PDA

View Full Version : #1 thing that bashers will say about Paul

Jeremy
01-01-2008, 09:47 PM
OK, no one is really bashing him too much right now because they don't think he has a chance. However, after Jan 3rd, people will start to bash him, correct?

They will say he is "crazy". This is it. We need to think about or brainstorm things to counter all of these close minded and freedom-hating people.

Saying "the constitution isn't crazy" is OK, but it won't be enough.

(P.S. - they will also likely criticize us, the supporters)

Jimmy
01-01-2008, 09:48 PM
If he does well earily...you can BET YOUR BOTTOM DOLLAR...there going to dream up something

thechitowncubs
01-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Morton Downey Jr.

WilliamC
01-01-2008, 09:51 PM
I really don't see how they can come up with anything new, just rehash the same old crap they've already been throwing out.

My concern is that there will be a manufactured event to smear Ron Paul and the grassroots. The real hits won't come from verbal or media attacks.

RoamZero
01-01-2008, 09:56 PM
The the idea that he's a crazy coot is what they really have insinuating up to now, and he's dropped without much further discussion because poll numbers don't warrant much attention. I think that has been beaten into a lot of the MSM sheep as an easy thing people can bring up in casual conversation that might include Paul. (I'm sure we've all witnessed such conversations - John Edwards, the guy with 400 dollar haircuts? Ron Paul? Isn't he crazy?, Kucinich, the guy who saw the UFO? etc)

However, if Paul does well in Iowa I expect things to shift gears drastically. Insinuating that he's crazy after that (if he does well, meaning that he would get much more attention) would mean they'd have to go in depth on his positions and actually discuss issues. I dont think they'd risk converting more people. Instead it will all be race issues, issues with his newsletter from the 90's, stormfront, etc. Really low stuff, similar to what happened to Buchanan is what the MSM will try to pull. This is what we need to be ready for. I also wouldn't be surprised if the evolution issue is brought up in hard-core Democratic circles.

FreedomLover
01-01-2008, 10:01 PM
I think that insult is borne more out of desperation than of logic. When I ask them to list the ways in which his proposals are "unrealistic" or "nutty" it's usually something emotionally charged (and usually an inaccurate representation of his views) such as:

"we can't back down during a war on terror or else the terrorists win"

"He's an isolationist, the terrorists will have free reign to do whatever they want because the US is the only force that can stop them"

Then you respond with something like:

"If we are to change the way our government functions, forsake the constitution for temporary security, and live in fear because of a very small number of theocratic cave-dwellers, then the terrorists have already won, because the only way they can destroy us from the outside is to force us to destroy ourselves from the inside."

Then you list stuff about monetary policy, the dubious or non-existant goals of the forever war on terror, and ways to fight terrorism that save more lives and more treasure than of pre-emptive strikes and invasions of sovereign nations, such as practicing consitutional government, acting as a moral example for other nations to follow, not getting into complicated foreign entanglements, the just-war theory of christianity, etc

DRV45N05
01-01-2008, 10:20 PM
There will be tons of charges thrown at him. Islamofascist sympthizer will be one. There will be plenty of hitting him on his stances on drugs, prostitution, and gay marriage to scare the religious right. They'll be hitting him on earmarks tons. There will be charges of "unelectable," "too extreme," etc.. And you can bet your bottom dollar that the newsletter writings and "racist" charges will come up.

Mark37snj
01-01-2008, 10:26 PM
I posted in another thread that Dr. Paul's #1 defense, his own personal Firewall against all slanders, and its worked very well already, is that Ron Paul receives more donations from our troops than any other canidate!!! :)

NYgs23
01-01-2008, 10:31 PM
If you don't think they are basking him already you haven't been to the "conservative" websites lately, have you?

ChristopherJ
01-01-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm sure the attack commercials will have homeless old people and children starving in the streets. He's a crazy LIBERTARIAN!!!

Who will take care of these people if RP is elected president? :( <sobs>

all J's in IL for RP
01-01-2008, 10:41 PM
If he comes in 3rd or 4th in Iowa and makes it through NH in good shape, the attacks will be policy based as the "crazy" moniker will clearly not have worked. With undertones of claims of racism by proxies.

GML3G
01-01-2008, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other candidates already have anti-Paul ads just in case he does well in Iowa and New Hampshire.

Nash
01-01-2008, 11:13 PM
OK, no one is really bashing him too much right now because they don't think he has a chance. However, after Jan 3rd, people will start to bash him, correct?

