PDA

View Full Version : Has Ron Paul or campaign ever used the phrase "terrorist nations" before this ad?

Liberty Star
12-30-2007, 12:51 AM
Ignoring this ad and the controversy for a second, has Ron Paul or any representative campaign official ever used the phrase 'terrorist nations' while articulating positions on any issue to this day?

If the answer is no, I can understand why some supporters would feel let down.

Joe3113
12-30-2007, 12:55 AM
Not that i've seen. This thing is sort of out of left field. For that reason i'm assuming its a clever tactic to get take some votes away from the pro-war mob

FreedomLover
12-30-2007, 12:57 AM
Not that i've seen. This thing is sort of out of left field. For that reason i'm assuming its a clever tactic to get take some votes away from the pro-war mob

Could be. Or maybe it was shorthand for "nations that have harbored terrorists in the past"

Some of you guys have gone completely berserk over a matter of diction. :eek:

NeoconPaulsupporter
12-30-2007, 12:57 AM
Not sure if he's ever used the exact phrase, but he's damn sure said essentially the same thing about Saudia Arabia.

coboman
12-30-2007, 12:58 AM
Not to my knowledge. He seemed to be the only candidate defending the fact that terrorism is a tactic.
Therefore "you cannot wage a war against a tactic"(his words). By extension you cannot have a whole nation defined by a tactic.

This expression is appalling. It goes against the very root of my support for Ron Paul.

Paulbot_9876
12-30-2007, 01:00 AM
we know the dr has a excellent reply for this if asked.....when he is asked......

LibertyEagle
12-30-2007, 01:00 AM
http://www.house.gov/paul/press/press2002/pr070202.htm

PAUL URGES RESTRICTIONS ON STUDENT VISAS
IN HOMELAND DEFENSE BILL

Washington, DC- Congressman Ron Paul wants Congress to deny student visas to individuals from countries that sponsor terrorism, and he favors similar restrictions on diversity visa programs for the same countries. The current list of terror-sponsoring states includes Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria. Paul will work to incorporate these needed changes in our visa rules when Congress considers a homeland security bill this summer.

"Common sense dictates that we should not be handing out new visas to residents of countries that don’t cooperate with our State department in fighting terrorism," Paul stated. "Most of the criminals who carried out the September 11 attacks entered the country using student visas, so we hardly should continue to open our doors to students from places like Iraq. If we are serious about conducting a war on terrorism, we cannot simultaneously give aid and comfort to our enemies, including the aid and comfort of living in the United States."

Paul sits on the House International Relations committee, which has jurisdiction over new visa rules in the Homeland Security Act. Paul want to ensure that any homeland security legislation focuses on terrorists and possible terrorists themselves, rather than innocent American citizens.

"We need to draw a bright line between American citizens and noncitizen residents or visitors," Paul continued. "We don’t need to sacrifice civil liberties to strengthen our defenses against terrorism. First and foremost, we must take control of our borders and prevent potential terrorists from entering the country. We also must do a better job of keeping track of those individuals we do allow to enter. Visas should not serve as a revolving door that allows our worst enemies to live among us."

michaelwise
12-30-2007, 01:01 AM
How about, "Neophyte Nations"?

Real_CaGeD
12-30-2007, 01:01 AM
How many threads you going to start about student Visas while we are trying to save our country, and keep the people of other countries from being invaded and bombed to death?

constitutional
12-30-2007, 01:03 AM
Ignoring this ad and the controversy for a second, has Ron Paul or any representative campaign official ever used the phrase 'terrorist nations' while articulating positions on any issue to this day?

If the answer is no, I can understand why some supporters would feel let down.

WHY DON'T WE STOP REPLYING AND CREATING NEW THREADS ON THIS ONE SINGLE G-DAMN ISSUE!

Sorry for the caps.

Liberty Star
12-30-2007, 01:05 AM

As a pragmatic tactic , ad with such wording could have been then employed in select markets without broadcasting this seemingly new and improved stance on the web site. It contradicts what has been philosophy of RP campaign so far. This view and phrase could have been mentioned before the tea party as good advertisement of beliefs and views.

Could be. Or maybe it was shorthand for "nations that have harbored terrorists in the past"

Some of you guys have gone completely berserk over a matter of diction. :eek:

I'm usually myself defending campaign when someone whines about this or that nuance. But considering what Ron Paul has been saying with a mega phone on national stage and in the debates, this is equivalent of saying that we should not give student visas to any countries where we have military presence. Right?

Real_CaGeD
12-30-2007, 01:07 AM
Hey, this grain of rice has a brown edge, Im gonna burn the whole field.

FreedomLover
12-30-2007, 01:08 AM
Not to my knowledge. He seemed to be the only candidate defending the fact that terrorism is a tactic.
Therefore "you cannot wage a war against a tactic"(his words)

Ron Paul is not advocating waging war against a tactic. He's advocating common sense national defense that doesn't require the invasion of nations, just the denial of certain countries that do harbor and promote terrorists from having the privilege of giving it's citizens student visas to come here (until they shape up their act).

It's called tough diplomacy. Diplomacy designed to get a nation back on track and towards a policy of freedom. Diplomacy designed to protect us from another 9/11. And it's something that James1844 didn't understand.

