PDA

View Full Version : To become a politician

cien750hp
12-30-2007, 02:11 AM
please do not move this for a while as i would like some answers and this is the best place to get them.

I am currently in high school, and i absolutely love Ron Paul. I actually realize how corrupt this country and government are and i am not willing to sit by while it is taken over and bankrupted etc. So, i have always been fairly interested in politics, though i used to believe the war in iraq was needed and all, but now i really am into it.

So, what is my best route to becoming a politician? Since you can't even get to congress until 25 and such i am thinking maybe i'll become a police officer before. Plus I'd probably like to start out in state legislature before trying national.

So what would you recommend? Go to law school, and study constitutional law? Study something else and learn everything from reading? Go to school in DC to intern or stay far away from DC?

PimpBlimp
12-30-2007, 02:13 AM
We need less lawyers in government. Go to school and get a degree in something you like. Maybe join the military as an officer for a few years.

Cleaner44
12-30-2007, 02:15 AM
Here in AZ a Precinct Commiteeman is the lowest level in politics and is where a lot starts. Look at getting involved in your local area.

Aron98831@msn.com
12-30-2007, 02:19 AM
student government, high school and college, win SBP at a big school, its not that hard, i have helped 3 different people do it. when are a freshman in college, help out someone that is running, that way you are in the loop.

AlexAmore
12-30-2007, 02:20 AM
Live the most perfect life EVER. Many expert researchers will dig up your past. So being a cop might be a tough route to take as things can become pretty iffy as far as your judgement calls in tough situations and you might have to explain yourself and not everyone will believe you....and just BS like that.

idiom
12-30-2007, 02:21 AM
Join the Army, for a bit, maybe get your degree through them.

Trigonx
12-30-2007, 02:22 AM
I've also recently had the idea of becoming a politician creep into my head once I learned and fell in love with Ron Paul's message.

Scott Wilson
12-30-2007, 02:24 AM
Statesman

Politician is a dirty word these days. :)

stevedasbach
12-30-2007, 03:20 AM
please do not move this for a while as i would like some answers and this is the best place to get them.

I am currently in high school, and i absolutely love Ron Paul. I actually realize how corrupt this country and government are and i am not willing to sit by while it is taken over and bankrupted etc. So, i have always been fairly interested in politics, though i used to believe the war in iraq was needed and all, but now i really am into it.

So, what is my best route to becoming a politician? Since you can't even get to congress until 25 and such i am thinking maybe i'll become a police officer before. Plus I'd probably like to start out in state legislature before trying national.

So what would you recommend? Go to law school, and study constitutional law? Study something else and learn everything from reading? Go to school in DC to intern or stay far away from DC?

1. Become successful in your chosen career.
2. Become active in your community.
3. THEN run for public office

RichardC
12-30-2007, 03:48 AM
the best politicians, i think, are public servants first. you need to learn how to serve your community and country. being a police officer, being in the armed services, being an active community contributor, will all make it possible for you to run for office because you'll have the bonifides and voters will see that.

remain clean. be socially and financially responsible. when you make a mistake, own up to it. being a good public servant means you will always give more than you take.

above all remain positive and forward looking. educate yourself, read books, become informed. learn to debate as well as listen. you must learn how to be both a good leader and a good follower.

if you stayed focused on all of that i'm sure you could become a congressman at 25 =)

ionlyknowy
12-30-2007, 04:26 AM
if you are shooting for the big leagues in congress then you might want to look into some form of grad school... like JD, MBA, or MD. Make sure you go to a name brand school...

Primbs
12-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Learn salesmanship because fundraising is important.

Get a good foundation in your conservative/libertarian philosophy and read the bible because many America's traditions relate to the bible.

Definitely become a political activist because there many things in campaigns that they don't teach in school which will determine your ultimate success.

Paul4Prez
12-30-2007, 02:54 PM
1. Become successful in your chosen career.
2. Become active in your community.
3. THEN run for public office

Great advice.

Along the way, study the issues that matter to you, like Ron Paul has done with monetary policy.

Become a great public speaker. It is a skill that can be learned, regardless of your current level. Join Toastmasters at http://www.toastmasters.org. Not only will you learn to give a prepared speech, you will get practice at giving quick short answers to impromptu questions, and you will meet other success-oriented people in your community.

