PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul and the Black Vote

smtwngrl
07-13-2007, 08:58 AM
When I saw the title of the first Ron Paul article listed in Google News this morning, I assumed it was just another flimsy attempt to discredit Dr. Paul. But when I actually read it, I found that it was something different.

The title was "Ron Paul Challenged to Explain Supposedly Racist Remarks in Previous Newsletter". However, the challenge did not come from critics.
http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2007/7/emw539300.htm

"According to TCOOO who usually focus on issues affecting the Black community, they actually have a strong liking for Ron Paul and his polices. TCOOO's mission is to introduce what they believe are great Republican or independent candidates to the Black Community, which in turn they hope will force the Democratic Party to realize that the Black vote cannot and should not be taken for granted.

"TCOOO not only blog at www.rastatravel.com but they also blog on the popular MySpace networking site at www.blog.myspace.com/tcooo. After each Republican debate, they blog about which candidates they found to be the most impressive and would like to see as the next leader of the United States. So far, in TCOOO's opinion, Ron Paul has been the most impressive of all the candidates, both on the Democratic and the Republican sides."

"However, they are not quite ready to be die hard Ron Paul supporters. At least not until Ron Paul can give a clear explanation of some alleged racist remarks that were printed in his newsletter over a decade ago.

"Although Ron Paul has attributed such statements to a ghostwriter for his newsletter, TCOOO believes that he still owes the American people an explanation as nothing should have been printed in his newsletter that he did not approve of."

"TCOOO said they have written to Ron Paul everywhere they can find him on the Internet including his MySpace profile but as yet to get a reply. They are hoping, however, that maybe in the next Republican debate Ron Paul will give a clear and concise explanation of the past alleged negative statements toward the Black Community."

And here's another article from the General Politics forum. Apparently the NAACP invited all Presidential Candidates to participate in a forum--one for the Republican Party Candidates and one for the Democratic Party Candidates. The Democratic one had plenty of candidates participating, but at the one for Republican candidatees, Tom Tancredo was the only one who showed up.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/07/12/tancredo-all-by-himself-at-naacp/

"He walked out, passing empty podiums bearing the names of the other candidates. He peeked around a few of the podiums looking at the names, and playfully lined up behind the wrong one.

“Should we wait a few minutes to see if the other guys show up?” he asked to laughter. “Do they know something I don’t know?”

O.K., we all know Ron Paul is a busy person. We also know he is hard to contact. But I think these are things he needs to know about.

If there's someone who has contact with his campaign, could you relay this to him? With an explanation, the NCOOO might become diehard supporters. And while I'm sure his lack of attendance at the NAACP Forum was due to a conflict in schedule, the absence of all candidates except Tancredo does send a message--one Dr. Paul doesn't want to send.

ChairmanMao
07-13-2007, 09:03 AM
I know some people who can contact Kent or Lou, Ill see if I can get the ball rolling.

smtwngrl
07-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks, ChairmanMao. :)

ChristopherJ
07-13-2007, 09:10 AM
I believe RP's campaign knew about the invitation to the NAACP's event, but couldn't attend because of a schedule conflict. Tom Tancredo got some air time on some of the news outlets because he was the only republican candidate to show up. I think this would have been a nice opportunity for RP if he could/would have taken them up on their offer.

ChairmanMao
07-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Done, some of my friends are going to see if they can get Ron Paul to do an interview with TCOOO. Also you would be correct about a schedule conflict Christopher. He wouldnt of been able to be at google today if he had gone to the NAACP event.

Bradley in DC
07-13-2007, 09:29 AM
--

Bradley in DC
07-13-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm going into the HQ to volunteer this afternoon. No promises, but I'll see what I can do.

For the record Dr. Paul and Mrs. Kilpatrick (D-MI), now head of the Congressional Black Caucus, get along swimmingly and have co-authored legislation together: the Church Protection Act which limited Federal funds for use for eminent domain to take over churches in a hostile way. The issue came to us because the NY LP was aided a black church being evicted for a blatant attempt at "Negro removal" (as SC Justice Clarance Thomas later put it). The bill was later drafted as an amendment and passed on the House floor but died in the Senate.

He has also with with several other members of that causus on drug-war related issues, housing issues, military war questions, etc.

specsaregood
07-13-2007, 09:48 AM
If there's someone who has contact with his campaign, could you relay this to him? With an explanation, the NCOOO might become diehard supporters. And while I'm sure his lack of attendance at the NAACP Forum was due to a conflict in schedule, the absence of all candidates except Tancredo does send a message--one Dr. Paul doesn't want to send.

Feel free to call them yourself. I have called a few times. I called a couple days ago about the NAACP event when I first read the news article and posted the response here. "Scheduling Conflict His day today was completely booked up and there was no way for him to be in Detroit Thursday and Cali Friday"

Also,I asked and they said he had NO objections to participating in an NAACP event and that the campaign has a few invitations to other NAACP events which they are deciding which they can attend.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=6455

But seriously, feel free to call them yourself. Ron Paul has said, "You are the campaign" you == US.
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/contact/

DeadheadForPaul
07-13-2007, 09:50 AM
What do you guys think about the newsletter controversy?

