PDA

View Full Version : Romney has no support

Naraku
12-31-2007, 04:04 PM
If there's one thing that has annoyed me it's this idea that somehow Romney actually has supporters, but I refuse to believe this. Romney has no real positions, none. His candidacy has largely been about him spending his own money to get plastered everywhere and changing his positions to those most favorable and most, if not all, voters are aware of this.

I think Romney is nothing but a "fall-back guy" for voters and, in the polls, people are only picking him because they do not want to say they don't know. Romney has no spirited support and no one truly solid for him. I think he will ultimately lose a lot of voters to Huckabee and McCain, ending with him likely in fourth behind Huckabee, Paul and McCain.

His candidacy will sink.

nate895
12-31-2007, 04:47 PM
If there's one thing that has annoyed me it's this idea that somehow Romney actually has supporters, but I refuse to believe this. Romney has no real positions, none. His candidacy has largely been about him spending his own money to get plastered everywhere and changing his positions to those most favorable and most, if not all, voters are aware of this.

I think Romney is nothing but a "fall-back guy" for voters and, in the polls, people are only picking him because they do not want to say they don't know. Romney has no spirited support and no one truly solid for him. I think he will ultimately lose a lot of voters to Huckabee and McCain, ending with him likely in fourth behind Huckabee, Paul and McCain.

His candidacy will sink.

There are 73 people on meetup (35 don't have a group), come on he has got some totally energetic support out there.

jonahtrainer
12-31-2007, 06:07 PM

His candidacy will sink.

He has support. I know lots and have flipped several to Ron Paul. For example, one of my buddies has an MBA in Finance and worked for the LA Federal Reserve. He was a Romney supporter until he saw a conversation on my Facebook I was having with another Romney supporter. He has since maxxed out donations to Ron Paul.

Today, I ate lunch with two Romney supporters. One was a VP for Bank of America. We talked monetary policy. He said the CFO of BoA has been having 'sleepless nights.'

His position is that the US$ will not collapse and even if it does we can force people to take them with guns. Not a very sustainable position in my opinion.

All politics is local. We need to be canvassing and out talking with people.

Nevertheless, we had good hamburgers.

jeff_from_VA
12-31-2007, 06:13 PM
I work with quite a few Romney supporters.

FreedomLover
12-31-2007, 06:27 PM
I've seen a couple Romney bumper sticker in my area. A couple local business leaders have donated the max to romney too.

The support is very soft. You're correct about that...Mitt is selling style more than substance.

Naraku
01-01-2008, 12:49 AM
I'm not saying he has no voters, it's hard for someone to be running a national campaign and not get any. I mean he has no real support in the sense that he is not the front-runner he's made out to be.

Much of his success in the polls and even support comes from his use of money to flood the primary states with political ads so everyone knows him early and the media as well. He also draws a lot of people who feel like they have no candidate and Romney just seems to be the least horrible choice.

I also think his support in the polls is, like I said, due to people who don't really know not wanting to say they don't know.

He may have 10% or under of real support, but I think everything above that outside the Great Plains states is entirely fictional. The people who say they'll vote for him will largely either not show up or vote for someone else.

His biggest problem is that he has absolutely no message. It seems he's not even running on anything and has no real charisma. Altogether I think he's going to do far worse than people think.

katao
01-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Don't underestimate the huge political organization he has bought, in Iowa and elsewhere. He wasn't the CEO of Bain and the 2002 Olympics for nothing... The organization and the "do your civic duty" preaching from Mormon pulpits will bring out the vote in a serious way.

That said, his support is soft, and individuals (even Mormons) are easily persuaded away. But it's got to be an individual effort - all the more reason for us all to be out talking to our neighbors.

Naraku
01-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Having good organization means nothing in the end because many candidates have lost despite having great organization. Someone may be able to correct me but Dean had some of the best organization in Iowa, was ahead in the polls, but ultimately lost.

His supporters simply didn't vote and some simply defected to other candidates. Romney's support isn't even as strong.

Getting people to the voting booth is one thing, getting them to vote for you is another entirely. I don't think Romney can get anyone to really vote for him and his support will evaporates before our eyes. Even the polls indicate many of his voters are not likely to actually vote.