They will say he is "crazy". This is it. We need to think about or brainstorm things to counter all of these close minded and freedom-hating people.

Saying "the constitution isn't crazy" is OK, but it won't be enough.

(P.S. - they will also likely criticize us, the supporters)

Other than the ridiculous smears that he's a racist the biggest thing I've encountered is that he's simply too radical.

I don't personally think he's as radical as his rhetoric but people who don't want real change simply aren't going to come around.

We have to temper ideas vs. implementation on some of the issues if you're trying to convince people to join the movement.

curtisag
01-01-2008, 11:49 PM
They've already tried throwing everything at him, including the kitchen sink. The Russert interview on MTP was their last ditch attempt to smear him, but it didn't work. That's why he's being excluded from debates now, because if they can't successfully attack him, they must silence him.

Paul4Prez
01-02-2008, 12:45 AM
My concern is that there will be a manufactured event to smear Ron Paul and the grassroots. The real hits won't come from verbal or media attacks.

I wonder if the Fox News forum exclusion was set up to provoke a confrontation? It's very important, if they continue to exclude Ron Paul, that protesters there in NH remain on their best behavior. Do credit to your candidate and the campaign, and don't give them anything to use against us.

shane2
01-02-2008, 01:22 AM
Nothing will easily derail this movement after RP does surprisingly well in Iowa and New Hampshire, with the additional attention and validation it'll unleash then, as the cat will be largely out of the bag, so to speak, with millions more then eagerly taking a closer look at RP for themselves and, when they do, liking what they see and hear!

One exception that could derail it all would be for provocateurs doing something violent supposedly for RP's cause. (Timothy McVeigh in OKC totally discredited and marginalized the then increasingly popular Militia/Patriot movement at the time in the blink of an eye.) Even without bloodshed, provocateurs might succeed in discrediting RP supporters and stall the movement today, with media help, simply by some crude bombings on IRS buildings with Ron Paul slogans left spray painted behind. I'm also reminded the pro-life movement took a big hit and drop in recruitment when a couple nut cases went violent, too.

The stakes are incredibly high, and the forces we would hope to shake out of their long standing privileged positions and reign in with a return to Constitutional restraints are the richest and most powerful people in the world in politics, govt, banking, business, media, etc. They will not play fair, to put it lightly, nor go meekly into the night defeated. Wars have been started by these people, countries overthrown, innocents bombed, Americans offed, etc., as they have no restraint whatsoever gaining more power, and especially keeping what they have.

If any have trouble imagining such extreme evil intent is even possible, understand that that is a common vulnerability of most all good and moral people throughout all of history, as most of us have had little personal experience with the extreme heights of arrogance and all consuming lust for power that is the hallmark of truly evil people who know no common and decent moral restraints.

Bottom Line: No tolerance whatsoever can ever be allowed towards anyone associated with RP supporters discussing, or even off-handed throwing out, anything even remotely hinting of violence or illegality. Even being vigilant is no guarantee, of course, but at least we'll be prepared to promptly respond and hopefully minimize any setback to have been on record not tolerating anything violent or illegal. Nor, will we be so shell shocked and then ineffective getting back on our feet and re-grouping if/when anything truly nasty gets unleashed. Who we are up against here will stop at nothing to defeat this movement if it keeps growing and threatening them more, thus we need to be forewarned, vigilant, and prepared for anything!

- Shane

michaelwise
01-02-2008, 01:29 AM
They are going to call his victory a protest vote. I am going to call it, tell the
Washington machine to shove it up their ass vote.

Hangly Man
01-02-2008, 01:40 AM
Yeah, crazy about the constitution and the rule of law!

jorlowitz
01-02-2008, 04:47 AM
It's going to be constant and ugly. They'll call him a closet racist, a right wing, pro-life fundamentalist, an isolationist, an old-fashioned kook. It will take a lot of discussion to get through it, great ads, good supporters, and lots of $.

ReallyNow
01-02-2008, 05:01 AM
I always say "It's amazing that the founding fathers ideas of liberty, freedom and prosperity have been pushed so far from the mainstream that their views are now considered 'fringe' or 'crazy'" People usually stop talking to me at that point.

Dave Pedersen
01-02-2008, 05:24 AM
A force greater than the Britain faced by Washington stands entrenched before us. More subtle and evil and frightened and determined to win. They love death and only love power to bring about more death. Brace yourselves. This will get very ugly.