PDA

View Full Version : For new caucus goers. Some things to watch for - dirty tricks

troyd1
01-02-2008, 06:16 AM
I have never been to a caucus, but another person I know who is caucusing for Ron Paul sent me this informative email.

Most caucuses use Robert's Rules of Order to conduct their meetings. Brush up on them, but attendees are forgiving if you don't use correct terms. Also, a final count of attendees are announced before caucuses begin. Write those numbers down and match them up when final votes come in. Do it quickly, because they move on rather quickly after votes are tallied.

We caught them cheating, attendee total at beginning and attendee total votes did not match. We discovered this after they announced winners (for state positions Sen. & Rep.) and moved on. Those in the know, know how many are needed to get their guy elected. They called people in after the fact to vote for their person, when the vote shouldn't have counted because they weren't counted in the beginning when the process started - it's against the rules, but no one caught it or challenged it.

We did after the fact, when nothing could be done.

If you are a delegate and have to tell about yourself, be general and say things people in the crowd want to hear, you want their vote.
Pro-life, informed voter, anti-illegal immigration etc. You will get sneaky phone calls trying to find out who you support.
Catch who they are calling on behalf of and claim undecided.

itshappening
01-02-2008, 07:06 AM
organized vote fraud is a grave concern

Shink
01-02-2008, 07:09 AM
organized vote fraud is a grave concern

And, tragically, a likelihood.

idiom
01-02-2008, 07:33 AM
It is to be expected when so much power is at stake.

scooter
01-02-2008, 07:56 AM
This caucus system is so stupid. I wish these crappy states could just go to the nice and easy private ballot.

I guess that was too simple.

freelance
01-02-2008, 07:57 AM
If they don't announce a final count of attendees, ask for one.

troyd1
01-02-2008, 12:08 PM
bump

yongrel
01-02-2008, 12:09 PM
oi vey

Ron LOL
01-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Wow. The campaign should send out an e-mail addressing this issue. However, I suspect that Ivers guy is on top of it...he seems quite savvy.

jointhefightforfreedom
01-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Please spread the awareness!!
It will be a 1st place landslide is we do
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=71548

manny
01-02-2008, 12:37 PM
bump!

hillertexas
01-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Don't be distracted by free pizza when it comes to vote counting time.

LynnB
01-02-2008, 01:04 PM
This link was posted on another thread:
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/files/IowaCaucusHandbook.pdf
It gives a rundown on Parliamentary Procedure

troyd1
01-02-2008, 02:13 PM
It is extremely important that people going to the caucuses know what is going on. Don't let the political cronies railroad you. If you have more Ron Paul supporters, you win and there is nothing they can do about it but "dirty tricks". In most cases, it will be friendly, but it may not. In thoses cases be ready. There was a post recently by a perosn from MO I believe, and they said they had to pry the microphone from the chairs hands.

troyd1
01-03-2008, 06:35 AM
bump

Highstreet
01-03-2008, 07:07 AM
I have never been to a caucus, but another person I know who is caucusing for Ron Paul sent me this informative email.

Most caucuses use Robert's Rules of Order to conduct their meetings. Brush up on them, but attendees are forgiving if you don't use correct terms. Also, a final count of attendees are announced before caucuses begin. Write those numbers down and match them up when final votes come in. Do it quickly, because they move on rather quickly after votes are tallied.

We caught them cheating, attendee total at beginning and attendee total votes did not match. We discovered this after they announced winners (for state positions Sen. & Rep.) and moved on. Those in the know, know how many are needed to get their guy elected. They called people in after the fact to vote for their person, when the vote shouldn't have counted because they weren't counted in the beginning when the process started - it's against the rules, but no one caught it or challenged it.

If you are a delegate and have to tell about yourself, be general and say things people in the crowd want to hear, you want their vote.
Pro-life, informed voter, anti-illegal immigration etc. You will get sneaky phone calls trying to find out who you support.
bump

libertarian4321
01-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Yes, the caucus system is idiotic anachronism, and not an accurate representation of support.

Good thing most states don't use it- once we get past Iowa, we will have real votes- far less prone to cheating or misrepresentation.

troyd1
01-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Unfortunately, Minnesota still has the caucus system. I will be going through it for the first time in my 44 years this year.

freelance
01-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Don't be distracted by free pizza when it comes to vote counting time.

This is no joke. Sometimes they have food in a different room WHILE THE VOTING IS IN PROGRESS!!!

Ack
01-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Also don't let someone cut off delegate nominations. Move to prevent this. Also, don't let someone cut off debate on the issue of cutting off delegate nominations. (taken from RP's Iowa Caucus Handbook).

Everyone should print out a copy of http://www.ronpaul2008.com/files/IowaCaucusHandbook.pdf and take it with them to their Caucus for reference!

troyd1
01-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Bump

mosquitobite
01-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Please read this thread on caucuses and SPREAD THIS VIRALLY!! http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=63551

undergroundrr
01-03-2008, 11:25 AM
bump

undergroundrr
01-03-2008, 11:47 AM
bump

undergroundrr
01-03-2008, 01:16 PM
bump

Paulbot_9876
01-03-2008, 01:18 PM
can they vote 2 or 3 times at different precincts????or is everything on computer linked to each precincts????? this is a possibillity they could try.......

free.alive
01-03-2008, 01:48 PM
The caucus system is actually great for grassroots campaign as any member of the sheepletariat can pop an uninformed and dispassionate vote in the mail.

liberty_Forever
01-03-2008, 01:50 PM
bump

hillertexas
01-03-2008, 01:53 PM
bump

JMann
01-03-2008, 01:57 PM
This must be the reason all the 'insider' candidates have to go around and kiss the ass of the longtime caucus folks two years before the vote. They understand that the need to have the right people in place to rig the process.

One reason why Edwards is probably favored is because he has the folk from '04 running his show. I'm sure a lot of Bill's people are dead or not as involved as they where 12 years ago.

pacelli
01-03-2008, 02:00 PM

Also beware of "Free Food" being provided in a different area-- you get free food, they start counting.

troyd1
01-03-2008, 02:36 PM
bump

ronpaulitician
01-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Was it Rush this morning who said that the GOP caucus in Iowa is done differently (people just vote) than the Democratic caucus in Iowa (people discuss their candidates before voting)?

yongrel
01-03-2008, 02:44 PM
DO NOT EAT WHILE CAUCUSING!

An age old trick is to distract supporters of a certain candidate by telling them about free food in the next room.

undergroundrr
01-03-2008, 02:48 PM
bump

manny
01-03-2008, 02:56 PM
DO NOT EAT WHILE CAUCUSING!

An age old trick is to distract supporters of a certain candidate by telling them about free food in the next room.

I'm sure I read that something like this was done to Buchanan supporters in 96.

Regardless - stay on your toes, if anything - any little thing- is unclear or confusing, ask for clarification and don't let offical types push you around.

Good luck to Ron and those guys going to vote tonight in Iowa :)