PDA

View Full Version : Ron on the FERES Doctrine

Thomas_Paine
07-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Feres doctrine

A legal doctrine that prevents people who are injured as a result of military service from successfully suing the federal government under the Federal Tort Claims Act. The doctrine comes from the U.S. Supreme Court case Feres v. United States, in which servicemen who picked up highly radioactive weapons fragments from a crashed airplane were not permitted to recover damages from the government. Also known as the Feres-Stencel doctrine or the Feres rule. f

Does anyone know Ron Paul's stance on this important issue? A veteran friend of mine has asked (he wont support Ron Paul unless he opposes the FERES doctrine)

richard1984
07-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Interesting question. I didn't know about this.

I do know that Dr. Paul vehemently supports veterans, and so I'm sure he would support doing everything he can for injured vets.

I have to wonder about such lawsuits, though. What if families sued the government everytime a loved one died while serving in the military? You know what I mean? It's kind of in the job description: you may be injured or killed. Now, veterans should have all of their medical care paid for, but as far as suing the government for damages...I don't know.

But this is just my initial reaction.

What are the reasons to support the Feres doctrine? (Again, I don't know the details.)

Dan Klaus
07-14-2007, 12:54 PM
http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=403

Check out this article which talks about his stance on the federal governments treatment of veterans...

http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=505

Here's a quote from this article..

What might be most disturbing, however, is the treatment of veterans in the bill. Playing politics with the funding of critical veterans medical and other assistance by adding it onto a controversial bill to attract votes strikes me as highly inappropriate. Veterans’ funding should be included in a properly structured, comprehensive appropriations bill. Better still, veterans spending should be automatically funded and not subject to yearly politicking and nit-picking.

Specifically relating the FERES Doctrine - can't find anything...good luck with your friend..hope he votes for RP..

Wyurm
07-14-2007, 01:01 PM
That would be a good question to ask next time he's on a radio show that accepts call-ins. If I get on one, I'll ask it

Thomas_Paine
07-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks for your help, my guess would be that Ron Paul supports the rights of any individual to petition their government for a redress of grievances.

DisabledVet
07-14-2007, 01:57 PM
All I have to say is Walter Reed hospital.

I am 70% disabled, and have free 100% level a coverage from the VA....and I still choose to have separate private health insurance. Has anyone been to the VA? lol.. go in there for a hang nail and come out with your arm amputated