PDA

View Full Version : The Black Community

sifupaul
05-13-2007, 09:04 PM
I strongly feel that the moral redemption of this Nation and the spiritual redemption of the oppressed people of this Nation (of every color) will go hand and hand. With that said, the black community is just waiting to hear Ron Paul's righteous message. (Righteous: 1 : acting in accord with divine or moral law : free from guilt or sin 2 a : morally right or justifiable <a righteous decision> b : arising from an outraged sense of justice or morality <righteous indignation> synonym see MORAL.)

I heard a black leader by the name of Rev. Joseph Lowry once say, "the Democratic party takes us for granted and the Republican party just takes us!" How true that statement is. I am convinced that when the true black leaders (and I don't mean ol' Jesse and Al, either) hear where Ron Paul is coming from and they see that he's for real, it will resonate in a very real and powerful way.

I have emailed the Tavis Smiley numerous times about Ron Paul and I would urge you guys to do the same. If you don't know about Tavis, he's like the black Charlie Rose. All due respect to Tavis though; he's earned a great deal of respect and he's behind some great community work, as well. I would also recommend Dr. Cornel West of Princeton University and Cynthia McKinney, former Congresswoman out of Georgia. It has to be people who have respect in the black community.

And believe me... Obama don't have it! Not for 1 second!

Power to the People!
http://www.tavistalks.com/contact
tavis@tavistalks.com
sstephens@tavistalks.com
hwilliamson@tavistalks.com
kmarkham@tavistalks.com
mokelly@tavistalks.com

mesler
05-14-2007, 12:42 AM
I hope you're right. I wondered how his civil war comments on Maher would be received by the black community at large, do you have any thoughts on that one?

jimmyjamsslo
05-14-2007, 01:31 AM
I have been a fan of Bill Maher for years, but the way he treated Ron Paul was despicable. I found a couple quotes from the rep. who is competing against Dr. Paul in his Texan 14th district, Shane Sklar:

http://www.fortbendnow.com/opinion/2027/paul-votes-with-libertarian-contributors-not-texas-voters

that make Dr. Paul seem somewhat bigoted in an oblique manner.

quote:

"If you have ever been robbed by a black teen-aged male, you know how unbelievably-fleet-footed they can be." [Victoria Advocate, 5/24/96]

"I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city (DC)are semi-criminal or entirely criminal." [Victoria Advocate, 5/24/96]

"Opinion polls consistently show that only about 5 percent of blacks have sensible political opinions," [Victoria Advocate, 5/24/96]

"The Criminals who terrorize our cities - in riots and on every non-riot day - are not exclusively young black males, but they largely are. As children they are trained to hate whites, to believe that white oppression is responsible for all black ills, to fight the power, to steal and loot as much money from the white enemy as possible. Anything is justified against The Man." [Victoria Advocate, 8/7/96]

I hope this isn't the case. If so, Dr. Paul will have to own up to these comments and/or apologize. I couldn't find these articles at 'Victoria Advocate' where they were supposedly published, so I can't gauge the context or the veracity of these quotes. However, I think he was quite clear on the Maher show that he felt slavery could have been solved without war, and that other civilized countries have solved their slavery problem without war. I think that would appeal to liberals! I was amazed that Bill Maher spun this, and D.L. Hugley took it and ran with it, as well! I guess the left is as guilty of wagging the dog as the right is, sometimes, and I lean to the left, though lately I've come to suspect that I might be a moderate libertarian.

Jimmy

JoshLowry
05-14-2007, 02:07 AM
Did a little bit of searching. Looks like some of the quotes were published in one of his newsletters with his name on it. He denies that the words were written by him. Probably something he is going to have to deny or apologize for again.

This is from an October 2001 issue of Texas Monthly regarding those statements:

"He denied any racist intent. What made the statements in the publication even more puzzling was that, in four terms as a U. S. congressman and one presidential race, Paul had never uttered anything remotely like this. When I ask him why, he pauses for a moment, then says, "I could never say this in the campaign, but those words weren't really written by me. It wasn't my language at all. Other people help me with my newsletter as I travel around."

http://www.texasmonthly.com/preview/2001-10-01/feature7

giskard
05-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Can we have some talking points as to why Ron Paul has the interests of the black community, and other minorities, at heart, better than Obama does?

Gee
05-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Can we have some talking points as to why Ron Paul has the interests of the black community, and other minorities, at heart, better than Obama does?
I think thats pretty simple. Protection of individual liberties helps everyone regardless of their status in a minority or majority group, and is inherently non-racist. Racism, whether positive (e.g., "whites are superior") or negative (e.g., "blacks are inferior"), stems from categorizing people. Treating everyone as an individual ignores his or her race or gender.

Of course, I'm sure Dr. Paul would be against any federal "loot" for minority groups, such as affirmative action, which may hurt him. Regardless of the soundness of Dr. Paul's positions, people want loot. And though the free market is a natural meritocracy (which destroys racism by its very nature), it could be argued that cultural biases are too long-lived, and that government action can speed along the process of ushering a minority into equal footing with the rest of America.

Regarding the Civil War, what might have happened if slavery was ended peacefully? Would the civil rights of blacks be as hard-won if the south had not forced them to release their slaves by brute force?

Vjklander
05-14-2007, 11:57 AM
"The smallest minority on earth is the individual" - Rand

The problem with Ron Paul dealing with the "Black community" is he shouldn't be dealing with the "Black community". He should be dealing with each person as an individual regardless of race, sex, etc.

