PDA

View Full Version : Do you have the right to be stupid?

eldeeder
12-31-2007, 04:51 PM
Its a serious question. Do you have the right to be stupid? I dont think learning should be forced, but at the same time, a democracy cant function on apathy.. Any thoughts?

homeboyjase
12-31-2007, 04:52 PM
I wouldn't know, ask on huck's board. ;)

On a serious note, I think everyone has the right to their own stupidity.

If everyone has the right to learn, then I think everyone has the right not to learn.

Original_Intent
12-31-2007, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't know, ask on huck's board. ;)

On a serious note, I think everyone has the right to their own stupidity.

touche.

shasshas
12-31-2007, 04:53 PM
Yes VERY

forsmant
12-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Life is learning

Cigaboo
12-31-2007, 05:04 PM
I think another question should be - Does public education make you smarter or stupider in some ways? I've been through 4 years in college, and a lot of stupidity has been espoused by teachers/professors. To pass exams, you have to at least pretend like you agree with them.

nate895
12-31-2007, 05:08 PM
I think another question should be - Does public education make you smarter or stupider in some ways? I've been through 4 years in college, and a lot of stupidity has been espoused by teachers/professors. To pass exams, you have to at least pretend like you agree with them.

Here in High School I enjoy debating my teachers when they try to sell bull to the class, it's really fun. Last year my English teacher tried to say that the Holy Roman Emperor ruled Europe and was based out of Rome, I couldn't help but laugh. That was just one of the many facts I had to correct her on.

Dr.3D
12-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Its a serious question. Do you have the right to be stupid? I dont think learning should be forced, but at the same time, a democracy cant function on apathy.. Any thoughts?

Who wants to live in a democracy?

Mesogen
12-31-2007, 05:15 PM
Who wants to live in a democracy?

Me.

I certainly don't want to live in a place where I have no say at all.

Dr.3D
12-31-2007, 05:17 PM
Me.

I certainly don't want to live in a place where I have no say at all.

So you want to live where the wealthy dictate to the poor what is going to be done?
That is exactly what is happening now.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what is for dinner.

Mesogen
12-31-2007, 05:30 PM
So you want to live where the wealthy dictate to the poor what is going to be done?
That is exactly what is happening now.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what is for dinner.

Then you stay home on primary day.

Kingfisher
12-31-2007, 05:35 PM
Republic!!!!

Dr.3D
12-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Republic!!!!

And just as I was considering staying home. :D

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Is stupid really stupid, or just a different form of intelligence?

davver
12-31-2007, 05:56 PM
Sheeple aren't stupid. They are actually quite rational. Thier vote is one of 100 million. They know it doesn't have a material effect. Therefore it makes much more sense to vote for people who make you feel good rather then someone with good policies. It's called rational voter theory.

Our founders gave us a republic instead of a democracy specifically because they understood rational voter theory.

hamilton1049
12-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Don't confuse stupidity with ignorance

chipvogel
12-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Yes you have the right to be stupid!
I almost did a YouTube to the debates with that question.

I drink and smoke and I'm overweight. I know I'm an idiot.
I thought that whole pursuit of happiness thing covered my right to be stupid, but that right looks like its going to be taken away or at least taxed out of existence.

VoluntaryMan
12-31-2007, 06:06 PM
If there exists a "right" to be trained by the gov't, then how could anyone argue against the right of universal stupidity?

Public Schools: where politicians indoctrinate the next generation of voters.

Paulitician
12-31-2007, 06:51 PM
Do you have the right to be stupid?
Yup.

I dont think learning should be forced
Neither do I, but that doesn't necessarily have something to do with stupidity.

but at the same time, a democracy cant function on apathy.. Any thoughts?
One also has the right not to participate, or much even care, in their own government.

There will always be those, however, who do care and who do participate, or try to bring about change. If you ask me, apathy has never been a problem. I think it's foolish to say "well, we have all these problems because there are so many apathetic people."

Dave Pedersen
12-31-2007, 06:58 PM
Do we have the right to abrogate our duty? What is duty? We have the duty to be informed and engaged. Actually This idea of duty to be vigilant on behalf of the constitution can be construed to be contrary to the exercise of individual freedom. Do we have the right to walk by a crime and do nothing? Do we have the right to fail to assist in an emergency?

Being stupid as a result of free will is deliberate ignorance. Deliberate failure to take responsibility. I think it is inherent in the principle of freedom to be able to deliberately refuse to contribute to the relief of a need. But then this invites a cessation of liberty.

Do we have a right to not bother to eat or breath? Yes.. and so we have freedom to die and freedom to be enslaved and this freedom is irresistible to some who are ruled by curiosity or sloth.

Mesogen
12-31-2007, 07:32 PM
Republic!!!!

Democratic Republic!!!!1!1

Paulitician
12-31-2007, 07:38 PM
More like Constitutional Republic.

Dr.3D
12-31-2007, 07:42 PM
More like Constitutional Republic.

Bingo....