PDA

View Full Version : RP Needs $23 Million: Screw it, the money bombs work, let's do more of them

aspiringconstitutionalist
12-29-2007, 09:22 PM
After 12/16, I thought I was all moneybombed out, and I advocated no more moneybombs, and I didn't think the MLK Day moneybomb was a good idea, but word is out now that Ron has requested $23 million within the next few weeks. Hate to say it, but I don't think we would have beaten the $12 million goal this quarter without the moneybombs--they work. They energize a lot of people to donate more than they normally would. Regardless of how I previously felt about some of the proposed moneybombs, I say we get on board with them.

adwads
12-29-2007, 09:27 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=68292

Let's go balls out and do $23 million in one day instead of spreading it out over 4 weeks. Face it, the campaign needs the money now to buy air time for Feb 5th. After Feb 5th, its all over. The time for action is now!

I suggest a $23 million "money nuke" on January 7, the anniversary of the First American Presidential Election (which was on January 7, 1789). Raising the money by Jan. 7th will give them enough time to spend it all before Feb. 5.

The official website says that about 130,000 people have already donated this quarter. If each of those people only donates $175, that will equal $23 million dollars. That's right! Each person only needs to donate $175.

And also, I suggest that we make a separate subforum for topics related to raising $23 million dollars.

12-29-2007, 09:28 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=68292

Let's go balls out and do $23 million in one day instead of spreading it out over 4 weeks. Face it, the campaign needs the money now to buy air time for Feb 5th. After Feb 5th, its all over. The time for action is now!

I suggest a $23 million "money nuke" on January 7, the anniversary of the First American Presidential Election (which was on January 7, 1789). Raising the money by Jan. 7th will give them enough time to spend it all before Feb. 5.

The official website says that about 130,000 people have already donated this quarter. If each of those people only donates $175, that will equal $23 million dollars. That's right! Each person only needs to donate $175.

And also, I suggest that we make a separate subforum for topics related to raising $23 million dollars.

There's some problems with this idea, as I posted in that thread you linked...

You get an A+ for ambition, though. :)

chiplitfam
12-29-2007, 09:30 PM
What is Trevor saying?

bc2208
12-29-2007, 09:31 PM
They energize a lot of people to donate more than they normally would.

lol...so true

(looks at wallet :eek:)

adwads
12-29-2007, 09:32 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=748396#post748396

5 moneybombs on 5 birthdays in American history to earn the $23 million dollars before Feb 5th.

Jan 1 - PAUL REVERE's birthday.

Jan 12 - JOHN HANCOCK's birthday.

Jan 17 - BENJAMIN FRANKLIN's birthday.

Jan 21 - MARTIN LUTHER KING JR.'s birthday.

Jan 29 - THOMAS PAINE's birthday.

jblosser
12-29-2007, 09:33 PM
They are awesome on their own, the problem is when people want to do one every 4 days. I don't think we can realistically field more than one major one a month at most, with decent lead time.

Real_CaGeD
12-29-2007, 09:33 PM
total of 23 mill?

The 23 million dollar man money bomb.

voytechs
12-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Money bombs work. Spreading donations out evenly on Friday's etc, doesn't motivate people. Big money days do. May be the campaign needs to get engaged too in promoting a specific date. With the huge list of hundreds of thousands of previous donors, we can do it in 2 money bombs.

skinzterpswizfan
12-29-2007, 09:34 PM
We need to raise as much money as soon as possible. They are talking about spending this money on the Feb 5th states so raising at the end of January won't really help for those states.

parke
12-29-2007, 09:36 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=748396#post748396

5 moneybombs on 5 birthdays in American history to earn the $23 million dollars before Feb 5th.

Jan 1 - PAUL REVERE's birthday.

Jan 12 - JOHN HANCOCK's birthday.

Jan 17 - BENJAMIN FRANKLIN's birthday.

Jan 21 - MARTIN LUTHER KING JR.'s birthday.

Jan 29 - THOMAS PAINE's birthday.

