PDA

View Full Version : "Rudy's Got No Heartland" -- NY Post

LizF
12-31-2007, 10:19 AM
RUDY'S GOT NO HEARTLAND

By CARL CAMPANILE and GEOFF EARLE

December 31, 2007 -- WEST DES MOINES, Iowa - Rudy Giuliani's support here has plummeted into the single digits, far lower than the frigid winter temperatures in the Hawkeye State, according to new surveys released yesterday.

A Reuters poll shows the Republican ex-mayor capturing just 8 percent of the vote - tied for fourth place with Fred Thompson and anti-war candidate Ron Paul.

And an MSNBC poll shows Giuliani tied with Paul for fifth place with a measly 5 percent of the vote - near the bottom of the pack.

Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee are running neck and neck for first.

The icy numbers come a day after Giuliani spent his final day stumping in Iowa before the Jan. 3 caucus. He was in New Hampshire yesterday, which holds its primary on Jan. 8.

Giuliani's support has fallen by half in Iowa over the past month.

"American's mayor is getting Ron Paul-like numbers! Where has he been? He stopped showing up," said conservative activist Jamie Johnson, who runs a radio station.

Giuliani did not air a single TV ad in Iowa, and his 15 trips here were far fewer than front-runners Romney and Huckabee.

Instead, he has focused on winning Florida on Jan. 28 and more than 20 delegate-rich states on Feb. 5, including New York.

Giuliani defended the strategy yesterday and brushed off questions about his slide in the polls.

"When you get to Florida and the Feb. 5 states, we're ahead in some cases by large percentages and in some case by closer percentages," Giuliani told Fox News. "We believe it's a good strategy and it's going to work."

New York's favorite daughter, Hillary Rodham Clinton, is faring far better, though she is locked in a tight race with Barack Obama and John Edwards.

She spoke yesterday at Corinthian Baptist Church, a mostly black congregation that Obama addressed recently.

Clinton came 30 minutes late with a big entourage and left through a side door before the sermon - and got chastised by the deacon during his sermon.

"When I first got here, I was a little overwhelmed by all the dignitaries," said the Rev. Elder James Green after Clinton had left. "I thought they were going to stay for service."

"I did, too," yelled out a worshiper.

The deacon then led the church in the refrain: "Lord, fix my heart, fix my mind . . . I don't want to run the race in vain."

Clinton later told a crowd of a few hundred in suburban Traer to "look at the evidence" when making their decision on whom to back Thursday.

"When the cameras are off and there isn't anybody around, I'm still trying to figure out how to help people," she said.

Meanwhile, John McCain - who like Giuliani has largely written off winning Iowa - is rising here, getting 13 percent in both polls.

[Emphasis (in bold) mine]

Link: http://www.nypost.com/seven/12312007/news/nationalnews/rudys_got_no_heartland_555097.htm

chiplitfam
12-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Do not believe these predetermined polls.

LizF
12-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Do not believe these predetermined polls.

As a rule I don't, I just thought it was ironic & curious that one of the annointed "frontrunners" should be polling so poorly. The comment about him having RP poll-numbers (oh nooees not that guy! :p ) made me laugh.