PDA

View Full Version : Pump up the volume! Greenville Radio Ads

MozoVote
07-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Hey, folks, I just agreed to buy 30 overnight spots on a Greenville music station at very reasonable prices! I'm driving to Greenville tonight, so that I can drop a check in the mail at the central PO and hopefully it will land on the salesperson's desk tomorrow.

Anyone that has been donating in the $200 range, that wants to try something different, leave a reply here or PM me. I got some quotes from a few other stations too that were not too bad... I simply went for the best deal.

Overnight spots work best in heavy repetition, but we may also be able to buy some "remnant" daytime spots on sale later in the week, just before Ron arrives.

Also, does anyone in Charlotte have a good setup for recording? I may be able to manage with what I have, but it could sound cheesy. It would be great if I can meet up with someone first thing in the morning (or late tonight if you're a nightowl anyway.)

Oh well, off to Greenville. Should be back around 10:30-11:00 est

Lord Xar
07-12-2007, 04:52 PM
MAKE SURE THE RECORDING IS DONE BY A PROFESSIONAL VOICE OVER.. that is very very important.. AND I would use that blurb that was posted in the other ad..

You know what I am talking about.

But seriously, if you do not get someone who actually does VOICEOVER work, it will sound very unprofessional. Everyone thinks they have a great voice.. but you want to come off as professional...

If you could use both a man and a women, that might work too...

austinphish
07-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Well to start sorry, but I am graduate student and currently maxed out at $600+ in donations, but I like your spirit, and I wanted to say you don't have to get a professional voice over - you can be completely original with this - it is your airtime and maybe something new and funky will get noticed over the same old voice over B.S.

UCFGavin
07-12-2007, 04:58 PM
not a bad idea. did you do some research about the spots you're getting the advertisement on, and also the specific times?

Razmear
07-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Which station are they going to air on?
Someone in my Meetup is trying to get Hawk and Tom (93.3FM Greenville morning drive show) to interview Ron Paul.

eb

MozoVote
07-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Ha, well I couldn't quite make the last mail pickup in Greenville so the station may get my money on Monday. :) Hopefully they'll take my word or maybe the spots will have to run Tues-Sat.

I'm not worried about how I sound, I hear plenty of hicks on the radio hawking their wares. I used to do reading for the blind, and the students would request me over some of the other readers, so I think I can do fine.

Main thing, I just need to find somewhere to record. (I know an old friend north of town with some gear, but he's a Democrat, lol)

Seriously, if anyone else wants to do some media buys, I think there is going to be remnant air available that week. We are not that far into the election, and it's not a holiday week with lots of merchant sales and activities going on.

Write down a message and practise speaking it. Get it to fit in 30 seconds. Call some stations and negotiate!

MozoVote
07-13-2007, 05:55 AM
Bump. Only 8 days to the SC appearances. This may be the best way to reach people in upstate, (short of going to public events and handing out flyers.)

Do anyone want to make some ads? I still plan to record my own, but if we get a free selection of MP3s and WAVs on here, then any third party contributor could make buys for air time, without trying to create their own. Imagine this becoming the start of a Ron Paul radio ad library! :D

By the way, you do need to sign a form that identifies yourself when buying political advertising. But you don't have to identify yourself on the air, unless you are attacking an opposing candididate.

Razmear
07-13-2007, 06:00 AM
Hi Mozo,
There is some great background music in the video on RonPaul2008.com about the Iowa rally. A good rock Ron Paul tune at about 7:45 and a country one near the end.
I posted another thread trying to get info about the bands/MP3s so I could forward them to local radio here.
They might work good in the ad spots too.

Which stations are you buying air time on? 93.3 and 93.7 have the best morning drive shows, but their ad rates might be on the steep side.

I'm in Anderson SC, so if there is any research I can do on this end, just let me know.

Eric

nayjevin
07-13-2007, 06:01 AM
www.ronpaulaudio.com

MozoVote
07-13-2007, 06:05 AM
Mine are on FM 102.5 (soft rock), and these are just overnight spots. But I've asked Clear Channel if they'd be willing to negotiate for remnant air time in the middle of the week, and they will consider it.

