PDA

View Full Version : Testers needed for National HQ mobilization

a2planet2
12-29-2007, 09:44 PM
I work for the national office and we're getting ready to unveil a nationwide volunteer system whereby volunteers will become "precinct captains" in charge of getting out the vote in their precinct.

It's almost ready, but the data has lots of weird intricacies from one state to the next, plus every web browser has various issues...

Anyway, long story short, I'm looking for some beta testers so we can get this up and running as soon as possible. Only 100 people can join so I'm not overwhelmed with emails, but please, if you're interested, it's at:

http://voters.ronpaul2008.com

We're hoping to have the thing live by New Year's, so please only join if you're ready to spend at least an hour test-driving this thin and providing thoughtful feedback.

a2planet2
12-29-2007, 09:54 PM
bump

a2planet2
12-29-2007, 10:00 PM
OK, last bump...

mosquitobite
12-29-2007, 10:01 PM
I work for the national office and we're getting ready to unveil a nationwide volunteer system whereby volunteers will become "precinct captains" in charge of getting out the vote in their precinct.

It's almost ready, but the data has lots of weird intricacies from one state to the next, plus every web browser has various issues...

Anyway, long story short, I'm looking for some beta testers so we can get this up and running as soon as possible. Only 100 people can join so I'm not overwhelmed with emails, but please, if you're interested, it's at:

We're hoping to have the thing live by New Year's, so please only join if you're ready to spend at least an hour test-driving this thin and providing thoughtful feedback.

Bump and if we test would we actually be signing up to volunteer for the position or just testing for you?

a2planet2
12-29-2007, 10:02 PM
After the beta testing is done I'm probably going to clear out the records... from my own alpha testing, I generated a lot of BS data and accounts just to see what did and didn't work... once the thing goes live it'll be left alone, but I don't want beta data kept

Nefertiti
12-29-2007, 10:02 PM
I can test it but I will be out of the country on election day so I can't take on responsibilty of being a precinct captain.

a2planet2
12-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah the "I pledge to do such-and-such" is just what's going to be on site once it is live... for now it's just there for testing purposes. I'll probably change the subdomain once it goes live too. grassrootshq.ronpaul2008.com or something.

berkeleybound
12-29-2007, 10:03 PM
After the beta testing is done I'm probably going to clear out the records... from my own alpha testing, I generated a lot of BS data and accounts just to see what did and didn't work... once the thing goes live it'll be left alone, but I don't want beta data kept

Ok, cool. I was just about to ask that.

mosquitobite
12-29-2007, 10:04 PM
one more question, it's after 11pm here and I have church in the morning ;)

If I volunteer to test for you can I do it in the morning or tomorrow afternoon?

I'm ready for bed tonight, unfortunately, but I'd love to help!

Sey.Naci
12-29-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm a Canadian Ron Paul supporter, who has Safari and Firefox on a Mac (OS X). If you're unable to find anyone else to beta-test those browsers on OS X and could use my help testing the site, I'd be happy to oblige. (I understand if you can't use my help.)

tsetsefly
12-29-2007, 10:14 PM
bump

a2planet2
12-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Update: fixed bug with precinct map preview so that it displays the precinct currently selected, not the one previously selected or an error message if there was no previously selected precinct

a2planet2
12-29-2007, 10:17 PM
one more question, it's after 11pm here and I have church in the morning ;)

If I volunteer to test for you can I do it in the morning or tomorrow afternoon?

I'm ready for bed tonight, unfortunately, but I'd love to help!

Well, you can, though I suspect I can get 100 people to start testing and providing feedback tonight which would be better. Once I get an idea of the server load of 100 people and how many emails I'll be going through, I can up the limit to 1000

jdmetz
12-29-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm signing up, but only for testing purposes - I use Konqueror on Linux for my internet browsing.

a2planet2
12-29-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm a Canadian Ron Paul supporter, who has Safari and Firefox on a Mac (OS X). If you're unable to find anyone else to beta-test those browsers on OS X and could use my help testing the site, I'd be happy to oblige. (I understand if you can't use my help.)

I can use your help, in fact I'm especially interested in feedback from Mac users since I've ONLY tested it on Windows browsers. I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine election law prohibiting a Canadian from providing comments!

Just so long as it is clear that this is not any sort of official (read: billable) service to the campaign. This is just me reaching out to random people to give me feedback.

Scott Wilson
12-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Need a clearer key for the microdata.

Looking at my street and I see $$ for someone who apparently donated but I notice that my address is not listed nor my wifes name (under whose name we donated).

Is this incomplete data?

The form is working great on Firefox so far.

Nefertiti
12-29-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm a bit burned out, as I had already been doing bug testing for a project I am working on half the day. I forgot the password I created and it didn't send me the recovery email. However, in the process of being forgetful I did find a couple bugs. I can't go any further without the password but hopefully the 4-5 reports I sent you are helpful. I need to sleep now. Good night and good luck!

nateerb
12-29-2007, 10:30 PM
All features so far working! Agree, more clarity on microdata is needed and put a link to get back to Grassroots Central when in the update list.

