PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the Media Blackout with Positive Reinforcement

Hancock1776
05-13-2007, 07:48 PM
I've been wondering what might motivate the networks to end the media blackout of Ron Paul, and I'm hoping someone can help me formulate a strategy to overcome their aversion to him.

Obviously he threatens the military-industrial complex that owns much of the media. This might be the reason they ignore him, but they are also probably ignoring him because of his "official" lagging in the polls and comparatively diminutive funding. He doesn't fit the profile of a candidate who "deserves" coverage and so they don't cover him. There isn't necessarily any top-down conspiracy -- they're just too busy doing their day to day jobs to notice a dark horse pulling ahead at the grass roots.

That being the case, what can we do to motivate them to pay attention to him? Certainly writing angry letters has overcome a couple of hurdles: including him in their online polls; mentioning him in one little article. I've seen people insist on boycotts of advertisers who continue "censoring" Ron Paul.

But what if we adopted, instead of negative tactics like angry letters and boycotts, positive tactics, like writing them enthusiastic letters politely asking for more coverage of Ron Paul? We could b writing them our own press releases about how radically popular he is. The media loves to tell an interesting story, and we could make any number of interesting stories about Ron Paul:

# An original-principles faithful, as a pariah in his own party, overcomes the snobbery of those bad bad Republicans by running for President directly against their policies. An American folk hero is running for President!

# The Democrat tidal wave is coming, in the form of the well-funded Obama and Clinton campaigns, but there is one little-known white knight whose moral purity can stop them, and he's right under the nose of the Republican Party!

As long as we craft a narrative in which the villain is not the mainstream media, they have some potential for carrying that story. They're not going to demonize themselves, and after all of our negative reactions to their ignorance and stonewalling, it would be great to offer them a means of redeeming themselves.

The media is made up of people too, and we want those people to be free. Remember we are on their side, even if they are not on ours.

winston_blade
05-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Exactly, that is the way to go about it. I think that being positive will get us better noticed than being negative and sometimes, downright mean. I'm on your side.

Hancock1776
05-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence; I hoped this would resonate, because I truly believe only love wins. hate only destroys. Gandhi did not win India's freedom by sneering at the British and ranting about their evils. He acted in kindness, engaged in acts of freedom, and looked upon every person he met with the sincerest love, no matter how ill they treated him.

Therefore, everyone who reads this thread: please write any and all future letters and deliver all future calls with a positive, respectful tone. Begin with the media's perspective in mind. They might not even know there was ever a problem. Tell them the fascinating story of Ron Paul's popularity, the radical change he represents in the Republican Party, and how you want them and their news outlet to cover this amazing story, because it inspires their viewers so much their eyes will be glued to the screen/newspaper/magazine.

The message of freedom resonates with everyone, even reporters and columnists. They themselves are possible converts.

JoshLowry
05-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Well said Hancock, thanks for your input!

It's always nice to hear everyones viewpoints. I agree with your message of optimism. :)

libertythor
03-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Decided if one old post could get bumped, why not this one? :D LOL

VRP08
03-16-2008, 08:55 PM
:D SOMEONE PASS ON THE LIST OF EMAILS AND PHONE #'s

acptulsa
03-17-2008, 06:35 AM
Also handy to double that exposure if, when they do actually point a camera at him, we pose as not a rabid supporter but as "someone normal" (not my opinion, my take on their viewpoint) and praise them for finding someone who knows so much about whatever he talked about (presumably the economy). Then they may well read the letter at a later date, getting Dr. Paul's name on the screen again--and in a positive light.

They really like to read those letters they get praising them for finding knowledgable guests to interview.