the personal income tax.

Our national debt is now over $9 trillion and as our government keeps borrowing and printing more money, the value of our dollar keeps going down, making everything more expensive. Dr. Paul will save us trillions of dollars by bringing our troops stationed all over the world, home to defend our southern border.

Everyone likes to say “I support the troops”. But who do the troops support? According to our government, Ron Paul Receives the most donations from active members of the armed forces and by a huge margin, nearly 50%.

Sometimes people come in to the Caucus and they think “I’m going to vote for this guy because I don’t want that guy to win”. But this isn’t a horse race. There’s no prize for you if we vote for the one who ends up winning tonight. In fact, our first-in-the-nation role here in Iowa isn’t to select the ultimate winner. Our role is to narrow the field, and tell the rest of the nation what Values we think they should be paying attention to.

We have a unique opportunity here tonight to tell the rest of America that we no longer want Big-government Republicans; instead we want to return to the era of true conservative values like Barry Goldwater, Ronald Reagan and Ron Paul.
Some people think Ron Paul may be too conservative to win in America, remember this. Ronald Reagan won in two landslides, but never hid from his conservatism.
Please join me in honoring our Troops wishes and voting for Dr. Ron Paul.

dvictr
01-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Whatever you say, be sure to follow this advice from the campaign website:

We recommend you make eye contact and speak from the heart and from memory rather than simply reading, if possible.

It could go a long way to swaying any undecideds in the room.

BUMP!

tcmaroc
01-03-2008, 12:19 PM
emphasize on the cost of war, gaz prices, and the devaluation of the dollar

acptulsa
01-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Sweet. The only thing I think could really sweeten it up from here is:
The Constitution is our greatest inheritance, and the greatest legacy we can leave our children and grandchildren. We need someone we can really trust to preserve, protect and defend it.

roversaurus
01-03-2008, 12:25 PM
"One of the only things you might have heard about Ron Paul is that he
raised more money than all the other candidates. But there is one extra tidbit
about that money that you might not have heard. Of ALL the candidates Republican
and Democrat - he raised the least from lobbiests - The last I checked
the amount he had raised from lobbiests was zero."

If you can bring a chart to show this all the better.

jeremycobert
01-03-2008, 12:30 PM
i only have a minute or two, and my precinct is mostly older conservative middle class people. i think ive touched on all the things that make them happy while staying away from scary things like ssa reform.

i am going to bring some items to pass out, mostly the pro-life slim jims.

Greg in VA
01-03-2008, 12:33 PM
"One of the only things you might have heard about Ron Paul is that he
raised more money than all the other candidates. But there is one extra tidbit
about that money that you might not have heard. Of ALL the candidates Republican
and Democrat - he raised the least from lobbiests - The last I checked
the amount he had raised from lobbiests was zero."

If you can bring a chart to show this all the better.

That is a great point, does HQ have something available as a PDF download, or one of the grassroots organizations?