PDA

View Full Version : Benjamin Franklin Quotes for new money bomb website

enjoiskaterguy
12-30-2007, 01:54 AM
******Benjamin Franklin quotes*******(more to come as I do more research)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. "

"There is no kind of dishonesty into which otherwise good people more easily and frequently fall than that of defrauding the government. "

" I think that a young state, like a young virgin, should modestly stay at home, and wait the application of suitors for an alliance with her; and not run about offering her amity to all the world; and hazarding their refusal. Our virgin is a jolly one; and tho at present not very rich, will in time be a great fortune, and where she has a favorable predisposition, it seems to me well worth cultivating. "

"Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that's the stuff life is made of."

"All human situations have their inconveniences. We feel those of the present but neither see nor feel those of the future; and hence we often make troublesome changes without amendment, and frequently for the worse. "

"Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society."

"He that can have patience can have what he will. "

"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."

"He that would live in peace and at ease, must not speak all he knows nor judge all he sees."

"The absent are never without fault. Nor the present without excuse"

"Words may show a man's wit but actions his meaning"

" The discontented man finds no easy chair. "

" What has become clear to you since we last met? " No nation was ever ruined by trade. "

" Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. "

" Who is wise? He that learns from everyone. Who is powerful? He that governs his passions. Who is rich? He who is content. Who is that? Nobody. "

" An old young man, will be a young old man. " At twenty years of age the will reigns; at thirty, the wit; and at forty, the judgment. "

" If you wouldn't live long, live well; for folly and wickedness shorten life. "

" Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young. "

" In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes. "

" Sloth, like rust, consumes faster than labor wears, while the used key is always bright. "

" The great secret of succeeding in conversation is to admire little, to hear much; always to distrust our own reason, and sometimes that of our friends; never to pretend to wit, but to make that of others appear as much as possibly we can; to hearken to what is said and to answer to the purpose. Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed. "

" He was so learned that he could name a horse in nine languages; so ignorant that he bought a cow to ride on. "

" Our new Constitution is now established, and has an appearance that promises permanency; but in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes. "

" While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us. "

" If you would know the value of money try to borrow some. "

" Rather go to bed with out dinner than to rise in debt. "

" Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. "

" If you desire many things, many things will seem few. "

" He that blows the coals in quarrels that he has nothing to do with, has no right to complain if the sparks fly in his face. "

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper."

" A single man has not nearly the value he would have in a state of union. He is an incomplete animal. He resembles the odd half of a pair of scissors. "

" Reading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man. "

" When you're finished changing, you're finished. "

" Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship. "

" A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one. Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. "

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

"A great empire, like a great cake, is most easily diminished at the edges."

"A life of leisure and a life of laziness are two things. There will be sleeping enough in the grave."

"A penny saved is a penny earned."

"All mankind is divided into three classes: those that are immovable, those that are movable, and those that move."

"All wars are follies, very expensive and very mischievous ones."

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest."

"And whether you're an honest man, or whether you're a thief,Depends on whose solicitor has given me my brief."

"Anger is never without a reason, but seldom with a good one."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"

"Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man."

"Beauty and folly are old companions."

"Diligence is the mother of good luck."

"Do good to your friends to keep them, to your enemies to win them."

"Energy and persistence conquer all things."

"Even peace may be purchased at too high a price."

"Experience is a dear teacher, but fools will learn at no other."

"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself."

"There was never a good war, or a bad peace."

"Those who govern, having much business on their hands, do not generally like to take the trouble of considering and carrying into execution new projects. The best public measures are therefore seldom adopted from previous wisdom, but forced by the occasion."

"Wars are not paid for in wartime, the bill comes later."

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

"Wealth is not his that has it, but his that enjoys it."

"When will mankind be convinced and agree to settle their difficulties by arbitration?"

"Where liberty is, there is my country."

"Where there's marriage without love, there will be love without marriage."

"You may delay, but time will not."

"A house is not a home unless it contains food and fire for the mind as well as the body."

adwads
12-30-2007, 01:57 AM
Benjamin Franklin: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. "

Invading Muslim Countries!!

Trigonx
12-30-2007, 01:57 AM
" Our new Constitution is now established, and has an appearance that promises permanency; but in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes. "

I like this one. damn taxes...

aspiringconstitutionalist
12-30-2007, 01:58 AM
Nice quotes! You should post them in the Franklin moneybomb thread, so we can have a reference of all the moneybomb site related ideas in one thread :D

enjoiskaterguy
12-30-2007, 02:54 AM
will do.

Joe3113
12-30-2007, 03:21 AM
Benjamin Franklin: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. "

Invading Muslim Countries!!