I think I speak for everyone: we are glad to be seeing something like this!

a2planet2
12-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Need a clearer key for the microdata.

Looking at my street and I see $$ for someone who apparently donated but I notice that my address is not listed nor my wifes name (under whose name we donated).

Is this incomplete data?

The form is working great on Firefox so far.

The $$ are not for Ron Paul donors; the data comes from the RNC, much of it from a year ago. I'm working on porting all of the campaign's info into this system (plus all the inbound data from updates etc) but that's an additional project... right now the main thing is getting this thing to work so that Joe Supporter from an area without an active campaign can get up and running without anyone else's help. I'll be adding features for county/state/national coordinators soon.

sirachman
12-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Need easier to understand key for what all the colums mean etc. other than that i see a few mispellings. When you click "view a map of my precinct" it says: You will be taken to the map in 5 seconds. (or just click here). It not be spot-on, but should be very close

Scott Wilson
12-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks.

Just figured that out when reading the the instructions above the street pdf the script created.

No bugs so far.

tsetsefly
12-29-2007, 10:45 PM
I can use your help, in fact I'm especially interested in feedback from Mac users since I've ONLY tested it on Windows browsers. I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine election law prohibiting a Canadian from providing comments!

Just so long as it is clear that this is not any sort of official (read: billable) service to the campaign. This is just me reaching out to random people to give me feedback.

i wouldnt do it, especially after it was publicly stated here... you never know with the maze of FEC regulations... i just wouldnt even take the chance...

a2planet2
12-29-2007, 10:47 PM
Need easier to understand key for what all the colums mean etc. other than that i see a few mispellings. When you click "view a map of my precinct" it says: You will be taken to the map in 5 seconds. (or just click here). It not be spot-on, but should be very close

fixed that one, where else?

Ethek
12-29-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm in. I hope there is some kind of get out the vote follow up to verify 'volunteers' are on board.

a2planet2
12-29-2007, 10:49 PM
i wouldnt do it, especially after it was publicly stated here... you never know with the maze of FEC regulations... i just wouldnt even take the chance...

You're probably right, although again, I can't imagine...

a2planet2
12-29-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm in. I hope there is some kind of get out the vote follow up to verify 'volunteers' are on board.

The way I see it, if every real volunteer picks a precinct, fake volunteers signing up for precincts can only become an issue once there are no unassigned precincts left in any given real volunteer's area... and at that point, real volunteers will be signing up for precincts that are already assigned. So by then, the non-volunteer will be no harm since there will be a real volunteer in that precinct.

But yes, we will add features for reporting enemies that fill out bunk information... the user feedback is all kept in separate tables from the original data, so if there's a bad user, it'll be trivial to wipe off the damage done.

Believe me, the thought has been on my mind throughout the design process.

Sey.Naci
12-29-2007, 10:53 PM

Just so long as it is clear that this is not any sort of official (read: billable) service to the campaign. This is just me reaching out to random people to give me feedback.OK, please PM me with a viable address to use for testing purposes. Port Angeles would be nice. It's just south of me; I live near Victoria BC. :)

Of course, the sign-up form won't accept a Canadian address.

Elwar
12-29-2007, 10:57 PM
I keep trying to get my password to work. I tried the initial password and then had it sent to my e-mail and that doesn't work either.

I love this site. It's exactly what I had been trying to get to work with my site but I didn't have time to promote it to the point of usefulness.

If you'd like any help I'd be glad to lend a hand.

a2planet2
12-29-2007, 11:06 PM
I keep trying to get my password to work. I tried the initial password and then had it sent to my e-mail and that doesn't work either.

I love this site. It's exactly what I had been trying to get to work with my site but I didn't have time to promote it to the point of usefulness.

If you'd like any help I'd be glad to lend a hand.

Check your email in a little bit in case it's slow to send. Making sure that the email system works 100% of the time is a major priority and I do need to know when emails don't get out. That you had the password but it didn't work is another issue... maybe make sure you signed up with your correct email address by attempting to sign up again? (it'll reject signups for email addr's that are already in use)

iratus
12-29-2007, 11:12 PM
Windows XP - Firefox 2.0.0.11

Observations:

- PDF walking list does not list party affiliation for KY and TN (update page does)
- typos
- inability to register as a precinct captain for more than one precinct
- "view map of precinct" is confusing. It would be better if the precinct area was enclosed in polylines if possible. Its impossible to tell the boundaries.

a2planet2
12-29-2007, 11:18 PM
Windows XP - Firefox 2.0.0.11

Observations:

- PDF walking list does not list party affiliation for KY and TN (update page does)

Thank you, will try to fix right away

- typos

Please use bug submission form to report these

- inability to register as a precinct captain for more than one precinct Various reasons why we're not doing this yet (long explanation for another time)

- "view map of precinct" is confusing. It would be better if the precinct area was enclosed in polylines if possible. Its impossible to tell the boundaries. Probably not possible; would take lots of cumbersome queries and server-side processing, plus too much bad data in the voter file would mess things up. Even just using the lat/lon ranges, some precincts claim to be under a foot and over 10 miles wide....

iratus
12-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Also noticed the update page does not allow updating the party affiliation. Looks like this data is somewhat dated from cursory tests. Three names I looked up have switched parties since whenever this data was collected. Shouldn't we update this, too, for the general election?

