PDA

View Full Version : Another Paul smear on a T-shirt

Orat
07-13-2007, 09:05 PM
http://skreened.com/irregularwear/czmwhgqsobdgnwzpdazl

What a bunch of morons. Ron Paul is for FREE TRADE and a global division of labor. Besides, as far as I'm aware, the Ron Paul campaign doesn't even SELL T-shirts!

Orat
07-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Oh wait, I guess they just started selling them.

drinkbleach
07-14-2007, 02:43 PM
I'm sure the campaign is funded by Rudy McRomney. Notice the lack of sources cited?

Dary
07-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Notice the price of the Tee Shirt they are selling?

I wonder how many they've sold.

I can’t afford a tee shirt for $17. They are forcing me to buy a tee shirt that was made overseas.

Why don’t they reduce the price of a tee shirt so that I can afford to buy one from them?

The government should do something and force them to sell cheaper tee shirts. ;)

What a joke.

johnrocks
07-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Smear campaigns usually are targeted at candidates that the opposition fears, this is a good sign!IMO

Wendi
07-14-2007, 04:51 PM
There is a fine line between smear campaign and outright libel. The latter can be stopped...

Spirit of '76
07-14-2007, 05:12 PM
Does the official campaign actually sell any shirts at all?

If not, then what they are saying is not true, as Ron Paul has no control over where individual supporters have their t-shirts made.

LibertyEagle
07-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Does the official campaign actually sell any shirts at all?

Nope.

Bloody Holly
07-14-2007, 07:38 PM
this person's t-shirts which you can see at the bottom all stand for what Ron Paul stands for.

No to war

Legalize drugs

I think this person needs to be educated. He probably spent to much time reading the Daily Kos

skreened
07-29-2007, 09:07 AM
Hi supporters of Ron Paul,

In the last day, I've received about 10 personally threatening emails from supporters of Dr. Paul. These emails have been very disturbing. The most disturbing thing, I think, is the fact that the people who send them, do not take the time to see that my company, Skreened.com, is an open forum of user-generated content.

I don't censor people who put things on my site.

It would be like Kinkos refusing to make copies of your fliers because they weren't sure they agreed with them or that the facts were correct. Imagine the hate mail they would get if they did that! Instead, I'm getting hate mail for doing my job.

The bottom line. Stop sending me hate mail: Tell your friends to stop sending me hate mail. I did not design, describe or endorse any of the shirts in this customers webstore.

If you do feel the need to send nasty messages, please send them to irregular times, and not me.

daniel fox
skreened.com
daniel@skreened.com

LeifreeKC
07-29-2007, 09:22 AM
It would be like Kinkos refusing to make copies of your fliers because they weren't sure they agreed with them or that the facts were correct. Imagine the hate mail they would get if they did that! Instead, I'm getting hate mail for doing my job.

daniel@skreened.com

Um, Mr. Fox, Kinkos does not sell their customer's copies under the Kinkos name. If they did and they sold something so clearly libelous they would find themselves in court. I suggest you contact an attorney.

inibo
07-29-2007, 09:23 AM

In the last day, I've received about 10 personally threatening emails from supporters of Dr. Paul.

If what you say is indeed the case, you deserve an apology. I did not send you any e-mails, but I for one am sorry if any of Dr. Paul's supporter sent "threatening" e-mail, even more so if it was misdirected to you because someone didn't take the time to see that it was one of your customers, not you who is responsible for the content of that site.

Come on people, honey an vinegar!

angelatc
07-29-2007, 09:36 AM
I know this is unpopular, but I honestly think that sweatshops are a phase that an economy needs to go through. We went through it, and once the economy grew we gave it up.

I prefer to buy American, but for different reasons.

I believe this is the Progressive young lady who is claiming that Ron Paul's campaign sells t-shirts. http://skreened.com/profile/irregularwear

inibo
07-29-2007, 10:05 AM
I sent a copy of my message here to Daniel Fox, the guy from screened.

Here is his response:

thanks chris. it is the case, i've even been asking irregular times to help clarify the situation. They've made some modifications to their content, however, i'm not sure it will please everyone.

The emails i get are increasing in vulgarity and the level of threats expressed. If there's anything you can do to help me not being harassed, i would really appreciate it.

daniel

and i really appreciate your note after all the crap i've had to deal with, it was nice.

Here is my reply to his reply:

Daniel,

I don't know if the messages you are getting are coming from ronpaulforums.org folks or not. One of the problems with a grassroots movement is there is really no one in charge, but I have posted your reply to the forum. Believe me, the responses you are getting are not typical of us. Dr. Paul has rabid supporters, but most of us realize the last thing we need to be doing is alienating entrepreneurs who are living the dream we are trying to articulate.

It is my sincere hope that you will not judge us all by the behavior of an unfortunately vocal few.