Ron could say something like "It is about time in America to stop pigeonholing and categorizing people by WHAT they are and start respecting people for WHO they are. My message is meant for the individual, for a person of any race, any sex, any heritage. I flat refuse to spin my message for this group or that group."

The one thing Ron eally needs to work on is how to take any question or topic and work the answer into HIS message. Ron got burned by Maher because he let Maher trap him. When asked about the Civil War, Ron could have said something like "I'd love to come back and discuss the intricacies of history with you at a later date, but lets talk about the issues of today and my candidacy for President ... spiel....."

ModeratorTest
05-14-2007, 12:00 PM
The one thing Ron eally needs to work on is how to take any question or topic and work the answer into HIS message. Ron got burned by Maher because he let Maher trap him.

I think you got it backwards. Maher trys to burn him by coming up with off the wall questions, but Ron handles himself excellently and does work a few of his viewpoints in.

Watch it again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo6KIusCBoU

You are right though, Maher wasted RP's air time to talk about the real issues.

mesler
05-14-2007, 01:42 PM
I was flabbergasted by Maher's silly questions, however, Paul held his own very well and come out looking more educated and informed than Maher.

mesler
05-14-2007, 01:45 PM
"The smallest minority on earth is the individual" - Rand

The problem with Ron Paul dealing with the "Black community" is he shouldn't be dealing with the "Black community". He should be dealing with each person as an individual regardless of race, sex, etc.

Ron could say something like "It is about time in America to stop pigeonholing and categorizing people by WHAT they are and start respecting people for WHO they are. My message is meant for the individual, for a person of any race, any sex, any heritage. I flat refuse to spin my message for this group or that group."

The one thing Ron eally needs to work on is how to take any question or topic and work the answer into HIS message. Ron got burned by Maher because he let Maher trap him. When asked about the Civil War, Ron could have said something like "I'd love to come back and discuss the intricacies of history with you at a later date, but lets talk about the issues of today and my candidacy for President ... spiel....."

I thought it was commendable that he answered it, it's what sets him apart from other politicians. I've even had at least one person say that he only became interested in Paul after watching that exchange between Maher and Paul.

jimmyjamsslo
05-14-2007, 06:57 PM
i had tried searching for that info on those comments, to no avail. this site is already proving to be highly useful! cheers :cool:

MsDoodahs
05-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Here is a recent article by Dr. Paul. It is titled, "Government and Racism."

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul381.html

propanes
05-14-2007, 11:58 PM
A good article. Glad to have read it. Thanks

tnvoter
05-18-2007, 10:59 PM
personally, i'm a big fan of TD Jakes.

as some friends of mine have said though, can't listen to him at night, he'll keep you awake!

Exponent
05-18-2007, 11:24 PM
i had tried searching for that info on those comments, to no avail. this site is already proving to be highly useful! cheers :cool:
To expand on what Josh Lowry quoted, I had a post a few days back, located here (http://ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=2187&postcount=9), with some more quoting.

mdh
05-19-2007, 09:25 AM
A few quick facts for black voters:

The Democratic party opposed equal rights for blacks following the civil war. Abe Lincoln was a Republican.

Liberals/progressives don't see affirmative action as being a 'helping hand', they see it as a way of maintaining their own superiority by getting people to admit that they are inferior and hence need extra help. They don't think black folks can compete fairly due to their perceptions of the inferiority of the black race.

Want a genuinely bright conservative black politician to look at? Michael Steele from MD. I've met him personally, and I hope that young black folks can see him as an inspiration.

Poor white folks get the same shit from cops and other authority figures as poor black folks do - you just don't hear about it as much, because the liberal media doesn't consider white folks to be poor oppressed puppies in need their coddling the way they see poor black folks. (I grew up in Baltimore. Seriously.)

Brandybuck
05-19-2007, 11:20 AM
There used to be this idea of the White Man's Burden. Those poor Africans, the idea went, they aren't as intelligent as we white men, so we must go help them out. It's compassionate racism, but racism nonetheless. It may be the single most important factor in why the continent of Africa remains mired in warfare, corruption and extreme poverty. Africa was hardly alone though, the white man was "compassionate" to the Philipines, India, Latin America, etc.

But this idea is not dead! It lives on the modern Democrat party, with significant blocs of adherents in the Republican and Green parties as well. Those poor blacks, the idea goes, they were so abused in the past that they are unable to excel on their own. Over and over again blacks are being told by white liberal politicians that they are too stupid to accomplish anything on their own. It's disgusting. White conservative politicians are doing the same with regards to Arabs: they're too stupid to figure out democracy on their own, so we'll impose it on them by force.

The only help the black man needs from the white politician, is for the cracker to get off the back of the brother!

aravoth
05-19-2007, 11:34 AM
"Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views humans strictly as members of groups rather than individuals. Racists believe that all individuals who share superficial physical characteristics are alike: as collectivists, racists think only in terms of groups. By encouraging Americans to adopt a group mentality, the advocates of so-called "diversity" actually perpetuate racism. Their obsession with racial group identity is inherently racist.....

The true antidote to racism is liberty. Liberty means having a limited, constitutional government devoted to the protection of individual rights rather than group claims. Liberty means free-market capitalism, which rewards individual achievement and competence, not skin color, gender, or ethnicity. "

- Crongessman Ron paul

mdh
05-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Only in anonymity can such divisiveness only occur based on genuine intellectual and ideological critera. http://tor.eff.org/