PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Ron Paul clothing at polls/caucuses

jrich4rpaul
12-31-2007, 06:11 AM
Does anyone know the rules on this?

No guesses, this needs to be addressed with facts. If politcal clothing is not allowed, we need to make sure we're not wearing any Ron Paul merch when we go vote. We don't want anybody coming here saying "THEY KICKED ME OUT BECAUSE I WAS WEARING A RON PAUL SHIRT!" when in fact they kick out anybody wearing political shirts.

ladyliberty
12-31-2007, 06:14 AM
I would expect everyone to dress up in their Sunday Go to Meeting Clothes. and leave all of their political garb in the car to put on AFTER they have voted. Then walk across the street, 110 feet from the polls and put up an "I voted for Ron Paul" table with signatures.

walt
12-31-2007, 06:16 AM
it varies from state to state - but I plan to not be wearing any stuff. Our votes are supposed to be private.

jrich4rpaul
12-31-2007, 06:16 AM
I would expect everyone to dress up in their Sunday Go to Meeting Clothes. and leave all of their political garb in the car to put on AFTER they have voted. Then walk across the street, 110 feet from the polls and put up an "I voted for Ron Paul" table with signatures.

We definately need some sort of exit poll.

I hope when I head to the polls I see some sign wavers as well. Who have already voted before doing so :D

trispear
12-31-2007, 06:17 AM
I have to ask -- isn't being barred from wearing these clothes to a voting station an infringement of first amendment rights?

loupeznik
12-31-2007, 06:19 AM

This will be what I will do. I want to be a delegate. The only problem I could see is that the Ron Paul delegates need to know who each other are so that they can vote for each other. We may need to work this out at a Meetup.

ValidusCustodiae
12-31-2007, 06:35 AM
I have to ask -- isn't being barred from wearing these clothes to a voting station an infringement of first amendment rights?

It wouldn't be the first, nor will it be the last time our rights are ignored.

Keith
12-31-2007, 06:52 AM
I would caution against wearing Ron Paul clothing to the poll because someone working at the poll may decide to "loose" your ballot somehow after your back is turned.

skeet
12-31-2007, 06:54 AM
It is illegal in the State of Mississippi to promote a candidate within so many feet (50 I think) of a polling place. No shirts, buttons, pins, slim-jims,signs, etc. The rules apply to poll watchers, officials, and voters alike.

Many will set-up outside of the restricted area and wave signs and what not.

jblosser
12-31-2007, 07:03 AM
We definately need some sort of exit poll.

I hope when I head to the polls I see some sign wavers as well. Who have already voted before doing so :D

And have made sure all previousuly identified Ron Paul voters in their precinct have made it to the polls and voted.

Get your identified voters there before worrying about anything else. This includes waving at the location or even poll watching, since there's no real point in watching votes that aren't being cast.

rpfreedom08
12-31-2007, 07:18 AM
I will not be wearing any Ron Paul garb and will probably be toting some sort of pro huckabee demeanor. You guys, this is a very important battle! If they can pin point their advisories it just makes winning for us that much harder and a threat of losing, a very viable outcome. Remember this is a revolution and we are the "bad guys" with targets on each one of our heads, the way we beat them is by infiltrating, not by standing out at this event.

jrich4rpaul
12-31-2007, 07:39 AM

In this case, if it's the only way we can make sure our votes count, can't this be an unargued exception? This is too important to be verbally attacking any officials over on voting day.

jblosser
12-31-2007, 07:39 AM
I will not be wearing any Ron Paul garb and will probably be toting some sort of pro huckabee demeanor. You guys, this is a very important battle! If they can pin point their advisories it just makes winning for us that much harder and a threat of losing, a very viable outcome. Remember this is a revolution and we are the "bad guys" with targets on each one of our heads, the way we beat them is by infiltrating, not by standing out at this event.

100% wrong. If you are in a place where you can wear campaign gear, you need to wear Ron Paul gear so the level of support is visible. This is one of our best real weapons against any attempts to defraud the election. The public won't buy election theft if Ron's support is visibly higher than the polls claim, they'll only buy it if they don't see him supported or it looks close.

If you saw Huckabee gear all over the place when you went to vote (because that's what all the Ron Paul people wore), and then the results said someone other than Huckabee won, would you believe it?

jrich4rpaul
12-31-2007, 07:42 AM

And why would you support another candidate at the polls, even act to?

