PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul lacks charisma?

Andrew-Austin
01-01-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm not talking about the content of his speeches, but the tone of his voice and lack of consistent tempo.

He lacks speaking skills.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fd67Dysipo

Yeah the audience was cheering, but it was most likely filled with people who were already RP fans. And yes, there seems to be some audio problems on CNN's part near the end.

BUT he is obviously speaking from his throat instead of from his chest/gut. Delivery is choppy(tempo changes), and sometimes his explanations are not relayed thoroughly(though this may be due to some time constraint?).

Unfortunately charisma is a big swaying point for some Americans, as well as an important tool for politicians, and Ron Paul lacks it. Discuss.

I was going to put this in the "hot topics" section, but its not showing up for me.. Please view this as constructive criticism and not just negative crap.

Xonox
01-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Hopefully people will see through the empty charisma and rhetoric of the other candidates and choose the next president based on their message.

Andrew-Austin
01-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Hopefully people will see through the empty charisma and rhetoric of the other candidates and choose the next president based on their message.

Well I just remembered, Bush squirmed into office twice and hes far worse then Paul. He had mainstream support, globalist CFR support, etc, though.

Eponym_mi
01-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah, we really need someone with charisma and no brains....like the idiot that thought he'd have to consult with a lawyer before declaring war without the consent of Congress.:rolleyes:

Andrew-Austin
01-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Yeah, we really need someone with charisma and no brains... :rolleyes:

Thats not what I was suggesting at all and you know it.

Ron Paul holds many admirable traits for sure, I'm just saying his lack of charisma is a hindrance to reaching out to even more people..

integrity
01-01-2008, 06:03 PM
why do you even start a thread like this??? no don't ANSWER!

Liberty Star
01-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Andrew, who of these three has most charisma in your view?

Ron Paul, Hillary Clinton, Abraham Lincoln

IMO, RP is the most impressive speaker in the whole GOP lineup. He is the only exciting candidate in an otherwise dull lineup, I skip boring debates when he is not in them.

VoluntaryMan
01-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Charisma? You mean like Nixon, Ford, Bush1.0, and Bush2.0? 4 of the last 5 Republican Presidents make Ron Paul look like Brad Pitt. The charisma argument is a media/neocon red herring.

Andrew-Austin
01-01-2008, 06:12 PM
why do you even start a thread like this??? no don't ANSWER!

Because its only logical to acknowledge our candidates few weaknesses so that we may deal with them in the future?

Do you suggest we just clamp our ears and scream any time someone offers constructive criticism?

Andrew, who of these three has most charisma in your view?

Ron Paul, Hillary Clinton, Abraham Lincoln

IMO, RP is the most impressive speaker in the whole GOP lineup. He is the only exciting candidate in an otherwise dull lineup, I skip boring debates when he is not in them.

I'm amazed at how all of you fail to see the intentions of this thread.

No shit his message is 100x better then all of the other candidates.

It might not be an important factor for you and I, but it is (unconsciously) an important factor for many Americans who don't quickly see the truth in his words.

Charisma? You mean like Nixon, Ford, Bush1.0, and Bush2.0? 4 of the last 5 Republican Presidents make Ron Paul look like Brad Pitt. The charisma argument is a media/neocon red herring.

All of those men had the establishment on their side..... If you haven't noticed, the powers that be (who have great control over America right now) don't exactly like Ron Paul.

Charisma, combined with his awesome message, would be more effective at reaching out to Americans.

Gaius1981
01-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Everybody wants to hug him, though. That's got to amount to at least a little bit of charisma.

VoluntaryMan
01-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Because its only logical to acknowledge our candidates few weaknesses so that we may deal with them in the future?

Do you suggest we just clamp our ears and scream any time someone offers constructive criticism?

1) It's irrelevant.

2) How is complaining about an superficial, irrelevant, immutable quality "constructive"?:confused:

WilliamC
01-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Come on now people, Ron Paul himself admits his supporters aren't about him but about his message. His charisma comes from his honesty and integrity and the courage to speak truth to power. Not from a commanding stage presence, a resonating baritone voice, and made-for-TV good looks. Unfortunately these other things are important and if Ron Paul had them, if he were as "handsome" as Romney or as good an orator as Allen Keys or even came off as smooth as Huckabee he would draw more support. I honestly hope that Ron Paul is the harbinger of a new wave of politicians who are pro-liberty and will have the courage and integrity to stand up to the powers-that-be, AND be better at communicating the message and connecting to the average American.

Spirit of '76
01-01-2008, 06:18 PM
He was named "Most Charismatic" (in addition to "Person of the Year") by the McLaughlin Group.

You don't inspire a movement like this without charisma. :rolleyes:

Tina
01-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Maybe you don't understand what charisma means. They all fit Dr. Paul

1. Christian Theol. a divinely inspired gift, grace, or talent, as for prophesying, healing, etc.

2. a special quality of leadership that captures the popular imagination and inspires allegiance and devotion

3. a special charm or allure that inspires fascination or devotion the film star's charisma

Andrew-Austin
01-01-2008, 06:29 PM
How is complaining about an superficial, irrelevant, immutable quality "constructive"?:confused:

So charisma/speaking skills by itself is superficial? Nice critical thinking skills buddy.

Irrelevant? Like I said, it might be to you and I. But to the many dumb shit Americans who blindly swallow Hillary's BS, it is a very important trait ( on an unconscious level ) for them.

Maybe you don't understand what charisma means. They all fit Dr. Paul

1. Christian Theol. a divinely inspired gift, grace, or talent, as for prophesying, healing, etc.

2. a special quality of leadership that captures the popular imagination and inspires allegiance and devotion

3. a special charm or allure that inspires fascination or devotion the film star's charisma

Allow me to change the thread title to "speaking skills" then.

Pharoah
01-01-2008, 06:49 PM
If Ron was a slick talking salesman, he probably wouldn't find anyone listening to him. Authenticity counts for a lot in the modern age of media-generated heroes.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Thats not what I was suggesting at all and you know it.

Ron Paul holds many admirable traits for sure, I'm just saying his lack of charisma is a hindrance to reaching out to even more people..

He's getting better, though. All of the terrible crap the media has put him through is making him a much stonger speaker. He's way better now than he was 5 months ago, even, and particularly does better under pressure. I once thought this was somewhat of a problem, but I don't believe so anymore.

Meatwasp
01-01-2008, 07:30 PM
geez first he gets yelled at for not dressing good now he has no class or charismo.
Why don't you start a positive thread!!!!! Why attack the guy personally