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-29-2007, 11:28 PM
my address didn't come up to auto assign my precinct... and there's 30 precincts in my town. I don't want to go through all of them to find which is nearest to me. I live in a big town.

davidhperry
12-29-2007, 11:33 PM
No bugs so far on Mac OS 10.5 with Safari. Just an FYI - I think Safari will render the same on Windows as it will on a Mac.

This system is phenomenal - when do you expect it to be live?

davidhperry
12-29-2007, 11:36 PM
my address didn't come up to auto assign my precinct... and there's 30 precincts in my town. I don't want to go through all of them to find which is nearest to me. I live in a big town.

That's the only issue that I've encountered as well. It looks like you're expecting that though.

Chomsky
12-29-2007, 11:40 PM
All the talk of turning internet popularity into votes will be answered if this project fulfills its potential. I'm so happy that HQ has decided to get this thing up and running. I'm guessing that something like this would be unprecedented, at least on the web with open access to the grassroots.
Amazing...amazing.:D

nateerb
12-29-2007, 11:46 PM
OK, please PM me with a viable address to use for testing purposes. Port Angeles would be nice. It's just south of me; I live near Victoria BC. :)

Of course, the sign-up form won't accept a Canadian address.

Don't have a Port Angeles (wikipedia it everyone for a learnin' diversion) but PM'ed you one from Milwaukee.

iratus
12-29-2007, 11:50 PM
Whenever there is invalid information entered in the signup page and "I pledge" is clicked, an error pops up, then the entire page is refreshed and all of the form fields are cleared. So, one must fill out the entire form again just to fix one minor error.

Mark
12-29-2007, 11:56 PM
My precinct was correct - the address was wrong - close in area - but the wrong address - it was just changed recently

ckhagen
I'm on a Mac OSX 10.3.9, Firefox. Seems to be working fine. I'm signed up, watching the videos. Precinct number came up right.

If you happen to read this, is there some way you can PM me some contact info for anyone in charge of running these efforts? We're having some issues in our area with coordinators (I'm concerned) and I can't seem to get state HQ to return my calls. I just need some clarification on certain efforts.

Also, does anyone know how operating as a "precinct captain" for the campaign works if I'm already an elected precinct captain for the GOP? would this be a conflict of interest?

Gtex
Everything good for me there. Will be looking around more and spreading the word.

Mark
12-29-2007, 11:59 PM
Whenever there is invalid information entered in the signup page and "I pledge" is clicked, an error pops up, then the entire page is refreshed and all of the form fields are cleared. So, one must fill out the entire form again just to fix one minor error.
//

Mark
12-30-2007, 12:01 AM
//

free.alive
12-30-2007, 12:12 AM
Great! We're calling them "block captains" here in WA. It's big, it's really big!

TaxProtester
12-30-2007, 12:31 AM
I would be glad to test for you.

Paulbot_9876
12-30-2007, 12:47 AM

do i get a gun and badge?????

Trigonx
12-30-2007, 12:47 AM
bump.

nc4rp
12-30-2007, 12:56 AM
i was able to sign up and you found my correct precinct and the google map was in the right area, although the actual polling location was a random location in the precicnt instead of the church i vote at.

i got no email reply and my new password never came.

otherwise it looks great!

ive been searching relentlessly for a CURRENT MAP of my precicnct. its available for $3.00 at my county board of elections but i havnt gone there yet. I cant see how you could do every county, so Im thinking you need a COUNTY captain for this SOLE PURPOSE of getting a current map from teh board of elections. this is just a suggestion but they could send it to you and you load it.

that would bridge that little gap.

let me know what else i can do.

nc4rp
12-30-2007, 12:59 AM
it mighyt be easier also to have each precicnt captain send you their polling location, for example i can go here in my state http://www.sboe.state.nc.us/pollingplace/ and find an actual map - then have Precicnt captain send you that LINK? i dont know how many people yall have there working on it though. if you have enough people you might just want to take control and do that part

RobS
12-30-2007, 01:04 AM
everything fine so far, Ubuntu 7.10 running Firefox.

will I be able to keep my account and precinct once this goes live? I fully plan on actually being a precinct captain :)

ckhagen
12-30-2007, 01:07 AM
I believe most people can find their precinct number on their voter registration card.

