PDA

View Full Version : Internet radio silenced :'(

DjLoTi
07-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Internet radio has been a big part of my life. You can simply not find unique music outside of the internet. Music on the TV and the common radio is NOT the music I like. I don't hear any underground German trip-hop or nu-jazz on my radio. I don't hear any turntablism from France... or even LA for that matter.

Because of internet radio, I have friends in Europe. I have been to Europe. I have experienced live on a whole different level. It could be said that internet radio has had one of the biggest impacts on my life out of almost any technology.

I'm not sure how people perceive this. Internet radio is a baby. The technology is breathtakingly young. The American lawmakers are slowing the progression of technology. Very unrightfully so I might add.

The story of my life is reason enough never to legislate away internet radio. We are approaching a dangerous closeness with control of the internet. This is not much different then the 1984 controlled TV. We are going into dangerous territory.

After writing this, I found a contradicting article. I really don't know what's true.

It's gone: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/12/AR2007071202169.html?referrer=email

It's not gone: http://blog.wired.com/music/2007/07/breaking-news-o.html

BuddyRey
07-13-2007, 10:31 AM
I too have had my life immeasurably enriched by internet radio (I even wanted to be a DJ once, but the technological aspects seemed too confusing). If this is true, it's very sad news. It's bad enough that ClearChannel is buying every good radio station in the country and switching them onto bland, homogenous pop spew (God, how I miss 1530 WSAI in Cincinnati), or uninformed neocon or fake liberal talk programs, but now they're going to take away the one free outlet we have to discover GENUINE art. This sickens me.

mdh
07-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Internet radio has been a big part of my life. You can simply not find unique music outside of the internet. Music on the TV and the common radio is NOT the music I like. I don't hear any underground German trip-hop or nu-jazz on my radio. I don't hear any turntablism from France... or even LA for that matter.

Because of internet radio, I have friends in Europe. I have been to Europe. I have experienced live on a whole different level. It could be said that internet radio has had one of the biggest impacts on my life out of almost any technology.

I'm not sure how people perceive this. Internet radio is a baby. The technology is breathtakingly young. The American lawmakers are slowing the progression of technology. Very unrightfully so I might add.

The story of my life is reason enough never to legislate away internet radio. We are approaching a dangerous closeness with control of the internet. This is not much different then the 1984 controlled TV. We are going into dangerous territory.

After writing this, I found a contradicting article. I really don't know what's true.

It's gone: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/12/AR2007071202169.html?referrer=email

It's not gone: http://blog.wired.com/music/2007/07/breaking-news-o.html

Netradio is fun, easy to roll out, and an awesome forum for music that would not find an audience elsewhere. Welcome to corporatist america, man. RIAA may as well vote in theis legislation themselves - they write plenty of it!

winston84
07-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Not completely gone yet...

http://www.kurthanson.com/archive/news/071307/index.shtml

giskard
07-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Net radio's executioner halts ax in midair
By JOHN MURRELL

This hearkens back to those dramatic serials in the early days of radio in which the protagonist was left in peril at the end of each episode, only to escape the next week and battle against new threats. Seemingly out of chances to block Sunday's imposition of crushing new royalty fees, thousands of Internet radio broadcasters, large and small, looked to be on the verge of shutting down or scaling way back (see "Weekend forecast: sunny Saturday, Internet radio doomsday Sunday"). Late Thursday, a reprieve came from the only entity able to offer one -- SoundExchange. The licensing body said it would not begin collecting the new fees Sunday and would hold off while negotiations continue. Wired reports that the talks have already cleared one contentious issue off the table, at least for now -- the minimum charge of $6,000 per channel required under a scheme created by the Copyright Royalty Board. With the large webcasters streaming thousands of personalized "channels," the fee would cost them millions.

Even though Net radio remains on the razor's edge, subject to the good graces of SoundExchange, webcasters were encouraged by the development. "It was getting pretty close," said Tim Westergreen, founder of popular service Pandora. "I always had underlying optimism that sanity was going to prevail, but I was beginning to wonder." And while crediting consumer outcry for SoundExchange's new flexibility, SaveNetRadio.org is still hoping for a legislative solution to ensure the continued health of the medium.

DjLoTi
07-13-2007, 02:20 PM
I wonder, who died and made SoundExchange ruler of the internet?

Fucking ... fucking... fucking...

constituent
07-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Man call me crazy, but I thought internet radio died when we all had to stop our live streams... did i imagine that happening?

mdh
07-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Man call me crazy, but I thought internet radio died when we all had to stop our live streams... did i imagine that happening?

Stop our live streams?

constituent
07-13-2007, 02:35 PM
well, without paying for licensed material... this was years ago now.