PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's Strategy to Reach Evangelicals

oldpaths1611
07-13-2007, 11:23 AM
I finally received an email back from the campaign in response to a letter I wrote a month or so ago. In the letter I inquired as to what strategy, if any, was being employed to reach the evangelical voting block. I want to thank Nancy from campaign headquarters for this response. It is very encouraging.

Dear

In order to reach conservative evangelicals, Dr. Paul is having meetings at every stop of his schedule with religious leaders. His stance is to protect freedom of religion. He himself is a man of faith, a committed Christian, is 100% pro-life, and for for family values. He has been married 50 years with 5 children and 18 grandchildren.

It's my opinion your e-mail has one of the best points I have read from a Ron Paul supporter. It is very well articulated and we thank you for it. And thank you for your support of Ron Paul as President.

2008 Presidential Campaign
Nancy - Volunteer

BillyBeer
07-13-2007, 11:28 AM
The problem Paul will have with Evangelicals is that he doesnt want to ignite WWIII in the Middle East. I dont think Evangelicals are going to like his non interventionist foreign policy and opposition to military and financial aid for Israel.

Slugg
07-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Awesome!!! This has been on my mind as well. I have been sending emails to devout Christians about Dr. Paul. His stance is very attractive to Christians and I am glad they are working towards that.

LibertyOrDie
07-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Thank you for sharing...

The Christian Right is probable one of our biggest hurdle right now.

Slugg
07-13-2007, 11:32 AM
The problem Paul will have with Evangelicals is that he doesnt want to ignite WWIII in the Middle East. I dont think Evangelicals are going to like his non interventionist foreign policy and opposition to military and financial aid for Israel.

Well, with 'mainstream' Evangelicals you may be right. But in all honesty Evangelicals are the minority in the Christian faith. All that Dr. Paul needs to do is continue going to the medium to larger Churches and speak with their leaders. I think we can find ourselves getting MANY Christian votes.

BillyBeer
07-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Well, with 'mainstream' Evangelicals you may be right. But in all honesty Evangelicals are the minority in the Christian faith. All that Dr. Paul needs to do is continue going to the medium to larger Churches and speak with their leaders. I think we can find ourselves getting MANY Christian votes.

I agree that Ron Pauls message is appealing to "mainline" Protestants and Roman Catholics. Evangelicals DO make up 26 percent of Christians in this country. Their numbers in Republican primaries are substantial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelical_Christians#_note-rel-am-landscape-2004

This is the theological school that has Israeli flags all over their churches. So I dont think its a stretch to say that Ron Paul will struggle to win over Evangelicals. Maybe he should concentrate on winning over Catholics and mainline Protestants to counterbalance the effect Evangelicals have on the Republican primaries.

kylejack
07-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Evangelicals are EASY. Who are they going to vote for, adulterer and multiple marriages Rudy? Mormon Mitt? Abortion lobbyist Thompson? Okay, maybe Huckabee or Brownback, but if we tap the mainstream and get name recognition, the evangelical vote will back us to block all the current frontrunners.

spacebetween
07-13-2007, 12:08 PM
The problem with the Evangelicals is, as some have posted, their desire to ignite the "end times."

I used to be there once, myself. In a community of other rapture believers, I found it very, very difficult to reconcile my hope for Jesus' return with the idea of WANTING to start WWIII.

Of course now I see the flaw in hoping for more bloodshed and death.

The other day I spoke with my grandmother about Ron Paul. She has interesting ideas in regard to Bible prophecy, but as most end-times believers acknowledge, the importance of Israel is central in her beliefs. The most central of which is that in the time before Jesus returns, all the countries of the world will turn against Israel. Ezekiel speaks of a Gog-Magog war, which many interpret as Russia turning against Israel. Who will be aiding Russia? None other than Iran! So, for us to begin threatening Iran with war is actually a good thing to her. ESPECIALLY with Ahmadinejad's promises to annihilate the Jewish state.

Additionally, she notices that the US plays no role in Bible prophecy -- it is not mentioned at all according to interpretation. Therefore, something must happen to disable the US. I'll leave that to your imagination.

Who will take us to this point? A war-hawk President, of course.

BillyBeer
07-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Evangelicals are EASY. Who are they going to vote for, adulterer and multiple marriages Rudy? Mormon Mitt? Abortion lobbyist Thompson? Okay, maybe Huckabee or Brownback, but if we tap the mainstream and get name recognition, the evangelical vote will back us to block all the current frontrunners.

Ron Pauls non interventionist stance and neutrality towards Israel gets in the way of courting the evangelicals. Its not EASY.

ThePieSwindler
07-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Evangelicals need to realize that in the early part of the 1st millenium AD they thought the end times were near! Every generation thinks Jesus will come back in their lifetime, and perhaps tries to interpret current events as such.

