PDA

View Full Version : Number of Republicans in U.S. Increases in December to Two-Year High

nist7
01-01-2008, 12:39 PM
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/party_affiliation/partisan_trends

The number of Americans who consider themselves to be Republicans jumped nearly two percentage points in December to 34.2%. That’s the largest market share for the Republican brand in nearly two years, since January 2006 (see history from January 2004 to present).

At the same time, the number of Democrats fell to 36.3%. That’s down a point compared to a month ago. During 2007, the number of Democrats has ranged from a low of 35.9% in July to a high of 37.8% in February.

These results are based upon tracking surveys of 15,000 adults per month. The margin of sampling error is less than one percentage point, with a 95% level of confidence. Please keep in mind that figures reported in this article are for all adults, not Likely Voters.

Back in May, the Republicans fell to their lowest level of party identification of the past four years (30.8%). Then, the immigration debate raged in Congress and some Republican legislators helped defeat an unpopular Senate immigration bill. Republicans have gained ground in five of the seven months since then. But, the gains in December—1.7 percentage points—matched the total gains for the previous six months combined.

The December gains for the GOP coincide with increased public confidence in the War on Terror. It’s interesting to note that this did not improve President Bush’s Job Approval ratings while helping the Republican Party overall.

The gap between the parties now shows a 2.1 percentage point advantage for the Democrats. That’s the smallest advantage for the Democrats since January 2006. It represents a dramatic change from the previous five months when the gap favored Democrats by a margin between 4.5 and 4.9 percentage points each and every month.

A year ago at this time, the Democrats had a 6.9 percentage point advantage as they prepared to formally take control of Congress following their victories in Election 2006. It remains to be seen whether the Republican gains can last, but it is startling to note that the Democrats have lost two-thirds of the partisan advantage since taking control of Congress.

Democrats continue to have a significant advantage on ten key issues tracked by Rasmussen Reports. Nancy Pelosi's Party also holds a solid lead on the Generic Congressional Ballot. Pelosi herself is viewed favorably by 38% and unfavorably by 51% of voters nationwide. At her peak, shortly after becoming the first woman Speaker of the House, Pelosi was viewed favorably by 49% of voters.

:o

Kilrain
01-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Hmm, I wonder why... ;)

UtahApocalypse
01-01-2008, 12:46 PM
The December gains for the GOP coincide with increased public confidence in the War on Terror. It’s interesting to note that this did not improve President Bush’s Job Approval ratings while helping the Republican Party overall.

Sounds contradictory to me. Maybe people are becoming Republican for some other reason? I know that I did.

FreedomLover
01-01-2008, 12:47 PM
What a coinky-dink.

Think12345
01-01-2008, 12:48 PM
That translates to a full 6% of republican base.
Which in turn translates to more than 20% of primary/causus goers...

Guys, we have ourselves a winner!

nist7
Hmm, I wonder why... ;)

Sounds contradictory to me. Maybe people are becoming Republican for some other reason? I know that I did.

The article is at a complete loss in its explanation for this trend......:o

I wonder why..........:D

Perry
The December gains for the GOP coincide with increased public confidence in the War on Terror.

Funny it also coincides within a particular candidates entrance into the presidential race.

I wonder if there is any evidence of this? Let's see here...

It’s interesting to note that this did not improve President Bush’s Job Approval ratings while helping the Republican Party overall.

literatim
And Democrats dropped a point? Hmm. :D

Eponym_mi
01-01-2008, 12:50 PM
It could be a reaction to Hillary. Maybe dems really aren't that happy with their choices. But I hope all the new Republicans will be voting for Ron Paul!

nist7
01-01-2008, 12:56 PM
It could be a reaction to Hillary. Maybe dems really aren't that happy with their choices. But I hope all the new Republicans will be voting for Ron Paul!

It's not likely that the Hillary haterade would persuade Democrats to become Republicans....they're prolly being drawn into the Obama camp as the anti-Hillary candidate.

Of course, I too am hoping that the majority of those new GOPs are because of Ron Paul :cool:

Wyurm
01-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Curiouser and curiouser :D.

I've been waiting impatiently for this. I did not expect them to think it was due to some sort of spontaneous love of the "war on terror", however, I am extremely happy to finally hear this.

There should obviously be only one good reason for such an increase in the Republican party, I don't think I need to explain.

Paul4Prez
01-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Back in May, the Republicans fell to their lowest level of party identification of the past four years (30.8%). Then, the immigration debate raged in Congress and some Republican legislators helped defeat an unpopular Senate immigration bill. Republicans have gained ground in five of the seven months since then. But, the gains in December—1.7 percentage points—matched the total gains for the previous six months combined.

I wonder what else happened in May? I seem to recall a certain debate in South Carolina where two of the candidates mixed it up over foreign policy....

speciallyblend
01-01-2008, 01:03 PM
can anyone say RON PAUL;) thats why,if they cant figure that out,the gop that is ,then they are doomed to lose the n ext election,if they cant add 1+1=2
RON PAUL BABY

nist7
01-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Curiouser and curiouser :D.

I've been waiting impatiently for this. I did not expect them to think it was due to some sort of spontaneous love of the "war on terror", however, I am extremely happy to finally hear this.

HAHAHA

Yup.....the War on Terror is so popular now that Democrats are being converted to Republicans!!! :eek:.......:o

FreedomProsperityPeace
01-01-2008, 05:10 PM
I've been trying to find out how much the GOP membership has increased since Ron Paul has been campaigning. This is VERY good news!

Shavenyak
01-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Looking at the numbers in May, that means that roughly 10% of the republican party joined since May. They're NOT in the polls, either. 10%!!! Plus the 8% or so from the last election that say they're voting for Paul. Not bad at all :)