Chris

Once again, folks, honey and vinegar.

Shink
07-29-2007, 10:10 AM
So where's this "updated material?" Also, has that lying bitch been contacted? Pure bullshit disinfo.

johnrocks
07-29-2007, 10:11 AM
I read the article, they are made by Hanes so blame them and everyone wearing Hanes underwear DROP YOUR DRAWERS in protest:D

angelatc
07-29-2007, 10:49 AM
I read the article, they are made by Hanes so blame them and everyone wearing Hanes underwear DROP YOUR DRAWERS in protest:D

And post pictures.

Orat
07-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Hanes is not the problem. It's the Irregular Times blogger who is spouting this bull. And if you are going to contact Irregular Times, please articulate the truth in a civil, if firm, manner. Threats are out of the question.

inibo
07-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Hanes is not the problem. It's the Irregular Times blogger who is spouting this bull. And if you are going to contact Irregular Times, please articulate the truth in a civil, if firm, manner. Threats are out of the question.

Bump

winston84
07-29-2007, 01:35 PM

In the last day, I've received about 10 personally threatening emails from supporters of Dr. Paul. These emails have been very disturbing. The most disturbing thing, I think, is the fact that the people who send them, do not take the time to see that my company, Skreened.com, is an open forum of user-generated content.

I don't censor people who put things on my site.

The bottom line. Stop sending me hate mail: Tell your friends to stop sending me hate mail. I did not design, describe or endorse any of the shirts in this customers webstore.

If you do feel the need to send nasty messages, please send them to irregular times, and not me.

daniel fox
skreened.com
daniel@skreened.com

Interesting, that there is nothing regarding what you just stated in your about page found here http://skreened.com/static/about

The closest thing I found is:

Skreened is a marketplace where you match your ideas and designs with our on-demand product offering to create a brand of your own, around WHATEVER IDEA YOU LIKE.

Aside from the fact that you don't make any effort to make a separation between your company and "whatever idea" a customer sells. The company handles all returns, so it looks like Skreened! bears more responsibility in what it puts out than say a company like eBay which only facilitates the process.

winston84
07-29-2007, 02:30 PM
I sent the above post exactly as it is to daniel@skreened.com and here is his reply...

sure, lets pick a fight about it asshole'

I'm sure he's frustrated at the e-mails he's been getting, but responses like that don't help him at all. I actually like the idea behind his business, he just needs to clarify where the company stands in respect to what is sold.

AZ Libertarian
07-29-2007, 03:17 PM
It took me a while. I get it now.

http://irregulartimes.com/index.php/archives/2007/06/28/ron-paul-sweatshop-master/

These people deserve a kick in the nuts.

skreened
07-29-2007, 04:17 PM
I sent the above post exactly as it is to daniel@skreened.com and here is his reply...

I'm sure he's frustrated at the e-mails he's been getting, but responses like that don't help him at all. I actually like the idea behind his business, he just needs to clarify where the company stands in respect to what is sold.

Yeah, that was mean. I'm sorry. I AM very frustrated. I'm just trying to run a fair business and not censor people. I'm sorry if the separation between a users store on skreened and skreened.com itself is not clear. I took a look at the about page and tried to clarify that a little. I'm thinking I'm also going to put something in the footer of the site about a users content being their own and not endorsed by skreened.

I'm just a guy, people. Trying to run a small business who got sick of the bullshit of the corporate world. I have a you tube channel. I'm funny, I can be a jerk, i can be really nice, but I'm just a 27 year old with a wife and a dog and cat trying to make something out of this. What's that quote? something like "I disagree with what my opponent is saying, but I will defend to the death his right to say it".

I'm sure ron paul is great. seriously. But when you come at someone for the first time with legal threats, it doesn't start the conversation off on the right foot. And that seems to be all i've been getting in emails. ugh.

I want everyone to know that I have been talking to irregular times and I have asked nicely that he be more clear about what he means, he totally complied and updated the statement. He doesn't back down from his point of view, but the current content is just more specific about his offense.

Anyone here can put pro Ron Paul stuff up. I'd love that.

Or hell, if you're so inclined put of a pro-bush shirt. I may have to rethink my censorship policy if you do though. :)

By the way, I agree about the Hanes underwear comment. Almost everone has purchased a piece of clothing with questionable sourcing. It's my personal opinion that we should do something to counter that at the source, rather than pointing fingers at people who print on Hanes clothing. Skreened is my little way of trying to make a living and giving people who have an ethical problem with sweatshop tee shirts an avenue to express their opinions and be a part of the solution.

did I make up for my nasty comment yet? no? well come by and I'll buy you a coffee.

daniel@skreened.com

Mom4Ron
07-29-2007, 04:31 PM
So you're just a smaller cafepress is that right? If so, do you ensure that every product that you use right down the ink is made in the US?

skreened
07-29-2007, 05:22 PM
yes, similar to cafe press.