I'm sorry but, "expediting the end times" is no excuse for wanting death and destruction - that is evil. If that is going to happen, let it happen in spite of Christians, not because of them. The major logical flaw in the evangelical arguement is that we need to start wars to expedite the end times.... God would be outraged! It was prophesized that this would happen, regardless of what christians do. Christians are commanded to spread love and hope to people before the end time, NOT to help make it come faster by igniting wars! Those wars will come anyways. I consider so-called evangelicals who want this scenario to happen to be going AGAINST God's will, by trying to intervene in the process by implying that God cannot take care of his own prophecies.

spacebetween
07-13-2007, 12:35 PM
I consider so-called evangelicals who want this scenario to happen to be going AGAINST God's will, by trying to intervene in the process by implying that God cannot take care of his own prophecies.

It defies simple logic, but the idea is so entrenched in some individuals.

IMO, we should not waste resources on those who cannot be convinced. My guess is that most of these "unconvinceables" are older evangelicals. I've noticed on Christian boards that it tends to be the younger people who are more receptive to Ron Paul's message.

Patrick Henry
07-13-2007, 01:49 PM

He won't have a problem with the eveangelicals in general, but he will have a problem with the evangelical pre-trib dispensationalists.

Dr. Paul will probably get the vote from near 99% of those who are in the reformed school, or IOW calvinists. I don't know for sure, but I am willing to bet that he himself is one. If he isn't, his foreign policy ideals are completely in touch with that base. I am part of that base and agree with those ideals. So do all of my reformed brethern of whom I converse with.

BuddyRey
07-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Another Christian sect that would probably gravitate to Ron's message would be The Quakers!

Slugg
07-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Evangelicals need to realize that in the early part of the 1st millenium AD they thought the end times were near! Every generation thinks Jesus will come back in their lifetime, and perhaps tries to interpret current events as such.

I'm sorry but, "expediting the end times" is no excuse for wanting death and destruction - that is evil. If that is going to happen, let it happen in spite of Christians, not because of them. The major logical flaw in the evangelical arguement is that we need to start wars to expedite the end times.... God would be outraged! It was prophesized that this would happen, regardless of what christians do. Christians are commanded to spread love and hope to people before the end time, NOT to help make it come faster by igniting wars! Those wars will come anyways. I consider so-called evangelicals who want this scenario to happen to be going AGAINST God's will, by trying to intervene in the process by implying that God cannot take care of his own prophecies.

Amen

oldpaths1611
07-13-2007, 02:39 PM
He won't have a problem with the eveangelicals in general, but he will have a problem with the evangelical pre-trib dispensationalists.

Dr. Paul will probably get the vote from near 99% of those who are in the reformed school, or IOW calvinists. I don't know for sure, but I am willing to bet that he himself is one. If he isn't, his foreign policy ideals are completely in touch with that base. I am part of that base and agree with those ideals. So do all of my reformed brethern of whom I converse with.

He may have a problem with some "pre-trib dispensationalists," but no more than he will with any other group. I'm one of those dispensationalists, and so are all of my friends. Of those friends, the biggest problem is NOT that they don't support Ron Paul. The problem is that they don't even know who he is. In every case where I've introduced Dr. Paul to a pre-trib friend of mine they've taken to him almost immediately after hearing his message. So don't generalize and assume, because assumptions are usually not correct.

Patrick Henry
07-13-2007, 04:52 PM
He may have a problem with some "pre-trib dispensationalists," but no more than he will with any other group. I'm one of those dispensationalists, and so are all of my friends. Of those friends, the biggest problem is NOT that they don't support Ron Paul. The problem is that they don't even know who he is. In every case where I've introduced Dr. Paul to a pre-trib friend of mine they've taken to him almost immediately after hearing his message. So don't generalize and assume, because assumptions are usually not correct.

I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else for that matter. I was just speaking from what I have seen from my own family and most of all the others I have talked to who happen to be pre-trib dispensationalists. I am glad not all feel that way.

oldpaths1611
07-13-2007, 05:02 PM
I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else for that matter. I was just speaking from what I have seen from my own family and most of all the others I have talked to who happen to be pre-trib dispensationalists. I am glad not all feel that way.

No offense taken. Dispensationalists are just like anone else. There are those among us that can be spoken to and reasoned with and there are those among us that cannot. I'm sure you'd say the same for the reformed camp. The best thing to do is take every case as it comes and treat every person as an individual rather than labeling someone and thereby prejudging them.

Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

Psalm 119:165

ButchHowdy
07-13-2007, 06:52 PM
No offense taken. Dispensationalists are just like anone else. There are those among us that can be spoken to and reasoned with and there are those among us that cannot. I'm sure you'd say the same for the reformed camp. The best thing to do is take every case as it comes and treat every person as an individual rather than labeling someone and thereby prejudging them.

Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

Psalm 119:165

The rapture doctrine was the first card to fall for me as it never seemed to fit God's M.O. In addition, modern Israel seemed to fit the description of Judas more than one of the beloved apostles.

The reason I chose to quote you is that Psalm 119:165 is only 5 verses from the key that unlocks the entire scripture - Verse 160 that says the SUM of Your word is truth.

This means one needs more than one scripture (an additional witness) to establish a truth or form a doctrine which is what the felon Cyrus Scofield failed to do as he corrupted scripture with his random commentary that found its way into millions of homes and seminaries.