+1 bump

MGreen
12-29-2007, 09:39 PM
I prefer the "pay check for Paul" idea. As I understand it, moneybombs were intended to bring media exposure in addition to the money, but after 12/16 it's clear that doesn't work any more. And now they need as much money as soon as possible.

12-29-2007, 09:41 PM
I prefer the "pay check for Paul" idea. As I understand it, moneybombs were intended to bring media exposure in addition to the money, but after 12/16 it's clear that doesn't work any more. And now they need as much money as soon as possible.

Well, getting media attention was part of it, but moneybombs get us all excited and make us dig a lot deeper than we normally would. If you were to take out the 2 big moneybombs from our Q4 fundraising so far, we would have only come up with about $8 million this whole quarter. Moneybombs bring in more cash--they make people feel like they're a part of something huge, which they are.

B9vot3r
12-29-2007, 09:41 PM
wed need HUGE numbers to do this. we could pull of 2 at max within that time period, dec 31'st excluded i imagine.

with weekly's i feel like we could do 200k for each... people just wont be able to fund that frequently.

think about it logically. people usually get paid twice per month. i think that asking for more than one donation per pay period is unreasonable even for the more well off supporters.

if we can get two big days of 100k donors at 100$ avg donation per person, then that would be our only shot.

Problems. Many of our more active donors are tapped out as theyve exceeded their limit. I know a lot of people who said they donated more than 100 on dec 17th yet the avg donation was still about 110$. If those more zealous donors are tapped or otherwise cant afford to contribute anymore than there is no shot for success if all we have left are people throwing in 25$ (but still is better than nothing).

I would encourage 2 big days in january. no more no less, if we want to even come close to hoping to get this done. Even then i dont expect that wed reach that goal, but if we can even take the brunt of half of that, in one month that would be amazing!

the other solution? forge RP's name on the application for matching funds.

12-29-2007, 09:57 PM
wed need HUGE numbers to do this. we could pull of 2 at max within that time period, dec 31'st excluded i imagine.

with weekly's i feel like we could do 200k for each... people just wont be able to fund that frequently.

think about it logically. people usually get paid twice per month. i think that asking for more than one donation per pay period is unreasonable even for the more well off supporters.

if we can get two big days of 100k donors at 100$ avg donation per person, then that would be our only shot.

Problems. Many of our more active donors are tapped out as theyve exceeded their limit. I know a lot of people who said they donated more than 100 on dec 17th yet the avg donation was still about 110$. If those more zealous donors are tapped or otherwise cant afford to contribute anymore than there is no shot for success if all we have left are people throwing in 25$ (but still is better than nothing).

I would encourage 2 big days in january. no more no less, if we want to even come close to hoping to get this done. Even then i dont expect that wed reach that goal, but if we can even take the brunt of half of that, in one month that would be amazing!

the other solution? forge RP's name on the application for matching funds.

Our only solution is to expand the donor base. Every single one of us needs to convert 5 new people within the next couple weeks.

12-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Man, I'm surprised how many people are voting "No, money bombs are a bad idea"

I'm also surprised that none of those people are posting here with WHY they think they're a bad idea at this point... Not being condescending, I'm just curious. If there are good reasons we should avoid more moneybombs at this point in the game, then we should talk about 'em.

B9vot3r
12-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Why not have a money bomb weekend? say on the 20th and 21st. gives people a chance to build up money for the month to save it for the event.

it would coincide with Vijay's MLK day effort.

Its very close to the RP pay day scheme for every friday getting paid.

midnight forced everyone to flood the servers on the 17-18th... if that were extended 'officially' into the next day... i think wed be doing really well.

thoughts?

12-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Why not have a money bomb weekend? say on the 20th and 21st. gives people a chance to build up money for the month to save it for the event.

it would coincide with Vijay's MLK day effort.

Its very close to the RP pay day scheme for every friday getting paid.

midnight forced everyone to flood the servers on the 17-18th... if that were extended 'officially' into the next day... i think wed be doing really well.

thoughts?

That's a good idea, but we should also try to get a buttload of money into Ron's coffers earlier on in the month, since they need to buy the advertisement slots asap to get in by 2/5.