Yeah, let's show everyone at the polls that we support Huckabee and have a last minute swing toward him on the vote! Good one.

jrich4rpaul
12-31-2007, 07:43 AM
100% wrong. If you are in a place where you can wear campaign gear, you need to wear Ron Paul gear so the level of support is visible. This is one of our best real weapons against any attempts to defraud the election. The public won't buy election theft if Ron's support is visibly higher than the polls claim, they'll only buy it if they don't see him supported or it looks close.

If you saw Huckabee gear all over the place when you went to vote (because that's what all the Ron Paul people wore), and then the results said someone other than Huckabee won, would you believe it?

Support can be shown outside the building. If there's rules against political ads in polling places, than just follow them so your vote counts. isn't that the most important thing on voting day?

mosquitobite
12-31-2007, 07:43 AM
It is illegal in the State of Mississippi to promote a candidate within so many feet (50 I think) of a polling place. No shirts, buttons, pins, slim-jims,signs, etc. The rules apply to poll watchers, officials, and voters alike.

Many will set-up outside of the restricted area and wave signs and what not.

Same here in Indiana, but I think it's 100 feet.

I worry that someone who is a first time voter won't know these rules and will get irate about not being allowed to vote because of their attire. :(

Perhaps here on the forums we can put a sticky at the top of each state that says what's allowable? Or is it precinct/county defined?

jrich4rpaul
12-31-2007, 07:45 AM
Same here in Indiana, but I think it's 100 feet.

I worry that someone who is a first time voter won't know these rules and will get irate about not being allowed to vote because of their attire. :(

Perhaps here on the forums we can put a sticky at the top of each state that says what's allowable? Or is it precinct/county defined?

We definately need a sticky. I can see the irate posts of people coming home from the polls in a rage because their Ron Paul shirt denied them a vote.

rpfreedom08
12-31-2007, 08:11 AM

I’ve already thought about that, and this is why a little organization can go along way! I think the different Ron Paul groups should have a sign-up to disclose how many people are there to support Ron Paul. This will allow for documented proof on how many will attend however no one will be marked if they are not toting any Ron Paul gear. Look guys, all I want to do is give ourselves a fighting chance and I think by people not being able to pin point the enemy (us) it would greatly increase the chance of winning.

Of course maybe I’m looking at it from a military standpoint but I think we are at war right now and as we have seen, they are really pulling out all the stops on this one. As we have seen time and time again, these people love to infiltrate organizations to further their agendas because quite frankly it WORKS. Why don’t we do the same? Fight fire with fire.

rpfreedom08
12-31-2007, 08:15 AM
And why would you support another candidate at the polls, even act to?

Yeah, let's show everyone at the polls that we support Huckabee and have a last minute swing toward him on the vote! Good one.

Believe me I'm not going to be talking up huckabee or spewing any weird pro huckabee agenda, I'm merely not going to be outright supporting Dr. Paul. I don't believe in giving my enemies an easy target...

freedom-maniac
12-31-2007, 08:18 AM
Don't wear anything for Rudy McRomneeson, or R.P. just dress normal, go in, don't say anything, vote, and then once you get out change into your R.P. stuff. That way they won't try to keep you out for being a Paulite.

jblosser
12-31-2007, 08:20 AM
I’ve already thought about that, and this is why a little organization can go along way! I think the different Ron Paul groups should have a sign-up to disclose how many people are there to support Ron Paul. This will allow for documented proof on how many will attend however no one will be marked if they are not toting any Ron Paul gear. Look guys, all I want to do is give ourselves a fighting chance and I think by people not being able to pin point the enemy (us) it would greatly increase the chance of winning.

Exit polling will only work if everyone participates, and a whole lot of people will not. They'll see it as freaky and conspiracy-oriented or they'll just want to be left alone (our people value privacy, right?).

Exit polling can only work if we get a precint where we record more votes than the official count. The odds of getting a high enough response from people leaving to accomplish that are low. This is unfortunate but it is practical truth. We need other options. Overwhelming public support (think Reagan in '84) will not be defrauded, but only if we can get the level of support there. Barring that, though, we're probably behind the 8 ball.

loupeznik
12-31-2007, 08:22 AM

What about if a person stays after the polls close to be a delegate? We need to be elected by other delegates.

jdmetz
12-31-2007, 08:41 AM
What about if a person stays after the polls close to be a delegate? We need to be elected by other delegates.

In a caucus state, there is a specific time the caucus starts, and you must stay after to elect delegates. In primary states (which is the majority of them), the polls are open all day, and delegates are allocated based on the results of the voting. Only in a primary state does it make sense to go out and wave signs after voting.

