PDA

View Full Version : Hold it! $2300 limit reset?

Oliver
12-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Right now there is a lot of confusion in here, which
isn't surprising at all.

According to the last information I have, the $2300
limit will be reseted on January 1, 12.00 am. [Can
someone confirm this with source?]

Moneybombs are great - but unless we know how
big the support for Ron is, we shouldn't organize
anything. Just spend now and we will plan Money-
bombs as soon as we have the IOWA results.

Just spend now and don't panic - it wouldn't help
in any way at this point - thanks to all the different
opinions in here right now.

Jeremy
12-30-2007, 06:19 PM
I think all of the money bombs except tomorrow's are after Iowa... so promoting those can still wait a little I guess.

Ethek
12-30-2007, 06:20 PM
I thought it was for election cylce. Thats not really dependent on date I believe. Ron Paul's campaign is not taking money for the general election yet. So those capped at 2,300 will need to contribute to chip-ins, the blimp or some other effort until an official effort towards the general election starts.

derdy
12-30-2007, 06:20 PM
http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/fecfeca.shtml#Contribution_Limits

Oliver
12-30-2007, 06:27 PM
http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/fecfeca.shtml#Contribution_Limits

This means that the $2300 limit is for the whole
election cycle - not per year. Is that correct?

derdy
12-30-2007, 06:29 PM
This means that the $2300 limit is for the whole
election cycle - not per year. Is that correct?

The title of the table is "Contribution limits for 2007-2008" so on Jan 1st 2008 you can donate another $2300

adwads
12-30-2007, 06:30 PM
We have a moneybomb planned for Jan 17

derdy
12-30-2007, 06:33 PM
and next year the amount you can donate will increaase in 2009

* These contribution limits are increased for inflation in odd-numbered years.

Oliver
12-30-2007, 06:33 PM
We have a moneybomb planned for Jan 17

No. We have 7243568746 Moneybombs planned.
That's why we need to focus on one plan and starting
to agree on ONE day. So unless we don't know
the IOWA results, let's not freak out about ones
personal Moneybomb pet.

If you want to donate - just do it. In the meantime
we will focus on one big event as soon as the IOWA
results are out there...

ErikBlack
12-30-2007, 06:34 PM
The title of the table is "Contribution limits for 2007-2008" so on Jan 1st 2008 you can donate another $2300

I don't think so. It's $2,300 for the whole shebang. The whole election cycle. Once you've capped out you're done.

rooteroa
12-30-2007, 06:34 PM

Uhh no, the candidate table clearly states per election, while the others say per calendar year

Oliver
12-30-2007, 06:38 PM

This is crucial to know for fact. If the $2300 limit
will be reseted once the IWOA caucus starts, then
people should max out now - if they can afford it...

Otherwise, "Hold it" should be considered.

ADDED:

Can you ask someone from the official campaign?

derdy
12-30-2007, 06:38 PM
I don't think so. It's $2,300 for the whole shebang. The whole election cycle. Once you've capped out you're done.

Nope.

Contribution Limits--The FEC's limits on who can give how much in Presidential races are fairly complex but basically it comes down to this: an individual can give a candidate a maximum of $1,000 during the entire primary season and another $1,000 for the general election. PACs may give no more than $5,000 for the primaries, and as much again for the general election. Corporations, labor unions, and foreign nationals may not give at all.
There are of course a number of perfectly legal loopholes which make it possible to give far more than these limits allow.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/president/guide/glossary.html

How much may a house party attendee contribute to Ron Paul 2008 P.C.C.?

An individual may contribute up to a total of $2,300 for each campaign (i.e. primary, general).

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/get-involved/grass-roots-member-hosted-events-house-parties/

literatim
12-30-2007, 06:39 PM
You can give $2300 towards the primary election and $2300 towards the general election.

stevedasbach
12-30-2007, 06:41 PM

NO!!!!

You can only donate $2300 total for the primary campaign. Doesn't matter if it's 2007, 2008, or split between the two.

You can donate an additional $2300 for the general election, which can only be spent after Paul gets the Republican nomination.

european
12-30-2007, 06:41 PM
No. We have 7243568746 Moneybombs planned.
That's why we need to focus on one plan and starting
to agree on ONE day. So unless we don't know
the IOWA results, let's not freak out about ones
personal Moneybomb pet.

