PDA

View Full Version : RP caller dismissed on NPR "On Point"

idrake
07-13-2007, 09:02 AM
While the discussion was on McCain's support for the war and the differences between him and all the other pro war candidates (did you know there are only 3 Republican candidates?), the first caller pointed out that Ron Paul is a viable candidate that offers something different.

Well, Tom Ashbrook, laughed at that and said something like, "while his online polling is good, he gets little support in the 'Scientific' polls." The caller was cut off and they went on trying to find the slight difference between Giuliani's foreign policy and McCain's.

I like Tom's show, but I'm sending him a friendly message about how he's doing his listeners a disservice by dismissing a conversation about the only Republican candidate that stands apart from the crowd.

Remember, he has interviewed Ron Paul and is familiar with his stance on the issues. RP's interview is still on the front page of the onpointradio.org website, so any contact must be cordial!!!

Essentially, I want to remind him that RP's numbers are growing, that he has more cash on hand than McCain, and his many supports are just now joining the Republican party and consist of those consist of former Republicans, Independents, Democrats, and the formally politically uninvolved.

If anyone else would like to email: onpoint@wbur.org

Props to the caller! He did a great job.

idrake
07-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Here's the message I sent:

While listening to today’s discussion on the differences between Giuliani’s foreign policy and that of McCain’s, I thought the first caller’s mention of Ron Paul was thoughtful and contextual. As I’m sure you know (from your recent Ron Paul interview) there are only two different foreign policy choices in the GOP, Ron Paul’s (non-interventionist) and every other candidate’s (status quo).

I think your listeners (myself at the least) are more interested in a real discussion about foreign policy, not just splitting hairs on very similar policies of the so called GOP front runners. I ask you to consider giving more credence to Ron Paul’s campaign and message when discussing the Republican candidates.

Just a quick three reasons why Ron Paul’s candidacy deserves more consideration during discussion:
1) He has more cash on hand than McCain
2) He is bringing new blood to the Republican Party. I was an apathetic Independent and I know many former Democrats now supporting Ron Paul.
3) His support is growing.

Thanks. Love the show!

goldenequity
07-13-2007, 09:56 AM
and mine.....

Tom....

I very much appreciated your interview of Dr. Ron Paul last month
and found his ideas refreshing and thought provoking.
His numbers appear to be growing also which is good because his unique
positions need to be heard above the crowd of same old candidates, same old ideas etc.

Whether he wins is not the issue. I think his influence is important.

I am curious as to why you were so dismissive with a Ron Paul call-in today.
Isn't there still some 500 days left before the general 2008 elections?
Shouldn't a fair and balance approach by the media be extended to all Presidential Candidates?

It was just a little weird as I depend on your show to be truly non partial and enjoy
your perspectives and transparency.

Thanks for listening to me as I listen to you.

Cheers,

Buzz
07-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Citing low poll numbers is nothing but ad hominem in cases like these.

rpf2008
07-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Nothing can stop us now !