Law school is the most common path to elected office in state legislatures and the Congress, but it's not a requirement. Starting and running a successful business also gives you credibility with voters and leadership experience.

nate895
12-30-2007, 04:14 PM

I'm in your situation and here's my plan;

1. Get good grades, work hard, get along with absolutely everyone (unless they're a total donkey, and won't be the least bit successful)
2. Join speech and debate, you can learn about speaking, and most kids are interested in the same things as you
3. Go to a good college, pick whatever you're interested in as long as you aren't an ambulance chasing lawyer or defense attorney (Constitutional Law is OK)
4. Make sure you own your own business, or are a professional (Doctor, Lawyer, etc.) so that you have something to fall back on when things don't go so hot on election night.
5. Make sure you represent the people and not special interests when you are elected, otherwise you're gonna be the first to go when a 1994 or 2006 happens

RockHoward
12-30-2007, 04:20 PM
"Make sure you own your own business, or are a professional (Doctor, Lawyer, etc.) so that you have something to fall back on when things don't go so hot on election night."

Even if you win, we need citizen statesmen, not career politicians. Make sure you can walk away from it all and still have a good liveliehood. Otherwise you might become dependent on the government paycheck and that reality could blunt your effectiveness in office.

GoApe4RonPaul2008
12-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Our first congressmen and senators didnt have all this hot shot education.. All they knew was the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and of course.. freedom.. So my question is... As long as you are for the People and not special interest... and you adhere to the constitution... And you are a lover of Freedom... isn't that enough? I mean yes.. you do need communication skills.

nate895
12-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Our first congressmen and senators didnt have all this hot shot education.. All they knew was the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and of course.. freedom.. So my question is... As long as you are for the People and not special interest... and you adhere to the constitution... And you are a lover of Freedom... isn't that enough? I mean yes.. you do need communication skills.

Back then, everyone was a freedom lover, and nobody tried to sneak bills that trample civil rights through, we need people who are committed to reading every single bill that comes up. As long as you do that, it doesn't matter what your education level is.

nate895
12-30-2007, 06:49 PM
"Make sure you own your own business, or are a professional (Doctor, Lawyer, etc.) so that you have something to fall back on when things don't go so hot on election night."

Even if you win, we need citizen statesmen, not career politicians. Make sure you can walk away from it all and still have a good liveliehood. Otherwise you might become dependent on the government paycheck and that reality could blunt your effectiveness in office.

I would never want to become dependent on the government. I'm not sure exactly what I want to do yet (doctor is not one of my options). I want to own a lot of land, and live in the country, that's about all I can say for that right now.

Corydoras
12-30-2007, 08:57 PM
In university, a future politico does best to study political science and American history. Double-major in them if you can.

Parenthetically:
I'm glad that being a physician is not an option for you. Medical education is not like in Dr. Paul's day. A physician does an undergraduate degree (4 years), then med school (3 years), then a residency (3+ years), then a fellowship (1 to 4 years), and finally ends up as a junior staff physician AND $200k+ in debt. That's before the car, the spouse, the house, the kids, and the dog.

nate895
12-30-2007, 11:07 PM
[SIZE="3"]
Parenthetically:
I'm glad that being a physician is not an option for you. Medical education is not like in Dr. Paul's day. A physician does an undergraduate degree (4 years), then med school (3 years), then a residency (3+ years), then a fellowship (1 to 4 years), and finally ends up as a junior staff physician AND $200k+ in debt. That's before the car, the spouse, the house, the kids, and the dog.

I don't want to be a physician because all the hours they have to work, I mean I know some doctors who are at work for 70 hours straight. One that just gave my mom a kidney transplant flew to the East Coast (Philly, I think) then flew all the way back Portland, OR, just to get two kidneys. I don't know how the man does it, he was even working on Thanksgiving.

P.S. I was planning on studying American History, I wasn't sure what I wanted my other major to be because the only option with a history degree is to teach in some capacity.

christagious
01-04-2008, 02:02 PM
We need less lawyers in government. Go to school and get a degree in something you like. Maybe join the military as an officer for a few years.

Do NOT join the military unless RP wins

lbadragan
01-07-2008, 09:35 PM
I don't understand how anyone would join the military. Don't soldiers realize that if they're ordered to participate in an immoral war and kill innocent people (aka collateral damage) their only choice is to bloody their hands or go to jail? Soldiers are slaves to the state.

The military should be on a 100% voluntary basis. If it was, there would be NO wars of aggession and occupation. NONE.

GoApe4RonPaul2008
01-15-2008, 01:35 AM
Would it be better to take a college course on constitutional law or Read a bunch of books? -regarding becoming a congressman of the united states. Thanks.

-Chris

daniroyer
01-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Check out the requiements for local and state office. I'm turning 24 in Feb and I'm running for a seat in my state congress because you only have to be 21.

I know many local offices start at 18. I remember hearing a story of a guy who was mayor while he was still in high school.

Other than that, just get involved!