I found out that quote is misattributed to Franklin as well as to Albert Einstein.

The quote also doesn't make sense when you consider the concept of 'practice makes perfect'

BeFranklin
12-30-2007, 04:59 AM
"Let us all hang together, or we'll all hang separately" - Benjamin Franklin

"Be good to thy Friend to keep him, to thy enemy to gain him." - Benjamin Franklin

"Honesty is the best policy" - Benjamin Franklin

"Anger is never without Reason, but seldom with a good One." - Benjamin Franklin

Mrs. Powel anxiously awaited the results, and as Benjamin Franklin emerged from the long task now finished, asked him directly: "Well Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?" "A republic if you can keep it" responded Franklin.
http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2000/cr020200.htm
FYI Ron Paul's article is the first on google for this quote!

"Pray, Father Abraham, what think you of the times? Won't these heavy taxes quite ruin the country? How shall we be ever able to pay them? What would you advise us to?" Father Abraham stood up, and replied, "If you'd have my advice, I'll give it you in short, for a word to the wise is enough, and many words won't fill a bushel, as Poor Richard says." They joined in desiring him to speak his mind, and gathering round him, he proceeded as follows: "Friends, says he, and neighbors, the taxes are indeed very heavy, and if those laid on by the government were the only ones we had to pay, we might more easily discharge them; but we have many others, and much more grievous to some of us. We are taxed twice as much by our idleness, three times as much by our pride, and four times as much by our folly, and from these taxes the commissioners cannot ease or deliver us by allowing an abatement. However let us hearken to good advice, and something may be done for us; God helps them that help themselves."
"The Way To Wealth" Benjamin Franklin

Mr. President:

The small progress we have made after 4 or five weeks close attendance & continual reasonings with each other -- our different sentiments on almost every question, several of the last producing as many noes as ays, is methinks a melancholy proof of the imperfection of the Human Understanding. We indeed seem to feel our own wont of political wisdom, since we have been running about in search of it. We have gone back to ancient history for models of government, and examined the different forms of those Republics which having been formed with the seeds of their own dissolution now no longer exist. And we have viewed Modern States all round Europe, but find none of their Constitutions suitable to our circumstances.

In this situation of this Assembly groping as it were in the dark to find political truth, and scarce able to distinguish it when to us, how has it happened, Sir, that we have not hitherto once thought of humbly applying to the Father of lights to illuminate our understandings? In the beginning of the contest with G. Britain, when we were sensible of danger we had daily prayer in this room for the Divine Protection. -- Our prayers, Sir, were heard, and they were graciously answered. All of us who were engaged in the struggle must have observed frequent instances of a Superintending providence in our favor. To that kind providence we owe this happy opportunity of consulting in peace on the means of establishing our future national felicity. And have we now forgotten that powerful friend? or do we imagine that we no longer need His assistance.

I have lived, Sir, a long time and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth -- that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid? We have been assured, Sir, in the sacred writings that "except the Lord build they labor in vain that build it." I firmly believe this; and I also believe that without his concurring aid we shall succeed in this political building no better than the Builders of Babel: We shall be divided by our little partial local interests; our projects will be confounded, and we ourselves shall be become a reproach and a bye word down to future age. And what is worse, mankind may hereafter this unfortunate instance, despair of establishing Governments by Human Wisdom, and leave it to chance, war, and conquest.

I therefore beg leave to move -- that henceforth prayers imploring the assistance of Heaven, and its blessings on our deliberations, be held in this Assembly every morning before we proceed to business, and that one or more of the Clergy of this City be requested to officiate in that service.
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/benfranklin.htm

Mr. President

I confess that there are several parts of this constitution which I do not at present approve, but I am not sure I shall never approve them: For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged by better information, or fuller consideration, to change opinions even on important subjects, which I once thought right, but found to be otherwise. It is therefore that the older I grow, the more apt I am to doubt my own judgment, and to pay more respect to the judgment of others. Most men indeed as well as most sects in Religion, think themselves in possession of all truth, and that wherever others differ from them it is so far error. Steele a Protestant in a Dedication tells the Pope, that the only difference between our Churches in their opinions of the certainty of their doctrines is, the Church of Rome is infallible and the Church of England is never in the wrong. But though many private persons think almost as highly of their own infallibility as of that of their sect, few express it so naturally as a certain french lady, who in a dispute with her sister, said "I don't know how it happens, Sister but I meet with no body but myself, that's always in the right-Il n'y a que moi qui a toujours raison."