If you want to donate - just do it. In the meantime
we will focus on one big event as soon as the IOWA
results are out there...

we really should stick with the weekly friday moneybombs for direct results imo.
and a huge moneybomb can only be achieved if prepared decently. people need to know about it, a buzz has to be created. this takes a few weeks to reach its top. please have a look here http://ronpaulgraphs.com/teaparty_vs_nov5_members.html to see how long it takes to get a good list of pledges.
Today we aim for $19M, tomorrow for $20M (or more), and then its the weekly moneybombs on friday. And then the big one on jan 17th. cant make it a lot sooner, or the official campaign has to get involved. If you want to help, please focus on these targets. The infrastructure is in place for these already or being put in place as we speak. We need to make use of it, we have such a limited timeframe to work in.

for convenience i made with the help of the forummods an overview of these moneybombs which you can check out here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=249
call to everyone: PLEASE VOLUNTEER TO SPREAD THE WORD! (you can also do this on your own ofcourse) :)

derdy
12-30-2007, 06:42 PM
NO!!!!

You can only donate $2300 total for the primary campaign. Doesn't matter if it's 2007, 2008, or split between the two.

You can donate an additional $2300 for the general election, which can only be spent after Paul gets the Republican nomination.

Well, I was half-right =P

LukeNM
12-30-2007, 06:42 PM
+1

Oliver
12-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Well, I was half-right =P

Sum up the facts to get rid of any confusion.

mdevour
12-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Gentlemen,

It's $2300 for the entire primary season...

Once you have a nominee, the $2300 limit resets, but only then!

The few percent of donors who are maxxed out need to fund other projects like the on-the-ground organizing, independent ad buys, the blimp, or whatever...

For Liberty!

Mike D.

Oliver
12-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Gentlemen,

It's $2300 for the entire primary season...

Once you have a nominee, the $2300 limit resets, but only then!

The few percent of donors who are maxxed out need to fund other projects like the on-the-ground organizing, independent ad buys, the blimp, or whatever...

For Liberty!

Mike D.

Thank you for the clarification. Can you back it up with
official sources to bury the confusion once and for all?

derdy
12-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Thank you for the clarification. Can you back it up with
official sources to bury the confusion once and for all?

An individual may contribute up to a total of $2,300 for each campaign (i.e. primary, general).

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/get-involved/grass-roots-member-hosted-events-house-parties/

Jeremy
12-30-2007, 07:06 PM
People who reached it should donate to unofficial things... blimp... DVDs... whatever

Oliver
12-30-2007, 07:08 PM

I'm not an American, so let me ask:

Once the party chose it's candidate, you can spend
another 2300 Bucks, is this correct?

Sorry, but US elections suck in terms of democracy. :(

Cowlesy
12-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Once Ron wins the nomination, his campaign will open up the financial infrastructure to accept $2,300 General Election donations.

Until then, if you send over the $2,300 for the primary, it will be returned to you and drive Ron's small accounting stuff nuts with excessive paperwork.

If you hit $2,300..there are lots of great grassroots projects to chip in for!

derdy
12-30-2007, 07:13 PM

Yes, that is correct.

Oliver
12-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Yes, that is correct.

Okay. Which brings us back to the initial confusion.
The best thing seems to be to wait for the IOWA
results at this point. What is your stance?

Oliver
12-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Once Ron wins the nomination, his campaign will open up the financial infrastructure to accept $2,300 General Election donations.

Until then, if you send over the $2,300 for the primary, it will be returned to you and drive Ron's small accounting stuff nuts with excessive paperwork.

If you hit $2,300..there are lots of great grassroots projects to chip in for!

What do you mean by "returned"? If the money
is spend into ad's, there isn't any money left to
be returned, is there? :confused:

Eponym_mi
12-30-2007, 07:21 PM
The campaign could accept donations towards the general election now. However, they would have to be restricted/earmarked for that purpose. So, if you're maxed out already, you could send the money in and earmark it for the general....but it would have to be returned if RP doesn't run in the general. I seem to recall reading that Ghouliani and Clinton and others are already taking contributions for the general, so, no reason for RP not to do so.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/04/campaign.cash/index.html

Vizacar
12-30-2007, 07:22 PM

LOL, that's because we are a Constitutional Federal Republic. :p

Cowlesy
12-30-2007, 07:22 PM
What do you mean by "returned"? If the money
is spend into ad's, there isn't any money left to
be returned, is there? :confused:

They won't spend to the point where if say 100 people went over-kill by an additional $2,300 a person that they couldn't issue you a check.

Theoretically if they did spend themselves to zero, and people over-donated, the campaign would be required to borrow to payback those who over-donated.