TaxProtester
12-30-2007, 01:07 AM
Would it be unusual for the walk list to have duplicates? My name is listed on there 2 times. However, I did change my party affiliation a couple of weeks ago. Also, for one precinct in FL, I have only tested 1 so far, the pdf walk list has no party affiliations listed.

a2planet2
12-30-2007, 01:13 AM
it mighyt be easier also to have each precicnt captain send you their polling location, for example i can go here in my state http://www.sboe.state.nc.us/pollingplace/ and find an actual map - then have Precicnt captain send you that LINK? i dont know how many people yall have there working on it though. if you have enough people you might just want to take control and do that part
Problem is, every state and county does it differently, so there's no way to write a program that can automatically process all of that and it would take forever to figure out manually. I have the page generate a Google search for you, run your address on the RNC database, and let you see sample address in every precinct. That should make it pretty easy for people find their own precinct.

As for having precinct captains tell us their polling locations--what for? If they're precinct captains, they're the ones who will be at the polling place in their precinct on Election Day--what's important is that they know where it is, and that their precinct's voters know where it is.

a2planet2
12-30-2007, 01:17 AM
Would it be unusual for the walk list to have duplicates? My name is listed on there 2 times. However, I did change my party affiliation a couple of weeks ago. Also, for one precinct in FL, I have only tested 1 so far, the pdf walk list has no party affiliations listed.

I had Florida set wrong; thanks for catching that, I fixed it.

I'm not sure how common duplicates are... how many duplicate rows are there in your precinct?

ASayre
12-30-2007, 01:21 AM
Some notes/bugs sofar:

The login email is case sensitive. This makes asayre@abc.com different than ASayre@abc.com. The case should not matter.

When choosing precinct, when you click on the button to show a map, it clears out the password fields AND re-sets the dropdown for the precinct. Maybe have that drop-down default to the precinct that the program located?

In the precinct walk sheet...

If your state has partisan registration, there will be a column of letters, probably mostly "D"'s,
"R"'s, "U"'s or "I"'s, sometimes "O"'s and "N"'s are common too.
The letters mean: R for Republican, D for Democrat, U for Unaffiliated, I for Independent, O for
Other, N for None, T for Libertarian, G for Green, M for Reform, G for Green, X for US Taxpayers, F
for Right to Life, P for Peace and Freedom, W for Natural Law, S for Socialist, and E for American
Independence.
'G' for green is in there twice. (and on another note, I personally think 'L' is better for Libertarian).

Also, the party registration is NOT showing for me in the precinct walk list. It only shows for me when updating data. It would be nice if we could filter the walk sheet by party.

Sorting via the streets is a little bit weird, Things with a prefix, ie, N Something street, is sorted At the very end, even after Wesly St.

And, not a bug in the program, the voter lists are slightly outdated. Someone on my community who passed away last summer and isnt' on the local voter roles gotten from the county, and new registrations as well, aren't included.

I hope these bug reports help, this is an AWESOME tool.

Andre Sayre

ckhagen
12-30-2007, 01:21 AM
I had Florida set wrong; thanks for catching that, I fixed it.

I'm not sure how common duplicates are... how many duplicate rows are there in your precinct?

Oh good. I was wondering about the lack of party affiliation listings for FL too. Since party affiliation change deadline is Monday, I assume the ones listed anything but Rs would be a moot point.

I don't see many duplicates in my lists.

btw... the data tracking module is absolutely fantastic. It will definitely make this a LOT easier.

nc4rp
12-30-2007, 01:46 AM
i agree that princinct capt should know their voting place and that they can help others find it. point taken.

ok i got set up with wrong precinct from the original dropdown, and i cant see how to get back to change it to the corrcect precinct.

ASayre
12-30-2007, 01:52 AM
Some notes/bugs sofar:

The login email is case sensitive. This makes asayre@abc.com different than ASayre@abc.com. The case should not matter.

When choosing precinct, when you click on the button to show a map, it clears out the password fields AND re-sets the dropdown for the precinct. Maybe have that drop-down default to the precinct that the program located?

'G' for green is in there twice. (and on another note, I personally think 'L' is better for Libertarian).

Also, the party registration is NOT showing for me in the precinct walk list. It only shows for me when updating data. It would be nice if we could filter the walk sheet by party.

Sorting via the streets is a little bit weird, Things with a prefix, ie, N Something street, is sorted At the very end, even after Wesly St.

And, not a bug in the program, the voter lists are slightly outdated. Someone on my community who passed away last summer and isnt' on the local voter roles gotten from the county, and new registrations as well, aren't included.

Andre Sayre

Oh, and of course, the following data:

Santa Barbara - 0222232 - SANTA BARBARA 232 California. CA, has closed republican primaries. The switch deadline, with the forms in office by the 22nd.

Take a look at N Ontare Rd for a specific example of the sorting bug

TaxProtester
12-30-2007, 01:56 AM

I have only been able to find just that one it appears.

jblosser
12-30-2007, 02:04 AM
Holy cow. I guess we can stop our own efforts to create something like this locally. Do you need dev help? We have multiple people working on this, including one who has a working google map data mashup generator for precinct maps to voters.

