PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Signs Illegally Placed in Riv, CA

ghemminger
12-31-2007, 08:25 PM
Subject: Campaign Signs Illegally Placed in Riverside, CA
http://app.campaignerpro.com/accountsmedia/4472/logo-2b.jpg

December 31, 2007
The City of Riverside, CA, reports that signs are being illegally placed in numerous locations throughout the city. The city attorney's office has contacted the campaign and advised the campaign that fines will be imposed upon the campaign for such acts. Please remember that campaign materials should never be placed on private property without the permission of the property owner and, because certain state and local laws limit the placement of campaign materials on public property, please research local restrictions before placing campaign materials on public property or rights-of-way.
Joseph F. Becker
Chief Legal Advisor and Policy Director
Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign Committee

http://www.riversideca.gov/attorney/

Jeremy
12-31-2007, 08:26 PM
Wow.... Way not to think whoever put those there!

ghemminger
12-31-2007, 08:26 PM
Hello,

I Just Got Finished With A 20 Minute Conversation With The Riverside City Attorney. He Advised Me That The Ron Paul Campaign Has Been Fined Nearly $5000 For A Proliferation Of Campaign Signs Illegally Posted In The Riverside City Limits. No More Signs Should Be Posted On Public Property. Signs On Private Property Should Only Be Posted With Owner's Permission.

When The City Takes Down A Paul Sign In The Future, They Will Just Add This To The Number Of Illegal Signs For Which They Will Hold The Paul Campaign Personally Responsible.

The Paul Campaign Can Fight This In Court Or Ignore It. Which Option Do You Think Ron Paul Will Take? I Think He Will Pay The Fines.

The City Attorney Told Me That This Is Not A Warning. The Assessments Have Already Been Sent To The Campaign Hq.

What Value The Signs Have Been Is Questionable, But We Need To Adjust Tactics And Venues For Putting Up Signs. I Continue To Believe That Other Strategies Are Now More Valuable. Sign Waving At Overpasses Is Still A Great Idea. Just Take The Signs Home And Use Them Again.

Thank,

Kirk

OptionsTrader
12-31-2007, 08:27 PM
Hello,

I Just Got Finished With A 20 Minute Conversation With The Riverside City Attorney. He Advised Me That The Ron Paul Campaign Has Been Fined Nearly $5000 For A Proliferation Of Campaign Signs Illegally Posted In The Riverside City Limits. No More Signs Should Be Posted On Public Property. Signs On Private Property Should Only Be Posted With Owner's Permission.

When The City Takes Down A Paul Sign In The Future, They Will Just Add This To The Number Of Illegal Signs For Which They Will Hold The Paul Campaign Personally Responsible.

The Paul Campaign Can Fight This In Court Or Ignore It. Which Option Do You Think Ron Paul Will Take? I Think He Will Pay The Fines.

The City Attorney Told Me That This Is Not A Warning. The Assessments Have Already Been Sent To The Campaign Hq.

What Value The Signs Have Been Is Questionable, But We Need To Adjust Tactics And Venues For Putting Up Signs. I Continue To Believe That Other Strategies Are Now More Valuable. Sign Waving At Overpasses Is Still A Great Idea. Just Take The Signs Home And Use Them Again.

Thank,

Kirk

What is to keep me from posting Rudy sings all over the nation to get him fined?

Joe3113
Hello,

Thank,

Kirk

THIS IS F*CKING TYRANNY AT ITS WORST

HOW THE F*CK CAN THE CAMPAIGN CONTROL THIS :mad: :mad: :mad:

susano
Yes, people should be careful, HOWEVER, I don't believe the city atty can fine the campaign for what an indivudual does. You cannot charge some other party with the offense of another.

Joe3113
12-31-2007, 08:28 PM
What is to keep me from posting 1 million Rudy sings all over the nation to get him fined?

+1000000000000000

Jeremy
12-31-2007, 08:28 PM
They should fight it in court. What if I got a bunch of Romney signs and put them all over the place? Romney would then get blamed for something that had nothing to do with him.