FreedomLover
12-30-2007, 01:11 AM
I'm usually myself defending campaign when someone whines about this or that nuance. But considering what Ron Paul has been saying with a mega phone on national stage and in the debates, this is equivalent of saying that we should not give student visas to any countries where we have military presence. Right?

This is a nuance, because it's specifically targeted towards terror-harboring nations that do have a track record, not just willy nilly.

Ron Paul wants a strong national defense, a national defense that comprises of common sense policies, such as this one.

literatim
12-30-2007, 01:12 AM
Hey, this grain of rice has a brown edge, Im gonna burn the whole field.

That almost made me spit out the water I was drinking. :D

idiom
12-30-2007, 01:14 AM
Ron Paul is the only one who is going to pick a fight with Saudi Arabia.

No more Saudis studying here, how is this not a good thing?

A lot hangs on who is defining 'terrorist nations' and why.

FreedomLover
12-30-2007, 01:16 AM

Well, atleast he's the only one calling them on their bullshit, which is exactly what should have been done post 9/11.

Duckman
12-30-2007, 01:16 AM

Do you believe all Saudis are terrorists, or do you just hate Saudis?

devil21
12-30-2007, 01:18 AM
I seem to remember him using the term "terrorist nations" during a debate. Don't ask me which debate or what context but it does sound familiar.

idiom
12-30-2007, 01:19 AM
I think Pakistan and Saudi Arabia come under the banner of harbouring anti-american elements. However they have been hypocritically overlooked while America invades countries like Iraq that apparently were not harbouring such elements.

Restrictions on Visa grants is a lot less intrusive than 'regime change'.

They can still study in Britian. It is an affront to Saudi pride only. A student visa is not some sort of right but an endorsement of their government in the form of a government-government agreement.

Currently the second most effective terror attack againt the U.S. was carried out by a native citizen who was annoyed the over-reach of the federal government. Maybe Student Visas should be denied to Ron Paul supporters too. I don't have all the answers :)

d991
12-30-2007, 01:20 AM

Saudi Arabia produces a huge number of terrorists due to the very radical wahabi form of Islam taught there. Not all Saudis are terrorists, but I think the U.S. should be a lot more careful about people coming from Saudi Arabia than they are from someone coming from, say, Iran.

Duckman
12-30-2007, 01:22 AM
Saudi Arabia produces a huge number of terrorists due to the very radical wahabi form of Islam taught there. Not all Saudis are terrorists, but I think the U.S. should be a lot more careful about people coming from Saudi Arabia than they are from someone coming from, say, Iran.

Careful, definitely. More careful than currently, yes. Automatic denial, no.

Liberty Star
12-30-2007, 01:28 AM
we know the dr has a excellent reply for this if asked.....when he is asked......

Even though the ad ends with usual RP audio of approval, I'll be surprised if it was his phrase or has really considered the implications of such tone.

How about, "Neophyte Nations"?

Or how about "no visas to students from countries where we have military presence or bases" since that is what spurs terror threat according to Ron Paul's well advertised philosophy?

This is a nuance, because it's specifically targeted towards terror-harboring nations that do have a track record, not just willy nilly.

Ron Paul wants a strong national defense, a national defense that comprises of common sense policies, such as this one.

This is not very different nuance than 'axis of evil' then suggesting there is something inherently wrong with some nations or people. That will be serious shift in RP policy views then. Whats wrong with Bush/Cheney labeling of Iraq/Iran/NKore as evil then.

A lot hangs on who is defining 'terrorist nations' and why.

I don't think we have military bases in SA anymore.
Since we have more military presence in Iraq/Afghanistan now, I think Ron Paul policy would restrict visas for students from there more than any other places considering causes of terrorism.

idiom
12-30-2007, 01:31 AM
At the same time I imagine Cuba will be removed from that list.

The might be a rouge nation (they fail to salute our flag) but not a terrorist one.

Paulbot_9876
12-30-2007, 01:33 AM
i rather have their freedoms taken away than ours.....we forgot that this is our country..... and it's time we remind every nation it is ours.....we are not part of the nwo........we have our own laws we go by..... not theirs,ours........ freedom can be scary...... but we must stand by it if we want to remain a souverenity country......our rules our laws..........

FreedomLover
12-30-2007, 01:37 AM
Even though the ad ends with usual RP audio of approval, I'll be surprised if it was his phrase or has really considered the implications of such tone.

I don't think he considered the implications of some people reading into such an arbitrary line of text on an ad targeted at Iowa republicans. Lol.

Or how about "no visas to students from countries where we have military presence or bases" since that is what spurs terror threat according to Ron Paul's well advertised philosophy?

Takes too long to read.

This is not very different nuance than 'axis of evil' then suggesting there is something inherently wrong with some nations or people.

"Nations" as in governments - yes, of course. "People" as in ethnic groups - No.

That will be serious shift in RP policy views then.

Not at all, just read some of his bills and realize that we can still have common sense national defense while avoiding military conflict.

Whats wrong with Bush/Cheney labeling of Iraq/Iran/NKore as evil then.

I don't know. I guess it sounds zippier than "Axis of countries with corrupt dictators that we don't like"