NewEnd
12-31-2007, 08:46 AM
caucuses - encouraged to wear ron paul stuff

polls - illegal to do any kind of politicking

shadowhooch
12-31-2007, 08:50 AM
Well, I plan on parking my highly decorated Ron Paul car there for a few hours and then stand 100 feet away and hand out all my remaining flyers, pamphlets, and slimjims to everyone that walks up. I've seen people do that at past polling places in Missouri and I've always read what they handed me as I stood in line to vote. The worst they could do is ask me to leave.

Afterall, what good are slimjims after the election? Get them to the real voters on vote day.;)

werdd
12-31-2007, 08:54 AM
I would play it safe, and dress nicely so there is no chance that we will be hassled

jblosser
12-31-2007, 08:56 AM

You are asking if people should be sneaky to become delegates?

The process in every state is different but generally speaking if you have to be that sneaky or pretend to support another candidate to get there then we aren't doing well enough for it to matter much. You should be getting involved in the party NOW and demonstrating you're a real conservative, not hiding from them and hoping they pick you anyway. And bringing enough of your friends to help vote for you that it doesn't matter.

speciallyblend
12-31-2007, 08:57 AM
go nude,since free speech zones you cant speak,wear or promote any candidate,, hmm free speech zones gotta love the name of that eh?:)

Mastiff
12-31-2007, 08:58 AM
In Iowa, where we have caucuses, the plan is to advertise that you are supporting Paul. Someone actualy needs to give a short speech on his behalf, and then when delegate electing happens, you really want to know who to vote for.

I'm not sure if people ever fake who they are supporting to become a delegate, but I'm not going to sink to that this time.

dirknb@hotmail.com
12-31-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm going to vote as soon as the polls open, then go out to the car and get the Ron Paul stuff out. I'm going to stand the required distance from the door all day long and promote Ron Paul, handing out slim jims to anyone who will take them. I'll also be handing out bumper stickers and yard signs in preparation for the general election. Then, when the polls close, I'm going inside to our Precinct Convention with my Ron Paul shirt on, and am going to become a delegate. My wife, who is the Republican precinct chair for our precinct, will be doing the same.

Paulbot_9876
12-31-2007, 09:06 AM
i am sure it will be cold out and most people will have heavy coats on to hide rp name.....warn rp supporters who are new to voting and catch them before they procceed to go vote....tell them the rules instead of letting them just walk in not knowing.....

dirknb@hotmail.com
12-31-2007, 09:15 AM
There are going to be people who show up to vote who are undecided or on the fence. If you're not there promoting Ron Paul at the required distance from the door, you will be missing a great opportunity.

loupeznik
12-31-2007, 09:17 AM
You are asking if people should be sneaky to become delegates?

The process in every state is different but generally speaking if you have to be that sneaky or pretend to support another candidate to get there then we aren't doing well enough for it to matter much. You should be getting involved in the party NOW and demonstrating you're a real conservative, not hiding from them and hoping they pick you anyway. And bringing enough of your friends to help vote for you that it doesn't matter.

If not waving a Ron Paul flag is being sneaky, then yes. In TX I understand that we have to be elected by by other delegates. If there is a cross section of Republican voters there, I don't want to alienate anyone. I will talk about the principles limited government and American sovereignty. Principles I believe in. At this point the polling will be closed with no general election voters to convince about one candidate or another.

malibu
12-31-2007, 09:27 AM
caucuses - encouraged to wear ron paul stuff

polls - illegal to do any kind of politicking

I guess I'll wear a tie - and comb my hair - for the Iowa caucus, but that little round Ron Paul sticker will go over my heart on top of
a snow white Cleveland Indians down jacket (grad school days) -
the big Indian on the back will be for the spirit of all the Ioway Indian and other tribes who first started out
on these deep black and fertile rich humus soils -
and the Ron Paul sticker maybe does help in the caucus delegate elections to the county convention, which are scheduled for March I guess.

The idea came from walking by a co-ed wearing a similar sized Dodd sticker outside of her winter coat a week ago -

as a dem for Dodd she's gonna probably have to go uncommitted or throw her vote to another candidate to count -
no problem like that on the GOP side.

GOP caucus goers can just "vote and go" - say if you want to catch the second half of the football game.

Dems can expect a looooong grueling night of playing in line - like kindergarteners in Hitlary's universal pre-K plan.

Highstreet
12-31-2007, 09:37 AM

Bump.

Save it till after your caucus or primary.