In these sentiments, Sir, I agree to this Constitution with all its faults, if they are such; because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of Government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered, and believe farther that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in Despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic Government, being incapable of any other. I doubt too whether any other Convention we can obtain, may be able to make a better Constitution. For when you assemble a number of men to have the advantage of their joint wisdom, you inevitably assemble with those men, all their prejudices, their passions, their errors of opinion, their local interests, and their selfish views. From such an assembly can a perfect production be expected? It therefore astonishes me, Sir, to find this system approaching so near to perfection as it does; and I think it will astonish our enemies, who are waiting with confidence to hear that our councils are confounded like those of the Builders of Babel; and that our States are on the point of separation, only to meet hereafter for the purpose of cutting one another's throats. Thus I consent, Sir, to this Constitution because I expect no better, and because I am not sure, that it is not the best. The opinions I have had of its errors, I sacrifice to the public good. I have never whispered a syllable of them abroad. Within these walls they were born, and here they shall die. If every one of us in returning to our Constituents were to report the objections he has had to it, and endeavor to gain partizans in support of them, we might prevent its being generally received, and thereby lose all the salutary effects & great advantages resulting naturally in our favor among foreign Nations as well as among ourselves, from our real or apparent unanimity. Much of the strength & efficiency of any Government in procuring and securing happiness to the people, depends, on opinion, on the general opinion of the goodness of the Government, as well as well as of the wisdom and integrity of its Governors. I hope therefore that for our own sakes as a part of the people, and for the sake of posterity, we shall act heartily and unanimously in recommending this Constitution (if approved by Congress & confirmed by the Conventions) wherever our influence may extend, and turn our future thoughts & endeavors to the means of having it well administred.

On the whole, Sir, I can not help expressing a wish that every member of the Convention who may still have objections to it, would with me, on this occasion doubt a little of his own infallibility, and to make manifest our unanimity, put his name to this instrument.
http://www.usconstitution.net/franklin.html

Franklin's autobiography
http://www.bartleby.com/1/1/

BeFranklin
12-30-2007, 05:07 AM
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper."

I haven't heard this quote before, and it seems to go against what Franklin thought in his Autobiography. I don't believe he was a big drinker. ie "early to bed, and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise."

BeFranklin
12-30-2007, 05:09 AM
"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself."

The Declaration of Independence is what has the phrase pursuit of happiness, so this is probably not accurate.

Man from La Mancha
12-30-2007, 05:13 AM

The Declaration of Independence is what has the pursuit of happiness, so this is probably not accurate. Might try a different site.
Benjamin Franklin
He that blows the coals in quarrels that he has nothing to do with, has no right to complain if the sparks fly in his face.

He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else.
Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin Franklin
If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write something worth reading or do things worth the writing.

Benjamin Franklin
Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment

Benjamin Franklin
Search others for their virtues, thyself for thy vices.[/QUOTE]

BeFranklin
12-30-2007, 05:32 AM
God made beer because he loves us and wants us to be happy.

The quote, and its many variants, has been widely attributed to Franklin; however, there has never been an authoritative source for the quote, and research indicates that it is very likely a misquotation of Franklin's words regarding wine: "Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." (see sourced section above for a more extensive quotation of this passage from a letter to André Morellet), written in 1779.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin

I looked and found this.

BeFranklin
12-30-2007, 05:36 AM
The Way to see by Faith, is to shut the Eye of Reason.

This didn't sound like Franklin,
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin says its half a quote, but still seems out of context.
--

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

* Similar quote is actually from Rita Mae Brown in the 1980s.
* Also misattributed to Albert Einstein.
* The earliest reference to this exact quote in Google News Archive is to Rep. Dick Zimmer of New Jersey in 1993 with reference to the US space station. [1]
* This quote was referenced by Bill Clinton in the 1992 Presidential Debate as coming from "the author" of a book given to him by his wife, Hillary. [2]

BeFranklin
12-30-2007, 05:44 AM
I have been working today to try and verify a quote.

Benjamin Franklin is quoted as once saying "The US Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself."

I am beginning to think this might not actually be a real Franklin quote. I have checked over 20 reference quotation books and none list this as an actual quote from Franklin's writings. I also checked a variety of online collections of Franklin writings and can not find this quote using keyword searches.

http://www.worldhistoryblog.com/2006_09_24_archive.html

aspiringconstitutionalist
12-30-2007, 06:05 AM
BeFranklin's just a load of Ben Franklin wisdom. How ironic. :D

Menthol Patch
12-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Keep the quotes coming!

tsetsefly
12-30-2007, 08:53 AM
we already have the freealast2008.com money bomb...

adwads
12-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Keep the quotes coming!

the quotes are great...and the fact that RP introduced the Benjamin Franklin patriot act as opposed to the normal screwed up patriot act