PDA

View Full Version : $23 Million Idea - Thoughts?

T206
12-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Im not sure that any one effort can get the additional $23M, but I do think this concept could turn out a pretty good chunk of change, close to or more than the money bombs.

Im still working through the idea in my head, so please try and work with me as I "think out loud" here...

Similar to when someone does a cancer walk, or runs in a marathon for whatever charity, we need a way for Ron Paul supporters to show they are serious about their candidate and to communicate it to friends, family and co-workers.

I envision one main website, lets say for arguements sake, www.ronpauliscool.com

I decide that I want to set a personal goal of getting x# of people (friends, co-workers, family, whoever else) to donate a total of $x,xxx.xx. So I sign up at www.ronpauliscool.com for my own micro-donation site and get assigned www.ronpauliscool.com/t206, where I plug in my goal of how many people Id like to get to donate and/or how much Id like to get them to raise, and it creates a mini thermomoter to track my goal on this micro-site. I should also have the option to customize some short message and plug in a few youtube videos that I think would be good for the people I've sent the email to.

From this site Id be able to plug in email addresses and send some sort of message to who I determine that explains why I support Ron Paul, and why I am reaching out for either a matching donation or just any donation at all. The email contains a link back to www.ronpauliscool.com/t206 where they can donate using the donation widget that goes to the official campaign.

As people donate the progress is tracked on the www.ronpauliscool.com/t206 microsite, which also rolls up to a larger thermomoter on the main www.ronpauliscool.com site.

The two things that got me thinking that this would be a good idea are as follows:

1. We know that on this site alone there are over 10k supporters, and just getting a bunch of people from here to reach out to 10-20 people would be very effective, not to mention if we could get a chunk of the 50k+ people who donated for the last money bomb to sign up too.

2. We need something different, but that still allows us to track against a specific goal and doesnt rely on it all happening on one day.

There may be a ton of reasons why this will/wont work, so Id like to hear constructive thoughts on if this is a doable idea.

T206
12-30-2007, 12:03 AM
Nothing, huh? I guess I should have started the thread with *I hate the new ad and the campaign people suck* :)

Oliver
12-30-2007, 12:05 AM
+1 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=748948#post748948)

ronpaulyourmom
12-30-2007, 12:05 AM
Mike Huckabee has implemented a system similar to this, and I think the effect is positive. My main issue with this is time. We need to start raising money before NH votes imo.

gpickett00
12-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Yeah, if you don't rip on foxnews or wolf blitzer you dont get commented on sorry. Try again. Good idea though, lets get it going man

EvilEngineer
12-30-2007, 12:08 AM
Well, to put the 23 mil into perspective, we didn't think we could raise the 12 million set forth right after the end of the 3rd quarter. We were amazed with 5 million, and thought the reasonable goal would be 10 million. As it turns out we smashed the 12 million goal, who would have thought? I have no doubt that we will continue to grow, especially after the first few primaries and we gain serious momentum with a few high placing / wins in the primary states.

T206
12-30-2007, 12:09 AM
Mike Huckabee has implemented a system similar to this, and I think the effect is positive. My main issue with this is time. We need to start raising money before NH votes imo.

Yeah, I agree, timing might be an issue, I was hoping that someone with some HTML/development experience might be able to chime in.

The one thing Id say to counter the time issue though is that this shouldnt be the main way to get to the $23M, so if its part of another effort that starts earlier it should still raise a decent chunk of money.

T206
12-30-2007, 12:10 AM
Mike Huckabee has implemented a system

Now I just feel dirty about the whole idea then. :)

The Only Woj
12-30-2007, 12:20 AM
how about a little more letter writing, a little more door-to-door, etc etc etc

we need to be like bees going from flower to flower spreading pollen. but for us we're doing person-to-person spreading freedom and liberty through making people aware about Ron Paul and why he is what we need in a President. we need to paulinate.

skeryl
12-30-2007, 12:27 AM
Bbq?

JohnnyWrath
12-30-2007, 12:28 AM
If Iowa goes well, it will fuel donations.

JT1
12-30-2007, 12:31 AM
$23,000,000 is a large goal but with determination and fresh ideas can be reached.

Break it down...

5,000 X $4600 (The max a couple can donate for the primaries)
10,000 X $2300 (The max a person can donate for the primaries)
23,000 X $1000
46,000 X $500
230,000 X $100

Your idea could work with the right motivation.

Or finding 23,000 Ron Paul supporters willing to take a $1000 hit on their credit cards...I know some did that (and more) on the 16th.

Is it against FEC rules to offer people incentives like free advertising if they donate to Ron Paul? I think it is but I thought I'd ask if someone knows for sure.

CJLauderdale4
12-30-2007, 12:31 AM
I've asked the campaign several times to implement a recurring donation function on their donation page, so that those of us who can give monthly, weekly, daily, could be billed accordingly rather than having to manually do it, or wait for Money Bombs.

This would bring an instant influx of recurring income the campaign could count on each day, week, month, and then they could let us know what the remainder is.

The remainder could then be bombed, or raised through other ideas mentioned on this thread.

T206
12-30-2007, 05:27 PM
I posted this yesterday during a very busy time, and it fell off pretty quickly. Thought Id give it one more try to see if people think it is a viable idea to try and drive donations.

Thanks for reading, look forward to any feedback.