Joe Knows
12-30-2007, 02:25 AM
As for having precinct captains tell us their polling locations--what for? If they're precinct captains, they're the ones who will be at the polling place in their precinct on Election Day--what's important is that they know where it is, and that their precinct's voters know where it is.

Adam.

You have hit a home run! In Florida we need to know just the Republicans after tomorrow. I don't think any party affiliations were used. Also what criteria was used for VIP or influence. I noticed several of my neighbors had the exclamation point, but I did not think they were a VIP. Also, I noticed the data base is not up to date. My daughter changed her voter registration to Tallahassee about a year ago and she is still listed as a registered voter here. I also noticed a few omissions. Anyway, I want to change my first statement. You have not hit a home run. You have hit a grand slam!

stewie3128
12-30-2007, 02:59 AM
This is going to be an amazing resource. Hope you have some serious security around these apps/scripts and your homegrown code to prevent our more tech-savvy competitors (e.g. Obama, not that they're in this sort of league) from copying it.

DSmith
12-30-2007, 03:01 AM
In oakland county we've been doing this on Access. This is incredible. Local groups are still needed for lit distribution and signs.

WOW... we're going to win.

cjhowe
12-30-2007, 03:03 AM
Holy cow. I guess we can stop our own efforts to create something like this locally. Do you need dev help? We have multiple people working on this, including one who has a working google map data mashup generator for precinct maps to voters.

@ A2Planet

Yeah, you guys win...but just by a hair. I can definitely offer some help on the maps mashup. I did a precinct polygon overlay with known supporters (supporters as pins, precinct as shaded region), it's rather simple if you have access to the shapefiles. I found them for TX, I'm not sure how easy they are to find for other locales. I also have data on how delegates are distributed. That probably gets pretty crazy handling it centrally.

Since every state has their own eccentricities, perhaps a way to decentralize some of the RP2008 collected data by some sort of consumable service. Except for the lat/lon and ways to split up/assign the precinct canvassing list, there's really not much else that I found could be done with the RNC style data outside of what is already on your site. But, being able to self organize certain data might be beneficial.

DSmith
12-30-2007, 03:03 AM
Should I roll my people over to this or wait?

Mark
12-30-2007, 03:28 AM
Should I roll my people over to this or wait?

It's still Beta, just be ready and don't duplicate the effort with you own.

You'll have the tool available when needed.

Peppy690
12-30-2007, 03:36 AM
this is awesome..makes me more motivated to go door to door, since i know if im approaching a repub or democrat so i don't waste my time

DSmith
12-30-2007, 03:56 AM
It's still Beta, just be ready and don't duplicate the effort with you own.

You'll have the tool available when needed.

We needed this 3 months ago. :) Our election is in 16 days, it's crunch time. I'm excited.

nc4rp
12-30-2007, 12:35 PM
hate to bug ya, but where it gave the option to choose precinct it had the wrong one selected and now my account only opens with the wrong precinct info, and i cant see how to change it to the correct precinct. im 'stuck' with teh wrong precicnt. there needs to be either a way to change it or a contact link to ask for it to be changed to the correct one. thanks

ccy
12-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Linux, Firefox

My main gripe is that the UI is somewhat obfuscated. The button "Report Feedback..." etc which gives a list with phone numbers needs a more descriptive label eg "View / Edit List of Voters in you Precinct".

cy

cjhowe
12-30-2007, 02:42 PM
notes are in a 1 to 1 relationship to the voter. allows overriding and malicious intent.

ccy
12-30-2007, 03:06 PM
On viewing precinct lists.

1) Need to pick some other sort criteria
2) Where is Primary voting history? Most important data there is.

cy

Mark
12-30-2007, 03:33 PM
hate to bug ya, but where it gave the option to choose precinct it had the wrong one selected and now my account only opens with the wrong precinct info, and i cant see how to change it to the correct precinct. im 'stuck' with teh wrong precicnt. there needs to be either a way to change it or a contact link to ask for it to be changed to the correct one. thanks

I think it was mentioned that it's hard to change if the wrong precinct is picked. It'd be nice if it was made easier to change/correct.

I had selected my precinct, then clicked on the map, and it caused my precinct choice to revert back to default.

If I hadn't noticed and then clicked "enter" after checking the map I'd have been assigned the wrong precinct too.

a2planet2
12-30-2007, 03:56 PM

Thanks; I'll fix this.

Which browser do you use? It doesn't do this for mine

Fixed the extra Green. I guess I could change the T's to L's; in the RNC they actually have "L" and "C" for the Liberal and Conservatives parties, which don't exist...

[QUOTE=ASayre;751088]Also, the party registration is NOT showing for me in the precinct walk list. It only shows for me when updating data. It would be nice if we could filter the walk sheet by party.

