PDA

View Full Version : Finally! A convert I never thought I would get...

aspiringconstitutionalist
12-30-2007, 10:33 PM
So, I called my mom up tonight to chat, and as we were talking, she said: "You know, I was driving home from Eastern Washington [the university where she's a professor at], and I looked up, and on in this overpass, there were probably about 50 college-aged looking kids, and they all had these huge blue Ron Paul signs! Do you really think he can win?" I responded by telling her about Ron Paul's rising funds and poll numbers, and she said "I watched that Youtube video you sent me, and he's so right about everything. When can I vote for him?"

I was totally floored. This was the same person who originally told me that I was a traitor to my country because I didn't support the Iraq War and who yelled at me and told me I had no respect for the military servicemen and women who were fighting for my freedom. I had tried to talk with her about politics before, but it didn't seem like anything was getting through, but it was! We now have one more Ron Paul revolutionary in Washington state!

Let this be an encouragement to anyone who has friends or family who seem like they will never be won over by Ron Paul. Your patience and persistence DO pay off, even if it doesn't seem like it is! Keep up the good work!

takadi
12-30-2007, 10:35 PM
What video did you send her?

bbachtung
12-30-2007, 10:35 PM
Congrats. You should go into sales.

t3rmin
12-30-2007, 10:36 PM
Rock on, bro. I'm still working on my neocon-fooled dad, but I think he'll come around. I think my mom is already on board.

Opulen
12-30-2007, 10:36 PM
No matter what, Blood is thicker than water. Help our family see Ron Paul!

12-30-2007, 10:37 PM
What video did you send her?

Ron Paul: A New Hope 2.0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIivoqLbeeg)

12-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Rock on, bro. I'm still working on my neocon-fooled dad, but I think he'll come around. I think my mom is already on board.

Yeah, my dad's still a Huckanut :D but he'll come around. ;)

DirtMcGirt
12-30-2007, 10:40 PM
great job!!! you can lead them to the water but to get them to drink is not up to you and me...

RP08

angrydragon
12-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Might be pushing it, but here's some she links she might like.

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/veterans/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRTDynbHVYQ

bgky4paul
12-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Good on you, Con! I tried to talk to my mom about RP and her only response has been to send me a Huckleberry video!!!

nc4rp
12-30-2007, 10:45 PM
grats. ive been there, my Dad, sister, bro in law, mom, step-dad, friends, and theres still a few who havnt come around, but if any or all of the forementioned have then im telling you anyone can. they all like something different about him is whats wierd.

i even randomly in teh convenience store asked if theyd heard of R paul and if his message was getting out and one guy was liek 'hell yea' and teh cashier was like yea but hates republicans, i told him i was registering repub and now even hes having second thoughts

max
12-30-2007, 10:47 PM

if all else fails...tell dad you're gonna hold your breath until he converts

MikeStanart
12-30-2007, 10:51 PM

I'm in the Exact same boat as you, sir. ( My mom is a RP supporter)

However; my father is very influential, my step-mom is very influential.

I've yet to win them both over.

They must be recruited for this effort ASAP.

Alex
12-30-2007, 10:52 PM
I actually made progress with my family. Most of my family are Republicans and tend to vote for good fiscal conservatives. My Uncle is kindof a neocon and I think I've convinced him the war on terror is making us less safe. Not sure yet, but it's progress. Also, I've just discovered the new house my other Uncle moved to is in Cary, NC which is part of the the 4th Congressional District. B.J. Lawon, a RP Republican is running for Representative in that district so Uncle John will look into him and hopefully vote for him.

JAlli41
12-30-2007, 10:55 PM
a college professor was saying this stuff? that shines a new light on some of my teachers

coboman
12-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Yeah! Remember to make sure she votes.

Use the Buddy System described in this thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=50681)

Gtex
12-30-2007, 11:03 PM
I enjoyed your story friend. I had a similar experience. My Grandfather is 88 years old. He served in the Pacific Theater, World War II, United States Air Force.

Now let me preface by saying I hadn't seen or spoken to him in a good amount of time. I was able to spend some time with him for a few days. He watches O'Rilley almost religiously. He had not heard much of Ron Paul before I arrived. We began to talk about the good Doctor, discussing policy, stances, military service. The night went amazingly well. We had to get to sleep, we had a 4 hour drive ahead of us which was even more time to talk about Ron Paul to him.

The days progressed, Christmas came and passed, the family even spoke about the blimp. And I was lucky enough to drive him back home another four hours. This time, we listened to Fox News Radio on the Sirius for the drive. While hearing nothing mentioned on any of the live broadcasts, a curious thing did happen. A Ron Paul for President spot came on at the beginning of the drive. My Grandfather yelled at me to turn up the volume a little more. When the information regarding the donations from the military, I saw his eyebrows raise and grin a little. That started of a whole new conversation about Dr. Paul's platforms. A few hours down the road and still nothing from the live folks, a commercial break, and what do you know, our second Ron Paul for President ad came on. Another "Turn that up!" from the Gramps. We were delighted to say the least.

As my time with him ended and I was heading home, he informed me that he was now a Ron Paul supporter, and will do his part for America.
(Edit and he IS voting in the Texas Primary)

12-30-2007, 11:06 PM
I enjoyed your story friend. I had a similar experience. My Grandfather is 88 years old. He served in the Pacific Theater, World War II, United States Air Force.

Now let me preface by saying I hadn't seen or spoken to him in a good amount of time. I was able to spend some time with him for a few days. He watches O'Rilley almost religiously. He had not heard much of Ron Paul before I arrived. We began to talk about the good Doctor, discussing policy, stances, military service. The night went amazingly well. We had to get to sleep, we had a 4 hour drive ahead of us which was even more time to talk about Ron Paul to him.

The days progressed, Christmas came and passed, the family even spoke about the blimp. And I was lucky enough to drive him back home another four hours. This time, we listened to Fox News Radio on the Sirius for the drive. While hearing nothing mentioned on any of the live broadcasts, a curious thing did happen. A Ron Paul for President spot came on at the beginning of the drive. My Grandfather yelled at me to turn up the volume a little more. When the information regarding the donations from the military, I saw his eyebrows raise and grin a little. That started of a whole new conversation about Dr. Paul's platforms. A few hours down the road and still nothing from the live folks, a commercial break, and what do you know, our second Ron Paul for President ad came on. Another "Turn that up!" from the Gramps. We were delighted to say the least.

As my time with him ended and I was heading home, he informed me that he was now a Ron Paul supporter, and will do his part for America.
(Edit and he IS voting in the Texas Primary)

Wow, fantastic. You need to get him to offer his official endorsement to Ron on Ron's endorsements from military veterans page.