I'm trying to get a price list together for more stations. Unfortunately most of them are just blowing off my questions, since the sales people want bigger buys than a few hundred bucks at a time.

I have not tried the religious stations, and that may be another avenue. If someone can record a faith-based spot, I bet you could get very affordable air time on them.

Razmear
07-13-2007, 06:13 AM
Someone located that song for me:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=6946

eb

MozoVote
07-13-2007, 06:15 AM
Here is some of the response that I have recieved when I asked about making a $200 purchase.

==========================

Michelle Hood
National Sales Manager
Entercom Greenville
WROQ-FM, WSPA-FM, WTPT-FM
WFBC-FM, WORD-AM, WGVC-FM
864-241-4288

(She said pricing varies too much to explain in e-mail, but at least she did reply and she can schedule ads in several stations.)

=======================================

WKSF in Hendersonville:

Monday-Sunday 6am-12 midnight (30 second) 4 times $50 each. We have very little unsold inventory.Please feel free to call me at 828-216-5290 if you would like to discuss further. 12 midnight to 5a (30 seconds) $20 No minimum purchase of daytime spots to buy overnights...We allow advertisers one commercial per hour. Thank You for your interest in WKSF. You have a good concept.

Carolyn Pike

(It's a little more per spot than I wanted to spend, but it's not out of the question. Maybe she could find better pricing, for more than buying $200 at a time).

Razmear
07-13-2007, 06:19 AM
I've never heard of WKSF, but WROQ 101.1 is a decent classic rock station that probably has a good third shift listening audience.

eb

MozoVote
07-13-2007, 06:35 AM
I just called Mix 106 and asked for them to return my call with some quotes. That's a good "wake-up" station, I'm hoping the general manager is willing to bargain.

Spirit of '76
07-13-2007, 07:58 AM
You rule.

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-13-2007, 08:11 AM
How about getting some ads on political talk stations? THAT's the audience we need to reach, the primary voters. They're worth 10X each what one music station listener is worth, so even if it costs more, you can buy fewer ads and get more bang for the buck.

But I'm ecstatic that you're doing this!

MozoVote
07-13-2007, 11:05 AM
Probably the way to really do this is to organize a media pool of funds and then negotiate. If someone was calling stations with a bankroll like car dealerships and chain restaurants have... that would get some attention from the sales people.

A decent sized meetup might have 50 people. Just $30 each would be $1500, and even that much might be enough to make the difference as to getting calls returned.

BuddyRey
07-13-2007, 11:09 AM
I just called Mix 106 and asked for them to return my call with some quotes. That's a good "wake-up" station, I'm hoping the general manager is willing to bargain.

Sweet! I love Mix 106!

For anyone in the Charlotte area, another great bet would be 99.7 the Fox. I'll bet its curmudgeon-at-large Robert D. Raiford would endorse Dr. Paul!

rich34
07-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Try the gospel radio stations! Those are the people in the south that we really need.

MozoVote
07-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Quick bump here. I did get another sales contact (from Infinity, I think) to return my call and we had a good conversation over my lunch break. I believe he understands what we're trying to do, although he said there may not be time to dig into the schedule on Friday afternoon, and give me a survey of available air time. The kinds of budgets I'm recommending ($100-$300) didn't dissuade him, so I'll try to reach him again Monday and see if I can get specifics.

Those of you active on YouTube, should put some 30 second spots together! Even if we don't this going, at least you have some spots for another region to try out.

MozoVote
07-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Here is the 30 second spot:

/deleted/

There's a little bit of microphone hum in the background... I will hunt around for another mic and re-try later. (Possibly on my mother's Mac.) But if someone can clean this spot up, I may use it. I would like to get a couple different versions, and pick the best sounding one.

DeadheadForPaul
07-15-2007, 11:02 AM
I thought it was a great ad other than the hum you mentioned. Maybe you can drop in "Dr. Paul" ? and also "10 term representative" ;)

Good use of "For President"!!! bonus points

MozoVote
07-15-2007, 11:15 AM
I have found a better mic. The hum is gone but I have to be careful with "P" and "B" making sputters.