Will fix this

Will fix this

Once this thing is stable my main job will probably be plugging in inbound updates from the back.

Andre Sayre

Thanks!

LibertyEagle
12-30-2007, 04:03 PM
bump

ASayre
12-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Which browser do you use? It doesn't do this for mine

Firefox 2.0.0.11, XP. Only on the first screen when choosing the password and choosing the precinct.

a2planet2
12-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Firefox 2.0.0.11, XP. Only on the first screen when choosing the password and choosing the precinct.

OK, I think I fixed all of these things that I said I would, try it now.

rooteroa
12-30-2007, 05:07 PM
wow this is incredible - i already printed out my precinct list - gonna get started soon :D

a2planet2
12-30-2007, 06:02 PM
OK, I fixed it so that it remembers what you had filled in if your submission was invalid.

Next: fixing the "Print a map of my precinct" to be better, then figuring out the party ID stuff for party-ID states

a2planet2
12-30-2007, 06:21 PM
UPDATE: Added the permitted total to be 150, up from 100, so more people can try it out.

Also: I know the precinct feedback form is messed up. Will have fixed by tomorrow.

TaxProtester
12-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Email issues:

Signed up for 4 accounts using several of the email adds that I have. 2 of which were bellsouth.net and 1 was at gmail.com and 1 was at hotmail.com

1. Never got email with temp password at signup for my bellsouth email accounts, did get the email for the gmail account signup and did get for hotmail signup. Did check all folders including spam and possible spam, etc for the bellsouth accounts. Hotmail did mark as junk. (standard setting)
2. Never got email for "invite friend" for any
3. Never got email for "forgot password" for any

been about 20 hours wait time the first bellsouth account for the other bellsouth address (about 2 hours and counting)

Didnt know there was a user limit in place. Was just trying to figure out if i was getting the signup emails or not.

jdmetz
12-30-2007, 06:37 PM
I only submitted bug reports earlier - I didn't think about posting them here as well.

1) The server sending e-mail updates claims to have a domain name that doesn't actually exist (or didn't last night), so my mail server was bouncing tghe messages. Once I configured it to accept such messages, the password e-mails came through fine.

2) The password reminder e-mail didn't give me the right password.

Ronin
12-30-2007, 07:21 PM
OP, I can do some testing this evening and into the late hours tonight. Do you still need help? Also, I'll try to keep up with the thread, but do you have a current issues/fix list?

nc4rp
12-30-2007, 07:48 PM
should i just hang tight concerning the wrong precinct being loaded into my account im assuming?

stalcottsmith
12-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Adam.

You have hit a home run! In Florida we need to know just the Republicans after tomorrow. I don't think any party affiliations were used. Also what criteria was used for VIP or influence. I noticed several of my neighbors had the exclamation point, but I did not think they were a VIP. Also, I noticed the data base is not up to date. My daughter changed her voter registration to Tallahassee about a year ago and she is still listed as a registered voter here. I also noticed a few omissions. Anyway, I want to change my first statement. You have not hit a home run. You have hit a grand slam!

Joe, I built a system for Florida with a more powerful search capability as well as volunteer tracking. It has 45 users already and we have been using it for a month or two. I was just adding the precinct walk list feature and stumbled across this link. I also just stumbled across the advokit system.

Private message me and I will get you an invite. I think there is room for both databases but seeing this makes me want to give the developer a few suggestions and also will help me focus.

The advantage the Ron Paul database has is that it appears to integrate the Republican Party Voter Vault issue orientation fields. "Pro-gun", "pro-life", etc. However, voter vault has limitations and I am not convinced it has the latest data.

We have started requesting "New Republican Registrations" from our counties and will be integrating those next week.

Steven

EDIT: This is really awesome. Job well done Adam! Please filter out non-republicans. At this point for us in FL, everything else is a distraction.

Mark
12-30-2007, 08:29 PM
should i just hang tight concerning the wrong precinct being loaded into my account im assuming?

did you email Adam through the feedback form?

nc4rp
12-30-2007, 08:35 PM
by clicking "update progress"? yes, but theres no form , i just had to fill it out in a field beside teh top name

i did send an actual form submission yesterday- "report bug" but thats blacked out now. it was about never receiving an email confirmation, still havnt.

BlueGecko
12-30-2007, 08:57 PM
bump

Mark
12-30-2007, 09:02 PM
by clicking "update progress"? yes, but theres no form , i just had to fill it out in a field beside teh top name

i did send an actual form submission yesterday- "report bug" but thats blacked out now. it was about never receiving an email confirmation, still havnt.

Did you save his email address that shows after submiting the form? That's how I sent my "official" report.

I'll PM you it so it's not all over the board.

Ronin
12-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Here's what I have. Does the bug report actually send an email or do I need to manually send to the email address displayed?

