PDA

View Full Version : Running through scenarios: what will work for RP

DRV45N05
12-31-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm going to go through some scenarios in Iowa and New Hampshire that will work in RP's favor going forward.

To begin with, if we don't win either state, we MUST have top-3 finishes in Iowa and New Hampshire. That much is unquestionable, but I think there's obviously a tremendous chance of that happening. If you had asked me three months ago how RP could win the nomination, I would have told you that the only way it could have happened is if he had won New Hampshire. But that was then, and this is the $19.1 million day. Here's what I'm envisioning as good for us:

1. We win Iowa or New Hampshire. Obviously, this cements us, and we can afford lower than 3rd place finishes in the other state if we win one of them.

2. Huckabee wins Iowa, Romney wins New Hampshire. We have a split in the first two states, so no candidate has crystal clear momentum coming out of it. Assuming we get a top-3 finish in both states, McCain and Thompson are knocked out. Huckabee will be low on cash, and Giuliani's fundraising slips even as it resets in 2008, as his donors lose confidence in him. It's a Paul, Huckabee, Romney race. Paul has the momentum to bring down to South Carolina, and he already has a huge base established.

3. Romney wins Iowa, McCain wins New Hampshire. McCain winning New Hampshire keeps him in, which is bad because he'll have the media pushing him, but nonetheless, we have a split in the first two states and we come in top-3 in each. Thompson is knocked out, and Huckabee is dealt a huge blow and won't have a lot of money left. Giuliani is still dealt a big blow and will be severely wounded.

4. Huckabee wins Iowa, McCain wins New Hampshire. This is the best scenario if we don't win Iowa or New Hampshire and get top-3 in each. Thompson and Romney are toast, and Giuliani is dealt a big blow. This means our two opponents down the stretch toward February 5 are two candidates who are having a ton of fundraising trouble, and the buzz we get from top-3 finishes in the early states matches theirs. McCain is going nowhere in SC, as he is both unpopular and has the baggage of being associated with Lindsey Graham so closely (which is a bad association to have these days in SC, especially among SC Republicans). He'll be able to take both of them down in SC, and we'll have the resources to take them down on February 5.

jake
12-31-2007, 01:30 PM
I think the worst RP will do is 4th in Iowa and 2nd in NH

Hoping for 2nd in Iowa and 1st in NH :)

hawkeyenick
12-31-2007, 01:30 PM
3rd in Iowa, 3rd in NH to keep under the radar

Huck drops and McCain drops

curtisag
12-31-2007, 01:38 PM
In my view, if Ron Paul hits 3rd in Iowa, and 2nd or 3rd in NH, this will be enough to convince your average person there is a chance he could win. The media has been pumping this idea for months that he has no chance. They know very well that many people don't want to waste their votes even if they support Ron. I talk to so many people that like Ron, would donate to Ron in the general election, but are unwilling to lift a finger to help him now because the idea that he has no chance is very much ingrained in the public's psyche. If we can shock the public with our support, the dominoes can start to fall and a snowball effect of support can come in very quickly. See Bill Clinton in the 92' primary, see John Kerry in the 04 primary, see Ronald Reagan in 80, and Jimmy Carter in 76. They all came from behind as long-shots to win. Most of the time the front-runner going into a primary ends up losing. Americans love an underdog that comes from behind and shocks everyone. This is our time if we stand up and recognize that something is going on in this country right now that nobody really understands yet, AND IT'S BIG!

Paul4Prez
12-31-2007, 01:42 PM
The sooner we're on the radar, the better. The biggest obstacle to Ron Paul winning right now is so many people who like him but don't think he has a chance. An early win anywhere would blow away this misperception. A strong 2nd or 3rd or either Iowa or New Hampshire or both might do the trick, too.

Here's my scenario:

1. Ron Paul finishes 4th (or higher) in Iowa, beating at least 2 of the supposed "top five" candidates. If he finishes 5th, his name will be conspicuously absent in news coverage, as we've seen before.

2. Ron Paul places a strong 3rd (or higher) in New Hampshire, beating at least 3 of the supposed "top five" candidates, and making the flawed nature of the polls obvious to everyone who is paying attention. Hannity will spin it as a libertarian-leaning New Hampshire fluke.

3. Ron Paul places a strong 3rd (or higher) in Michigan. Again, Hannity spins it as a fluke, since the Michigan primary is open.

4. Having clearly established himself as a top 3 contender, Ron Paul wins Nevada and takes 3rd (or higher) in South Carolina. Ron Paul support explodes nationwide.

5. Ron Paul takes 2nd in Florida, and it becomes clear that he can win the nomination. He follows it up by winning the Maine caucus.

6. February 5th: Ron Paul takes the lead.

Unspun
12-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Hoping for 2nd in Iowa and 1st in NH :)

I'm hoping for a first place finish in both states... ;)