PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the new immigration ad?

born2drv
12-29-2007, 09:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T-iJKwskH4

yongrel
12-29-2007, 09:23 PM
meh

ItsTime
12-29-2007, 09:23 PM
yes

literatim
12-29-2007, 09:24 PM
Yes, very much.

saahmed
12-29-2007, 09:25 PM
I'm kind of upset with the last statement. No more student visas from terrorist nations? What exactly does that mean? I know several people who came from Pakistan on student visas and have become successful U.S. citizens.

K1RBY
12-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Love It!!!

enjoiskaterguy
12-29-2007, 09:27 PM
its ok...it goes on the offensive very harsh and kind of points fingers at people. I'm all for legal immigration and stuff don't get me wrong...just the add was like the other person said "meh"

0zzy
12-29-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm kind of upset with the last statement. No more student visas from terrorist nations? What exactly does that mean? I know several people who came from Pakistan on student visas and have become successful U.S. citizens.

I don't think Pakistan is listed as a terrorist nation. I also think that Ron Paul is talking about more strict with such nations, since they are easy to obtain. I also think his campaign is looking for some votes in Iowa and other Republicans.

born2drv
12-29-2007, 09:28 PM
I don't know why people are upset by it. Ron Paul is not saying "lets go on offense" or using this as an excuse to attack anyone. He still believes in non-intervention, and a strong defense. I'm very happy he's running this ad to hit him this point. It's the federal governments job to keep us safe, but not to dictate/attack sovereign nations.

Tina
12-29-2007, 09:28 PM
It's a good ad for a target audience. Nothing wrong with that. It's not my main issue, but it is for many people. I think it's effective.

Ibtz
12-29-2007, 09:29 PM
Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

KCIndy
12-29-2007, 09:29 PM
I wish they would revise the ad just a little:

Add a line about how Dr. Paul welcomes LEGAL immigrants to a country which was built BY immigrants. Everyone should be welcome as long as rule of law is followed.

FreedomLover
12-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Awesome ad! When it comes to common sense national defense, RP is right on.

FreedomLover
12-29-2007, 09:31 PM

Add a line about how Dr. Paul welcomes LEGAL immigrants to a country which was built BY immigrants. Everyone should be welcome as long as rule of law is followed.

First 7 seconds of the ad. :rolleyes:

Real_CaGeD
12-29-2007, 09:31 PM

The fed is too busy funding illegals to do the paper work for those that have followed procedure and do things correctly.

militant
12-29-2007, 09:33 PM
... that wins uncommitted voters. yes we libertarians often believe in open borders, and that would be my preference personally. but at a time when we've kicked so many hornet nests and have so many threats (yes, i see the threats as real, i just don't buy into the reasonings or solutions offered by the other candidates), an open border is a very bad idea.

now, let's take the 'terrorist nations' item. 15 of the 19 hijackers were saudi. that doesn't make every saudi a terrorist, it makes saudi suspect in general, and i don't have a problem with saying "Country X has been exporting a lot of terrorism, either via government or otherwise, so let's stop letting them in without very good reason, for a while, til they clean up a bit."

this ad will grab attention in IA

Ron Paul Fan
12-29-2007, 09:33 PM
I support the ad and Ron Paul 100%. I've been a little rattled at all of the people who have been threatening to switch to Obama and accusing Ron Paul of misrepresenting his politicial philosophy that he's held for 30 years though. I think we're starting to see who the true supporters are and who has been sent here by the other candidates to smear Ron Paul. Don't fall for it! We are well defended against all enemies foreign. But we should be much more careful about defending against all enemies domestic.

katao
12-29-2007, 09:34 PM
To all those upset about the ad:

I am an open-borders libertarian and even I can accept the ad. Ron Paul talks tough because he cares so much about national sovereignty. But he doesn't do it because of racism or protectionism. Once illegal immigration is under control, Dr. Paul will welcome legal immigrants. And once we pull our troops out of the rest of the world, "terrorist nations" threatening the U.S. won't exist!

PLEASE, see the forest from the trees!

mosquitobite
12-29-2007, 09:36 PM
It's a good ad for a target audience. Nothing wrong with that. It's not my main issue, but it is for many people. I think it's effective.

Same here.

olehounddog
12-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Seems fine to me. So, yes I approve.

SewrRatt
12-29-2007, 09:37 PM

This is what the first part of the ad was about.

To the naysayers: I'm an anarcho-capitalist but if we have to have a federal government then it's that government's job to make sure visitors from outside the country don't commit crimes while they're here. Also given the existence of the welfare state, it makes perfect sense to keep people who came here illegally from (re-)stealing my tax dollars. I too had mixed feelings at first about the part about terrorist nations, but it doesn't change Dr. Paul's positions at all, it only states them in a way that is appealing to Republicans. Any political gain Ron is trying to make with this isn't selfish; it's so he can get in office, give himself a pay cut and then give us back as many of our freedoms as he can. The ad is merely combating the untrue assertion that Ron is weak on defense.