Oliver
12-30-2007, 07:24 PM
The campaign could accept donations towards the general election now. However, they would have to be restricted/earmarked for that purpose. So, if you're maxed out already, you could send the money in and earmark it for the general....but it would have to be returned if RP doesn't run in the general. I seem to recall reading that Ghouliani and Clinton and others are already taking contributions for the general, so, no reason for RP not to do so.

I will check your link now - but may I ask:
Why the heck are US-elections so complicated
with trillions of different State-rules, Delegates
voting FOR you, Fundraising and all the other
undemocratic stuff? It's a mess from my non-
American POV...

Oliver
12-30-2007, 07:25 PM
They won't spend to the point where if say 100 people went over-kill by an additional $2,300 a person that they couldn't issue you a check.

Theoretically if they did spend themselves to zero, and people over-donated, the campaign would be required to borrow to payback those who over-donated.

Here's my honest reply:

ARRRRGH!!! :mad:

RonPaulVolunteer
12-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Not bothering to read every post here, but I know for a fact that the $2300 is for the Nomination only. Once he wins the nomination, you can give an additional $2300, for a total of $4600.

Oliver
12-30-2007, 07:32 PM

Okay - so CNN says:

Campaign finance laws limit the amount an individual can contribute to a candidate during the primary cycle to $2,300. At the same time, individuals can contribute another $2,300 to a candidate for the general election.

I take this as face value - even if they also don't
seem to think that it would be reasonable to cite
sources for their stance.

Thunderbolt
12-30-2007, 07:43 PM
The 2300 for primaries and 2300 for the main election is my understanding as well.

Although a while back there was a sticky that said something about being able to donate to his house campaign as well and that he could possibly use that money for the main election too. Anyone know any of the rules on that?

smartpeople4ronpaul
12-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Confusion. Love it.

Arek
12-30-2007, 07:52 PM
well it's limited to 2300 for the primary and 2300 for the general election. Hillary Clinton has already accepted 4600 from quite a few donors, for both cycles.

Corydoras
12-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Why the heck are US-elections so complicated
with trillions of different State-rules, Delegates
voting FOR you, Fundraising and all the other
undemocratic stuff? It's a mess from my non-
American POV...

Larry Sabato, a political scientist at the University of Virginia, is the scholar that the media always asks about elections. He says:

It all goes back to the fact that our founding fathers did not believe in mass democracy, and they did not support the idea of political parties

The article this quote came from, in Salon.com, is really very good (and horrifying):
http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2007/10/08/presidential_primary/

Myerz
12-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Hey.....Hey!

Don't you think Ron ( or at least HQ) will let us know if we can give more? I would think he would be the first one to tell you the limit resets on Jan 1 2008.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-30-2007, 08:15 PM
well it's limited to 2300 for the primary and 2300 for the general election. Hillary Clinton has already accepted 4600 from quite a few donors, for both cycles.

She can accept it, but she can't spend it.

Oliver
12-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Larry Sabato, a political scientist at the University of Virginia, is the scholar that the media always asks about elections. He says:

The article this quote came from, in Salon.com, is really very good (and horrifying):
http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2007/10/08/presidential_primary/

Thank you for the link, Corydoras.

I don't understand why "The People" didn't change
this by now. To me it would be more than outrageous
to see those undemocratic rules being imposed on
voters here. Especially since most average citizens
don't understand the US regulations without studying
all the different rules involved.

But the most outrageous thing are the Delegates
voting in your name instead getting your vote
out. Why didn't that change in the meantime?

And I don't even mention the third parties who
might have awesome policies as well - which will
go down anyway since the Media can air whatever
they want, ignoring 50% of other opinions...

Hangly Man
12-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Moneybombs aren't just about money, they're about publicity.

Cowlesy
12-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Guys - Don't give more than the $2,300 Primary Election Limit at this time.

In Q3 I donated an extra $1,000, and the campaign treasurer had to reconcile my records and cut me a check for the $1,000 over-donation. It takes up their time and resources.

Hillary has such a huge campaign infrastructure that they've already setup all the bank accounts/legal structure/etc so as to be able to receive General Election donations.

Ron's campaign, at least at the end of Q3, has not gone ahead and setup the ability to receive general election donations.

All4Paul
12-30-2007, 09:43 PM
It's easy to give more. I'm sure we all have friends who can give $2300...just pass along the cash and let them donate in their name. Some of us ...uhmm...have done this a few times...uhumm....cough cough...i personally would never do such a thing of course.