As far as I know, and I do look into these thing, The Ink is manufactured in Tempe, AZ USA by US Screen, it is FastInk 3.

The Printer I use is a FastTjet 2, which is also manufactured in Tempe, AZ. by the same folks. The Guts are a modified Epson 2200 inkjet printer, which was probably made overseas.

But the question here is not whether things were made in other places; at least that's not the question i'm trying to answer. I'm striving for a transparent supply chain, and ethically produced garments made in fair trade environments.

While you'll find it may be impossible to do completely, I'm giving it my best shot here and being as transparent as I can about it. Blank Tee shirts (like other things in the apparel industry) just have a notoriously bad reputation for being sourced from places that happen to not pay their laborers a wage that they can live on in their economy. It really is not a good notch to have on your belt, I believe.

skreened
07-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Um, Mr. Fox, Kinkos does not sell their customer's copies under the Kinkos name. If they did and they sold something so clearly libelous they would find themselves in court. I suggest you contact an attorney.

I'm an on-demand printer, and i'm not selling the stuff 'under my name' a cursory examination of skreened will show you that. Thanks
daniel

Mom4Ron
07-29-2007, 05:43 PM
That might not be the question you have, but considering the t-shirts we're discussing, it's a relevant question. Nothing would be funnier than for those shirts to be the same as cafepress shirts.

I'm sorry for the ugly emails that you received and I'm glad that I didn't send any, but as a business owner, you're going to be held responsible for the products that you sell. That's why cafepress has rules, because they realize that they're responsible for the material that they allow. It's your business, it's your responsibility.

specsaregood
08-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Ok, so I stumbled upon this while I was searching for information on Ron Paul and his thoughts on unions.

So this website makes a big deal about Ron Paul selling shirts on cafepress that are the result of sweatshop labor.
http://irregulartimes.com/index.php/archives/2007/06/28/ron-paul-sweatshop-master/

How they link to this other site skeened.com is confusing. And caused some uproar with the site owner getting hate emails from Ron Paul supporters. But it seems irregulartimes.com was simply using skeened.com as an example of a GOOD supplier not using sweatshop clothing? http://skreened.com/static/about
"2. Overthrow Sweatshop Labor
We would rather pay just a little more for clothing than consider the consequences underpayment does to whole societies. Most cheap shirts sold today don't value the lives and wages of the overseas employees who are all but enslaved to manufacture them. Stand up with us and do what's right.
"
Did I get all that right?

So the clothing that there is an issue with is:
http://www.cafepress.com/ronpaul_2008/3181643
And cafepress clothing is sweatshop clothing, if you believe the article. If so, then it is a VALID point. The campaign *could* choose to only sell non-sweatshop clothing. Worth noting, there is a "Made in The USA" attractive label clearly promoting such products. None in the Kids and Baby section though. :(

Is this a fair question, shoud the campaign work to verify good labor practices in their suppliers and only sell approved products/materials?

Orat
08-19-2007, 01:01 AM
Please explain how boycotting and thereby removing (low-paying) jobs (jobs which were taken because they were better than the available alternatives) from a community helps anybody. People who take jobs voluntarily do so because they are better off taking the job than not taking it. If we boycot their employers and they close the factory, they lose what meager income they have.

How did India get to be the growing economy it is now? It all started with so-called "sweat shops".

I expect better economic reasoning from Ron Paul supporters.

Wyurm
08-19-2007, 01:10 AM
Please explain how boycotting and thereby removing (low-paying) jobs (jobs which were taken because they were better than the available alternatives) from a community helps anybody. People who take jobs voluntarily do so because they are better off taking the job than not taking it. If we boycot their employers and they close the factory, they lose what meager income they have.

How did India get to be the growing economy it is now? It all started with so-called "sweat shops".

What he is doing is offering an alternative, not taking anything away from anyone. There is nothing at all wrong with offering an alternative. Many people would prefer not to wear clothing made in sweatshop conditions while there are many others who would love to because of the price. This man is doing nothing wrong and nothing unethical. In fact I applaud him for taking the initiative to start up this business.

As for emailing anyone. I should hope that everyone on this forum is being respectful with any complaints they have. We are just a small portion of this movement though, and can't do anything about what other people on other forums, blogs, or chats decide to do.

specsaregood
08-19-2007, 01:15 AM

Well, I didn't take a position. :) I said it was a valid question. Yes, Ron Paul could choose to do this. You bring up a valid reason to not follow that reasoning.

As I noted, they do clearly identify USA made items. This enables people that feel the same way as irregulartimes.com to support those items.

On the otherside, your answer assumes that the employer will choose to go out of business instead of changing their labor practices. The consumer has the ultimate power, and if the Ron Paul campaign or the final purchaser chooses to only buy non-sweatshop items, then the business will have to change their ways.