Duckman
12-29-2007, 09:43 PM
This ad would be 1000% better if the "end student visas from terrorist nations" line was removed, and nothing else changed. Then I would say this is about the best RP ad ever. However, that single line has turned the stomach of alot of hardcore RP supporters, although I must admit it probably will play well to mainstream conservatives.

FreedomLover
12-29-2007, 09:45 PM
This ad would be 1000% better if the "end student visas from terrorist nations" line was removed, and nothing else changed. Then I would say this is about the best RP ad ever. However, that single line has turned the stomach of alot of hardcore RP supporters, although I must admit it probably will play well to mainstream conservatives.

That line made it perfect for me.

Remember, this is a republican primary. Republicans don't like namby-pampy political correctness. They want a person who's serious about terrorism!

Liberty Star
12-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Ron Paul on the issues:

Pass true immigration reform. The current system is incoherent and unfair. But current reform proposals would allow up to 60 million more immigrants into our country, according to the Heritage Foundation. This is insanity. Legal immigrants from all countries should face the same rules and waiting periods.

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues/border-security-and-immigration-reform/

Sounds like a very sound policy to me.

I think new controversial immig ad should be pulled from YT site as well as from any TV spots. You can't make everyone happy when you have a big tent but we shouldn't compromise on key issues either and be seen as contradictory to win a few votes.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=748446&postcount=141

Duckman
12-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Remember, this is a republican primary. Republicans don't like namby-pampy political correctness. They want a person who's serious about terrorism!

True, but the grassroots got Ron Paul where he is now. Alienating the broad Ron Paul grassroots coalition is a severely bad idea.

defcreative
12-29-2007, 09:50 PM
I think this is a very strong ad for the target Iowa audience. If people would remember that then I think there would be a better response to it.

amistybleu
12-29-2007, 09:51 PM
by Ron Paul, Dr. January 7, 2002

January 7, 2002

The terrible events of September 11th brought the issue of immigration reform squarely into the public spotlight. Most of the terrorist hijackers involved in the attacks were in the country illegally, having gained entrance using student visas that had later expired. The INS now admits that potentially tens of millions of aliens in the country are unaccounted for, many having simply disappeared after passing through customs. This in turn leads to fears that numerous terrorist cells may be operating within the U.S. and plotting future acts of terror. No amount of military might used abroad does us much good if the American people are not safe in their own communities.

Immigration policy must now be considered a matter of national security. America has the same sovereign right to defend itself against enemies when the enemy attacks us from within. Common sense tells us that we currently should not be admitting aliens from nations that sponsor or harbor terrorists, or from nations with whom we are at war. There were many fine German-Americans in the U.S. during World War II, but we certainly did not allow open immigration from Germany until hostilities had ceased and loyalties could be determined. While we generally should welcome people from around the world whenever possible, we cannot allow potential enemies or terrorists to enter the country now under any circumstances. Legislation I introduced in the fall would restrict immigration, including the granting of heavily abused student visas, by individuals from nations listed as terrorist threats by the State department.

We also must do a better job keeping track of the noncitizens who already have been admitted to America. Individuals who remain in the country after their visas have expired must be treated as lawbreakers. Remember, only U.S. citizens have the constitutional right to be on American soil; non-citizens are in the country at the discretion of the State department. We should not tolerate lawless behavior or anti-American activities from guests in our country.

It is far better to focus our efforts on immigration reform and ridding our country of suspected terrorists than to restrict the constitutional liberties of our own citizens. The fight against terrorism should be fought largely at our borders. Once potential terrorists are in the country, the task of finding and arresting them becomes much harder, and the calls for intrusive government monitoring of all of us become louder. If we do not want to move in the direction of a police state at home, we must prevent terrorists from entering the country in the first place.

Finally, meaningful immigration reform can only take place when we end the welfare state. No one has a right to immigrate to America and receive benefits paid for by taxpayers. When we eliminate welfare incentives, we insure that only those who truly seek America’s freedoms and opportunities will want to come here.

FreedomLover
12-29-2007, 09:52 PM
True, but the grassroots got Ron Paul where he is now. Alienating the broad Ron Paul grassroots coalition is a severely bad idea.

I'm not alienated. And according to the poll, 90% don't feel alienated at all either.

Yes, it's a big tent. But we have to remember that unimportant issues like the term "terrorist nations' being used in an ad is a drop in a very huge bucket. People like james1844 are getting really too crazy over such an arbitrary line of text.

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-29-2007, 09:55 PM
I think Ron would prefer open-borders being a free-marketeer, but in the current day and age we cannot afford it. He used to be more lenient, but we are being fleeced and bankrupted by it.
His stance is purely an economical one.

