PDA

View Full Version : Fred Thompson to announce in mid-August

Bradley in DC
07-12-2007, 08:25 AM
Thompson eyes August kick-off (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/07/11/thompson-eyes-august-kick-off/)
Thompson is likely to launch his presidential bid in August.
WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson is now likely to announce his presidential campaign in August, not mid-July as previously envisioned and will skip the Republican straw poll in Ames, Iowa, people familiar with Thompson’s thinking tell CNN.

The campaign-in-waiting is still being put together, and Thompson supporters say they want to have “100 percent” of the staff in place by the time of the announcement.

“Expectations are through the roof,” said one source. “We have to match those at every level. . . . We have to be more ready than any of these other guys.”

Republican presidential candidates Rudy Giuliani and John McCain both announced in June they would skip the Iowa Republican party’s presidential straw poll, scheduled for August 11.

Thompson created a state-level presidential exploratory committee in Tennessee in June.

– CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley

LibertyBelle
07-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Does anyone play games more than this guy, who reminds me of Jabba the Hut?

He conveniently misses a bunch of debates, which he will miss the August one also. This guy is a charlatan and a good for nothing weasel. I am utterly and thoroughly disgusted with the pig. :eek:

beermotor
07-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Do everything you can to spread that feeling around the Net. It is important to get the word out that this is clearly a tactic to minimize his negative exposure. He has no positives.

nexalacer
07-12-2007, 09:03 AM
I wonder what's with these big names backing out of this major event (or in Freddie the Hutt's case, showing up after the lights have been turned out and everyone's been sent home!). If it continues, I can just see the MSM using it as an excuse to not show Ron Paul's domination at this event and others like it, with a headline something along the lines of "Ron Paul: Big Fish in a Small Pond?". It's also pretty shrewd on the big names parts.... "If we're gonna lose to Dr. Paul, might as well not show up!"

DjLoTi
07-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Why would he join in now when he's riding near the top of the polls? As soon as he joins, he'll be demolished... ripped apart... best for him to ride the polls until last minute to attempt to hold his stature.