PDA

View Full Version : Why is harrasing people on the phone a legitimate campaign strategy?

King Crimson
12-31-2007, 12:16 AM
This isn't just about the Ron Paul campaign but about all political campaigns. Why is there such an effort by political campaigns to do telemarketing-style harassment and why is it considered a legitimate political tactic? I mean if I was eating dinner with my family and I got a call by some guy telling me to support Ron Paul or Huckabee or anyone for president I would probably tell them to not bother me and let me get back to what I was doing. I would think it would just piss people off and make them want to NOT support the candidate. It's basically telemarketing for politics. Nobody is going to seriously change their mind based on a phone call they got from someone they don't even know. Is there evidence that this kind of politicking works? And the automatic calls that I hear people get are even worse. You pick up the phone and you don't get a person but an automated message? Yikes. This whole tactic seems like such a waste of manpower, time and money.

hellah10
12-31-2007, 02:07 AM
ive wondered the same thing

Enzo
12-31-2007, 02:13 AM
Maybe it's effective for some people? Personally, I can't stand any form of solicitation.

I would be totally annoyed. But if it creates more Ron Paul supporters and votes, then good for them.

I suppose at the very least, it's getting Ron Paul's name out there.... and maybe it's just enough to get someone to Google Ron Paul.

hawkeyenick
12-31-2007, 02:22 AM
Strangely, it works on the older generation...all it does to the younger generation is piss them off

The older generation actually votes though...

JohnnyWrath
12-31-2007, 02:23 AM
If telemarketing didn't work, it wouldn't exist.

I believe the concept is that you are going to annoy 99 people, but the 100th will be won over. Ron Paul supporters who already support him won't be annoyed. I would get a kick out of it if someone called me about Ron Paul....maybe have some fun with it...

Be like "ru paul"? 3 or 4 times, keep messing with them about him being a racist and that I heard he is a Russian cult leader or something....tell them I freakin already love him at the end.

Azprint
12-31-2007, 02:27 AM
You can't even imagine how many people are foolish enough and eat all the crap you tell them on the phone. On the other hand, senior citizens like attention, also seniors are the one, who are politically active. So it is ok.

Cyclone
12-31-2007, 03:13 AM
There is a big difference between phone canvassing and being an annoying jerk. If you don't know how to be one and not the other, I agree, phone work is not for you.

I, however, know of people with a fantastic record on the phone. They ask for permission to discuss politics and if granted they speak, if not, they thank them for their time and hang up. Thousands have been told the Ron Paul message this way and it is extremely effective.

ronpaulblogsdotcom
12-31-2007, 03:15 AM
I used to do cold calls when I was bored at work. It works. I have made thousands of dollars from it. It is tough though. I had a hard time getting sales people to do it if they did not sign up for it.

hawkeyenick
12-31-2007, 03:18 AM
There is a big difference between phone canvassing and being an annoying jerk. If you don't know how to be one and not the other, I agree, phone work is not for you.

I, however, know of people with a fantastic record on the phone. They ask for permission to discuss politics and if granted they speak, if not, they thank them for their time and hang up. Thousands have been told the Ron Paul message this way and it is extremely effective.

This is why I chose not to do calls here in Iowa, I'm WAY too confrontational to the point of hurting the campaign more than I would help it

Bob Spruill
12-31-2007, 03:20 AM
Telemarketing is one of the primary reasons I will never have a land line again. I purely hate that crap.

I would be surprised if they are not making more enemies than friends.

edit-------------

I'm old. Get off my lawn !

DirtMcGirt
12-31-2007, 03:21 AM
yeah any telemarketer i get pisses me off, but before i hang up i tell them to google Ron Paul...