PDA

View Full Version : Official Report from Blimp RE: Football Games

Blimp Media Coordinator
12-29-2007, 11:29 PM
I have spoke to both ABC/ESPN and Fox Sports in regards to having the blimp provide official aerial coverage for their NFL/BCS games as this would obviously be great publicity. This gets you over the crowd during the game and a mention during the broadcast.

ABC/ESPN responded that they already had exclusive deals with Outback, Goodyear and Direct TV.

A Sr. Producer with Fox Sports responded that they would not consider "giving any political candidate a blimp." His suggestion was that we could buy advertising time during the game.

That being said we can still gain access to these crowds as the FAA permits fly-overs up to one hour prior to the game and one hour after. Because these are significant games people will be showing up early to tailgate so most of them will be able to see the blimp before the game.

We are looking into horse and dog racks as these same FAA restrictions may not apply.

We are doing the best we can do get as much visability as possible.

RCA
12-29-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks and keep up the great work!

Think12345
12-29-2007, 11:31 PM
Blimp :)

Chester Copperpot
12-29-2007, 11:34 PM
I have spoke to both ABC/ESPN and Fox Sports in regards to having the blimp provide official aerial coverage for their NFL/BCS games as this would obviously be great publicity. This gets you over the crowd during the game and a mention during the broadcast.

ABC/ESPN responded that they already had exclusive deals with Outback, Goodyear and Direct TV.

A Sr. Producer with Fox Sports responded that they would not consider "giving any political candidate a blimp." His suggestion was that we could buy advertising time during the game.

That being said we can still gain access to these crowds as the FAA permits fly-overs up to one hour prior to the game and one hour after. Because these are significant games people will be showing up early to tailgate so most of them will be able to see the blimp before the game.

We are looking into horse and dog racks as these same FAA restrictions may not apply.

Double check the law on that.. Many laws only restrict you if you are proving a product or service.. this is specifically done to exempt all political advertising from ANY sort of regulation.. You might totally be allowed to fly over and there could be nothing they can do.. check out the law.

We might have to make that ron paul blimp into a pirate ship.. that would be cool...

Wolfgang Bohringer
12-29-2007, 11:47 PM
How far away from the stadium must the blimp stay during the game?

kutibah
12-30-2007, 12:54 AM
Looks lik e ANOTHER thing you should have checked BEFORE asking for pledges.

sigh...some people expect a blimp to be in the air in a week and yet expect the world to be checked first from a small team...

McDermit
12-30-2007, 12:57 AM
this is kinda common sense... Not sure why anyone expected otherwise.

Blimp Media Coordinator
12-30-2007, 01:51 AM
Originally Airship Management thought we'd be able to get over games as they have done that with their previous clients.

Wolfgang Bohringer
12-30-2007, 02:04 AM
BMC, What about my question?

bucfish
12-30-2007, 02:10 AM
Keep working on Alumni's for the Uni's involved in the game. With their pressure on the University they could get us a waiver. Do not give up!!!

JAHOGS
12-30-2007, 02:49 AM
Just a little insight from the Orlando Stadium (Capitol One Bowl). I was there last year and sat in the upper level. The Goodyear blimp flew over before the game and then it headed off towards the South. I could see the blimp for a long way leaving the stadium.

My question would be how far away do you have to stay from the stadium. If it is not to far you guys could just do a big circle around the stadium and the majority of the people will see the blimp if it isn't a far distance. Just an idea and you never know the crew might find it interesting to talk about it.

bucfish
12-30-2007, 02:54 AM
I do not know the answer to that but I do know the Blimp will be a presence in that area on that DAY. Remember All those 65k+ people have to get to and from the game!!!

Man from La Mancha
12-30-2007, 04:38 AM
Looks lik e ANOTHER thing you should have checked BEFORE asking for pledges.
One dumb troll have done nothing but complain about this, instead of just ignoring you have to post, what happened some one took your marbles away as kid an you have try to be a downer to other people. Unlike some low IQ level I understood the parameters of weather and possibilities when I have given over $100 to this endeavor. I have a dream that this can work and is but you are so stuck in negative destructive thinking you can't get your head out of your ***. . Whats your problem?

Benjamin Franklin
He that blows the coals in quarrels that he has nothing to do with, has no right to complain if the sparks fly in his face.

He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else.
Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin Franklin
If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write something worth reading or do things worth the writing.

Benjamin Franklin
Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment

Benjamin Franklin
Search others for their virtues, thyself for thy vices.

european
12-30-2007, 07:35 AM
Originally Airship Management thought we'd be able to get over games as they have done that with their previous clients.
great :D hopes it works out this time aswell, if not, then the quote below might come in handy:

Just a little insight from the Orlando Stadium (Capitol One Bowl). I was there last year and sat in the upper level. The Goodyear blimp flew over before the game and then it headed off towards the South. I could see the blimp for a long way leaving the stadium.