As for student visas, the USA has no obligation to school foreigners in our universities.. especially from the terrorist-prone nations. The 9/11 bombers had student visas.. some were like 35-40 years old LOL.

literatim
12-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Ron Paul on the issues:

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues/border-security-and-immigration-reform/

Sounds like a very sound policy to me.

I think new controversial immig ad should be pulled from YT site as well as from any TV spots. You can't make everyone happy when you have a big tent but we shouldn't compromise on key issues either and be seen as contradictory to win a few votes.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=748446&postcount=141

Repeating this crap over and over doesn't change the fact that visas have absolutely nothing to do with immigration.

RonPaulCult
12-29-2007, 09:56 PM
I think the production value is the best yet - up there with the "big boys"

I think the message is strong and effective.

I think the last statement is horrible and I want HQ to get rid of it.

I somewhat disapprove

OptionsTrader
12-29-2007, 09:59 PM
I think it's fine.

Liberty Star
12-29-2007, 10:00 PM
I think the production value is the best yet - up there with the "big boys"

I think the message is strong and effective.

I think the last statement is horrible and I want HQ to get rid of it.

I somewhat disapprove

+1

I could be pragmatic and accept its use in limited markets as a sin with good intent, it certainly is not the ad to put on web site and risk alienating a sizable segment of supporters.

mosquitobite
12-29-2007, 10:02 PM
over 75% approve :) Good poll!

Ron Paul Fan
12-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Yep, and only 6% of the population strongly disaproves of this ad. I fail to see the evidence that shows that this ad will alienate a sizable segment of supporters. If anything, it will gain supporters. The only people who will be turned off are liberals who were never going to vote for Ron Paul anyway. I look forward to doing well in Iowa with the help of this fantastic ad.

born2drv
12-29-2007, 10:21 PM
I agree... if most of us love the ad, Iowa will eat it up... way to go HQ!

derekjohnson
12-29-2007, 10:22 PM
love the ad. The best ad put out by teh campaign thus far.

paulitics
12-29-2007, 10:23 PM
big thumbs up.

FreedomLover
12-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Perfect ad for Iowa and New Hampshire. Immigration and National Defense are the two biggest issues for Republicans, so this is a homerun ad for RP.

Spirit of '76
12-29-2007, 10:31 PM
It's a great ad. I'm glad to see them running it.

They've sent out mailers here in WV containing the same info.

Those left-leaning types who are shocked by this ad would probably become apoplectic were they to see the national defense mailer that went out here.

hasan
12-29-2007, 10:41 PM
i dont like that the ad generalizes all students from so called terrorist nations to be threats. this wasnt even an issue that needed to be addressed. why create controversy by bringing up something that wasnt even questioned in the first place?

born2drv
12-29-2007, 11:00 PM
bump for more votes

Liberty Star
12-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Yep, and only 6% of the population strongly disaproves of this ad. I fail to see the evidence that shows that this ad will alienate a sizable segment of supporters. If anything, it will gain supporters. The only people who will be turned off are liberals who were never going to vote for Ron Paul anyway. I look forward to doing well in Iowa with the help of this fantastic ad.

That is a rather simplistic analysis. What %age of voters you think will vote for a candidate who labels other countries as 'evil', 'axis of evil' or 'terrorist nations'? Not many at all in 08.
This is a nuance in bigger scheme of things but it is pretty important seen in conjunction with our recent war and foreign policies.

Tancredo was against visas for students from 'terrorist nations' more so than this ad's tone suggests RP is, where did he end up?

Ron Paul campaign is making a blunder here imo.

mavtek
12-29-2007, 11:24 PM
I somewhat approve because it will help get Ron Paul elected. End of story.

Ron Paul Fan
12-29-2007, 11:28 PM
That is a rather simplistic analysis. What %age of voters you think will vote for a candidate who labels other countries as 'evil', 'axis of evil' or 'terrorist nations'? Not many at all in 08.
This is a nuance in bigger scheme of things but it is pretty important seen in conjunction with our recent war and foreign policies.

Tancredo was against visas for students from 'terrorist nations' more so than this ad's tone suggests RP is, where did he end up?

Ron Paul campaign is making a blunder here imo.

Tancredo is a neo-con sell out. He never had anywhere near the support that Paul did so that's a terrible comparison. Ron Paul didn't label any country as evil or axis of evil. Not sure where you're getting that from. In fact, Ron Paul is the only Republican candidate who doesn't want to nuke Iran or keep destroying Iraq. The Ron Paul campaign is making a triumph here imo.

kutibah
12-29-2007, 11:31 PM
I agree, it is a TARGET ad at a certain demographic. Therefore I approve, but in general, I'm neutral.

ChickenHawk
12-29-2007, 11:34 PM
I think a quite a few people jumped on the Ron Paul bandwagon when they heard that he wants to end the drug war and end the war in Iraq. Now they are slowly finding out that he is a conservative Republican and they are shocked.

timosman
07-30-2017, 10:35 AM
bump