PDA

View Full Version : Can the Iowa college kids legally vote?

curtisag
12-31-2007, 09:27 PM
I recall some election official complaining about the prospect of students voting in Iowa from out of state. How does this work?

maiki
12-31-2007, 09:36 PM
If you change your voter's registration you can vote. If you have some document proving residency in a state then you can change your voter's registration to that state normally.

curtisag
12-31-2007, 09:40 PM
School documents should be enough. I hope all the college kids are gearing up for the caucus. That's one of our strongest bases of support.

bbachtung
12-31-2007, 09:56 PM
Over 80% of 4 year college students in Iowa (non-community college students) are Iowa natives, meaning that they aren't leaving the state during winter break.

Ron Paul Fan
12-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Out of staters attending an Iowa college are eligible to vote in the Iowa Caucus, but they may not vote in their home state primary or caucus if they do so. Iowa residents who are college students of course can vote and I hope they turn out in droves on Thursday night! We need them!

newmedia4ron
01-01-2008, 01:32 PM
will somebody who knows their Iowa voting get to the bottom of this please! this could be huge.

Psyclone
01-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Yes, out of state college students can vote in the Iowa Caucuses if they bring an ID that shows they live in the precinct they are voting in during the school year. Iowa State University is opening up a dorm during the break so any out of state students who want to return for the caucus may do so. I am the Iowa College Coordinator for the Ron Paul campaign so I know whereof I speak on this issue.