PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to start running some 30 min infomercials?

peacemonger
12-31-2007, 02:02 PM
Has anyone seriously explored the possibility of running 30 minute infomercials. I think they must be pretty cheap because some of the products that are sold late at night have very limited advertising budgets. This is not a good way to reach the maximum number of viewers, like you might get from prime-time. But on the other hand, Ron Paul's message about freedom is probably easier to digest in the quiet hours when our minds are free to contemplate grander ideas. Some of these infomercials are very cheap, so we could get nationwide coverage without costing millions. It is an unconventional approach, buy hey... we have an unconventional candidate.

Think of how many millions of people are up late worrying about how they are going to get their bills payed. Think of how many people are up late doing X, Y, and Z. Think of how many people are up late praying that their loved ones are going to make it home safely from the war. Think of how many people are going to up late worrying about the IRS, or the falling dollar, or the erosion of the American Dream.

Perhaps late in the night is the only time people can relax and absorb a message that is antithetical to everything they have been taught. Maybe at night people will think for themselves and not have to worry about somebody else calling them a kook or a conspiracy theorist.

Some of the stupid products that are advertised on these late night infomercials must be viewed by somebody. By my understanding, these late night infomercials are almost solely the domain of innovative entrepreneurs who are trying to make their novel products known on a limited budget. Why not use the same approach for a unique political candidate? I really think this might work. We could call it "Freedom nights" or "Revolution Television" or something cool like that.

For material, we could show some of our better political ads like Aravoth's youtube videos or some of those other really professional looking ads. Then we could try to get some of our endorsers to come on the and discuss issues. Maybe if we could get Andrew Nepolitano, Peter Schiff, Jim Rogers, Adam Curry, Walter Williams (God Bless Him), Michael Scheuer or some other nationally known people to come on and discuss the issues. We could maybe get a musical guest like Aimee Allen or the Sex Pistols. It could become kind of a pop subculture thing which comes on after midnight.

Just an Idea: feel free to criticize. I wish I could develop it further but I have limited knowledge about how much these kinds of infomercials would cost to run them nationwide on cable or satellite. Most of the details are out of my league. I know normal production costs could range from 50-100k but could also be less than that. Getting late-night air time on cable, satellite, or local networks can not be that expensive. This might require a budget of a couple million per month, but it might be worth it if we can get new donors. We have not yet begun to tap the youth vote or the late-night TV viewers. There is a lot more potential out there.

This is definitely a large project. I really think it is something we should consider for 2008. I think we all kind of expect Ron Paul to continue through November no matter what the outcome is from these primaries. This might be the only way to get a video like stop dreaming to be broadcast in its entirety across the nation.

I would especially like to hear comments from anyone with TV experience.

Janet0116
12-31-2007, 02:03 PM
um, isnt the campaign doing this in Iowa already?

peacemonger
12-31-2007, 02:07 PM
I think so, but I'm not sure about what kind of time slot they are using. I know they said that their infomercial was going to air 2 or 3 times. Many of the product infomercials can air 40 or 50 times in multiple markets.

trey4sports
12-31-2007, 02:09 PM
um, isnt the campaign doing this in Iowa already?

yeah, but we need a nat'l campaign of infomercials

peacemonger
12-31-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm think of something like that "natural cures" book infomercial. But with way more style of course.

Yom
12-31-2007, 02:59 PM
Bump.