PDA

View Full Version : Important - California Voter Registration

Brian4Liberty
07-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Important news about the California Presidential Primary elections in February:

According to the current rules set by the California Republican party, only registered Republicans can vote in the California Republican Presidential Primary Race. If you want to vote for Ron Paul in California, you must be registered as a Republican in California before the Primary.

Background:

The reason this is an issue in California is that we currently have a "Modified Closed Primary System". It used to be an "Open Primary" system. There have been changes over the years to these systems.

This has created much confusion among California voters.

Many California residents believe that if they register as "Decline to State", they can vote in any Party. Some people believe that if they are registered in one Party, that they can request (and vote) on a different parties ballot. This is not always true.

In the upcoming February California Primary Election, only those registered as Republicans will be able to vote for Ron Paul.

---

To register to vote in California:

http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/elections_vr.htm

---

References:

http://www.cagop.org/index.cfm/about_party_bylaws.htm

CA GOP (CRP) Bylaws, in Article VI, Section 6.01(A) states:

"The selection of Presidential Nominating Convention Delegates to the Republican National Convention...shall be chosen by the Presidential Candidate who obtained the plurality of Republican votes within each Congressional District."

http://ca.lwv.org/lwvc/edfund/elections/e3primary.html

League of Women Voters of California website:

"The Democratic Party and the Republican party will not permit unaffiliated voters to vote for their county central committees. Also, the Republican Party will not let unaffiliated voters select a presidential candidate."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070310/news_1n10primary.html

From a San Diego Newspaper Article:

"...a Republican Party bylaw restricts the selection of national convention delegates, which is actually what are chosen in presidential primaries, to registered party members.

The next opportunity for consideration of a bylaw change is the California Republican Party's statewide convention in September, three months after the deadline for state parties to submit their delegate-selection rules to the Republican National Committee."

---

And via phone, the CA Rep Party stated that only registered Republicans will be able to vote in the upcoming Presidential Primary.

Paul4Prez
08-09-2007, 09:38 PM
According to the current rules set by the California Republican party, only registered Republicans can vote in the California Republican Presidential Primary Race. If you want to vote for Ron Paul in California, you must be registered as a Republican in California before the Primary.

What's the deadline for registering to vote? The primary is on February 5th.

We need to have a big publicity and voter registration drive, timed for the maximum impact.

Jason Sallee
08-27-2007, 07:30 PM
If the California GOP decides to let "Decline to State" voters vote in the Republican primary, are those votes considered in the selection of delegates?

As far as I know, the GOP has to make that decision by September 15th.

I want to make sure that what I put on some flyers is correct before I start passing them out.

Jason

PrimarilyPaul
08-28-2007, 09:26 PM

Woodchuck
09-06-2007, 11:26 AM
In the upcoming February California Primary Election, only those registered as Republicans will be able to vote for Ron Paul.

If I register Republican to vote for Ron Paul in the Primaries and he does not win the nomination, would I be able to re-register as a Democrat to vote in the General Election?

klamath
09-06-2007, 11:41 AM
If I register Republican to vote for Ron Paul in the Primaries and he does not win the nomination, would I be able to re-register as a Democrat to vote in the General Election?

I don't know if you can reregister but you can vote democratic in the general election as a Republican.

Woodchuck
09-06-2007, 02:21 PM
I don't know if you can reregister but you can vote democratic in the general election as a Republican.
Thanks for the clarification! That will work ;)

Woodchuck

Brian4Liberty
09-07-2007, 02:10 PM

Yes, I believe you would have time to re-register after the Primary. And like another person said, in the general election, it doesn't matter and you can vote for anybody.

Brian4Liberty
09-07-2007, 02:17 PM
If the California GOP decides to let "Decline to State" voters vote in the Republican primary, are those votes considered in the selection of delegates?

As far as I know, the GOP has to make that decision by September 15th.

I want to make sure that what I put on some flyers is correct before I start passing them out.

Jason

That really isn't an open question anymore. The California GOP has already decided that only registered Republicans can vote in their Primary.

The only way to vote for Ron Paul in the Primary in California is to register as a Republican.

Check out this link for other States:

http://www.fairvote.org/?page=1801

Brian4Liberty
10-07-2007, 07:18 PM
bump