OptionsTrader
12-31-2007, 08:29 PM
They should fight it in court. What if I got a bunch of Romney signs and put them all over the place? Romney would then get blamed for something that had nothing to do with him.

+ ∞

JohnnyWrath
12-31-2007, 08:30 PM
What is to keep me from posting Rudy sings all over the nation to get him fined?

that's the first thing I thought....what a retarded law. People could get a campaign fined like mad they did NOT support.

LibertyEagle
12-31-2007, 08:31 PM

Class?

susano
12-31-2007, 08:32 PM
This is bullshit. The city atty can make any claims he wants and it doesn't mean squat. A person has to be caught in the act to be fined. HQ will probably tell them the same thing. Now, where are my Hillary signs.......

:D

LibertyEagle
12-31-2007, 08:32 PM
Subject: Campaign Signs Illegally Placed in Riverside, CA
http://app.campaignerpro.com/accountsmedia/4472/logo-2b.jpg

December 31, 2007
The City of Riverside, CA, reports that signs are being illegally placed in numerous locations throughout the city. The city attorney's office has contacted the campaign and advised the campaign that fines will be imposed upon the campaign for such acts. Please remember that campaign materials should never be placed on private property without the permission of the property owner and, because certain state and local laws limit the placement of campaign materials on public property, please research local restrictions before placing campaign materials on public property or rights-of-way.
Joseph F. Becker
Chief Legal Advisor and Policy Director
Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign Committee

http://www.riversideca.gov/attorney/

I'm taking it that the campaign sent this out the Meetup groups in the area, right?

Paulbot_9876
12-31-2007, 08:33 PM
dont use campaign original signs then.....use your own home made ones.....then they cant fine the hq then, because they are not their official signs....

Myerz
Test out the theory....??? If they don't threaten Mitt with fines then you have exposed them of being biased.....and you can call them on it!

phixion
This is a sick money making racket.

They can never prove it was the campaign who placed the signs there, nor can they prove any specific individual did.

Pete

susano
12-31-2007, 08:35 PM
dont use campaign original signs then.....use your own home made ones.....then they cant fine the hq then, because they are not their official signs....

They cannot fine a campaign for the actions of an individual. It's absurd. Legal council should tell Riverside to keep dreaming.

mexicanpizza
Hello,

Thank,

Kirk

At 6pm on New Years Eve? Unless he happens to be a personal friend, I'm throwing up the BS flag here. The fact that you posted with capslock on doesn't help your case either.

Benaiah

+1

Jeremy
12-31-2007, 08:36 PM
I hope the campaign doesn't decide to give them the money just because they can afford it. Thank about it... that's 5k of OUR money that the town steals.

ghemminger
12-31-2007, 08:37 PM
At 6pm on New Years Eve? Unless he happens to be a personal friend, I'm throwing up the BS flag here. The fact that you posted with capslock on doesn't help your case either.

This is our Meetup Organizer....

ItsTime
12-31-2007, 08:37 PM
Or say someone with less money....

Jeremy
12-31-2007, 08:38 PM
Please do not take this! We will not have our money stolen! This is not just CA's campaign money, but the entire Paul campaign's money... our money!

susano
12-31-2007, 08:38 PM
Do they fine the Crips and the Bloods for graffiti, LOL?! Or punk bands when people stick up there concert posters? Come on.

These assholes will say anything to collect revenue. The campaign is not stupid to pay any such bogus fines.

JohnnyWrath
12-31-2007, 08:39 PM
I suppose if I throw a McDonalds cup out my window there, they will fine McDonalds???

Ninja Homer
12-31-2007, 08:40 PM
What happens if you put "City of Riverside" signs up all over?

My guess is there would be a massive implosion of confusion, followed by a loud whooshing sound from brains trying to think that haven't been used in years. :D

Jeremy
I suppose if I throw a McDonalds cup out my window there, they will fine McDonalds???

This is so true!

phixion
They better not pay, this is stupid.

Some nasty individual could bankrupt poor Alan Keyes by doing this.

I say give the city's attorney office hell...

Pete

susano
12-31-2007, 08:42 PM
I hope the campaign doesn't decide to give them the money just because they can afford it. Thank about it... that's 5k of OUR money that the town steals.