My question would be how far away do you have to stay from the stadium. If it is not to far you guys could just do a big circle around the stadium and the majority of the people will see the blimp if it isn't a far distance. Just an idea and you never know the crew might find it interesting to talk about it.
:D

liberty_rp08
12-30-2007, 05:21 PM
***The New York Giants/Tampa Bay Buccaneers NFC wild card playoff game to be played at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa IS SCHEDULED FOR SUNDAY, JANUARY 6TH AT 1 PM ON FOX.***

liberty_rp08
12-30-2007, 06:22 PM
blimp

gecko42
12-30-2007, 06:22 PM
One dumb troll have done nothing but complain about this, instead of just ignoring you have to post, what happened some one took your marbles away as kid an you have try to be a downer to other people. Unlike some low IQ level I understood the parameters of weather and possibilities when I have given over $100 to this endeavor. I have a dream that this can work and is but you are so stuck in negative destructive thinking you can't get your head out of your ***. . Whats your problem?

Benjamin Franklin
He that blows the coals in quarrels that he has nothing to do with, has no right to complain if the sparks fly in his face.

Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin Franklin
If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write something worth reading or do things worth the writing.

Benjamin Franklin
Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment

Benjamin Franklin

+10

noztnac
12-30-2007, 06:26 PM

They don't own the sky.

noztnac
12-30-2007, 06:29 PM
They don't own the sky! We need to fly the blimp directly over the game. What can they do to stop us? They have no business whatsoever restricting our first amendment rights.

Blimp Media Coordinator
12-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Sorry for the delay Wolfgang and others. To answer your question, you have to be 3 miles away once you are 1 hour prior to game time. You can read about every type of restriction at: http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/notams.html Here is the language for stadiums. If someone knows of events that are going on in Florida in the next 7 days that do not fit this criteria please let us know.

"SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, COMMENCING ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME OF THE EVENT UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF THE EVENT, ALL AIRCRAFT AND PARACHUTE OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED AT AND BELOW 3,000 FEET AGL WITHIN A THREE NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS OF ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE IN WHICH A MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL, OR MAJOR MOTOR SPEEDWAY EVENT IS OCCURING."

bbachtung
12-30-2007, 09:04 PM
What altitude does the blimp generally operate at?

pinnacle1263
12-30-2007, 09:05 PM
You should redirect the blimp to Arizona! The Barrett Jackson Car auction has probably a couple hundred thousand attendees over a week...and the phoenix open is about a mile from where the car auction is held....and they have like 1 million attendees over the week....my numbers are probably off...but you probably get my point.

Since Arizona is too far away...and the blimp is not coming to Arizona....try:
outdoor swap meets, large publicly attended auto auctions, art festivals or craft shows, maybe some 5K, 10K races or marathon....outdoor concerts....etc etc.

mkrfctr
12-30-2007, 09:08 PM
is the blimp not still legible/visible above 3000 feet AGL, or is there a different restriction for that as well?

mkrfctr
12-30-2007, 09:09 PM
I'll assume you're unaware pinnacle, but the blimp travels at 30MPH, is not able to be disassembled and reassembled, and is limited in the number of hours it is able to fly per month. Hence any long distance travel will not be undertaken. Also SC and FL are important primary states, thus the blimp will stay in those areas.

FreeTraveler
12-30-2007, 09:23 PM
Since I learned to use the IGNORE function, my blood pressure has dropped 20 points... just sayin'. :rolleyes:

P.S. I have no idea what you were responding to. Priceless ;)

Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin Franklin

noztnac
12-30-2007, 09:27 PM
Sorry for the delay Wolfgang and others. To answer your question, you have to be 3 miles away once you are 1 hour prior to game time. You can read about every type of restriction at: http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/notams.html Here is the language for stadiums. If someone knows of events that are going on in Florida in the next 7 days that do not fit this criteria please let us know.

"SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, COMMENCING ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME OF THE EVENT UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF THE EVENT, ALL AIRCRAFT AND PARACHUTE OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED AT AND BELOW 3,000 FEET AGL WITHIN A THREE NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS OF ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE IN WHICH A MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL, OR MAJOR MOTOR SPEEDWAY EVENT IS OCCURING."

I've been at many football games where planes have flown overhead, where blimps have been present, and where people have parachuted onto the field.
It may be that you have to get permission but all of these things can get done. And I knew that when I donated to the blimp fund and fully expected that the blimp would hover over games during the games. Do what you have to do to have that blimp directly over the game throughout the game.

Blimp Media Coordinator
12-31-2007, 01:41 AM
Blimp usually flies between 1-2K feet high. I don't know if it can fly at 3K and if it would be visible...something to look into.

kutibah
12-31-2007, 12:41 PM
Blimp usually flies between 1-2K feet high. I don't know if it can fly at 3K and if it would be visible...something to look into.

Actually, it flew at 600-900 feet last time it was in the air over the I-95 :)

OferNave
12-31-2007, 04:45 PM
They don't own the sky.

They can't take the sky from us? :)