- When sending multiple invite emails it CC's everyone. Probably should send in separate emails or BCC
- When sending invite emails there is no space between fname and lname
- When clicking "I forgot my password" button on the login page with nothing in the form it gives an error, but still submits.

There needs to be a return added:

if (document.form.email.value=="") {
themessage = "Please enter your email address";
<return>
}
- Password is incorrect when getting password
- When requesting forgotten password, you get this after the submit:

Check your email for your password.Sorry, that password is incorrect. Would you like to try again?
- When inviting and email field is blank it just reloads. Maybe add some javascript like on the login page
- Multiple entries in precinct dropdown
- After Signing out I can still hit back in browser and navigate site

a2planet2
12-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Here's what I have. Does the bug report actually send an email or do I need to manually send to the email address displayed?

Sorry about the lack of response for the last several hours... I got called away to eat and relax for a moment. But I plan on fixing everything between now and the New Year... so we can hype this as the turning point where the official campaign connects with the grassroots. I've got county/state/national admin utilities coming up for testing today or tomorrow. The bug report form works; use that for now and I'l hopefully have a stable version ready for the new year.

rooteroa
12-30-2007, 11:58 PM
bump, this is awesome!

Ronin
12-31-2007, 12:04 AM
Sorry about the lack of response for the last several hours... I got called away to eat and relax for a moment. But I plan on fixing everything between now and the New Year... so we can hype this as the turning point where the official campaign connects with the grassroots. I've got county/state/national admin utilities coming up for testing today or tomorrow. The bug report form works; use that for now and I'l hopefully have a stable version ready for the new year.

Great! A quick question. If we find multiple bugs, do you prefer 1 single "summary" bug report or a report for each bug?

pilby
12-31-2007, 12:51 AM
this is awesome! i almost spent several hundred dollars buying these voter lists because when i contacted the campaign about it months ago, i got a canned reply saying, "sign up as a volunteer on the website and you'll be contacted if we need you for anything." i've signed up (twice i think) and have yet to be contacted at all by the campaign. time is ticking and i want to use my time effectively.

too bad we didn't have this sooner. i can only hope the early state volunteers have had adequate interaction and support by the campaign up till this point.

pilby
12-31-2007, 12:58 AM
is there any way that captains are going to be able to get a break on buying yard signs and slim jims? i plan on doing a lot, but i've already donated over a grand to the campaign and bought and distributed a lot of campaign material and spending another several hundred bucks on signs and fliers is gonna be tough.

austin4paul
12-31-2007, 02:58 AM
First of all - Awesome tool, and I'm happy to see our hard-earned donations have been put to good use!

Second - mostly great, a few suggestions:

1) No party affiliation shows up on either pdf walk list or the database. This is publically available for my county, but would be nice to have in 1 place.

2) Ditto for prior voting history.

3) Donor $$$ -- what's this mean? Is this a donor to the Ron Paul campaign or just in general they've donated to political causes before? Would be REALLY great to have a list of people who have joined and/or donated to the official campaign as a starting place to get help canvassing. I'm sure I'm not the only Ron Paul supporter in my precinct!! Please share what you can in terms of who the donors and supporters in my precinct are.

4) Navigating: Once you go into the "report feedback" for precinct data, there's no way to navigate back to the main menu. Add a nav bar?

5) Precinct map - already been noted there's no boundary lines so maybe better language would be "view an area map" instead of calling it a precinct map, which it isn't.

princessredtights
12-31-2007, 08:50 AM
is there any way that captains are going to be able to get a break on buying yard signs and slim jims? i plan on doing a lot, but i've already donated over a grand to the campaign and bought and distributed a lot of campaign material and spending another several hundred bucks on signs and fliers is gonna be tough.

I would suggest that you work with your local meetup group, pool your money together and buy he supplies for your area (if you haven't done this already).

Our meetup group has quite the stock of supplies - we pitch in!

princessredtights
12-31-2007, 08:54 AM
I just signed up for this last night and emailed the leadership team of our local meetup - wowee - what a tool!

I will say that right now, I've focusing my Saturday afternoons to help out the Washington state group with their canvassing because their primary is in February (3 months before ours) ... after Washington, I'm all over this report!

I do like how the last page of the report tells you how many of which kind of slim jims you will need - COOL!!!

jblosser
12-31-2007, 09:00 AM
2) Where is Primary voting history? Most important data there is.

QFT. Numbers are good but not enough. Vote history is way too valuable to not list.

a2planet2
12-31-2007, 01:46 PM
The bug report form sends the email.

a2planet2
12-31-2007, 02:12 PM
1) No party affiliation shows up on either pdf walk list or the database. This is publically available for my county, but would be nice to have in 1 place.

Texas isn't a party-affiliated state--any registered voter can vote in the Texas Republican Primary as long as they don't vote in the Democrat Primary. Party affiliation only shows up for the 30 states where you indicate party affiliation on your voter registration.

2) Ditto for prior voting history.

