PDA

View Full Version : ***IMPORTANT DEADLINE*** Texas!!!

Elwar
12-30-2007, 10:38 PM
If you live in Texas and you are reading this, go out and register for precinct chairman NOW!!!

Deadline for Precinct Chairman is Today (Jan 2nd)!!!!

Here's how easy it is to register for precinct chairman:

1. Go to your county Republican Headquarters. (Might need to track it down at http://www.txgop.org (http://www.texasgop.org/site/PageServer?pagename=leadership_countyweb) if you don't already know where it is).

2. Tell them you want to be your precinct's chairman.

3. You'll fill out your name, address and contact info. Then sign the application.

4. Bam...you're done.

There is a slight chance that someone else is an incumbant for your precinct. Don't worry about that, you need to sign up immediately.

I know our county has over 600 precincts and we only have Ron Paul people in 20 of those precincts as precinct chair. We need those positions flooded by Ron Paul supporters!!!!

Go ASAP and sign up!!!!

This is a vital step in getting Ron Paul elected.

chiplitfam
12-30-2007, 10:42 PM
I filed my papers yesterday. I am running against two other people. One for sure is not a Paul supporter. I am going to be campaigning in Ft. Bend County (Katy) for Ron Paul and myself!

DeadtoSin
12-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Can you explain Texas' delegate situation? What is a precinct chairman's job?

hillertexas
12-30-2007, 10:49 PM
What is a precinct chairman's job?

+1

tsetsefly
12-30-2007, 10:54 PM
+1

+2, i was going to become a delegate but I currently reside outside and will vote absentee so I cant lol, what does the precinct chairman do?

also delegate situation I read the whole fucking manual and still didnt know what I had to do...

hillertexas
12-30-2007, 11:00 PM
also delegate situation I read the whole fucking manual and still didnt know what I had to do...

me too. Maybe someone who understands the process can make a YouTube video explaining it. Maybe it would help if I hear it rather than read it.

Can someone talk us through the process start to finish...not just how to become a delegate, but what happens next?

I want to know exactly what I would be committing myself to.

Elwar
01-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Go now!

austin4paul
01-02-2008, 02:17 PM
+1

They run the precinct convention, which is a meeting held right after the voting ends at your local polling place. Anyone who wants to be a delegate goes to the meeting. Those people then elect a chairman, who will run the meeting. The Chairman needs to know Robert's Rules of Order so they can conduct an orderly meeting (you have lots of time to get this) and then the meeting has 1 purpose, which is to elect delegates to represent the voters of that precinct at the County convention.

The delegates of the County then vote for their County. Those delegates are then weaned down and a smaller number goes on to the State Convention. Those delegates are then weaned down and a smaller number goes on to the National Convention where they vote to determine who the nominee will be.

You don't have to commit to the entire process to become the Precinct chairman, although obviously, having that level of comittment to the process will help make you the best choice for the job.

Elwar
01-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Can you explain Texas' delegate situation? What is a precinct chairman's job?

Precinct chairman basically runs the delegate meeting after voting is over on election day. They gather people together somewhere nearby after the election with other Republican voters and they choose the delegates for that precinct.

Then a few weeks later the precinct chair and the delegates all meet at the county delegate meeting to vote for the delegates that go to the state convention. The state convention they vote for the delegates that go to the national convention in St. Paul.

There are a few other things the precinct chair is in charge of, they are basically the Republican representative for their precinct. They get the voter list from the last elections so that they can go get out the vote, etc.

Scott Friday
01-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Taken from here:
http://www.texasgop.org/site/PageServer?pagename=RPTBasics

Precinct Convention
The precinct convention is the first step in the Party process.

A precinct convention is held on the night of the primary election at each polling place after the polls close. If it is not held at the polling place, notice of where the convention will be held must be posted at the polling place.

Anyone voting in the Primary in that precinct may attend and will be considered a delegate to the precinct convention. If you want to attend your precinct convention, make sure the election clerk stamps your voter registration card with the Party name when you vote. If you do not have your voter registration card at the time, ask for a Certificate of Party Affiliation showing that you voted in the Party’s primary. This will make it easier to get into the precinct convention.

The convention generally begins at 7:00 or 7:30 p.m., and is usually called to order by the precinct chairman. If the precinct chairman is absent, any delegate may open the meeting. There is no minimum number of people who must be present to hold the precinct convention. If you are the only person present, ask the election judge for the precinct convention packet, and hold the convention by yourself. The packet will have instructions, and the required paperwork that must be turned in to the local Republican Party headquarters by the date set forth in the packet to be valid.

Delegates to the precinct convention first elect permanent convention officers, usually a convention chairman and secretary. They then elect delegates and alternates to their county or state senatorial district convention. Finally, they consider and vote on any resolutions offered by the delegates.

Click here for a Sample Script for Precinct Conventions.

Each precinct is allocated an equal number of delegates and alternates to the county or senatorial district convention. The number is based on the number of votes the precinct cast for the governor in the last gubernatorial election, taking into account any applicable boundary changes.

berkeleybound
01-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Bump

singapore_sling
01-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Can I apply for precinct captain if im 17 during the primaries but going to be 18 by the general election.I live in San Antonio and I'd love to try and get the position or show up to try to be voted a delegate. Unfortunately though the primaries here are BS and I can't participate at 17.

Elwar
01-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Can I apply for precinct captain if im 17 during the primaries but going to be 18 by the general election.I live in San Antonio and I'd love to try and get the position or show up to try to be voted a delegate. Unfortunately though the primaries here are BS and I can't participate at 17.

I think you probably could, you couldn't be a delegate but you could probably be precinct chair. I recall the lady telling one of our younger meetup folks that they encourage younger people to come sign up.

If you're in San Antonio there's a get together tonight at 6PM:
http://ronpaul.meetup.com/119/calendar/6910581/?a=nr1p_grp

Elwar
01-02-2008, 04:32 PM
You Go Now!

Elwar
01-02-2008, 04:59 PM
bump