I will post a retry in a bit... :)

MozoVote
07-15-2007, 11:49 AM
I've nailed it! :D

This spot is public domain. Freely share with anyone that wants it. Play it on any radio station you can buy air time on.

http://sdarwag.home.mindspring.com/RonPaul/GreenvillePaulAnnounceM2d.wav

Lord Xar
07-15-2007, 12:12 PM
not bad at all.. better than I thought.

but of course, you know me... I would have included the "tough on illegal immigration" thingy :-)

Remember, people are fed up with a few things..

1. War
2. Illegal Immigration
3. Taxes

I would add in the illegal immigration thing, but I don't know what the demographic is out there..

othewise, I think you did a good job. --

torchbearer
07-15-2007, 12:57 PM
I have found a better mic. The hum is gone but I have to be careful with "P" and "B" making sputters.

I will post a retry in a bit... :)

If you are getting pops from your P's and B's trying getting a pair of women's pantyhose and stretch them over a hanger and hold it between your mouth and the mic. Yes. I'm dead serious. I've done studio records for 10 years and its a poor man's "popper stopper".

torchbearer
07-15-2007, 12:59 PM
also, check the FEC laws on political ads, you may have to state who paid for it and the end.

MozoVote
07-15-2007, 09:17 PM
My understanding, is that I have to identify myself if I discuss the positions of a different candidate than I endorsed. This is really just an informational spot without any "heat" to it, so I think I'm OK. It's up to the station to turn it down.

SeanEdwards
07-15-2007, 09:31 PM
MAKE SURE THE RECORDING IS DONE BY A PROFESSIONAL VOICE OVER.. that is very very important.. AND I would use that blurb that was posted in the other ad..

You know what I am talking about.

But seriously, if you do not get someone who actually does VOICEOVER work, it will sound very unprofessional. Everyone thinks they have a great voice.. but you want to come off as professional...

If you could use both a man and a women, that might work too...

Ron's campaign should hire Fred Thompson to do some voice-over spots.

LibertyEagle
07-15-2007, 09:53 PM
I heard Imus was cheap these days.

MozoVote
07-15-2007, 10:10 PM
I think it's OK as is. At least until 30 days before the primary.

From the FEC website:
--------------------

Individuals and Other Persons.

A disclaimer must appear on any "electioneering communication" (defined below) and on any public communication by any person that expressly advocates the election or defeat of a clearly identified candidate or solicits funds in connection with a federal election.

As defined in FEC regulations, an “electioneering communication” is a broadcast, cable or satellite communication that fulfills each of the following conditions:

Refers to a clearly identified federal candidate;
Is publicly distributed within 30 days before a primary election or within 60 days before a general election; and
In the case of Congressional candidates only, is "targeted to the relevant electorate"(can be received by 50,000 or more persons in the district or state the candidate seeks to represent)

MozoVote
07-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Well, WMYI (102.5 FM) told me the spots I purchased on my own, before the pledge drive, did air yesterday. I don't know how I could have missed them. Maybe the streaming has different ads than the airwaves?

Anyway, this is the checkoff I recieved this morning. Looks like they bent their 1-spot-per hour rule to get all mine in.

http://sdarwag.home.mindspring.com/RonPaul/wmyi_spot_sched.pdf

MozoVote
07-20-2007, 01:06 AM
I had to know for sure... especially since I'd taken money online from people...

So tonight, I did a midnight drive to Spartanburg and back. The spots are definately running on six stations, with both Clear Channel and Entercom.

WORD seems to be a very local station because I needed to get pretty close to Spartanburg to pick it up. But FM 93.7, 98.9 and 102.5 I can pick up all the way back to Charlotte.

I think Clear Channel (102.5) will stop this morning. But there should be more spots on Entercom's stations up through early morning Saturday.

Dan Klaus
07-20-2007, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the update MozoVote..