I'll look at it again, but I left vote history out because I don't think it's going to be a helpful indicator. In my group we have former employees of the Bush 2000 campaign and we have former Democrats and people who have never voted before. We don't want precinct captains pre-judging their voters by their history.

3) Donor $$$ -- what's this mean? Is this a donor to the Ron Paul campaign or just in general they've donated to political causes before? Would be REALLY great to have a list of people who have joined and/or donated to the official campaign as a starting place to get help canvassing. I'm sure I'm not the only Ron Paul supporter in my precinct!! Please share what you can in terms of who the donors and supporters in my precinct are.

This is an RNC factor that rates a person's likelihood to donate. The system isn't integrated with the Ron Paul campaign's database yet.

4) Navigating: Once you go into the "report feedback" for precinct data, there's no way to navigate back to the main menu. Add a nav bar?

The "report feedback" screen opens in a new window, so you can just close it to go back to the main menu. I'll see about making navigation more user-friendly.

5) Precinct map - already been noted there's no boundary lines so maybe better language would be "view an area map" instead of calling it a precinct map, which it isn't.

Will do.

a2planet2
12-31-2007, 02:56 PM
Great! A quick question. If we find multiple bugs, do you prefer 1 single "summary" bug report or a report for each bug?

Probably 1 summary report is easier

erin moore
12-31-2007, 02:59 PM
I have signed up to be a captain and the original password you the site provided does not work now. After requesting it be sent to me again, it sends a different (longer) one and that one does not work either. I don't see a way to contact excpet throught the "bug" link and that is not operable for me.

Is there anything you can do about this?

ASayre
12-31-2007, 03:03 PM
I can no longer log in, asayre <AT> gmail (D.O.T) com - The pword didn't work, I tried to reset it, and the reset password isn't correct..

austin4paul
12-31-2007, 04:35 PM
The "report a bug" does not work for me.

1) Notes not saving properly? Yesterday, I added notes to 2 voters (they used to live at my address so I indicated they had moved). Today, the note was there on 1 of the voters, but not the 2nd one. I'm adding a few more notes today and will see what happens when I log out and log back in. [Edit: confirmed that for whatever reason, it will not let me save a note for this one voter. weird, because I just tried and successfully saved notes on about 8 others.]

2) Members/donors - it would be really nice to have a list of people who've signed up at the website to join the campaign and/or donated. I guess once reports are filed with the FEC we'll be able to look up donors on our own, but would be nice if you could just make that easy for us and also let us know if there's any folks in our pct who joined the campaign but didn't donate.

jblosser
12-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Texas isn't a party-affiliated state--any registered voter can vote in the Texas Republican Primary as long as they don't vote in the Democrat Primary.

This is true...

I'll look at it again, but I left vote history out because I don't think it's going to be a helpful indicator. In my group we have former employees of the Bush 2000 campaign and we have former Democrats and people who have never voted before. We don't want precinct captains pre-judging their voters by their history.

...which is why we NEED voting history! I have thousands of registered voters on my block, I need some good way to prioritze them. 5 of them voted in the Republican primary in 96 and 00 but did not vote in the general in 00 or 04. Those are probably anti-Bush Republicans and they are prime targets for me. I don't get that info from the GOP's "conservative index" number, even though it's based on the same data, just pre-judged on the GOP's terms and not mine (they give me like a 61 even though I've been 100% a Ron Paul Republican for like 20 years; they rank me down because I didn't vote for Bush in 00 or 04).

Whatever you have in your local area, my area is going to be different. Give me the info and let me decide. Local government and local decisions, remember. :-)

nc4rp
12-31-2007, 06:25 PM
the 'report bug' link is blacked out with no link.

JojobaJunebug
12-31-2007, 07:07 PM
I just tried to sign up and it came pack with a blank page when I hit the "I pledge button" Is is supposed to be working yet?

pilby
12-31-2007, 09:09 PM
...which is why we NEED voting history!

i agree. my thinking tends to go something like this - if someone is registered to vote but hasn't voted in 15 years, they're not going to be as high a priority for me as someone who has voted every single primary and general (this person probably takes it pretty seriously and probably talks politics to their friends... what they call a "super-voter"?)

i was wondering where the ranking number comes from. i've voted every election since i've been registered and have never taken a GOP poll of any kind. yet they have me down as a 65....? my brother and my wife are also down as 65's for some odd reason.

pilby
01-02-2008, 03:08 PM
so... this is now in "phase 2" of testing? does that mean if we sign up again we are actually committed to being precinct captains and our accounts will be permanent? is phase 2 by invitation only? info, please!! i'm very eager to get this system going and start using it.

ASayre
01-03-2008, 12:07 AM
OK, I fixed it so that it remembers what you had filled in if your submission was invalid.

Next: fixing the "Print a map of my precinct" to be better, then figuring out the party ID stuff for party-ID states

It only remembers the first password field, not the 2nd verification one.

Here's me hoping for Voter registration on the Precint lists for CA! :D