PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing article in a popular local paper about the NAU

richard1984
07-13-2007, 04:20 PM
This is really scary.

I was just flipping through the Metro Pulse (which is a popular local paper that is published weekly and is free) when I ran across this:

http://www.metropulse.com/articles/2007/17_28/commentary.html

Holy shit! This guy needs to be straightened out. I can’t BELIEVE they allowed this piece of filth article in the Metro Pulse!

I really want to write a letter of response, but I’m pretty busy with school work right now. Maybe later this weekend I can work something out.

You all should feel free to send complaints about this article. I want them to regret publishing this NWO, anti-American bullshit! Seriously. I live in a very “conservative” part of the country--definitely very “patriotic.” If people understood what this person is saying in this article, I think that a lot of them would be ready to rally.

We just have to get Ron Paul elected. We HAVE to!

mdh
07-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Eh, this wasn't so bad, honestly the guy said a few good things, too. He just has some whacky ideas and doesn't understand a lot of things that most Americans don't. We'd be much better off to try and explain things to the author and the people in general in any counter-letters than to deride him outright.

The U.S. response has been awkward, with our leadership decrying international change over which it has no dominion and lunging about militarily, instituting a war on terror, for instance, without sufficient regard to our overall relationship with the world's nations, their economies and their peoples. Folly is what we've been engaged in.

That portion is really even right on.

richard1984
07-13-2007, 04:41 PM
It was the comments like the following that I don't like, simply because this will probably be the first time a lot of people have heard of the North American Union:
"I'm not here to suggest that such notions are silly, but to say flatly that the concept of a united North American community would be of benefit to every American who hopes to live well into the 21st century."

He's far too optimistic about something that would destroy the U.S. as we know it. I'm just not too keen on losing even more of my freedom. I don't respond well to orders.

And yeah, I'm sorry if I was a little too extreme sounding above. It just kinda freaked me out when I saw this in the Metro Pulse.

I don't like this at all. The NAU will not be a good thing.

WannaBfree
07-13-2007, 04:43 PM
It's not unusual for small local papers to be owned by The NY Times or other media conglomerates. I read awhile back that the arms dealer The Carlyle Group (Bush Sr. & James Baker) was after the L.A. Times and Chicago Tribune (who own other papers), and are now trying to get Richard Branson's Virgin. I've also read that the people bringing us the Trans-Texas Corridor (part of NAFTA Super Highway) has bought out all the small town newspapers along its route. Controlling public opinion is important.

thuja
07-13-2007, 04:47 PM
first there were articles written that made fun of anyone who thought the NAU and NAFTA superhighway were actual plans, now this "interdependance"

there is more and more talk of "community" as well.

let's not have these

thuja
07-13-2007, 04:49 PM
It's not unusual for small local papers to be owned by The NY Times or other media conglomerates. I read awhile back that the arms dealer The Carlyle Group (Bush Sr. & James Baker) was after the L.A. Times and Chicago Tribune (who own other papers), and are now trying to get Richard Branson's Virgin. I've also read that the people bringing us the Trans-Texas Corridor (part of NAFTA Super Highway) has bought out all the small town newspapers along its route. Controlling public opinion is important.

this is true, an Australian co bought the papers in order to stop negative publicity about the NAFTA superhighway.

richard1984
07-13-2007, 04:52 PM

That's what's even worse about this, though: the Metro Pulse is pretty much independent. It's definitely got the reputation of being an "indie" magazine.
Actually, it was just recently acquired by the Scripps Co. ( http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/jun/26/scripps-acquires-metro-pulse/ ), which owns the Knoxville News Sentinel (the main local newspaper). As far as I can tell, it's all still pretty local.
I really don't know, though. I don't know anything about the company.

Again, I just don't like the positive spin it put on the North American Union. It'll give too many people a false sense of security.