PDA

View Full Version : My recruiting updates

Lucid American
12-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Two pretty cool developments over the weekend for me . . .

1) I'm not sure who my dad is leaning toward these days, but I'm pretty positive it's not Ron Paul. He's been a staunch Bush supporter and has pretty much deified Bush at times. Anyway, abortion is huge with him, so on Thursday I sent him the link for "Abortion and Liberty". Dad was going out of town this weekend, so I told him to print it out and take it with him. When I spoke to him before he left Friday morning, he said he'd printed it out and "prettied it up in a folder" to take with him but wound up getting engrossed in it and finished reading it Thursday night. I pointed out that no other candidate would have that kind of stand, and he firmly agreed. Hopefully that will be a good "surge" for me to talk up with Dad.

2) My wife's Christmas present to me was a night at a nice lodge up in the N. GA mountains over this weekend. So, after we got there, she hopped in the shower, and I decided to take "Foreign Policy of Freedom" down to the lodge lobby bar, get a glass of wine, and read it by the fireplace.

As usual, I carried it so as to show the "Ron Paul" to anyone who was nosey enough to glance at what book I was carrying -- best case it gives an open door for someone to express interest. Well, I got to the bar, set the book down and ordered my glass of wine, and the lady next to me looks over and speaks right up . . . "RON PAUL, EH?"

So, I talked for the next 45 minutes or so with her and her husband on all things Ron Paul in contrast with everything currently wrong with both parties in Washington. They were pretty intrigued. Her husband seemed somewhat familiar with Paul and even acknowledged up front that he didn't get fair treatment in the media; she had heard of Paul but didn't know much about his policies.

The husband said he was currently leaning toward McCain because he really respected his perceived character. I ended off revisiting the issue of character and gave the 20-second summation of Paul's life . . . captain in the Air Force, served another 3 years in reserves, delivered 4,000 babies, married 50 years. They were both pretty impressed.

Before it was over, we exchanged contact info, and beneath my email address I wrote a reminder for them to google Ron Paul. I think they will.

It had me pretty excited. I'm just ready for the rubber to meet the road this week!