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Depends on IOWA and NH... poor performance there will take a lot of wind out of the sails.

His current money needs to go to FL, CA, and TX.... screw the rest of the states

deehrler
12-29-2007, 10:23 PM
I anted-up $100 on the last money bomb. I found out several days later via the internet that the transaction never happened. I put it back in on the 27th. If I had waited for the statement, RP still would not have it.

These money bombs put tremendous strain on the system. How many other contributions failed due to over capacity? Did those individuals do as I did, or do they even know about it to date? If we have additional money bombs, RP2008 ought be better prepared.

Since the last bomb I see pretty sad numbers coming in. Considering this is not a good time of the year to be raising money for politicians, it is difficult to decipher how well we are doing. But if the numbers keep dragging, I will be the first to plead BOMBS AWAY!

RonPaulVolunteer
12-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Just GIVE....

zaffa
12-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Ok, the 23 million dollar announcement has got a lot of people well...panicked. The anouncement is to say the least extrmely ambitious, though then again, so was $12 million 3 months ago. However, with the urgency of the announcement, people must realize that the campaign nedds CONSTANT cash and not moneybombs. Moneybombs stall the campaigns ability to make expenditures despite the media attention they might grab. From Dec. 16th, as well as other events over the last few months, we have only further solidified that the media is against us and will not give us the mainstream attention that we deserve. Therefore, the media attention that we gain from moneybombs will not work a third time, and as stated before, the campaign needs the money now.

Now as for what to do next. With the start of a new quesrter, donation caps reset. This means that even if you are maxed out now, you can still donate next quarter. We must therefore take advantage of this and MAX OUT NOW! Max out before this quarter ends, yes only two days left, I know, and then donate as much as possible, as quick as possible, next quarter. With a massive, and yet constant stream of cash, the campaign will flourish, far more thana moneybomb could at this point seeing as how the media will never give us attention for it as they have before. In short, donate as much as you can as quick as possible. time is of the essense people!

deehrler
12-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Leave January 29th to Huckee. Let him have the day for a bomb.

It is WC Fields birthday. "If at first you don't succeed try, try again. Then quit. There's no use in being a damn fool about it."

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-29-2007, 10:30 PM
If the campaign can't raise 23 million in a couple months, that means the support isn't there.

I'm sick of the burden on us 100,000 or so hardcores.

deehrler
12-30-2007, 12:55 AM
Don't panic. New people are jumping aboard every day. When I first saw the 4th quarter goal was $12mm, I laughed. Now that we are at nearly 20mm, I am humbled. We are not alone.

jrich4rpaul
12-30-2007, 01:01 AM
Yeah! Let's wait until right before the primaries and raise millions in one day! WHO CARES IF IT'LL BE TOO LATE TO FUCKING SPEND IT!?!?

Eric23
12-30-2007, 01:10 AM
I'm strapped for cash and I'm sure a good portion of you guys are as well. Time to get new voters to donate.

billybigrigger
12-30-2007, 01:14 AM
These money bombs put tremendous strain on the system. How many other contributions failed due to over capacity? Did those individuals do as I did, or do they even know about it to date? If we have additional money bombs, RP2008 ought be better prepared.

I agree. In following the money bomb on ronpaulcharts i realized that the upward trend of donation was too smooth, if you watched at the end of the day you could see more irregularities minute to minute as the rate of donations dropped off. The reason for the smooth steady growth along a constant growth curve to me means their system for collecting the donations was maxed out. Unless they triple their capacity for taking donations probably we maxed out their daily capacity the last time.

Im with others who are suggesting multi-day events. The days need to be close together to fuel momentum. Could the grassroots sustain a week long donation drive? A money flood/storm or some other catchy name?

Paul4Prez
12-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Money bombs work. If you don't like them, just donate today, as much as you can. The purpose of the money bombs is to get new donors involved, increase the excitement level so people don't postpone giving, and encourage people to give more than they would have otherwise.

Bombs away!

smartpeople4ronpaul
12-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Yes, money bombs are the way to go.