I truly believe that Paul is NOT a racist, but I can't believe that he would be so careless with a newsletter under his name.

1.) Was this his official newsletter?
2.) Was the person responsible fired?
3.) Is that person still working for Paul?

I think Paul needs to condemn such actions and we need to get Larry Elder or Walter Williams to back Paul up. We need some serious damage control because as Paul gets larger, this will blow up in our face. I can already see ABC news, etc. showing the quote about African-American males while a voice-over reads it. Our campaign = done unless Paul directly addresses this. We cannot sweep this under the rug because it has been uncovered and will only be exposed once Paul becomes a serious contender

kylejack
07-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Ultimately, Ron Paul will probably need to name the ghostwriter. Confirmation of what happened from the ghostwriter would be ideal. Ron's word works for us, but it won't for many potential supporters.

Lord Xar
07-13-2007, 10:16 AM
well, as of now, only TANCREDO has addressed and spoke in front of the NAACP which extended an invitation. Apparently, he got a standing ovation. He mentioned some things on how illegal immigration has really been detrimental to the black community and also said that the latest mention that "civil rights of illegal immigrants and its movement" was an insult to them.... not verbatim, go take a look.. impressive to me. I like Tancredo.

beermotor
07-13-2007, 10:18 AM
It would be great if the person would just step up and admit their culpability for the piece. The fact that it hasn't come out is what keeps things hanging around. However, I don't think it's a very big issue. Most of the "HE'S A RACIST" crap has died down / disappeared from the blogs.

beermotor
07-13-2007, 10:19 AM
well, as of now, only TANCREDO has addressed and spoke in front of the NAACP which extended an invitation. Apparently, he got a standing ovation. He mentioned some things on how illegal immigration has really been detrimental to the black community and also said that the latest mention that "civil rights of illegal immigrants and its movement" was an insult to them.... not verbatim, go take a look.. impressive to me. I like Tancredo.

I think Tancredo is OK, but he's like Ron Paul without the firm anti-war stance and good, sound economic principles. I.E. basically just like all the rest of the losers. He might say something reasonable once in a while, but ultimately, there's not "there" there.

Heh.

specsaregood
07-13-2007, 10:22 AM
//

smtwngrl
07-13-2007, 10:25 AM
I agree. I've always liked Tancredo, but he is no Ron Paul (not a Constitutionalist). And I've been disappointed in some of his stances in recent years. I was surprised and disappointed, for example when he voted "yes" on the Patriot Act. And likewise with his sanction of pre-emptive war and of torture.

DeadheadForPaul
07-13-2007, 10:30 AM
It would be great if the person would just step up and admit their culpability for the piece. The fact that it hasn't come out is what keeps things hanging around. However, I don't think it's a very big issue. Most of the "HE'S A RACIST" crap has died down / disappeared from the blogs.

This issue is going to pop up on every major media outlet. It is not gone and Dr. Paul needs to address it before he's known as "that racist guy"

Gee
07-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Seriously, what else does Paul have to do that will get him national coverage? Everyone makes a fuss about a small forum in Iowa, but he doesn't go to these debates? It makes me wonder. He'll have to deal with the racial charges publicly at some point, probably better to do that sooner than later.

Wyurm
07-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Seriously, what else does Paul have to do that will get him national coverage? Everyone makes a fuss about a small forum in Iowa, but he doesn't go to these debates? It makes me wonder. He'll have to deal with the racial charges publicly at some point, probably better to do that sooner than later.

He already has. Several times infact. This link has the answer I like best: http://www.muckrakerreport.com/id447.html

kylejack
07-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Again, he needs to name names.

Gee
07-13-2007, 04:47 PM
In print, but its going to be mentioned on television one day, and he'll have to say something about it.

DeadheadForPaul
07-13-2007, 05:12 PM
In print, but its going to be mentioned on television one day, and he'll have to say something about it.

Exactly. If you think this is over, then you know nothing about how the media works.

Just think about the Dean scream

now think about the potentially explosive nature of those quotes from the newsletter. It will sink his campaign immediately

Mesogen
07-13-2007, 06:00 PM
What do you guys think about the newsletter controversy?

I truly believe that Paul is NOT a racist, but I can't believe that he would be so careless with a newsletter under his name.

Agreed. I don't think he's racist either, but I think he was just careless with those newsletters. I've heard people say that he will release NONE of his old newsletters from that time. I don't know if that's true, but it sure looks damning.

I think Paul needs to condemn such actions and we need to get Larry Elder or Walter Williams to back Paul up. We need some serious damage control because as Paul gets larger, this will blow up in our face. I can already see ABC news, etc. showing the quote about African-American males while a voice-over reads it. Our campaign = done unless Paul directly addresses this. We cannot sweep this under the rug because it has been uncovered and will only be exposed once Paul becomes a serious contender
I completely agree. Ron Paul has tried to clear this up in the past, but he needs to do it again in the national campaign. Maybe it's all about timing.