They won't. It's BS.

Jeremy
This sounds like such classic whining... don't take it!

susano

Exactly.

Come on, people, you'd have to be brain damaged to believe this!

Joe3113
12-31-2007, 08:43 PM
Why don't they fine McDonalds for all the big mac wrappers littered everywhere.....F#CKING BOGUS!! :mad:

ladyliberty
12-31-2007, 08:45 PM
Check with your county supervisor of elections and OBEY the ordinances - that is what we should do.

JojobaJunebug
12-31-2007, 08:46 PM
Cool down folks. Sometimes you just have to acknowledge when you're out-gunned.

Facts:
Members of the Riverside meetup have posted about putting up signs illegally. This is hard evidence that people with a connection (so to speak) are guilty.

Ron Paul can rightly say he didn't tell them to do it, but if his name is on any of the stuff the law can hold him accountable. That means the law allows them to issue the fines.

Ron has got more important things to do that go to court over this.

susano
12-31-2007, 08:48 PM
What happens if you put "City of Riverside" signs up all over?

My guess is there would be a massive implosion of confusion, followed by a loud whooshing sound from brains trying to think that haven't been used in years. :D

hahaha!!!

We'll sic these guys on 'em -
http://www.freewayblogger.com/

http://www.freewayblogger.com/index_files/crenshaw10.jpg

Paul4Prez
12-31-2007, 08:50 PM
Hello,

No More Signs Should Be Posted On Public Property. Signs On Private Property Should Only Be Posted With Owner's Permission.

Okay, no signs on private property without permission is obvious.

But how can they ban signs from public property? This is done all over the country during campaign season, by every campaign that has any support.

What are the rules in Riverside?

davidt!
12-31-2007, 08:51 PM
Sounds illegal to fine the campaign to me.

born2drv
I don't think it matters one way or the other, I mean $5000 to have a bunch of signs all over the city even for a day is worth it in my opinion, I don't see this negatively affecting the Paul campaign, not that I'm advising we do so of course.

Maybe we should try another tactic.... instead of "Vote Ron Paul" we could put:

"Romney is a Flip Flopper"
"Guiliani is a ****"
"Huckabee is a Fascist"
"Fred Who?"

I'd like to see them fine Ron Paul for that ;)

susano
Cool down folks. Sometimes you just have to acknowledge when you're out-gunned.

Facts:
Members of the Riverside meetup have posted about putting up signs illegally. This is hard evidence that people with a connection (so to speak) are guilty.

Ron Paul can rightly say he didn't tell them to do it, but if his name is on any of the stuff the law can hold him accountable. That means the law allows them to issue the fines.

Ron has got more important things to do that go to court over this.

FACT: You cannot charge one entity with a crime committed by someone else (of unknown origin, no less).

If the Riverside city atty even implied such a thing, he's pulled it out straight out of his ass.

t3rmin
12-31-2007, 08:53 PM
There must be some confusion. Are you sure you don't mean Riverside, Soviet Russia or Riverside, Nazi Germany?

I've never heard of anything so absurd. The official campaign states clearly that signs should never be placed illegally or without permission. Besides the fact that individuals NOT affiliated with the campaign are placing these of their own volition.

If they have a problem with this they need to get off their butts and catch the individuals doing this.

mwkaufman
12-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Someone get a bunch of John Cox signs, I think he can spend some time on this issue.

t3rmin
12-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Email info for these thugs?

AgentPaul001
12-31-2007, 08:55 PM
How can they charge the campaign simply because Paul's name is on the signs? Bullshit.

It seems like you could print off a bunch of McCain or Romney signs and it'd have the same effect?

susano
12-31-2007, 08:55 PM
There must be some confusion. Are you sure you don't mean Riverside, Soviet Russia or Riverside, Nazi Germany?

I've never heard of anything so absurd. The official campaign states clearly that signs should never be placed illegally or without permission. Besides the fact that individuals NOT affiliated with the campaign are placing these of their own volition.

If they have a problem with this they need to get off their butts and catch the individuals doing this.

There ya go. They either catch a person in the act, or not. If they don't, then nothing comes of it, period, end.